Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Logic Artists successor studio Campfire Cabal shut down by THQ Nordic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Campfire Cabal; Jonas Wæver; THQ Nordic

The news has started to pick up that Campfire Cabal has been shut down. We'd like to take a moment to issue an official statement to clear up some of what's going on.

As most of you must already be aware, the Embracer Group has recently entered restructuring. As part of this restructuring process, THQ Nordic has been told to close Campfire Cabal. This decision was not related to the work we've been doing at the studio but was made from a purely financial standpoint. We want to make it clear that our management and the rest of the team have not given up on Campfire Cabal yet, and neither have our friends at THQ Nordic. We are still pursuing our options for finding a good resolution to this situation, and THQ Nordic has been very supportive throughout this difficult time.

You may see more of our team members begin to openly look for new work in the coming days. We have actively encouraged our team to start job-seeking now since the process of finding work can be slow, and we don't want anyone to have to consider the needs of our company over their own.

However, this does not mean that it's over for us as a studio. We're extremely proud of how our team has come together to keep the Campfire burning, and of the commitment and camaraderie everyone has demonstrated since the news broke. We'd like to thank everyone who has reached out with messages of support and everyone who has taken the time to talk to us about future possibilities for Campfire Cabal.

We've done a lot of great work over the past year, and it is our fervent hope that we will find a way to keep it going.

Thank you all for your support,

Jonas Wæver
Creative Director​

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They made the right call, after all, narrative-driven cRPGs don't sell, as Baldur's Gate 3 shows. Oh wait. :stupid:

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Going woke on a roman setting was the writing on the wall.

"get woke, go broke" is the universal truth.
They went woke way back, with female conquistadors and vikings. Both were good games tho (Viking was a great RPG).

Haven't played Rome yet.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Going woke on a roman setting was the writing on the wall.

"get woke, go broke" is the universal truth.
They went woke way back, with female conquistadors and vikings. Both were good games tho (Viking was a great RPG).

Haven't played Rome yet.
It was worse with Rome. They put black centurions in the game.

At some point 90% of my Centurions for recruitment were black so I just quit the game.

If they want to make "reparations", hire only black people into their studio, but don't ruin historical settings.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

At some point 90% of my Centurions for recruitment were black so I just quit the game.

If they want to make "reparations", hire only black people into their studio, but don't ruin historical settings.
They were possibly told to do this (ESG bucks? Who knows). ELEX 2, also published by THQ Nordic, suddenly had black people everywhere too. Mimimi went from
031975c83099286b46e50b7dfac67f3637fd8b884ca065315ba2ed04ddacc61b.jpg

and
EapjJW9XgAAxlrm

to
capsule_616x353.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Black as in actual subsaharan African?

I suppose they justified it with "B-but Scipio Africanus!1!" :lol:

They were possibly told to do this (ESG bucks? Who knows).
Nah, it's the mental virus.

It goes like this. Someone from a work team, usually the stupidest of the bunch, says with gleaming eyes "Guise we gotta put female conquistadors and Vikings in and subsaharan centurions, in order to make this world a better place!" And nobody in the office dares to object.

Paul_cz

Arcane
They made the right call, after all, narrative-driven cRPGs don't sell, as Baldur's Gate 3 shows. Oh wait.
BG3 blew up as much as it has because it has AAA production values, good word of mouth and flawlessly executed marketing. There is no other CRPG that blew up like this, for a reason. Of course, the ones without AAA production values do not actually need to sell ten million copies to be profitable, so it's fine. But I would not use BG3 as some kind of "see? CRPGs are HUGE!" gotcha.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Black as in actual subsaharan African?

I suppose they justified it with "B-but Scipio Africanus!1!" :lol:

They were possibly told to do this (ESG bucks? Who knows).
Nah, it's the mental virus.

It goes like this. Someone from a work team, usually the stupidest of the bunch, says with gleaming eyes "Guise we gotta put female conquistadors and Vikings in and subsaharan centurions, in order to make this world a better place!" And nobody in the office dares to object.
Yes, Sub-saharan.

My centurion screen looked more or less like this

l1refpk9usp81.jpg

I have a thick skin for wokeness tbh, but it's really off-puting when you pay full price for a game set in the roman empire where you're a roman noble and you have to lead an army of sub-saharans in Greece.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They made the right call, after all, narrative-driven cRPGs don't sell, as Baldur's Gate 3 shows. Oh wait.
BG3 blew up as much as it has because it has AAA production values, good word of mouth and flawlessly executed marketing.
By far the biggest factor is the name recognition.

Pillars 1, D:OS1 and 2 and both Pathfinders sold very well too but not as much as BG3 because they didn't have "Baldur's Gate" in their name. That's why people's interest was up therefore journalist interest was up therefore people's interest was up etc.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have a thick skin for wokeness tbh,
dude,you quit the game because you didn't like the complexion of your secondary characters, most of whom never appear during quests (unless you select them to your B team for subjugation missions).
but it's really off-puting when you pay full price for a game set in the roman empire where you're a roman noble and you have to lead an army of sub-saharans in Greece.
it's not as bad really. The only obvious sub-Saharan in the game is Bestia. The rest could easily pass as Berber or Libyan people. And they were living in the Roman Republic in 1st century BC.

I completed the game and non-white guys comprised maybe 20% of the centurion roster. Perhaps you simply got unlucky with the RNG.

Last edited:
Lol, these corporate releases are funny: "This decision was not related to the work we've been doing at the studio but was made from a purely financial standpoint."

It's not that they were bad, we only care about moneys.

Meh, the studio really declined with Expeditions: Rome. Conquistador was an original game with solid gameplay, and Viking is one of the best iso RPGs of the last 10-15 years. Based on this, I was really looking forward to Rome, but it was complete shit. Really contrived combat with various conditions and shit to jump through, boring/pointless strategic layer that's like a budget version of Total War games, constant mode switching and more contrived crap.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
dude,you quit the game because you didn't like the complexion of your secondary characters, most of whom never appear during missions.
but it's really off-puting when you pay full price for a game set in the roman empire where you're a roman noble and you have to lead an army of sub-saharans in Greece.
it's not as bad really. The only obvious sub-Saharan in the game is Bestia. The rest could easily pass as Berber or Libyan people. And they were living in the Roman Republic in 1st century BC.

I completed the game and non-white guys comprised maybe 20% of the centurion roster. Perhaps you simply got unlucky with the RNG.
Yes I quit the game because I don't want to have sub-saharan centurions in a Roman historical setting. That's hardly unreasonable.

What set Logic Artists games apart from most RPGs out there was the historical settings. Sure, they weren't very accurate, but atleast in Conquistador and Vikings you could overlook some of the innacuracies and keep some suspension of desbelief. Rome was just too in your face. It's hard to ignore when a centurion called Lucius Vorenus who looks like Samuel L Jackson shows up in your roster.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes I quit the game because I don't want to have sub-saharan centurions in a Roman historical setting. That's hardly unreasonable.

You know Berber and Libyan people also have quite dark skin, right? And they aren't subsaharan.

Anyway, if such a thing caused you to ragequit, you have a skin thin as a snowflake.

What set Logic Artists games apart from most RPGs out there was the historical settings. Sure, they weren't very accurate, but atleast in Conquistador and Vikings you could overlook some of the innacuracies

Ah, so a female conquistador was simply 'inaccuracy', but a tanned centurion is an outrageous falsification of history?

and keep some suspension of desbelief. Rome was just too in your face. It's hard to ignore when a centurion called Lucius Vorenus who looks like Samuel L Jackson shows up in your roster.

You need to le-learn history, man. There was more chance (above 0%) for a sub-Saharan centurion in the Roman army, than female conquistadors conquering Mesoamerica.

At least in Expeditions: Rome there were no recruitable female Centurions (even though you could become a female legate, which was indeed dumb).

Jrpgfan

Erudite

You know Berber and Libyan people also have quite dark skin, right? And they aren't subsaharan.

Anyway, if such a thing caused you to ragequit, you have a skin thin as a snowflake.
Does this look berber to you?

EBBMpjF.png

North african people at the time were not black and they sure as hell wouldn't become Centurions.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Does this look berber to you?

EBBMpjF.png

North african people at the time were not black and they sure as hell wouldn't become Centurions.
Don't like to repeat myself, but:

There was more chance (above 0%) for a sub-Saharan centurion in the Roman army, than female conquistadors conquering Mesoamerica.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Paul_cz

Arcane
Pillars 1, D:OS1 and 2 and both Pathfinders sold very well too but not as much as BG3 because they didn't have "Baldur's Gate" in their name. That's why people's interest was up therefore journalist interest was up therefore people's interest was up etc.
If BG3 looked like Pathfinder Kingmaker and was made by Owlcat, it would have 82,000 concurrent peak on steam, not 820,000.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

They were possibly told to do this (ESG bucks? Who knows). ELEX 2, also published by THQ Nordic, suddenly had black people everywhere too. Mimimi went from
031975c83099286b46e50b7dfac67f3637fd8b884ca065315ba2ed04ddacc61b.jpg

and
EapjJW9XgAAxlrm

to
capsule_616x353.jpg

historically innacurate woke stuff (such as black centurions everywhere or black cleopatra) isnt the same as having different races in ur game

shadow tactics is a commandos type game set in feudal japan, whats it supposed to have?

u always downplay woke into this wide and untrue definition (black people in game = woke) because you yourself are a retarded woke faggot

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
historically innacurate woke stuff (such as black centurions everywhere or black cleopatra) isnt the same as having different races in ur game

shadow tactics is a commandos type game set in feudal japan, whats it supposed to have?

u always claim this wide and untrue definition of woke (black people in game = woke) because you yourself are a retarded woke faggot
You have misunderstood me. They went from (masculine Japanese guys and feminine women) and (masculine mostly-white men and feminine women with a token black) to (cartoony prominent strong black woman leader with her stoic and strong female friends and goofy male underlings). Vibe shift.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom