Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Berengar

Learned
BG3 and Jagged Alliance 3 this year. The year of Lilura?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the reason Lilura even considers the RTwP IE games good? Shouldn't they be shit in her book due to being RTwP?
He's a pleb who can't into Gold Box games because of the graphics.
TBH, so am I. If I'm going to play on 320x240 8bit graphics, I'd rather play it on the table with the minis I've painted myself. Better graphics. And no 3D-4D on a screen can fool the brain to feel the same as when waching a real tangible figurine.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What's the reason Lilura even considers the RTwP IE games good? Shouldn't they be shit in her book due to being RTwP?
TBH, so am I. If I'm going to play on 320x240 8bit graphics, I'd rather play it on the table with the minis I've painted myself. Better graphics. And no 3D-4D on a screen can fool the brain to feel the same as when waching a real tangible figurine.

Old school graphics are meant to let your imagination fill in the blanks. I once said that the entire graphics fidelity that we have now has rotted our ability to imagine things.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Old school graphics are meant to let your imagination fill in the blanks. I once said that the entire graphics fidelity that we have now has rotted our ability to imagine things.

Modern gamers need an IQ and imagination for that though. Given the choice between IE graphics and imagining between the faceless sprites and the portrait is the cleavage between ideas. And better in comparison to this BG3 uncanny valley stuff.

The only 'defence' I think BG3 has got in the face department is that they did it on purpose because they see everyone as they.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Gold Box is trash because of the design and rtwp is more faitfhul to the phase-based nature of AD&D than turn-based.

You've never played AD&D though... It never was RTWP, but it was always turn based. Everyone acted in a certain order which is not phase based as all actions occurred at the exact same time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You've never played AD&D though...
I have.

It never was RTWP, but it was always turn based. Everyone acted in a certain order which is not phase based as all actions occurred at the exact same time.
Well you can't do real time with pause in person. It's not turn-based the way the gold box games are, it's we-go instead of i-go-u-go.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You've never played AD&D though...
I have.

It never was RTWP, but it was always turn based. Everyone acted in a certain order which is not phase based as all actions occurred at the exact same time.
Well you can't do real time with pause in person. It's not turn-based the way the gold box games are, it's we-go instead of i-go-u-go.

No, you haven't and your explanation goes against the rules. Shall I award a participation trophy?

The Gold Box games adhere to the rules of AD&D 1E. It a turn based game with I Go; You Go system just like the books. Ya know how I know? Because I'm reading the rules for AD&D 1E. It is as I said it was.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, you haven't and your explanation goes against the rules. Shall I award a participation trophy?

The Gold Box games adhere to the rules of AD&D 1E. It a turn based game with I Go; You Go system just like the books. Ya know how I know? Because I'm reading the rules for AD&D 1E. It is as I said it was.
No, I will rely on the Gygaxian expert for this.

When I played AD&D, we rolled for individual initiative before combat, players and non-player characters acting on their respective turns. A player declared his intentions and rolled accordingly. In the case of a wizard using magic, we adhered to the rules governing casting times.
The way you played has nothing to do with AD&D's rules.

I know there are pen and paper groups who practiced the method having all players declare their actions up front, and then the DM announced what happened.
That's not a house rule, it's the way AD&D is supposed to be played. The whole game is designed and balanced around its phase-based system.

It is the simultaneous resolution, however, of real time with pause that utterly goes against the spirit of the game.
It's not simultaneous if you use segments and rounds (like AD&D's rules). RtwP goes against some of the game's design and spirit, but it's still more faithful than TB.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

No, I will rely on the Gygaxian expert for this.

When I played AD&D, we rolled for individual initiative before combat, players and non-player characters acting on their respective turns. A player declared his intentions and rolled accordingly. In the case of a wizard using magic, we adhered to the rules governing casting times.
The way you played has nothing to do with AD&D's rules.

I know there are pen and paper groups who practiced the method having all players declare their actions up front, and then the DM announced what happened.
That's not a house rule, it's the way AD&D is supposed to be played. The whole game is designed and balanced around its phase-based system.

It is the simultaneous resolution, however, of real time with pause that utterly goes against the spirit of the game.
It's not simultaneous if you use segments and rounds (like AD&D's rules). RtwP goes against some of the game's design and spirit, but it's still more faithful than TB.

I'm also an expert and he's wrong. All of the actions happen at the same time, but resolved in order. There is mention of segments and has no bearing on the actual resolution of the turn. It is a time keeping measure and nothing more. It's the same as if you were using weapon speed or casting times. The following is from AD&D 1E DMG.

Dungeon Masters Guide (Premium Edition)_3.png

Dungeon Masters Guide (Premium Edition)_1.png

Dungeon Masters Guide (Premium Edition)_2.png

It is as I said it is. The Gold Box games adhere to the AD&D 1E ruleset. Your "expert" is wrong since the rules say that he's wrong. Shall you try again?

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Gold Box is trash because of the design and rtwp is more faitfhul to the phase-based nature of AD&D than turn-based.
Real time is closer to phase-based than turn-based is. Very interesting take.

Except that Roguey forgets that in AD&D 1E that you're moving, swinging your weapon, and doing feints etc... all during that round. When you actually roll to hit is merely during that activity of that turn and everything is considered to be simultaneous.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It is as I said it is. The Gold Box games adhere to the AD&D 1E ruleset. Your "expert" is wrong since the rules say that he's wrong. Shall you try again?
You're not being thorough in your reading https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2015118#p2015118

Everyone agreed that actions are declared first, then you roll for initiative.

I stand corrected, but that still doesn't make it real time with pause. It's still a turn based game. You still get a participation trophy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I stand corrected, but that still doesn't make it real time with pause. It's still a turn based game. You still get a participation trophy.
It's a phase-based game. The simultaneous actions of real time with pause makes it play more like phase-based than i-go-u-go turn-based though I never said the two were the same.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It's a phase-based game. The simultaneous actions of real time with pause makes it play more like phase-based than i-go-u-go turn based though I never said the two were the same.

It is not. It's a turn based game. I posted the rules and they quite clearly say the following:

One-minute rounds are devised to offer the maximum of choice with a minimum of complication. This allows the DM and the players the best of both worlds. The system assumes much activity during the course of each round. Envision, if you will, a fencing, boxing, or karate match. During the course of one minute of such competition there are numerous attacks which are unsuccessful, feints, maneuvering, and so forth. During a one-minute melee round many attacks are made, but some are mere feints, while some are blocked or parried. One, or possibly several, have the chance to actually score damage. For such chances, the dice are rolled, and if the “to hit” number is equalled or exceeded, the attack was successful, but otherwise it too was avoided, blocked, parried, or whatever. Damage scored to characters or certain monsters is actually not substantially physical — a mere nick or scratch until the last handful of hit points are considered — it is a matter of wearing away the endurance, the luck, the magical protections. With respect to most monsters such damage is, in fact, more physically substantial, although as with adjustments in armor class rating for speed and agility, there are also similar additions in hit points. So while a round of combat is not a continuous series of attacks, it is neither just a single blow and counter-blow affair. The opponents spar and move, seeking the opportunity to engage when an opening in the enemy’s guard presents itself.

It's not phase based at all. It's a continuous run of actions with the actions performed done at a specific moment in that 1 minute of time. Whether it's an opening for a strike or that the spell is ready to be cast it's just at that point when it's released. That alone tells you it's not real time with pause. All of the action is at the same time.

Put up from the actual rules the word phase in regards to performing actions. You won't find it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not phase based at all. It's a continuous run of actions with the actions performed done at a specific moment in that 1 minute of time. Whether it's an opening for a strike or that the spell is ready to be cast it's just at that point when it's released. That alone tells you it's not real time with pause. All of the action is at the same time.

Put up from the actual rules the word phase in regards to performing actions. You won't find it.
Seems to be a misunderstanding here about the meaning of phase-based https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-based-and-phase-based-combat.5152/post-70147

Declaration phase plus execution phase = phase-based.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Seems to be a misunderstanding here about the meaning of phase-based https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-based-and-phase-based-combat.5152/post-70147

Declaration phase plus execution phase = phase-based.

Seems to me that you misunderstand that there are no phases in AD&D. Shall you try again?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Roguey I don't give a shit if you quote the King of Britain. If it's not in the goddamn rules then it's not there no matter what you want to believe. I go by the rules not what someone pulls out of their fucking ass and wipes with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom