Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader

Exmit

Scholar
Who played this Baldur's Gate on SPECIAL ?

I remember trying it years ago but don't remember why I couldn't get into it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exmit said:
I remember trying it years ago but don't remember why I couldn't get into it.

Yes. What reason could it possibly be...? Not the AWESOME COMBAT SYSTEM, surely.

Played it, but never finished. My patience for the godawful combat had run out rather quickly and the game went back on the shelf, never to move from there again.

hakuroshi

Augur
Well, combat sucked and after Barcelona there was nothing but combat.
Pity. Barcelona looked promicing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I finally beat it after annual tries. :) My proudest achievement of beating one of the worst RPG ever. It's challenging to be sure. But managing to use speech check to beat the finale without crying was an achievement in itself. Fucking scorpions.

Murk

Arcane
Worth 5 bucks or whatever its running for on GOG for the first half of the game.

Archibald

Arcane
Never saw such shift in quality in any other game. While in Barcelona game was solid, even enjoyable but once you leave it... oblibion is masterpiece compared to what happened after Barcelona.

laclongquan

Arcane
It gives the impression of a game rushed out of workshop. Barcelona is the game as it should be. The rest of the areas are more like a bare bone, ribs without flesh.

Judge by Barcelona: action RPG and worth playing.

Judge by the game as a whole: rage-inducing unfinished lump of data.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Played it up until about 90% through the game then just quit out of horror. I still remember that the character stat screen looked horrible, like a bunch of boxes in a spreadsheet, and other unfinished business. It coulda been something.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Horrible level scaling. If you don't level up in the most efficient way possible, don't bother exporting your character and starting anew: a lowly skeleton will still kick your ass because the whole game will adapt.

That's why if you react to the requirements of Barcelona and do not develop your character into a combat machine, you're simply screwed.

Radisshu

Prophet
I didn't remove this game from an inventory, despite the Codex' warnings, and found something truly and remarkably mediocre. And that was the "good" part, apparently.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I traded in the game for Diablo II treasure pack after being subjected to the debacle that was after Barcelona. One of the better decisions I've made in my life.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Never played Lionheart, but this:
Archibald said:
While in Barcelona game was solid, even enjoyable but once you leave it... oblibion is masterpiece compared to what happened after Barcelona.
Makes me want to try it to see how bad it is.

Is it really that bad by Codex standards? More importantly: Is it worth not removing from inventory just for Barcelona?

Murk

Arcane
Barcelona is actually GOOD, its there-after that it turns into an endless hack/slash fest. With nice graphics and all, but still. Combat becomes 99.99% of everything and eventually fatigue hits. There's also little to look forward to since the quality of the game in general nosedives. Unfinished, really.

Honestly, 5.99 on GOG is totally worth the amount of hours (like ten at least?) of entertainment you'll get from Barcelona alone.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
RK47 said:
I finally beat it after annual tries. :) My proudest achievement of beating one of the worst RPG ever...

You obviously havn't played Arcania?

Edit: Sorry - missed the 'one of' bit :oops:

I`m not sure. With Arcania you know from very first minutes that this is going to be shit. But what happens with Lionheart? It looks interesting and promising, you lower your guard and start embracing the game and then, once you leave big city, you get raped in the anus. That pissed me off more than Arcania could ever hope to.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It was originally announced as a diablo-clone, actually. But in late development they somehow decided to switch full-rpg (probably spoiled by the SPECIAL) - sadly, only the Barcelona part was converted to new ideas.

coaster

Liturgist
Does the latter part of the game even work as a mediocre Diablo clone or is the level scaling so bad that it screws that up as well?

Xi

Arcane
Here's some video footage of the game in action. I bought it long ago, and never finished it myself. I think I stopped playing just after Barcelona like everyone else. It's been a long time though, so I can hardly even remember the game. Seriously, I probably spent 10 hours playing, and then never touched it again, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594Ajk9oIWg

Worth a look for a couple of bucks if you like action-rpg. You gotta power play though.

Here's some higher level play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQ6n8ClpTs

(SPOILER)
Here is the ending for all those that never beat it and are curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyzxl4pS ... re=related

(You can convince the final boss to surrender with a high speech skill. However, it will be useless most of the time.) :D

ironyuri

I played with a fighter/cleric (melee/healing spells) and found the game to be irrevocably unplayable beyond Toulouse.

I couldn't spam healing spells fast enough to survive most combats and I ran out of healing potions faster than vendors could restock them, so I was constantly teleporting back to Barcelona and elsewhere to look at all the shops for potions.

I had the same problem with Titan Quest: pure melee was unworkable. A defender-melee mix, with no magic focus, ran into really serious trouble in Babylon.

I do not understand why these games package themselves as sword and sorcery and then make swordplay completely unfavourable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom