Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm basing it off what E said - ie, some weird shit is going on here and it's best we find out about it now. That and treave said B1 probably wouldn't have us getting to meet the tribes and learn the their neigong skillz.
Yeah, we'll be learning neiggong from the child immortals and Shulgi.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The talents of the Tujue lie in things like impressive horse-riding skills and quick, coordinated raids and being a general pain in the ass for sedentary folks. They're not known for their supreme l33t kungfu skills.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ah, ok. I get it. treave, so will we be seeking out the child immortals/Shulgi or no...?
The tribes have no neigong skills worth your time. Look at Huluzi, strongest of the Ashina. If you want to pursue martial arts and actually do something about the main storyline in a fucking martial arts harem LP spending your days with them is a huge waste of time.
fix'd
:rpgcodex:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, so that's why you guys are going to Tianshan. You're aiming to add little girls to the harem.

Anyway, I'm leaving the vote open indefinitely, but it could close at any time, so if you guys want to flop, better do it quick.

Well, I mean the girl is supposed to be hundreds of years old and uh, er, I mean...

Screw it. Flopping to B1 I just realized treave just (sort of) revealed that B1 would progress us in the main storyline of the LP. Or would allow us to progress...or...well, whatever. Harem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esquilax

Arcane
Hey, what if Yunzi never left on a vacation? What if the Amesha Spenta are lying to us while preparing her for a virgin sacrifice for the ressurection (or healing, fuck if I know) of Ahura.

What if that was the role of the Holy Maiden all along?

You guys are entirely to gullible.

Well, considering that the Fire Cult was pushing for Yunzi to marry Ahura as far as almost three years ago, I don't think that's likely. Btw, I added your vote to the list, thanks for the reminder. It would be an interesting turn of events if Yunzi were actually in there, though.

Please do. We don't need to get mired in this bullshit anymore. We've abandoned fucking everyone who had a reason to care about the fire temple. I have no idea why you guys are into burning bridges then trying to run back over them, but this stupidity needs to end.

A is the most suicidal option there is with the least guarantee of any good payoff and somehow people are gunning for it because their hormones are acting up.

B1 on the other hand opens up interesting content.

I dunno man, sneaking into the Fire Temple and figuring out what sort of nefarious shit they are up to is pretty interesting. :lol: I think you're being a little unfair about gunning for A because of "hormones". Whatever is going on inside that Temple, the Cult has been preparing for it before we had even departed for Dukezong and it is important enough that they aren't paying any mind to Yunzi's little vacation because of it. It is so important that five Amesha Spenta came out of the woodwork just as soon as we drew near. This situation has nothing to do with Yunzi, because whatever is going on in there is bigger than that.

Sunk cost is a fucking fallacy.

Stealth is fucking fail against these guys.

The Spenta want to fucking kill us if we intrude right now.

Making the decision to sneak in after they told us to gtfo is all sorts of bad.

I don't think that I'm using a sunk cost fallacy here. I'm not saying "Well, we couldn't find Yunzi, and we're at the Fire Cult anyways, so might as well sneak in to make this trip worth it, finally". My argument in favour of A has always been "Something rotten is going on in there, and we came here just in time to stop it." I understand your point about Stealth, though; Vairya caught us and we had the same Stealth skill then that we do now. However, we have scouted the place before and they won't be anticipating our arrival after they put the fear of God in us - they just don't seem to realize how big Jing's balls are at this point. Only one person seemed to appreciate that quality so far:

Unfortunately, it has always been your bad habit not to back down in the face of death.

Forcing your legs to stay upright with all of your will, you maintain your polite smile. “I was wondering if you would be so kind as to acquaint me with your good self,” you say, a bead of sweat trickling down your face. You hear a few gasps from the crowd.

A flicker of interest sparks in his dark eyes. A smile stretches itself slowly over his face. His gaze turns sharp and keen, staring intently into you. The bearded man places his large hands over your shoulders, channeling his internal energy into your body. You feel a throb of dark warmth seeping into your core. Then, he speaks, “Your qi. How very interesting. How beautifully chaotic, like the raging swirls of a stormy ocean. You have rare talent. It would be a shame if I did not let it blossom.”

Then, his smile turns into a wicked grin. “You will be my next apprentice. I have just run out of living ones. Come, I am taking you home.”

sigh... He's sooo dreamy. treave, was Jing more afraid at the gates of the Fire Temple than he was when he first met Master Zhang?

Now, back on topic. The key question is how we're going to sneak through the place with Vairya there, who had no trouble spotting us before. Honestly, I am not sure. I am banking on them being too occupied with whatever secret task they have inside. This is shaky reasoning on my part, I'll admit, since I don't know how distracted they'll be, so I still might flop to B1, but I feel fucked up about leaving the Fire Cult to their own devices. Something is going on here, and it's bad.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zhang was scarier, but the gap in strength between you and him back then was larger than the gap between you and the Amesha Spenta right now. You would be easily killed if all five of them attacked at once, yes, but one on one it wouldn't be a quick curbstomp. At least, that's how Jing gauges his chances.

Screw it. Flopping to B1 I just realized treave just (sort of) revealed that B1 would progress us in the main storyline of the LP. Or would allow us to progress...or...well, whatever. Harem.

All of the choices will, and some more so than others. Obviously the far-flung places like Tianshan, Tibet and Dali will net you less information about what is going on, but there will be some ties to the main plot that gives you an idea of the struggles happening back in the Central Plains.

Esquilax

Arcane
Zhang was scarier, but the gap in strength between you and him back then was larger than the gap between you and the Amesha Spenta right now. You would be easily killed if all five of them attacked at once, yes, but one on one it wouldn't be a quick curbstomp. At least, that's how Jing gauges his chances.

Was Jing able to roughly gauge Vairya or Vahista's power in relation to himself? He felt some killing intent rising from them, so I suppose that means he could see roughly how strong they were, right? Also, if possible, could he sense how strong Vairya is compared to Master Zhang right now? They were even before, but I suspect that after our Master's Japanese Adventure, the Southern Maniac is significantly more powerful.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Was Jing able to roughly gauge Vairya or Vahista's power in relation to himself?

More powerful. In comparison to Zhang Jue he can't tell unless he fights them, though, but Vahista and Vairya at least should still be in the same tier. He doesn't actually rate his own chances of actually beating any of the Amesha Spenta one on one, but he thinks that he can take them on for quite a few rounds, barring any surprises like Vairya unleashing his super move, which you barely dodged when Yunzi used it, and killing you with one hit. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No idea. As I said, indefinitely until I have a chance to update. I don't know when that will be, but it could be in the next few hours, or much later, or even sometime this week.

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck, we'd better jump on a solid option to end this asap then. Jonesing for that next update.

kazgar

Arcane
Problem with the votes is that the 5 B options votes are taking away from each other, so even though more people are voting to go somewhere else, the lack of cohesion means we'll probably stay even though less people want it.

Also, this thread had like 230 posts since i last checked (and the update) I was about .75 Anabanana butthurt about what happened, but now down to .1 or so with time.

kazgar

Arcane
treave, can you put the additional detail from the voting post here into the update itself so people who can't find which of the 6 pages has the additional information?

Edit, and just for carrying the details along

Now, let's look at the places.

B1. Tianshan Range, near Tujue territory. The place where golden fox leaves are harvested by the masked Xueguizi. Their leader is called the Tianshan Child Elder, a secretive and mysterious little girl that is said to have lived for more than a hundred years, eternally unaging. The Xueguizi are also a sect that is said to focus strongly on yin-based inner strength techniques, and have great knowledge of neigong.

B2. Chang'an, Huashan, pretty much known already. The HQ of the Beggars changes from time to time, and apparently has moved to Chang'an recently.

B3. Emei and Qingcheng should be familiar places by now. Not much to add here.

B4. The Duan clan is famed for three techniques in particular: The Yiyang Finger which was later taught to Shaolin when one of their kings became a monk there, the Duan Family Swordplay, and the Six Meridian Divine Swords, a finger technique utilizing different fingers to project cutting and piercing qi at the opponent after the form of the Duan Family Swordplay.

B5. You don't have any info on anything west of here, just that they have lamas.

Hope B5 and lamas and llamas.

Baltika9

Arcane
Haha, I'd rather troll the Fire Cult by pretending to be Ahura Mazda's second incarnation.

The troll to surpass them all.
:troll:

Tribute

Arbiter
The bearded man places his large hands over your shoulders, channeling his internal energy into your body. You feel a throb of dark warmth seeping into your core.
Somehow I never noticed all the innuendo when I read this the first time.

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, the reason why I mention hormones is because "Something rotten is going on in there and we need to stop it" despite having no idea of what's going on and a high chance of failure and death yet still going for it is the kind of irrational "gut feeling" / emotional need that I may as well call "hormones." Hell, have you considered that part of the reason why we're so unwelcome in the Fire Temple is the same reason why Yunzi is AWOL - because we need to lay low with recent events (dead prince, kidnapped princess) not drag the heat to the Fire Temple? I just see this as being mostly fail and accomplishing little.

As for the news about the calamity in the Eight Sects world, most likely Yang Xue finally exited those caves and is on the move again.

At any rate, we're not going to have the luxury to keep skipping from one place to the next. I think the promise of a neigong boost is the best avenue to pursue right now, so I'm with B1. I'll make it a ranked preference vote of B1>B3>B4>B2>B5 on my part.

Zero Credibility, profreshinal, Anabanana, TOME, Kashmir Slippers, XenomorphII: Would you guys be willing to flop or make ranked preference votes so that A does not win?

Treave, you double-counted profreshinal in your tally.

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, the reason why I mention hormones is because "Something rotten is going on in there and we need to stop it" despite having no idea of what's going on and a high chance of failure and death yet still going for it is the kind of irrational "gut feeling" / emotional need that I may as well call "hormones." Hell, have you considered that part of the reason why we're so unwelcome in the Fire Temple is the same reason why Yunzi is AWOL - because we need to lay low with recent events (dead prince, kidnapped princess) not drag the heat to the Fire Temple? I just see this as being mostly fail and accomplishing little.

I thought that the Fire Cult laying low was the case initially as well, but I'm sure that's not the case after looking through the update. The Temple was closed to the public even before we left for Dukezong, so the debacle with the Prince is unrelated. Also, they seem unconcerned about Yunzi; better for her to be caught out while travelling than here, where the Fire Cult is doing some important and secretive work. This is rather telling, given how protective they are of her normally. Our character might not be as brilliant as Yu, but he was intelligent enough to realize that the only thing that could get them to be so on edge like this was Ahura, which is why Jing brought it up at the end of the update. That's why I think that this must have something to do with him.

Yes, A is incredibly dangerous, but a red herring it is not.

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, checked the text again. You have a point that this has to do with Ahura, but we still don't know what exactly. We seem to all have agreed that A has a high chance of failure, so this seems like a bad idea to me. If Ahura does revive while we're gone, that's fine. We'll be back with Tianshan-boosted super neigong (c'mon it has a cap of FIFTEEN, we should be able to get something ridiculous going on here) and ready to fuck him up properly.

Not rushing you, treave bro. Just don't want to come back after 15 more pages of discuss to find us in a lock again or worse, going after lamas...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No more reloads, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom