Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Lords of Xulima: New Screenshots + Greenlight Entry

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Lords of Xulima

Independent Spanish studio Numantian Games has released some new screenshots for its party- and turn-based RPG Lords of Xulima -- you know, the one that has isometric exploration and first-person combat, which caused some debate when we last posted about it.

According to the press release, "the development process of Lords of Xulima continues with the publication of 12 new screenshots. The production team has selected these images to show some of the rich diversity of places and creatures that can be found on the mythical continent of Xulima." Check out some of them:

The rest of the new screenshots can be found here.

You can also help Lords of Xulima by upvoting its Steam Greenlight entry.

Micmu

Magister
I like the art style. Village on 4th screenshot looks neat.
Also that treant looks cool with its rape face on.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks charming but the stretched portraits in combat looks fugly.

gromit

Arcane
It's the opposite of RoA, for instance.
I'd rather not get into the "this game this, that game that" from the other thread... it's backwards from a raw design standpoint. Why have isometric projection if you're not going to take advantage of positioning? Why have first-person if you aren't going to make use of perspective and scale?

Best I can figure, it's simply to stretch the art and design budgets out, which is understandable. But it's also assets dictating mechanics, which always makes me cranky.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Looks nice. They should fix the crappy stretching of the avatars in the "who's next" column.

Voted.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Isometric roaming shifts to first-person tactical combat? That seems a little backwards.
I was going to dispute this, then I considered that it's pretty much what Final Fantasy and Pokemon do (Final Fantasy may not shift to first person, but the combat system functions as though it did). Now I don't know what to think. I kind of enjoy decadently dabbling in Pokemon, but wouldn't call it a shining example of RPG design.

I guess you could say that the effect for the player in both cases is efficiency, however. You can get through combat more cleanly when you don't have to worry so much about positioning, and exploration is easier when points of interest in the general vicinity are layed out for immediate viewing. That may have influenced the design decision. This was probably already mentioned in the aforementioned prior debate.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
The art style reminds me of Windows 95 games with pre-rendered low-poly 3D. I never liked that era, but it's kinda cute.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems interesting, guess I'll give it a try, as soon as I can.

It would be awesome if the environment in combat was not pre-rendered, but "normal" 3D and react to spells and other conditions (like trees starting to burn when fire is involved or bend when wind is involved, etc.). That would make it more appealing to the inner graphics whore, but I guess it would not be in budget ;)

The stretched portraits are bullshit, of course, but the rest I'd have to see in action.

Psquit

Arcane
The game feels like a generic Medieval fantasy game

Trailer helps to get a better view of the game.

More old school rpgs dont hurt no one.

Looks interesting, but I don't think that I ever saw such derpy looking monsters. At least not since mid-nineties.
ks1grVDwxQilPdv4vyj4pccjk.png

A user named cat

"Alright guys, we need twelve screenshots to help promote our game. Make sure to include one that shows off our English text!"

ywqaGxP.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom