Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Latro

Arcane
I'm sorry Lilura, I love IE games, but I can't get over the fact that you think the IWD games would have been improved by tying them up with one of the most cringeworthy emo mary-sue fantasy characters ever.

You've got some generally damn solid taste and opinions, so this was a bit awkward. Unless you meant that it'd have been a shitty idea but it'd have sold more copies, in which case I'd have to sadly agree.
Imagine how popular Icewind Dale would have been if it was an adventure based around Drizzt and his party (Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor and Regis). Especially if it was written by RAS himself.

that's not really an endorsement, just speculation

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
She likes BG and pretends to abhor storytelling. Seems like IWD should be her favourite IE game.

Recognizing what storytelling is in video games is not the same thing as hating storytelling. You can like games with great gameplay but also love one that prioritizes other things.

Thunar

Educated
Scorpia didn't like combat crawls, the only things they really have in common are crankiness and gender.
Yeah, she also didn't like BG, Goldbox and Darklands... I'm not saying that they have the same opinions, just that they're both unhealthily focused on what an RPG should look like to the point of ignoring what makes anything slightly different great. It's kind of sad really.

Latro

Arcane
Scorpia didn't like combat crawls, the only things they really have in common are crankiness and gender.
Yeah, she also didn't like BG, Goldbox and Darklands... I'm not saying that they have the same opinions, just that they're both unhealthily focused on what an RPG should look like to the point of ignoring what makes anything slightly different great. It's kind of sad really.
*looks at disco elysium*

nah, the concern is warranted

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm sorry Lilura, I love IE games, but I can't get over the fact that you think the IWD games would have been improved by tying them up with one of the most cringeworthy emo mary-sue fantasy characters ever.

You've got some generally damn solid taste and opinions, so this was a bit awkward. Unless you meant that it'd have been a shitty idea but it'd have sold more copies, in which case I'd have to sadly agree.
Imagine how popular Icewind Dale would have been if it was an adventure based around Drizzt and his party (Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor and Regis). Especially if it was written by RAS himself.

that's not really an endorsement, just speculation

But she also wrote:
The Icewind Dale Trilogy is a good read; I recommend reading it if you haven't already.

Salvatore is a good writer

This is the opposite of monocled taste. I can only hope Lilura is talking from nostalgia and that she was a teenager when reading the books and/or it was the first Fantasy she ever read.
I've only read the first one - The Crystal Shard - and found it barely above fan fiction level. But probably OK as "baby's first Fantasy book".

Anyway, I suspect a game with Drizzt&co would also have been much costlier to make and have been a poorer game overall.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I guess that's what Scorpia's blog would have looked like if she didn't disappear at the end of the 20th century.

I don't deserve to be mentioned alongside Scorpia.

I'm much better.

On RAS (since Octavius didn't quote the full passage):

iwd.jpg

special%2Bthanks.jpg

I have an annoucement to make as well -- scratch that.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Edit: I guess that's what Scorpia's blog would have looked like if she didn't disappear at the end of the 20th century.

What games did Scorpia actually like? I only ever heard about her when it was about disliking this or that game

Thunar

Educated
Edit: I guess that's what Scorpia's blog would have looked like if she didn't disappear at the end of the 20th century.

What games did Scorpia actually like? I only ever heard about her when it was about disliking this or that game

Eye of the beholder, Might and Magic (some of them, she didn't like 1 and 2), Ultima, that's what I remember off the top. She liked puzzles, some story and anything that looked like "real time" blobber combat. None of the games she liked were bad, she just had very reductive criticism towards any game that wasn't puzzle heavy or was too linear. Funny when considering that a lot of the games she criticized for being linear were actually pinnacles of non linearity.
She didn't like anything that had tactical combat.

Alphons

Cipher
2020 is the worst year ever. First we lose Neal Peart, Christopher Tolkien, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones and Kirk Douglas.
And now Lilura.

You forgot Qassem Suleimani. Other than that I agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom