Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lord Azlan is angry about Alpha Protocol

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Is there any way I can get a refund? Is there a form I need to complete?

Alpha Protocol is 29th in the All Time list of good RPG - ahead of Daggerfall, Ultima IV, Arx Fatalis, Risen and even Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

So, half of you guys regularly criticise top RPG lists from others - most recently PC Gamer. Ha ha.

The other half have at least 100 hours played on Skyrim.

Okay - Sorry - let me calm down - breathe out. Phooooo.

I am currently half way through AP. It is clearly a fail. The action part of the game is broken. Sometimes the enemies just walk around you to 'investigate' a fallen comrade, some other guy just jumped in the air and could not fall - he ended up levitating. Oh - and fallen enemies just disappear like a puff of air - is that normal of top RPG games of this type - I need to play DE HR again.

I used the Sound Cone to divert some enemies and three soldiers ended up all squashing up against a barrier, for about half an hour - they are probably still there. I tried it again in Japan and the Cone seemed to have frozen the enemies to whatever spot they were. The levels are just a corridoor or two.

After a while I tried killing myself by jumping of ledges and mountains, that sort of thing. The game reminds me a lot of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTR - but clearly inferior to those turds.

I can't believe these guys, Obsidian, also made Fallout New Vegas or even Wasteland 2. (Okay - Wasteland 2 - yes - a bit - a little bit).

The little puzzle games are a bit tedious - what is more important to say here is that the little puzzle games are not the worst aspect of the game.

Apparently the conversation aspects of the game are great - I am not impressed. Apparently the choices you make does something. But to see if that really does something you have to play the game again.

I spent thousands in cash on better intelligence on certain people and factions that don't tell you Jack - nothing useful. Then I couldn't buy the enhanced armour.

I don't want an apology, I just want to know if there are any other jokers in the pack or is AP the only game that makes the list a fail.

Ladonna

Arcane
I haven't looked at the list, but Alpha Protocol (or should that be Alpha turd?) is truly a forgettable experience.

Ok, had a quick look at the list.

No idea what Dark Souls is.

Apart from that, there isn't anything horrid though I wouldn't bother playing half of the games on that list a second time, and it misses quite a few good games. Have fun!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No RPGs are good and there are undoubtedly a lot of bad games on that list.

AP was a poorly managed project made by people who didn't know what they wanted to do until it was much too late for course correction.

A horse of course

Alpha Protocol is trash and the fact people on the Codex will defend it is proof that Hitler was right (about Alpha Protocol).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Alpha Protocol has two gameplay modes - a decent C&C engine and a crappy popamole shooter. The problem is that these two modes rarely overlap to form coherent gameplay.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't want an apology, I just want to know if there are any other jokers in the pack or is AP the only game that makes the list a fail.
Someone has to say it, that list is bullshit, as all the lists made by IGN and the likes.
All depends on you, if you are already familiar with the classics and like them despite their flaws I suggest to dig old threads to discover other classics you didn't play, it goes for more recent games as well.
Else you can just list what you have already played and what your tastes are, do you like roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, story is the only thing that counts, twitch action is not a problem, etc?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
AP isn't RPG, thus I wonder why is OP screaming about RPGs?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So basically you want to know if the list is a fail. All lists based on user votes will be a so called 'fail' because that is the nature of such lists and voting system. The only criterium a game has to adhere to, is being a cRPG. Which is a different kind of discussion altogether. Hence, people that liked AP THIS MUCH will get a couple of votes in and there you go.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Alpha Protocol has two gameplay modes - a decent C&C engine and a crappy popamole shooter. The problem is that these two modes rarely overlap to form coherent gameplay.
So they aped Bioware again, only this time instead of improving the experience they failed worse than Bioware, a portent of things to come I must say.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Phew - calmed down quite a bit. No longer ANGRY.

For those who voted for AP or anyone that thinks its decent could you make the case for it - does it get better - what are the good bits coming down the line?

I found the Codex RPG list and treating it like a holy book. So far all the games I found here have been pretty good and well worth buying.

I spent a lot of time grouping all the Codex games in my Steam account and those not purchased onto a wishlist. Recently I made a choice between AP and Elminage Gothic - anyway...

Regards Wasteland 2, I saw an entry on wiki saying it was "Co-Developed and published by inXile Entertainment", my mistake.

Anyway - seriously - looking for advice - you guys know RPGs

Codex games I liked - played or played again with a new perspective:

Fallout 1 (1997)
Fallout: New Vegas
Arx Fatalis
Risen
Lords of Xulima
Legend of Grimrock 2
Wasteland 2
Might and Magic X
Wizardy 8

Tried these a bit - undecided

Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines (2004)
Dark Souls
Shadowrun - Dragonfall

Tried these - trash

The Witcher
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Alpha Protocol

Looking at these now - taken my eye. Considering the list above of what I liked and disliked - what do you guys think I should try next?

Elminage Gothic
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Fallout 2 (1998)
Deus Ex (2000)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Papersorcerer
Jagged Alliance 2
Darklands
Mount & Blade: Warband

Perkel

Arcane

this.

C&C is awesome fun but all of the rest of game is crap and there is lot of that other non fun stuff

da_rays

Augur
You havent played Planescape: Torment , Jagged Alliance 2 and Darklands?? Damn dude , I envy that you still have thoses cherries. Personally I'd go Planescape , Jagged then Darklands. Since you seem to like blobber ( MM:X , Wiz 8 and Xulima to somes extends) I'd also try to slide in a playthrough of Elminage Gothic , which i find a bit superior to Paper sorcerer. Not that Paper Sorcerer aint a good little crawler/blobber , Elminage offer a bit more to work with.

Seriously tho.....pop that Planescape cherry.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines (2004) Mandatory just for a Malkavian playthrough.
Elminage Gothic Dunno,
Planescape: Torment (1999) Play it NOW!!!
Fallout 2 (1998) Yes.
Deus Ex (2000) Yes.
Neverwinter Nights 2 Only To play the expansion Mask of the Betraye.r
Papersorcerer Yes.
Jagged Alliance 2 Yes.
Darklands Yes
Mount & Blade: Warband Not my cup of tea.

Seeing that you liked Grimrock maybe you want to try this, is old school and madly good, be advised that the developer is quite a character tho:
Thread link:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...by-is-back-grimoire-superdemo-released.87519/

Download link:
http://images.indiegogo.com/file_at...101230731-GrimoireSuperDemoV15.exe?1383372451

Edit:
Too much editing.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I found the Codex RPG list and treating it like a holy book.
Do you agree with every single retard person on the Codex? If yes, it's a great list. If no, well...

Tried these a bit - undecided

Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines (2004)
Dark Souls
Shadowrun - Dragonfall
Bloodlines - has issues but it's a great, one of a kind RPG. Not a top 10 game but definitely top 25-50. Dark Souls - :what is this I don't even:. Dragonfall - cute, but it's not a top anything rpg material.

Tried these - trash

The Witcher
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Alpha Protocol
Witcher - I suspect it's the best Witcher game, crafted with a lot of love and attention. Definitely a must play game but I wouldn't put it very high on a top 50 list. Witcher 2: revenge of the popamole, fantasy for us is an awesome dude rolling around and killing enemies, leveling up is optional. AP - better than most popamole shooters but I wouldn't call it an RPG.

Looking at these now - taken my eye. Considering the list above of what I liked and disliked - what do you guys think I should try next?

Elminage Gothic
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Fallout 2 (1998)
Deus Ex (2000)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Papersorcerer
Jagged Alliance 2
Darklands
Mount & Blade: Warband
If you like combat, play Jagged Alliance 2 - the BEST, BAR NONE turn-based combat.

If you liked Fallout a LOT, play Fallout 2 - whereas Fallout was great, Fallout 2 is good, mainly because it's a sequel to a great game but the setting is inconsistent as fuck, loaded with retarded shit to the brim (it all depends on whether or not you think that a setting is merely a suggestion).

If you like dialogues, play Planescape - great writing, characters, and storytelling.

Then play Darklands and Deus Ex. NWN2 is a horrible mess, lead designer jumping shit half way (or being thrown out).

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
You havent played Planescape: Torment , Jagged Alliance 2 and Darklands?? Damn dude , I envy that you still have thoses cherries. Personally I'd go Planescape , Jagged then Darklands. Since you seem to like blobber ( MM:X , Wiz 8 and Xulima to somes extends) I'd also try to slide in a playthrough of Elminage Gothic , which i find a bit superior to Paper sorcerer. Not that Paper Sorcerer aint a good little crawler/blobber , Elminage offer a bit more to work with.

Seriously tho.....pop that Planescape cherry.

I bought it when it first came out. Then tried to play it again a few years ago with a widescreen mod. Is there any way I can increase the size of the text?

Thanks for your response.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
One thing you need to keep in mind with most of the top72 is that the codex adores flawed gems. Most of the games in the list has one or more glaring shortcomings (or is just riddle with bugs). But they usually try to break the mold, which is why we're overlooking their blemishes. IF you go into most of these games (except maybe Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2) expecting perfection, you will be disappointed.

Case in point for planescape: Good writing and setting. Awful, awful combat.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Its a sequel/clone dominated industry, and AP is very unique game, so that's why people forgive a lot of flaws. The same goes for a lot of the list, combat for half of the games on it is barely passable, others have metric fuckton of bugs, need 1000 mods to be playable.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lord Azlan
Elminage Gothic is best Wizardresque game avaliable.
It may be enjoyabe or shit, depend on your preferable difficulty level (enjoy p.hard games?) and desu resistance (not that awful).
Deus Ex - might try when Revision will be released.
Neverwinter Nights 2 - jump straight into Mask of the Betrayer. To experience original campain - imagine most boring game you ever played, multply 3 times and you get the idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom