Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a futuresque RPG

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Grimwulf

I heard good things about "Space Rangers 2" (Космические рейнджеры 2: Доминаторы).
It's even has a favorable Codex review:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=126

Does it break the parade of RPG mediocrity?

Also "Precursors" (Предтечи), granted its by a Ukrainian rather then Russian team.
Heard their two previous attempts were "interesting failures" but the third is actually "quite good for what it is"...

Plus what games from the former USSR countries would you say are actually decent?

Can't really name Space Rangers an RPG. It was always more a strategy for me, with elements of text quests and yeah, a bit of RPG resemblance. It's good. Hell, I never said that russian games suck (most of them do, tho). Russian rpgs - that what sucks bad and deserves all kinds of decline.
Uhm, Space Rangers IS an RPG. Its not a strategy at all, but I has an RTS mini game. You fly around in your ship, upgrade it, upgrade your skills, hire people, do quests, etc. Just because there is trading, a dynamic and lively universe, text quests, rts games, aracade games, doesn't make the game not an RPG.

And yes Ukranian games are great. Men of War series anyone?

Metro games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R of course. Why do Ukrainians made awesome games, while Russian suck so badly in general?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Grimwulf

I heard good things about "Space Rangers 2" (Космические рейнджеры 2: Доминаторы).

Also "Precursors" (Предтечи), granted its by a Ukrainian rather then Russian team.
Heard their two previous attempts were "interesting failures" but the third is actually "quite good for what it is"...

Plus what games from the former USSR countries would you say are actually decent?

Can't really name Space Rangers an RPG. It was always more a strategy for me, with elements of text quests and yeah, a bit of RPG resemblance. It's good. Hell, I never said that russian games suck (most of them do, tho). Russian rpgs - that what sucks bad and deserves all kinds of decline.
Uhm, Space Rangers IS an RPG. Its not a strategy at all, but I has an RTS mini game. You fly around in your ship, upgrade it, upgrade your skills, hire people, do quests, etc. Just because there is trading, a dynamic and lively universe, text quests, rts games, aracade games, doesn't make the game not an RPG.

Metro games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R of course. Why do Ukrainians made awesome games, while Russian suck so badly in general?
Well-received by corrupt hipster magazines & loved by masses != good games.
Both STALKER and Metro series are mediocre at best.

If you want to try some really good Ukrainian stuff, try Chasm: The Rift, Carnivores and Vivisector. Scivelation could also become a good game, if it wasn't screwed up by the money-milking studio.

I can look for some Russian stuff, there was a good game or two among these games (Rage of Mages is the only one I can remember).

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Grimwulf

Well-received by corrupt hipster magazines & loved by masses != good games.
Both STALKER and Metro series are mediocre at best.

If you want to try some really good Ukrainian stuff, try Chasm: The Rift, Carnivores and Vivisector. Scivelation could also become a good game, if it wasn't screwed up by the money-milking studio.

I can look for some Russian stuff, there was a good game or two among these games (Rage of Mages is the only one I can remember).

I had a lot of fun playing Metro. last Light was better of the two. S.T.A.L.K.E.R with mods is really good. Without mods don't even bother.

I don't read corrupt hipster magazines and I loathe masses.

I had a copy of Chasm: The Rift and it was great. Vivisector I have't played but heard many good things about it.

Rage of Mages was one of the first LP I've read on the Codex. The very first was Dark Omen by Jasede.:salute:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Uhm, Space Rangers IS an RPG.

Look, it's not.
Rus wiki:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Космические_рейнджеры_2:_Доминаторы
Rus official forum:
http://srclan.org/forum/

And pretty much all resources, including release interview with devs, all state that:
(translation is mine)

A game, that combines RPG, TBS, RTS, action, arcade, text quest. I find the gameplay to consist 70% of strategy. To be more exact, economic sim. Either you trade goods, or you kill stuff and trade loot. Then you invest, invest, invest.

What do we have from RPG? Several attributes and "hp" bar? Kinda not enough for my taste.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You're flying around with your avatar, getting new equipment and gear, increasing attributes and doing hack and slash in space. Its not an economic sim, you cant own ships or factoires or build or have automation. Its no strategy because you're really just controlling one ship. You can play the game without doing any trading, which in fact can get tedious if that's the only thing you do because of said lack of empire building.

Sorry bro, its an RPG. With tons of cool elements of course, but I don't see how the game is 70% rts or an economic sim.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You're flying around with your avatar, getting new equipment and gear, increasing attributes and doing hack and slash in space. Its not an economic sim, you cant own ships or factoires or build or have automation. Its no strategy because you're really just controlling one ship. You can play the game without doing any trading, which in fact can get tedious if that's the only thing you do because of said lack of empire building.

Sorry bro, its an RPG. With tons of cool elements of course, but I don't see how the game is 70% rts or an economic sim.

We musta played different difficulties. No yolo-space-hunting on big ones. You have to build, invest and organize attacks and defence between galaxies. And no, you DO NOT control JUST ONE ship. Your personal gear means nothing. Early game is trade. Stats are worthless.

Sorry. Not an rpg.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ive finished the game normal difficulty without doing any investing or organizing systems. Maybe you need to in harder difficulties, but calling this 70% strategy is a bit of an exaggeration.

Sorry bro, its an RPG. With some hands off strategic elements which can be completely ignored. They add to the depth of the game though.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ive finished the game normal difficulty without doing any investing or organizing systems. Maybe you need to in harder difficulties, but calling this 70% strategy is a bit of an exaggeration.

Sorry bro, its an RPG. With some hands off strategic elements which can be completely ignored. They add to the depth of the game though.

Then you know the game better than the devs. Good for you, bro.

You know what? I feel a strange urge to go play Twisted Metal on easiest difficulty. I can control that one car, and every car has different speed and armor, you kno? I can use different weapons. A good RPG.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Listen bro, stop exaggerating. StarCraft is a strategy game. Not this.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
As I said, it is game, that combines RPG, TBS, RTS, action, arcade, text quest. That is how the devs define it, that what it was intended to be.

For ME it felt like strategy, thanks to difficulty level. But MOST of the playing time I've spent on RTS missions and text quests. About 0.000004% of the gamplay consisted of raising my atts, that didn't make a bloody difference anyway. And during galaxy battles it's your freakin' army that makes a difference, not you. We are not talking about Mass Effect.

I don't know what games you played, to call SR an rpg with such a passion. But I defenetely don't wanna play them myself.

If Space Rangers is anything like X2: The Threat or Terminus or Privateer then I'll have to say it's a hybrid-RPG. Grimwulf, the standard definition of RPG is too restrictive, just as the standard definition for most other games. I'm playing Privateer right now, for example. Now, compared to deeper RPGs, it's lacking depth in terms of characters, quests (and by extension story). As for stats? Lol. I don't even consider them necessary. I think action adventure games are very much like RPGs - Anachronox for example. A better example is Hugo's House of Horror - I don't think it had any stats. However, privateer has stats in the form of ships you buy and upgrade, much like Terminus or X2: The Threat. You have to know somewhat how the mechanics work so you can setup your ship right, just like how you need to understand stats and skills - to be more effective - in more traditional RPGs. Generally speaking it's not difficult to get the right ship or upgrade it or keep it in working order. This is not a complex system like some RPGs have. It could be. For example, the ship systems in Terminus are more complicated than the ones in Privateer and X2.

I'll agree there're "economic" aspects in these games. Yet many RPGs are the same. Almost every RPG I've ever played required me to make money. And I often wasn't doing a quest with elaborate storyline and voiceovers to make money. Sometimes I was just out killing some littler buggers in the wild or looking for better loots. I prefer to do my own things anyway. If I have to do trade runs to make money then I will, but I'll be more happy if other things happen to keep it interesting. Repetition does get boring.

Yes, they're not full-blooded RPGs and tend to be more fps-like with simplistic quests and characters, but I don't let that stop me treating them like RPGs. In the case of X2: The Threat, you can mod it to be even more like traditional RPGs.

I'm playing Privateer right now and am experiencing some (censored). I wont expand on it, but needless to say, I hate being forced to follow a particular path in the story without having more choice. And choices are not required to be RPG. BUT deeper RPGs tend to have branching storylines to allow a player choice. Adventure games can also have branching storylines. Myst was one of hte first agmes I played and it had a couple different endings. Many games with stories are like that. And it doesn't need to be a game to have a branching storyline. I used to read those Choose Your Own Adventure books in school.

And I really like to blaze my own trail in these games. I don't like following a script. If I want a script, I can just read a book. I love to read books and have several of them ready for me when I am willing. Sounds/visuals don't matter.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If Space Rangers is anything like X2: The Threat or Terminus or Privateer then I'll have to say it's a hybrid-RPG.
Just barely like X2. X2 has you building a trading empire, buying factories, buying ships and giving them orders and getting your business going by managing supply chains etc. Space Rangers 2 has none of that.

There's also the French game Omikron: The Nomad Soul. At least the first part is definitely futuristic and somewhat cyberpunkish. Interesting setting and atmosphere, very French (although not all that original). It is also more of an action-adventure game than RPG, reminiscent of the Outcast which came out the same year (1999).

102999Omikron07.jpg

The_Nomad_Soul_-_016.jpg
Good one. I remeber playing a demo of this yeas ago. It's kind of old though, but so are many others here. I bought this on GoG (for $1-something) but haven't played it yet. David Bowie made most or all of hte music for it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I forgot to mention that there are a couple of RPG-s (or at least games with RPG bits) worth playing.

Cybermercs (I remember it felt like Fallout with RT combat).
458351-cybermercs-the-soldiers-of-the-22nd-century-windows-screenshot.jpg

Hired Guns (remember to try the Amiga version, also available in 'Amiga Dungeoneering Collection' here. DOS verson looks way worse and lacks the badass soundtrack. Fun fact: made by the same guys who developed GTA).
185928-hired-guns-amiga-screenshot-an-item-on-the-ground-can-be-picked.png

(I also recommend to try the beta of the unreleased sequel. It's more of a coop shooter than RPG, but it's still fun to play.)

And before I forget:
Cybermage: Darklight Awakening (plays like a Doom game with character development, has tons of features that were later ripped off by Half-Life).
115628-cybermage-darklight-awakening-dos-screenshot-not-so-warm-welcome.png

Heechee

Liturgist
There's also the French game Omikron: The Nomad Soul. At least the first part is definitely futuristic and somewhat cyberpunkish. Interesting setting and atmosphere, very French (although not all that original). It is also more of an action-adventure game than RPG, reminiscent of the Outcast which came out the same year (1999).
Good one. I remeber playing a demo of this yeas ago. It's kind of old though, but so are many others here. I bought this on GoG (for $1-something) but haven't played it yet. David Bowie made most or all of hte music for it.

Couple of Bowie's songs were in (there was a singer character modelled after him in the game), but most of the score was done by someone else. Do find a time to play it! It is not a particularly good game, but it does combine several play modes in an interesting way, the reincarnation mechanism was memorable as well as the art direction. It's rather short, anyway. Omikron was one of those games that, despite badly flawed, allowed one to be somewhat optimistic regarding the future of gaming (Omikron resembles Daggerfall in this regard, although it is completely different type of game). Yet the tsunami of decline was right behind the corner.

:negative:

Here's the intro tune by Bowie.

zwanzig_zwoelf

most of the score was done by someone else
Xavier Despas did additional music. Unfortunately, he didn't create anything else - I remember that at least some of his tracks were nice.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
As far as I remember Cybermercs is basically a Diablo Clone, not much Fallout-y about it. Loved the atmosphere though and I remember it having solid gameplay, gotta try to find that game again.

If Space Rangers is anything like X2: The Threat or Terminus or Privateer then I'll have to say it's a hybrid-RPG.
Just barely like X2. X2 has you building a trading empire, buying factories, buying ships and giving them orders and getting your business going by managing supply chains etc. Space Rangers 2 has none of that.
(removed) Sorry, I don't want to go off topic so much. Still, determining what RPG means is relevant to the topic since the OP is wanting future-ish cyberpunk RPG games. What's RPG? Can change the responses you'll get.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
(removed) Sorry, I don't want to go off topic so much. Still, determining what RPG means is relevant to the topic since the OP is wanting future-ish cyberpunk RPG games. What's RPG? Can change the responses you'll get.
:nocountryforshitposters:

zwanzig_zwoelf

There is a separate thread somewhere here if you fags are willing to discuss this further.

I can also suggest some obscure shit, like Tainted and Psionics. Doubt that'll do the trick, but it might be right up your alley.

Almost forgot to mention Chaos Overlords. More of a TB strategy than RPG (you manage the movement, actions and equipment of different 'gangs' (aka units). Also has stats, but iirc you can't modify them except by giving them proper equipment that suits their abilities in the best way). It's a pretty complex game by today's standards, and the amount of crap you can do there is enormous (hounding your enemy by the police? Check. Extorting money from the local civilians? Check. Bribing the cops and civilians to avoid enemy snitches? Check. Forcing local companies and corporations to cooperate with you by giving you money and doing other different shit for you, like keeping the civilian mouths shut and allowing you to research and produce stuff for a smaller price).
While the graphics and learning curve might disappoint you, the gameplay and music will keep you glued to your pc for the next 5-6 hours, until you wipe your enemies away or get fucked (the latter is way more probable, since the game is fucking HARD until you carefully read the manual and find out what's what).

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've looked over my game collection and, aside from Deus Ex, I don't have any futuristic/cyberpunk RPG's (Fallout dosen't count). What would be an ideal choice for someone who loves the atmosphere of Neo-Tokyo, Hives from 40K and generally sc-fi stuff? Turn based or not, it dosen't matter. I'm starving for some augmentations and future techno-babble.
Then you're mostly looking for hybrid titles, because when game designers think about 'Sci-Fi' the first thing that comes to mind is 'awsum technology' and the natural fun conclusion to that is war, which typically = strategy game +M

Try W40K: Dawn of War II (+Chaos Rising; short but good Xpack which built on the game's RPG features). If you like it, then the Starcraft II single player campaign isn't entirely a stretch. It has an okay RPG vibe to it and even some C&C towards the end of each story arc.

Alternatively, if a well-designed roguelike enters your definition of 'RPG', try Sword of the Stars: The Pit. Good indie Sci-Fi title, detailed tech/lore/setting (created by an Arcanum writer). Only if you can stomach very cartoony art style, though.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I've looked over my game collection and, aside from Deus Ex, I don't have any futuristic/cyberpunk RPG's (Fallout dosen't count). What would be an ideal choice for someone who loves the atmosphere of Neo-Tokyo, Hives from 40K and generally sc-fi stuff? Turn based or not, it dosen't matter. I'm starving for some augmentations and future techno-babble.
Then you're mostly looking for hybrid titles, because when game designers think about 'Sci-Fi' the first thing that comes to mind is 'awsum technology' and the natural fun conclusion to that is war, which typically = strategy game +M

Try W40K: Dawn of War II (+Chaos Rising; short but good Xpack which built on the game's RPG features). If you like it, then the Starcraft II single player campaign isn't entirely a stretch. It has an okay RPG vibe to it and even some C&C towards the end of each story arc.

Alternatively, if a well-designed roguelike enters your definition of 'RPG', try Sword of the Stars: The Pit. Good indie Sci-Fi title, detailed tech/lore/setting (created by an Arcanum writer). Only if you can stomach very cartoony art style, though.

I've played both DoW's. Cool games. The second one has better narration IMO, but the first had glorious voice acting. I'm a 40K nut in general. Maybe that's why I never could force myself to like SC. Will give it a try tough. Maybe I'd like it now, who knows.:incline:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bump.

Encountered three futuristic RPGs.

Droiyan 2: Absolute Monarch
droiyan2-5.png

Seems like a Korean Diablo clone, it's also a sequel to "Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods". Unavailable in English, but there is a Russian version lying on my hard drive, and translation is possible too (at least menus, cutscene subtitles and quest data).

Zenfar
4701_51a476dd3bad6.jpg

Didn't play it yet and apparently it's shit.

The Tainted
04.jpg

Looks like another Diablo clone but wtf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom