Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Gandalf

Arbiter
I know a couple of girls that play mostly modern mainstream RPGs and RPG-likes. I know also a couple of my female family members that played modern mainstream ones in the past like Gothic, Diablo etc. and exotic ones like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy in the past.
The conclusion of this narrow research would be that girls have some interest in RPG genres, but it most likely started to became a thing in the middle of 90's. How does it relate to the whole population of womans is uknknown to me.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Isometric RPGs have many similarities with the Sims games.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Gothic was big here, even HUGE. FF wasn't until 7 came out.
FF7 came out before 2000, Gothic came out after 2000.
Yeah, but console gaming was smaller than PC here, so it was more exotic.
Also the case here, but circa 2004 or so not everyone who had a PC played or even knew of Gothic. Seemingly every single PlayStation owner knew of and played Final Fantasy. All the weebs had figurines and posters, too. And I am speculating, but 99% sure that Final Fantasy, despite the lower system owners number, sold MANY times more copies than Gothic. PC gamers here pirate, PlayStation owners buy.
Anyways, girls are more likely to be weebs than into D&D, and therefore more likely to be into FF than Gothic, simple as.

Yosharian

Arcane
Lilura lives and wrote a long piece griping about the state of cRPG commentary https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/03/cRPG-Commentary.html

Shots fired at MrEdders123:

Indeed, commentator literacy levels are laughably low. Thus the tendency of these twaddlers to take refuge in the more forgiving and informal video format in which marathon-length blabberings are not only par for the course, but celebrated by viewers with room-temperature IQs and free time in alarming abundance.

But if one were to skim over transcripts of such videos they would discover that, more often than not, almost nothing of value was said over the course of three hours. And what was said could be put into a bullet-list and skimmed over in a few seconds flat.

Mainstream RPG Game video-viewers are more impressed by rambling multi-hour videos than they are by concise writings that give them more information instantly. Possible illiteracy aside, that is because video-viewers are more interested in killing time than they are about being efficiently informed. Imagine having three hours of your life to waste on listening to what often amounts to naught but dribble.
We're reaching lack of self-awareness levels that shouldn't even be possible

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Lilura lives and wrote a long piece griping about the state of cRPG commentary https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2022/03/cRPG-Commentary.html

Indeed, commentator literacy levels are laughably low. Thus the tendency of these twaddlers to take refuge in the more forgiving and informal video format in which marathon-length blabberings are not only par for the course, but celebrated by viewers with room-temperature IQs and free time in alarming abundance.

But if one were to skim over transcripts of such videos they would discover that, more often than not, almost nothing of value was said over the course of three hours. And what was said could be put into a bullet-list and skimmed over in a few seconds flat.

Mainstream RPG Game video-viewers are more impressed by rambling multi-hour videos than they are by concise writings that give them more information instantly. Possible illiteracy aside, that is because video-viewers are more interested in killing time than they are about being efficiently informed. Imagine having three hours of your life to waste on listening to what often amounts to naught but dribble.
We're reaching lack of self-awareness levels that shouldn't even be possible
He's right though

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
whydoibother point out where Lilura is wrong kid
A 3 hour good review is more liked than a 3 hour bad review. Therefore the length isn't the goal, the quality is. ez pz.
Additionally, spending 3 hours with an audio-visual presentation of the game is objectively more informative than reading 100 pages of text with a few static images. Video games look and feel differently in motion, and many issues a game has or praises it might deserve are best demonstrated in video.
Furthermore, the point of a video review isn't just to deliver information as time efficiently as possible. It also has its own artistic goals, and attempts to look and sound good, and be funny, etc, in addition to being informative. Something that Lilura wouldn't know anything about, of course.
In conclusion, suck my dick, choke on it.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Gothic was big here, even HUGE. FF wasn't until 7 came out.
FF7 came out before 2000, Gothic came out after 2000.
Yeah, but console gaming was smaller than PC here, so it was more exotic.
Also the case here, but circa 2004 or so not everyone who had a PC played or even knew of Gothic. Seemingly every single PlayStation owner knew of and played Final Fantasy. All the weebs had figurines and posters, too. And I am speculating, but 99% sure that Final Fantasy, despite the lower system owners number, sold MANY times more copies than Gothic. PC gamers here pirate, PlayStation owners buy.
Anyways, girls are more likely to be weebs than into D&D, and therefore more likely to be into FF than Gothic, simple as.
Oh man, I think you made a good point thast FF7 is perhaps more known game than Gothic and sold better. As far as I know PS1 games were pirated too. I knew a guy that had most of his ps1 games pirated and his machine was changed to read those, as far as I remember.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron November 13, 2023
Hello Lilura. Were you thinking of a certain YouTube channel whose owner has three consecutive numbers in his name when you wrote this?

Lilura1 November 13, 2023
Hi, Infinitron. These are general observations on video-based cRPG commentary (retrospectives, guides etc.)

agris

Arcane
Patron
GSsQ3nR.png

I'm not sure why she calls Civ 2 and xcom crpgs though. They're clearly not.
i really hope she's using "RPG game" ironically

edit: forgive me father, for i had lost faith. now i have seen the light

1699883847852.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom