Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Long Live the Codex

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
...and still some people don't understand what the Codex is all about but that doesn't matter anymore.
Go ahead and post stuff trying to explain this forum to them. They won't believe you nor accept our criticism because the attention and focus of some preciiouusss devs has been stolen and because we can't accept the fact that the game has been "dumbed down" (or streamlined). We ARE SATAN!
ChurchChatLady.jpg

Revasser

Scholar
Pr()ZaC said:
...and still some people don't understand what the Codex is all about but that doesn't matter anymore.
Go ahead and post stuff trying to explain this forum to them. They won't believe you nor accept our criticism because the attention and focus of some preciiouusss devs has been stolen and because we can't accept the fact that the game has been "dumbed down" (or streamlined). We ARE SATAN!
ChurchChatLady.jpg

Being Satan is cool. Now I just need a trident, then I'll poke people in the ass. I might use the trident in some way, also.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
callehe said:
The fact that MSFD locks forums on the TES boards because of their moronic content is in fact counter productive - the weak arguments are never met with stronger arguments, and are therefore allowed to fester, and the morons will return eventually.

Well, the TES forum is a company forum. They have to protect their image because they're selling a product. That means their customers can't get their feelings hurt. Let's face it, these days there are a lot of folk out there looking for any little thing that will hurt their feelings. If they didn't go out of their way to look for those things, they couldn't roll over on their backs and whine victim mentality spewings at the drop of a hat.

That's not exactly what we do here. If your feelings get hurt by something on this forum, I honestly don't care. There's no one to run to over it, so there's very little in the way of whining about something on here. Instead, the people who get offended by something can run off to their safety blanket forums and whine about this site there where they're protected.

callehe

Liturgist
Hah, SP, you are a mean bastard. But you're a mean bastard that's created a haven for democracy, and for that I'm extremely grateful.

The codex has proven once and for all that stupidity is bettermet witty cynism, or even pure maliscousness than with babysitting moderators.

Not only does TES have to have moderators to protect their image, they also need moderators and a kind comunity as a service to their customers. (which is somewhat the same thing, but not quite)
Yes TES does have hardcore fans aging back from the times of Daggerfall or even further back. These people have contributed greatly to the TES-series. But they're definately not the only ones that have contributed to the TES-series. The Developers need "bread" on the table as much as anyone and we can't deny that among the people who legally bought the game there are a lot of newbies. So when they come to the TES-forums asking for help they should be helped out. Not being told to sod off, because they can't find this or that. You could say they're selling out to the newbies and discarding their loyal fanbase. Well their new fanbase might just be as loyal as the old. Oldies are in my experience just as fickle as newbies, though this should maybe be a part of another discussion altogether.
RPG-codex is more about in-dept discussion about what RPG's are really about. (ESF is more of an information forum)
No moral obligation to please anyone playing a certain game over here. It's about finding out what makes a good RPG. (The main reason, some people from Bethesda visits the site)
*Note: the reasons for participants visiting this forum varies from their individual agenda's. But the initial reason is the same with few exceptions.

Furthermore I wouldn't describe this forum as being a democracy (putting aside the argument on whether there really has ever been such a thing as a demogracy), I would rather describe it as a mild form of a well working anarchy. Survival of the fittest.

callehe

Liturgist
M'Aiq, I'm not saying that TES moderators are doing anything that's wrong; they may do whatever they please, It's their place and I respect that. The problem is only that moronic behaviour is not eradicated through forced dicipline from moderators, a well thought out bash from your peers is much more demotivating to most ppl, morons or not. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not refering to newbies only when i say morons, this term is applicable to anyone with a uninformed opinion that spews it around; I don't mind people asking questions; but if you state your opinion, of course ppl should be allowed to voice their opposition or concurrence without being told off by some overly sensitive moderator.

Furthermore I wouldn't describe this forum as being a democracy (putting aside the argument on whether there really has ever been such a thing as a demogracy), I would rather describe it as a mild form of a well working anarchy. Survival of the fittest.

ah well, many ppl would agree that a foundation for democracy is freedom of speech/freedom of writing or whatever it's called. Here at the codex you are allowed to write just about everything within very wide boundaries, heck you can even link to tubgirl, ffs. And as for survival of the fittest, well you don't actually die when you are flamed on the internet are you? you are allowed to defend yourself to any extent you wish. It's the moronic opinions that really dies here at the codex - they are killed off by superior arguments (contra being cencored by gestapo-moderators).

And if you can't take it, well then you're weak; and when has politics (in the context of democracy) been a matter for weaklings?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Our beloved Kotex is the best analytical RPG site in the net, period. Because of the forum, mainly.

The phenomenon of the COdex is astonishing, really. I respect the forum admins for their policy, for their attitude towards the trolls and retards that plague all the sites these days. The retardo land is an excellent concept and works well, too bad most of other sites are reluctant to follow this model. I observed several flame-attacks on one of the standart rpg-forums, and I can tell you that flamers *love* strict-policied forums, they love the thrill of it, of fooling the admins, of showing off their teen-agnsty-ego. Here, they certainly will encounter something utterly different...

Also, the abscense of censorship is a huge plus, it prevents a lot of useless rebellious dispositions among the forumers, as seen on many heavily-controlled forums. Here, there are no velvet revolutions, useless admin vs rebel wars, "banmintons", that although may be fun for a short while, but get old quick and often lead to the decadence of the forum.

The abscense of ban -- great. I mean, really, most of the heavily-controlled forums have one *huge* disease that's eatin' them: the moder/admin's inferiority complex. For instance, there is one kid who's a real loser in life, but voila - he gets the admin or moderator powers. Of course, it is a certain achievement and a respected position, but that guy soon gets blinded with this false POWAH and starts to compensate his lack of power in real life with this illusionary might. This manifests in the ban-obsession. He doesn't like someone who makes witty repartees? "Ban for you, smartass! For a week! No, for a month! What, you dare argue that?! IP-ban, account removal!" Damn I witnessed that a one too many times now and I'm pretty sick of that.
Here, I see the equality among the forum members, be it admin or a newly-registered user -- everyone has a right to be senilible, witty or braindead, and noone really gives a shit.

kris

Arcane
Revasser said:
Being Satan is cool. Now I just need a trident, then I'll poke people in the ass. I might use the trident in some way, also.

Sorry, tridents didn't make it into the game. Who use tridents anyway? Just satan and how many satan is it out there? I thought so, use a sword instead like normal people, swords rocks.

callehe

Liturgist
Here, I see the equality among the forum members, be it admin or a newly-registered user -- everyone has a right to be senilible, witty or braindead, and noone really gives a shit.

yep well said, that sums up the codex pretty well. :)

callehe said:
M'Aiq, I'm not saying that TES moderators are doing anything that's wrong; they may do whatever they please, It's their place and I respect that.
Well I don’t mean to totally disagree with you on the reasons why ESF moderator policy is different. I just wanted to add some other reasons as of why ESF is moderated differently and why it should be moderated differently. :wink:

The problem is only that moronic behaviour is not eradicated through forced dicipline from moderators, a well thought out bash from your peers is much more demotivating to most ppl, morons or not. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not refering to newbies only when i say morons, this term is applicable to anyone with a uninformed opinion that spews it around; I don't mind people asking questions; but if you state your opinion, of course ppl should be allowed to voice their opposition or concurrence without being told off by some overly sensitive moderator.
Well you can't have these "morons" eradicated on the ESF forums. (Morons is, imho, too strong a word for them. I would personally say less eloquent/thoughtfull posters. I say this just in case I get quoted on ESF.)For one, Less thoughtfull posters need a place to go in the first place. This way they can be shaped into better forum participants. Ok it might take a little while longer if you're overly friendly, but if you just scare them away they are never going to learn. Second, the less thoughtfull posters have a right to visit these forums. They paid for this game, so they have a right to post AND enjoy posting on ESF.
Ok the risk of this is that the influx of less thougtfull posters might be to great to handle.We could end up with too great a majority of less Thougtfull posters So yeah I'm not completely sure it will work. ESF might end up with a forum where the blind are leading the blind. But you can't be ambitious without taking risks.
Yes I know there might be truly moronic posters who can't be saved, but it shouldn't go at the expense of less thoughtfull posters who could be saved.

Edit:
I want to put a nice quote from Red Alert 1 over here.
It's what the head-professor said after they eradicated Hitler from history:
"Sooner or later time will tell... Sooner or later time will tell..."
It's about the concept that you can't really tell whether or not something is a good idea.
You can never see the future.
ah well, many ppl would agree that a foundation for democracy is freedom of speech/freedom of writing or whatever it's called. Here at the codex you are allowed to write just about everything within very wide boundaries, heck you can even link to tubgirl, ffs. And as for survival of the fittest, well you don't actually die when you are flamed on the internet are you? you are allowed to defend yourself to any extent you wish. It's the moronic opinions that really dies here at the codex - they are killed off by superior arguments (contra being cencored by gestapo-moderators).

And if you can't take it, well then you're weak; and when has politics (in the context of democracy) been a matter for weaklings?
I don’t want to say that a democracy isn’t a good description of the RPG-codex, I just think saying that anarchy would be a better description. Well maybe anarchy isn’t a good description either. Enlightened despotism might be more suitable on second thought.
Anyhow it might be true RPG-codex has many of the traits of a democracy: free speech, etc. However free speech doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a democracy. It’s the fundamentals that determine whether it’s a democracy or not. Democracy is power of the majority. Representatives are elected into power. Or referenda are distributed to decide on important issues. I haven’t been that long on the codex, but from what I see nothing like that is going on around here. There are “moderators” on the codex with more power then other forum participants (they can send threads off to retardo land), so it’s not an anarchy. The mods aren’t elected either nor is the “sending off to retardo land” decided in a poll/referenda, so it’s not a (representative) democracy.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Well, if a moderator keeps posting news that noone wants to read and enough people bitch about it, the moderator may be booted off the staff, something like that happened recently.

Anyway, think of the Codex as a Democracy, only without all the paperwork and red tape bullshit :)

Spazmo

Erudite
Democracy? What the hell are you talking about? Saint is the undisputed dictator of the place and if you proles have any complaints, you don't get to vote in somebody else. You just get to post a topic about it in here for us to ignore.

Rat Keeng said:
Well, if a moderator keeps posting news that noone wants to read and enough people bitch about it, the moderator may be booted off the staff, something like that happened recently.

Anyway, think of the Codex as a Democracy, only without all the paperwork and red tape bullshit :)
Well that's just an example of an "enlightened despot" being overthrown.

Well not really. It was a sub-despot.

Like a despot Earl/Duke/Lord or whatever being removed by the Emperor/King.

HardCode

Erudite
I'm too lazy to find the original quote in this thread, but here is prime evidence towards it:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 949&st=180

Talaran (a Moderator) said:
There may be other forums "out there" to discuss how much the traditional crpg has deteriorated since the invention of consoles. Or how much the player of crpgs has deteriorated. That place is, however, not here.

The Stalinist moderation won't allow discussion of the shitty fag-assed compass, which that thread was ORIGINALLY ABOUT!

Talaran (a Moderator) said:
Taking a topic that has already been discussed to death off topic? Maybe?

Meanwhile, there is an offically sanctioned, "Will My Computer Run Oblivion #33". Really, the 33rd thread of idiocy. That is okay, but not ripping apart the GPS system.

callehe

Liturgist
M'Aiq; The codex is about as democratic an internet FORUM can be, it's not a fucking parliament... :). But I guess you're right - the codex is a tool for democracy rather than being one...

also, if you're curious whether the mods are doing a good job in depositing topics into retardoland, well, just take a quick look there, and you'll surely be convinced...

Democracy? What the hell are you talking about? Saint is the undisputed dictator of the place and if you proles have any complaints, you don't get to vote in somebody else. You just get to post a topic about it in here for us to ignore.

ah, well, at least we can bitch and moan about it, unlike other forums :)

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Oh, and this is more like the Al-Jazeira of RPG sites than the Al-Qaida. It's not like this site actually does anything but report anything in a way they see as the truth - just like said news channel - or say like Fox news... :lol:

You are right fellow RPG-deen! For the glory of Tim Cain, blessed be his name, we must rise up against the oppression of the heathen devils and start acting now! I am officially forming the Al-Falloutja Suicide Brigade! Anyone want to join me and die for RPG Codex?

PS - Where is Roqua when you need him to give a "proper" introduction to a n00b?

Twinfalls

Erudite
voodoo1man said:
I am officially forming the Al-Falloutja Suicide Brigade!

:lol: HAHAHA!

Here's some classic Roqua:

Roqua said:
Its just stupid people making stupid games for stupid people. I think I'm going to join the terrorists and try and help destroy the west. No sense having computers and freedom and civilization if no real crpgs are going to be made any more. All you bitches are going to burn in heretical hellfire where allah will rape your whore slut mothers and I'll be fucking 72 virgins in their tight virgin asses. Maybe a little boy or 12 also. I don't care. Allah loves me and he is akbar. I piss on you heathens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom