Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Ifeex

Augur
[manxing]Huh, D went better than I expected. I might've voted for x>D, but you've shown me the error of my ways.[/manxing]

No, seriously, with the exception of having to bail out Shun and having to fuck around with the time-space continuum to go back a thousand or so years, this is a great ending.

We did miss out on hot naga sex though. D:

Also, Elfberserker's post-apocalyptic wuxia idea thing sounds fucking awesome.

And treave, you forgot to add a title to our character sheet. Namely "Legend".

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Before I barrage with quostions, I would like to thank treave for such wonderful CYOA.
This was pretty much most entertaining and addictive thing this and last year.

1) Which one of Zhang Jue techniques ( wuni fist, chuchan fist, fanfex sword ) would had been most powerful, if we had been able to test them throughtly and developed them fully? How would they compared to our claws?

2) what kind of special qi did the scholar, farmer and orphan had? I think I remember that each of them were special snowflakes.

3) Was it pure luck that farmerbro was recruited into wudang during young tiger tournament since he happened to battle one of Wudang Bros and not lets say Kunlun kid? Or did BigWang had his eyes on him from start? Would any other sect recruit him?

4) What kind of techniques scholarbro used? Did he learn drunken fist or that Yuhue hall neigon technique?

5) Could Yao had been able to solve our Qi problem? Or would had we been left to hope that we would had run into BigWang or Lord Zhang?

Edit: 6) what happened to songfeng after shun got banished?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder if we can substitute qi with an external power source (thermonuclear-based?) and train our own personal army of Yang Xue-like soldiers.

ONE VISION, ONE PURPOSE!

The Heavens don't stand a chance.
This is how I envision our new flag:
Brotherhood_of_Fire.jpg

:bounce:
Can't wait to get back to this setting after the next LP.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
So D was the pray Ahura Mazda option, sorta.
Yeah, congratulations to all the D voters.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, d ended up both better and worse than I expected.

*sigh* and I so wanted to have freaky snake lady sex...

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well, d ended up both better and worse than I expected.

*sigh* and I so wanted to have freaky snake lady sex...

I...I am sure that Cao'er will have couple of new ideas about that...she might be eve fulfill that fraky snake lady sex part.

Kipeci

Arcane
Aw, Cao'er! Probably my biggest regret over the course of the LP was not hugging her all the way down to Yang Xue.

I'm feeling a bit :smug: about the eternal flame saving us. Knew the zoroastrian stuff was worth something, though they probably didn't get around to displacing much. I do like the fusion religious cult/ fanatical assassins thing, kind of like the namesakes for the word 'assassin'. Did the cult get around to accomplishing much in the future?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, you should start a patreon profile.
I... I don't feel oppressed enough yet. :negative:

Or perhaps kickstarter for couple of short stories?
I would totally support that.
One successful Kickstarter worth $30 later... please visit my Patreon and contribute for Part 2! Since I got 30x the budget I usually did for this project, the scope expanded considerably and out of my control. I had to cut the stories in half. :negative:

Baltika9

Arcane
All-in-all. this was a great ending to a great CYOA. That moment with Shun was worth everything we went through, I always knew he was our brother from the very beginning. Looking forward to busting him out from Space Alcatraz. :salute: That being said, this is obviously not the end (I doubt the third option for our next CYOA will be about Him and Shangguan in the Americas, sadly), so I'll refrain from too many 'what ifs,' since we'll be seeing all of our friends when we return.

Question time:
Zhang Jue: who is he? where did he come from? What is his history with Shangguan, Abbot Fangci and Nie Wuxing (the man seemed afraid of and hateful towards him, what happened?). Did he ever father children? Can we see his character sheet, please? And will we ever encounter him again?
Rong Muben and Songfeng School: What happened to them?
Jing's descendants: if our boy was Yesugei and his branch formed the Mongol Empire, what did our daughter do to surpass our deeds?
Nuwa: this is a massively spoilerific question, but did she do what she did out of love? I have a theory that this whole scenario is due to both of them, Nuwa and Chi You, fucking up their relationship.

General questions: what were the most powerful unarmed and sword technique in the setting, not counting the legendary techniques; what do Wuxiang Qiankun and Luanshi Wuchangdao look at their maximum levels; was there ever any chance to unlock some or any of Chi You's powers during this playthrough; what happened to our Ameshas; why did the old Emperor pick us for Shun, what did he need from the Cursed Child and what happened during his journey to India?
That should cover it for now, thanks in advance for the answers. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wow interesting. Thanks for hard work Trave i enjoyed the ride like always.

As for questions:

The hell is this time bending flame of pure awesomeness?
Lady Ji was Nuwa/allied with her trying to steer whole thing?
Who was rogue archetype? Was it Zhang Manxing?
How could we met superior astronom?
What happened to brothers wood and metal crafter of Shaolin?
Why Luoying Manor was burned?
Why former emperor sought Jing? What he expected?
What parts of Jing story were remembered by people? Probably he was remembered for passing Shaolin joke trial. How he was remembered?
Was there secret Rabbit ending?
Did beggars remember who made Wuying Leipo Kick?
What parts of world master Zhang travelled to?
Did he sought Yamatano for rematch?
How the hell is naga a goddess of human? (not that i am complaining)
Who was Chi You lover?

A really cool cat.

Yes.

Nope.

Train for only a year in Maniac Training II.

They left the monastery later, settled down with some nice women, and began working on a top secret project that would span generations. Jing would later meet their descendants...

It was all part of the plan.

All part of the plan.

Exploding the palace with the Emperor in it, primarily. The other pugilists had far longer and more illustrious careers that overshadowed his in the end.

If you ask for it with C.

No.

Every bit, even the poles.

No.

That part's actual mythology.

A mortal priestess.

Well I have a fuckton of questions. treave

1) Firstly who was Gao Ying? Where did he come from and what were his goals and motivations? How would he had fared against other pugilists despite not being a pugilist himself? or if he was under who did he train and how did he get into Shun's service?

2) How was Yang Xue defeated by Shun? I mean he was many times stronger than Wang Zhengchong and Ahura Mazda from what I understood and could even best Zhang Jue, Sword Saint and all the other pugilist combined, and that was before getting that elixir and becoming god like. So I take it he was much much more powerfull than we were, while we pretty much bested Shun in our last fight. So what happened back there?

3) You mentioned all our companions would have died had we not killed zhang manxing back then. Who would have killed Zhang Jue and the Sword Saint and how? They were pretty much the most powerfull guys in all jianghu.

4) Who was Lady Ji and what was her involvement with Zhang Jue and with all the god plots against the throne. What was the purpose for that manor?

5) What were Nie Wuxing and his wife up to? And what happened to Qilin's mother back when she dissapeared after Qilin was born?

6) How did Shun get possesed? Was it the Sword? What would have happened had we taken the Sword with us? And What would have happened if we had backed up Shun on his rampage against the sects?

7) Speaking of Swords, who was the Sword Demon? What happened to the demon that possesed us and what was with that weird question about why do we fight? In the end that thing was passed up and nothing came to it.

8) Who was Chi You's lover? I mean from the characters? I hardly believe that she never appeared at all.

9) What would had the astrologist say about our fate?

10) Why did the Emperor take us for Shun?

11) Had Wang Zhengchong and the cool masters lived and if Super Ahura would have emerged how different the story would have been?

12) What happened with the Little Tiger in the end?

13) Where the fuck did Tulu Houdu go and what was his agenda?

I'll be back with more questions once I think more about it.

An eunuch and orphan, raised like Jing. Good in a straight fight, deadlier in assassination.

With your new technique you could have overcome the gulf in raw power and beaten Yang Xue.

Yang Xue, Zhang Manxing, Nie Wuxing and Madam Nie. Betrayal's a bitch.

Immortal agent. Manor was just a useful hobby to while away the years while waiting for the multiple plots to come to fruition.

Corruption and power. Possessed by an immortal.

He wasn't possessed, technically. Sword sped things up. The influence began when he was sorting through his father's lab. Some books brought back from Lady Ji's Manor were there. You become Darth Vader.

Nothing came of the demon's possession? Check the updates when Nuwa appears, when you decide not to trust her, and when she attacks you.

Which one's your guess?

You're fucked. That's before you get a bit rough with him.

It was all part of the plan.

More epic.

Bandits gonna bandit. Carved out a comfortable little fiefdom during the chaos.

Retired. Agenda was just to make Wudu profitable and influential. Qilin showed enough backbone and leadership for him to leave it in her hands.

Before I barrage with quostions, I would like to thank treave for such wonderful CYOA.
This was pretty much most entertaining and addictive thing this and last year.

1) Which one of Zhang Jue techniques ( wuni fist, chuchan fist, fanfex sword ) would had been most powerful, if we had been able to test them throughtly and developed them fully? How would they compared to our claws?

2) what kind of special qi did the scholar, farmer and orphan had? I think I remember that each of them were special snowflakes.

3) Was it pure luck that farmerbro was recruited into wudang during young tiger tournament since he happened to battle one of Wudang Bros and not lets say Kunlun kid? Or did BigWang had his eyes on him from start? Would any other sect recruit him?

4) What kind of techniques scholarbro used? Did he learn drunken fist or that Yuhue hall neigon technique?

5) Could Yao had been able to solve our Qi problem? Or would had we been left to hope that we would had run into BigWang or Lord Zhang?

Edit: 6) what happened to songfeng after shun got banished?

The sword technique would have been most useful, considering the opponents you faced.

I used to know but then I forgot.

It was a toss up between Wudang or Huashan.

Running away techniques and techniques to attack from afar.

He would eventually have brought you to Wang when the time was right.

They were a minor school. The same thing that happened to all the other minor schools.

All-in-all. this was a great ending to a great CYOA. That moment with Shun was worth everything we went through, I always knew he was our brother from the very beginning. Looking forward to busting him out from Space Alcatraz. :salute: That being said, this is obviously not the end (I doubt the third option for our next CYOA will be about Him and Shangguan in the Americas, sadly), so I'll refrain from too many 'what ifs,' since we'll be seeing all of our friends when we return.

Question time:
Zhang Jue: who is he? where did he come from? What is his history with Shangguan, Abbot Fangci and Nie Wuxing (the man seemed afraid of and hateful towards him, what happened?). Did he ever father children? Can we see his character sheet, please? And will we ever encounter him again?
Rong Muben and Songfeng School: What happened to them?
Jing's descendants: if our boy was Yesugei and his branch formed the Mongol Empire, what did our daughter do to surpass our deeds?
Nuwa: this is a massively spoilerific question, but did she do what she did out of love? I have a theory that this whole scenario is due to both of them, Nuwa and Chi You, fucking up their relationship.

General questions: what were the most powerful unarmed and sword technique in the setting, not counting the legendary techniques; what do Wuxiang Qiankun and Luanshi Wuchangdao look at their maximum levels; was there ever any chance to unlock some or any of Chi You's powers during this playthrough; what happened to our Ameshas; why did the old Emperor pick us for Shun, what did he need from the Cursed Child and what happened during his journey to India?
That should cover it for now, thanks in advance for the answers. :salute:

Zhang Jue is Zhang Jue and his adventures are too many to recount in a simple Q&A. Also, a real man does not need a character sheet.

Same thing that happened to all the other minor schools.

Queen of the Desert.

She just needs your love and attention.

Taiji/Dragon Palms/Shaolin Skills/Vairya's Fist for unarmed, it's highly debatable. On the sword side there is no such conundrum: Sword Saint is best.

They look awesome.

Not really, no.

They did their duties in their own way.

All part of the plan.

Baltika9

Arcane
What would our fate have looked like had we accepted Nuwa's proposal. Would we really have kept sexing us for all eternity?
Edit: also, what happened to Rung Muben and his direct family specifically? I still feel bad for screwing the man over like that all the time.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What would our fate have looked like had we accepted Nuwa's proposal. Would we really have kept sexing us for all eternity?
Edit: also, what happened to Rung Muben and his direct family specifically? I still feel bad for screwing the man over like that all the time.
Kissing her feet means that she can break any terms of the deal she dislikes later with impunity and you wouldn't have cared.

Nothing of note.

Baltika9

Arcane
Speaking of which, how would my idea for C have turned out? Not well, I imagine. :lol:
treave, I have an idea. Do what we do best: make love, not war; we can make her scream our name before she can make us scream hers. If we win, she is ours. If she wins, we are hers.

Kipeci

Arcane
Would we have been boned in my version of C where we would have told Nuwa that she wasn't the heavenly assistance we were looking for and tried to pray to Ahura Mazda/whatever it is that the Fire Cult reveres (that was never entirely clear?) instead? Or would that have worked out about the same?

Also, did the Fire/Wudu Cult survive over the years fairly well? By the time Cao'er is around there are at least descendents of Qilin and Yunzi left, but is that due more to Cao'er CK2 breeding micromanagement?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of which, how would my idea for C have turned out? Not well, I imagine. :lol:

With the conditions known beforehand, you wouldn't win.

Would we have been boned in my version of C where we would have told Nuwa that she wasn't the heavenly assistance we were looking for and tried to pray to Ahura Mazda/whatever it is that the Fire Cult reveres (that was never entirely clear?) instead? Or would that have worked out about the same?

Also, did the Fire/Wudu Cult survive over the years fairly well? By the time Cao'er is around there are at least descendents of Qilin and Yunzi left, but is that due more to Cao'er CK2 breeding micromanagement?

No real difference from D.

Cao'er needs to get her minions from somewhere...

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh yeah, what happened there with the flame? Did Hormazd come through or is the flame totally not related to him? Inb4 we can cause his birth in Part II and take our bro on an invasion of Heavanz.

Baltika9

Arcane
+M
I know what I'm picking for the next CYOA, then. The story is by no means finished.

Absinthe

Arcane
Huh, that turned out better than expected.

May as well ask: Was Bai Jiutian the rogue archetype? I mean, raised from urchins, skilled in play-acting, high speech/charisma/dex, surprising stealth skills, underhanded methods?

Baltika9, personally, I'd rather pick Hobo Rider for the next CYOA. Revisiting this story/etc is cool, but I think a change of pace would be better first.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'd personally pick Hobo Rider for the next CYOA, Baltika9. Revisiting this story/etc is cool, but I think a change of pace would be better first.
I'm halfway on the fence about this one myself, but I really want to go ahead and finish Jing's story. We already have one loose end with the EPIC universe, I want to see this one through to the end. Bust out Shun from Space Alcatraz, try to reconcile Chi You and Nuwa (like I said, I have a feeling that both of them are at fault here), be an annoying (Grandx20) father to our kids and raise them to be real asskickers (they can't even punch a wounded man properly, this is unacceptable for our progeny!), see what kind of impact our Master left on the Americas (inb4 Aztec God), and get back to our timeline and fix BJ's, Yifang's, Lingshu's and the Nie Twin's loneliness.
And, most of all, LARP Wuxia in New York City.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm all for revisiting the story, but I also think this CYOA was suffering from fatigue towards the end so I'd rather try something different before getting back to it.

On a side-note, I'm impressed with the amount of effort treave seems to have put into this.

Baltika9

Arcane
Or perhaps kickstarter for couple of short stories?
I would totally support that.
One successful Kickstarter worth $30 later... please visit my Patreon and contribute for Part 2! Since I got 30x the budget I usually did for this project, the scope expanded considerably and out of my control. I had to cut the stories in half. :negative:
How much for the Chronicle of Zhang Jue, The First of His Name?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
see what kind of impact our Master left on the Americas (inb4 Aztec God)

By the time the Spaniards arrived hundreds of years later the myth of the Great White God had somehow become the legend of the Great Fist God.

And the Fist God spake, "You need to cut out the hearts with a knife?"

May as well ask: Was Bai Jiutian the rogue archetype? I mean, raised from urchins, skilled in play-acting, high speech/charisma/dex, surprising stealth skills, underhanded methods?

Not really, not at the start, but I was struggling with character bloat so some characters were merged or didn't get as much showings as I'd wanted.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom