Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost Ark Online

Ba'al

Scholar
Spent 15 minutes mining a giant stone egg just to spawn a giant spider that took a dozen people beating it for 4 minutes just for it to drop only silver coins. These timed islands were designed by trolls.

The only good part about that stupid island is that because the players need to basically afk for 15min, they're pressured into talking to each other, something this game (as an mmo) kinda lacks.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Frankly, which MMO still has lots of group activity? Looking at some of the more popular MMOs, a lot of them have developed into single-player themeparks that only really require socializing and grouping up for highend PvE and PvP stuff. Things like jump-puzzles or coordinating a group of people for some special collectible are kind of a thing of the past.

abija

Prophet
Regardless of whatever else you might think of this game, it's so painfully obvious that all the "lol it's so easy"-guys have not played any of the relevant content
Is that supposed to appear at t2 or t3 ? So far the game offered way too little quality content for the amount of walking around spamming G required.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Is that supposed to appear at t2 or t3 ? So far the game offered way too little quality content for the amount of walking around spamming G required.
It's in T3. Keep in mind that the game released with 3 phases at once. That's like WoW releasing with Classic, TBC and WotLK at the same time. Any content you do in T1/T2 that is somwhat related to gear progression will become irrelevant for anything but your alts once you get into the next phase. Higher-end content doesn't start coming in until Phase 3, which is the one you will be spending months in, not days or weeks. Just as a comparison, upgrading a +14 piece to +15 in T1/2 has a 40% chance of success. In T3, you have a 45% chance of success for upgrading from +6 to +7. The meat of the game and "grindiness" doesn't start until you hit the endgame of the content that is currently available.

The T1 and some of the T2 Guardians are pretty simple and serve as introductory content. It won't start getting more difficult until you hit the end of P1 and move into P2, and even that is no comparison to hard-mode cube and some of the later guardians.

Szenhidrat

Novice
Am not really into action things but tried this out and uninstalled after level 30 because the story was terrible. BUT i watched most of the YT reviews because THOSE, especially the comments are awesome. This game is clearly p2w but obviously most people won't admit because it would look so bad to play one of "those" games so i noticed a ton of newly invented expressions they made up to just to justify themselves to shit on other p2w games, but keep on playin' this:

p2p - pay to progress
p2a - pay to access
p2f - pay to fasten (what does this even mean)
p2q - pay to quicken
p2s - pay to support

If they like it, more power to them but why is it so bad to admit playing a game with a cash shop? Anyway i picked up Kotor2 instead and it is awesome.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm level 45 and I still haven't encountered any pay to win elements.
Maybe they become more apparent once I enter the end game but by then my interest will be drawn towards other games.
It irks me so much that I can't see my local time. All it shows is central European time and I have to always add one hour to what I'm seeing to know the real time of the day.
It's a minor issue but this means they could easily fix it but they won't.

Cromwell

Arcane
I'm level 45 and I still haven't encountered any pay to win elements.

I think what they mean is buying mats to build gear and buy stuff that ups the chance of success when crafting better gear. But thats only relevant once you hit the endgame and progress through that content.

orcinator

Liturgist
Okay but can someone describe the actual gameplay in detail?
Is this like vindictus which was a semi-decent beaty-uppy under the korean p2w and grind or is this like the million other korean mmos that don't offer anything of value once you exit the character creator?

abija

Prophet
wow diablo monster hunter mashup (mostly camera from diablo, so basically other 2 with diablo camera)

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Technically almost every MMO on the market these days is pay2win, including WoW. There is, however, an argument to be made about the extent to which you can get an advantage, and how much that advantage actually matters. Lost Ark lets you progress slightly faster, or give you access to convenient tools like more Bifrost Slots, but all of those you can still get as a regular player. In order to sufficiently speed up your progress, you will always rely on other players to provide the materials you want to buy, and you will have to spend a few thousand bucks to get meaningful benefits (with EU central AH numbers, youd currently have to spend close to 2grand to gain 20ilvl, or just wait another day or two and do the same).

PvP is normalized/structured, so there is no P2W there, unless you care about Guildwars, where it matters maybe 2%, and no one cares about Guild Wars in LA.
As for PvE, the high-end content is also normalized (meaning you get scaled down if your ilvl is too high), so having higher ilvl doesn't actually improve your character. It is nice for bragging rights, though. A lot of content is scaled and you will have little issue getting to the required ilevels for the highest end content just by playing the game. Unless you're spending tens of thousands, you wont get there faster (and then you'd be playing by yourself) and you will still be lacking a variety of other character improvements that are needed, that you cannot buy., like Skill Points.

Overall, LA is one of the games where P2W obviously still exists, but it won't give you a meaningful advantage over others that play regularly. The only noticeable benefit to P2W would be if you're only playing the game for an hour or so every other day, but at that point, why do you care about whether someone else gets to a certain breakpoint or new content slightly faster than you anyway.

Dexter

Arcane
Another thing I found out that was apparently "shortened/streamlined" ahead of the Western release (by the original devs, similar to how they removed the Class Prologues in a recent Patch) seem to be the early dungeons: https://forums.playlostark.com/t/dungeon-are-smaller-than-in-previous-versions/50800/19
bd312e0a447a63ffd18186b17dd5673793a75295.jpeg

ab97a67b985af23b6925a7a026e34e61e4f2d353.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So far the game offered way too little quality content for the amount of walking around spamming G required.

This is a major problem with the game, agreed. It's also kind of bizarre. The game has excellent combat yet spends a lot of effort trying to get you to do anything else

That said, I wasn't commenting on the quality of the game, it was about the difficulty of the difficult content.

Is that supposed to appear at t2 or t3 ?.

Did you find, say, Vertus easy?

Last edited:

Dr1f7

Scholar
just looked at the classes and artillerist looks kinda fun.
if i can turn the game into quake it might be ok

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I was suprised by how good the last dungeon in Rohendel is. Especially the visuals. I imagine the abyss version of the last boss is going to be a bitch with pugs though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom