Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Closing the votes, combination III, V / A / A wins.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Oi. It's sad III is going to come in second. While it would be nice information, it just isn't pressing. And we should consider that there are 10 great swords and we REALLY only want information on ONE of them. The odds are against us there. VI is more pressing and likely to give us something useful.

Wait, III and IV? You mean V right?

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, did you account for my flop to VI from IV?
Agreed,
I, VI- I want to know of our future Master as well, he already seems to know of our qi problems and how to utilize them.
A- play to our strengths, this is a pretty big skill bonus. Weapons we can learn from the military or from a master.
A- the Scholar intrigues me and he seems to have a plan, plus Qiling may know what to do with Yao's poison.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Right now you're losing your mind over the arm incident
I am not losing my mind. I am expressing my right to say 'fuck this' when someone else declares 'I know what you need better than you do, you are coming with me and you have no say in the matter'. 'You don't need an arm' - that is just a bonus illustrating how much sanity the guy has left in him.

Grimgravy said:
And we should consider that there are 10 great swords and we REALLY only want information on ONE of them.
Why? We don't need any specific info about this sword. We want to know why they are sought so vigorously.

And I have a feeling we would be meeting other sword wielders along the way.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys are forgetting it is also dishonorous as fuck to abandon Yao and Cao'er* like that. They saved our life, gave us a roof and knowledge. We are in their debt. The Tigerwolf pays his debts.
I would go with Zhang after we pay our debt. With our 5 speech it may be very well possible to convince him of this**, and of the fact we're better to him with two arms, for realz.

*also it would be harder to include Cao'er in our harem if we left on bad terms
**People usually respect honour in this setting. Considering that he already has some respect for us due to our MASSIVE BALLS in approaching him, he may respect us enough to allow us to pay our debt before going with him.
Doubt that anyone is apt to leave Yao right here and right now.

Zhang's someone to look up later is all.

Baltika9

Arcane
You guys are forgetting it is also dishonorous as fuck to abandon Yao and Cao'er* like that. They saved our life, gave us a roof and knowledge. We are in their debt. The Tigerwolf pays his debts.
I would go with Zhang after we pay our debt. With our 5 speech it may be very well possible to convince him of this**, and of the fact we're better to him with two arms, for realz.

**People usually respect honour in this setting. Considering that he already has some respect for us due to our MASSIVE BALLS in approaching him, he may respect us enough to allow us to pay our debt before going with him.
That's the plan right now, bro, and I'm with you a hundred percent on this loyalty thing. :salute:
Baltika9 said:
Right now you're losing your mind over the arm incident
I am not losing my mind. I am expressing my right to say 'fuck this' when someone else declares 'I know what you need better than you do, you are coming with me and you have no say in the matter'. 'You don't need an arm' - that is just a bonus illustrating how much sanity the guy has left in him.
Funny thing is, in regards to our qi, he does know what's good for us better than we and the greatest medic alive do. :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
People usually respect honour in this setting. Considering that he already has some respect for us due to our MASSIVE BALLS in approaching him, he may respect us enough to allow us to pay our debt before going with him. Nobody likes conniving, egoistic assholes.
Zhang can afford not to give a single fuck about honor. The man is obviously used to getting what he wants the way he wants it, and he is past caring about who likes and dislikes what.

I would be more interested in apprenticeship under Zhang if it did not bear an uncanny resemblance to slavery. Maybe when we are older and when we could negotiate our own terms.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
And being indentured to Yao through poison isn't morally superior. Sure it's insurance, but still rather inhuman, with the whole "you die if you skip on me" thing. He forced this on us just like Zhang is trying to force his tutelage, the only reason he gave a damn about Jing in the first place is because Cao'er begged him for it. Sure, we grew on him, who's to say we can't grow on this maniac?
:troll:
And Yao isn't the sanest of people himself; in fact we'd be going from one madman to another.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ITT we see people leap to conclusions without any evidence.
Evidence: The guy wants to rip our arm off because he can't wait to make us his biapprentice.
Conclusion: The guy is bonkers. I don't want to be anywhere near him.

Overly simplistic, yes, but I don't suppose I can be any more clear.
I think if Jing went with the guy, he would either become twisted, or break, as did others before him. Zhang has a will of iron, and he imposes it on others freely. It would be next to impossible to both keep our identity and survive.

Just as having the Killer Physician save one life means he takes another, right?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Not going to put this information into the actual update, so let's have this here:

Regarding your condition, you find out little. Having an even mix of yin and yang internal energy is not unheard of; it is rarely natural but does exist, and a common state for high-level Wudang masters. However, being born with chaotic internal energy that clashes so badly is something that no one has ever encountered. There appears to be no precedent for your condition. You are unique. As for a cure, it is possible that the Grand Taoist of Wudang, Wang Zhengchong, would be skilled enough to eventually find a way to harmonize and soothe your qi should you seek his aid. The people you ask believe that no one else will even be qualified enough to attempt such a thing without killing the patient in the process.

As for the swords, this information will be added to the chronicle for reference. In the mean time, here it is:

The Ten Great Swords

In the history of the land, swordsmen have always sought after the best blades that they could wield; the Ten Great Swords stand heads and shoulders above the rest. The tale of each of the Ten Great Swords is a long and winding journey that tells of both peace and bloodshed, salvation and betrayal, love and hate. Since their creation many have died in pursuit of the swords; they are as beautiful as they are deadly. To own one of the Ten is to be command prestige in the world of blades... and to draw envious eyes that ever seek to take the sword for themselves.

Xuanyuan Sword
A divine blade rumoured to be made of celestial copper by immortals during the Xia dynasty nearly 3000 years ago, it is rumoured that whosoever possesses this sword will gain Heaven's favour and rule the land. It is said to be able to split mountains and divide oceans with a single swing. No one knows the location of the sword, though it is rumoured to be buried somewhere deep in the mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor.

Tai'e Sword
Forged from a falling star by the master swordsmiths Ou Yezi and Gan Jiang during the Spring and Autumn Period, said to be bestowed upon the King of Chu as a blessing from the gods. It is said that it draws upon the courageous will of its wielder to augment the swordsman's qi, striking fear into his opponents when drawn. Currently in possession of Taishan as one of their sect's treasures.

Qixing Longyuan Sword
An elegant blade made by Ou Yezi and Gan Jiang, and said to be their most beautiful work. Cooled in seven ponds that are laid out in a pattern resembling the Big Dipper, the Qixing Longyuan Sword is said to be so pristine that it cuts without staining its blade with blood. Currently in the possession of Wudang as one of their sect's treasures.

Chixiao Sword
A blood-red sword drawn from the corpse of a giant white snake, this sword once belonged to the founding Emperor of the Han Dynasty, Liu Bang. It has a commanding presence, and is rumoured to have been bestowed upon the Han Emperor by an immortal. Its whereabouts have been unknown since the fall of the Han Dynasty more than six hundred years ago, but recently it is rumoured that a mysterious swordsman has been spotted wielding a crimson blade.

Zhanlu Sword
A nigh-indestructible large sword with a blade so black that it has been likened to the all-seeing, deep eyes of Heaven. Ou Yezi considered this his greatest work; a blade that reflects benevolence. A moral, kind man would not be parted from the sword, while whoever seeks to use it for their own greed will be swiftly brought to ruin by karma. Currently in the possession of the swordsman Shangguan Chuji.

Chengying Sword
A delicate sword with a light, flexible blade. Its maker is unknown, but the history of the sword dates back to the Shang Dynasty, more than two thousand years ago. In the hands of a skilled user, the blade appears almost invisible in action. It was rumoured to be in the possession of the Xiahou clan, a family of bureaucrats and scholars, but since the massacre of the clan the sword has gone missing.

Chunjun Sword
Forged by Ou Yezi for the King of Yue, this majestic sword appears to glow radiantly when drawn under sunlight. It is said to be able to cut through another sword with a single blow, such is its power. Currently in possession of the Master of the Huashan Sect, Nie Wuxing.

Yuchang Sword
Famous for being the sword that killed King Liao of Wu, this sword is light to the touch and handles far more easily than any blade in existence. It was once gifted to the Emei Sect by an Emperor of the Han Dynasty, and counts as one of their sect's treasures, but a hundred years ago the sword was stolen and has not been seen since. Currently in the possession of Xu Jing.

Gan Jiang and Mo Ye
Forged by the swordsmith couple Gan Jiang and Mo Ye for the King of Wu. It is rumoured that the wife, Mo Ye, turned herself into a human sacrifice to complete the twin swords. The Gan Jiang Sword is powerful and commanding while the Mo Ye Sword is gentle and flexible. It is currently in the keeping of the swordsman Zuo Qingfeng and his wife, You Lanhai.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Xuanyuan Sword
A divine blade rumoured to be made of celestial copper by immortals during the Xia dynasty nearly 3000 years ago, it is
rumoured that whosoever possesses this sword will gain Heaven's favour and rule the land.
Oh. A Mandate of Heaven it is.

I smell a revolt in the near future.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Well, now we know the Emei will never never let us keep our sword if or when they find out we have it. Sect treasure and all.
Sadly no nearer to solving our problems or duties.

Jester

Arbiter

**People usually respect honour in this setting. Considering that he already has some respect for us due to our MASSIVE BALLS in approaching him, he may respect us enough to allow us to pay our debt before going with him. Nobody likes conniving, egoistic assholes.
Yes i think we should repay that kindness no mater the cost.
Prefer sis Cao, harem Cao feels wrong.
Zhao should be swayed with honor and possibility of getting apprentice with two hands.

Jester

Arbiter
Chengying Sword
A delicate sword with a light, flexible blade. Its maker is unknown, but the history of the sword dates back to the Shang Dynasty, more than two thousand years ago. In the hands of a skilled user, the blade appears almost invisible in action. It was rumoured to be in the possession of the Xiahou clan, a family of bureaucrats and scholars, but since the massacre of the clan the sword has gone missing.
Could it be family of scholar archetype we could have chosen?
Xuanyuan Sword
A divine blade rumoured to be made of celestial copper by immortals during the Xia dynasty nearly 3000 years ago, it is rumoured that whosoever possesses this sword will gain Heaven's favour and rule the land. It is said to be able to split mountains and divide oceans with a single swing. No one knows the location of the sword, though it is rumoured to be buried somewhere deep in the mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor.
Would be nice gift for our brother emperor.
Gan Jiang and Mo Ye
Forged by the swordsmith couple Gan Jiang and Mo Ye for the King of Wu. It is rumoured that the wife, Mo Ye, turned herself into a human sacrifice to complete the twin swords. The Gan Jiang Sword is powerful and commanding while the Mo Ye Sword is gentle and flexible. It is currently in the keeping of the swordsman Zuo Qingfeng and his wife, You Lanhai.
There are independent swords users having great swords? Thought that all will be in sects possession.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Midnight in Luoying

You wonder just why you are doing this. Chi Qilin leads the way, darting between the shadows of the naked trees with all the ease of a weasel. She’s a much better sneak than you are, but that is not surprising considering her duplicitous nature. “I hear them ahead,” whispers Qilin as she presses herself flat against the wall, while you kneel besides her. The both of you peek around the corner.

The young scholar and the other two men are standing in front of a gate that leads to the inner compound. The scholar is unarmed, while the other two men have sabers hanging from their They appear to be arguing, though you cannot make out their words from this distance. The scholar begins gesticulating wildly.

“Falling out between thieves?” you murmur.

“No, I don’t think so,” says Qilin. “The scholar is talking about… let’s see, a sword? Family? I can’t read the lips of the other two, it’s too dark and the angle is wrong.”

One of the men draws his saber. Instantly, the scholar begins to shout for help, backing away.

“So, what do we do?” asks Qilin. “Are we going to help?”

You brought me all the way out here and you ask me this?” you respond with a snort of disbelief.

“I’m a lady,” she simpers. “A gentleman should lead the way. Besides, they don’t look too tough.”

“How good are you at fighting? I’m not sure we should stick our necks out.” After the events of today, you can’t help but be cautious.

With a grin, Qilin whips out a pair of throwing knives. “Allow me to demonstrate.” Barely taking any time to aim, she hurls it at the saber-wielding man before you have time to remind her that killing isn’t allowed on the manor grounds.

The knife flies straight and true – it hits the man’s head hilt-first, causing him to shout out in pain. The other man whips his head around and spots the two of you immediately. You bemoan your bad luck and run out at him, cursing the troublesome Qilin as you do. If you ran away now you’d never hear the end of it from her. At any rate, since you are already out here, you might as well see this through.

The other man pulls out his saber as you charge at him. The moment he raises his weapon, a knife hits his hand point first, sinking into his palm. He drops the saber, screaming in agony, and you drive your knee into his stomach. As he staggers back, groaning, you shift your footing and sweep him off his feet with a kick.

The first assailant leaps at you before you can finish off your opponent, his saber narrowly missing your chest. As you quickly withdraw, a stone flies at the man – he blocks it with the flat of his blade. “What happened to your knives?” you shout.

“I only brought two! Sorry!” comes the reply. “Wasn’t expecting any trouble!”

“What? You weren’t-“

You are forced to cut your indignant shout short as you roll away from another slash. Though Qilin’s constant stone throwing keeps the man off balance, he is skilled enough to deflect the stones while leaving no room for you to press your attack. You draw your dagger and attempt to stab at him, but your hasty attack is poorly executed. With a flourish of his saber, he knocks your puny blade away, leaving you open for a counter attack.

The young scholar tackles the man in the back. The man staggers forward, but is otherwise unmoved. With a quick blow, he knocks the scholar to the ground. You attempt to move forward, but the saber flashes back into a guarding stance as the man’s eyes dart towards the girl behind you.

This time, however, two stones fly at him – he hits one away and is nailed by the other between the eyes. Qilin had lulled him into a predictable pattern by throwing only one stone at a time. With a yell, you step forth and seize the opportunity. You drive your dagger towards his chest.

There is a dull clang as your dagger hits metal in the folds of his robes. As the man pulls away, his clothes tear. A bronze crest falls out – that is probably what you hit.

You hear shouts in the distance – there are people approaching with lanterns in their hands. The man spits on the ground and runs off before you can stop him. His injured compatriot remains moaning on the ground, clutching his hand. You go to help the scholar up as some servants and guests of the manor arrive, attracted by the commotion.

“Miss Chi,” you say in a sickly sweet voice, “Could you go talk to the crowd? You got me into this mess after all.”

“Of course, Mister Xu,” she replies, in the same sickly sweet tone, “I would be delighted to help you out again after just saving your life with my throwing skills.”

As Qilin goes off to explain the situation, the scholar bows deeply, thanking you. “My name is Xiahou Yu. I believe we were on the same boat. Thank you for coming to my aid.” You return his bow. “I am Xu Jing. Don’t mention it, anyone would have done the same. May I ask why you were out here at night? Had I not been out on a stroll, things may have ended poorly for you, Master Xiahou.” He grimaces, looking at his remaining assailant. The man is being tied up by two servants of the manor, with Qilin proudly ordering them around as if she owns the place already.

“It is a personal matter. I had reason to believe one of the two men – the man that escaped – knew something about a recent calamity to befall my family. I decided to tail them, and then confront them.” Xiahou Yu sighs loudly, looking up at the moon with a wistful expression. “I suppose I am still too naïve to be travelling in the jianghu by myself.” You realize that you have heard of his surname recently, and in connection with a sword, too. The Xiahou clan, who were rumoured to have one of the Ten Great Swords, and who were reportedly attacked and killed by mysterious villains recently.

Yu bends down, picking up the bronze crest that the man had dropped. “Perhaps this will give me a clue. Do you recognize this, Master Xu?”

Your breath catches in your throat as the emblem on the crest comes into view. You recognize that symbol – it is the seal of the Emperor’s secret police, which you have seen but a few times. You doubt that the man you fought was one of them – they would be far more skilled, and wouldn’t leave such incriminating evidence behind – but he could be an auxiliary or a hired sword with connections.

“Master Xu?” asks the scholar again. You are unsure how to respond.

“This is an imperial symbol, Master Xiahou.” Again, Lady Ji comes to your rescue, appearing mysteriously by your side with no hint of her coming. “I will tell you more about it later in private. For now, you should retire to your chambers and get some rest for tomorrow.”

Xiahou Yu blushes and bows to the lady. Giving you a quick smile, he walks off, a servant joining him as an escort.

“Well, that was fun!” giggles Qilin as she comes to your side to greet the lady of the manor. “Good evening, Lady Ji.”

“You are out of your mind,” you sigh. “We could have been killed.”

“Events were under control. There was no need to worry,” says Lady Ji enigmatically, with a slight smile on her lovely lips. “Now, I would have words with the both of you immediately. You have been rather… adventurous. It would be remiss of me to allow you two to run about further without having your audience.” You are not sure whether she means to praise you or admonish you.

Following Lady Ji, you are brought to a small, brightly lit room. The walls are covered with beautiful ink paintings. The lady takes her seat and gestures for the two of you to follow suit.

“Xu Jing,” she calls out your name in a soft voice that would mesmerize any person. “Born under an unlucky star, brought from poverty to riches, and cast out from riches to poverty. Your life has charted an interesting path indeed. Having tasted the sweet fruits of freedom, you no longer yearn for life in the palace so strongly, do you?”

“Whoa. Wow,” exclaims Qilin. “Wait a minute. You’re a noble?”

Your back is tense and straight as you stare ahead of you. What is Lady Jing playing at by saying this in front of others? For that matter, how does she know of your background?

“In a way, yes. You can call Xu Jing a noble. He has had a noble’s education.”

Qilin begins grinning mischievously, as if she’s planning some sort of scheme in her mind. You are about to retort when the lady speaks again.

“And what about you, princess of poison?”

That shuts her up quickly, her expression changing from devious to shocked in a second.

“Your clan dangles their secrets above your head, daring you to taste the forbidden fruit. Your uncle and master of the sect has placed great expectations upon you, as his designated successor. You may seem driven, but you are uncertain inside, are you not? Are the secrets worth it? Are they worth killing your warmth, making you cold inside?”

Qilin laughs nervously. “My father said that you would be a tough woman to handle, Lady Ji. He was not wrong.”

“Everyone has their own past, Chi Qilin.” The lady addresses the both of you. “I will not say why I have revealed some of your secrets today. It is something you will have to ponder.”

“Perhaps the lady might be kind enough to reveal some of her own secrets as part of this mutual pondering session,” you reply, trying to get an advantage on the situation. “I must say that I am intrigued.”

“An interesting suggestion. Perhaps I will, but not today.” She gives a little chuckle of pleasure and turns to Qilin, looking at her straight in the eye. “You will not be selected as a fellow this year, but should you wish it, you will have an excellent chance in four years’ time.”

Qilin immediately begins pouting. “Seriously? That’s no fun. Father’s going to laugh at me and refuse to teach the more advanced poisons.” She doesn’t seem to depressed about the matter, despite her act.

“Now, about your standing, Xu Jing…”

Lady Ji turns her eyes towards you. You stare back, meeting her gaze without flinching. Her beautiful eyes are dark, speckled with hints of green. You wonder if it’s just a trick of the light.

“Answer this question with a simple yes or no. Do you desire to become a fellow of the manor?”

A. Yes.

B. No.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
The young scholar tackles the man in the back. The man staggers forward, but is otherwise unmoved. With a quick blow, he knocks the scholar to the ground. You attempt to move forward, but the saber flashes back into a guarding stance as the man’s eyes dart towards the girl behind you.

This time, however, two stones fly at him – he hits one away and is nailed by the other between the eyes. Qilin had lulled him into a predictable pattern by throwing only one stone at a time. With a yell, you step forth and seize the opportunity. You drive your dagger towards his chest.
We must gather our party before venturing forth. A figher, a thief an assassin, and a mage scholar. We'd be nigh unstoppable.
Why did the lady decide to reveal our past? Does she think that we might find some reason to unite?

And Qilin is with the Wudu Sect. Who would've guessed? Is it a coincidence that we met right after the failed takeover at Songfeng? It still might turn out to be just that, though it seems less likely now.

The plot value of Xuanyuan Blade seems obvious, but I am not sure how other swords tie into this.

Oh, and hell yes. A.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A

Knowing the way people have been voting in the past, I get the feeling B might win, unfortunately.

I really hope this isn't some sort of zen-like question, where he who does not seek power deserves power, or something.
And Qilin is with the Wudu Sect. Who would've guessed? Is it a coincidence that we met right after the failed takeover at Songfeng? It still might turn out to be just that, though it seems less likely now.

What's the bet she's been assigned the task of killing us but hasn't yet because of some sort of girlish crush?

“Your clan dangles their secrets above your head, daring you to taste the forbidden fruit. Your uncle and master of the sect has placed great expectations upon you, as his designated successor. You may seem driven, but you are uncertain inside, are you not? Are the secrets worth it? Are they worth killing your warmth, making you cold inside?

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
I really hope this isn't some sort of zen-like question, where he who does not seek power deserves power, or something.
If Lady Ji know that much about us, she also knows the lengths we went to get our hands on the invitation. There is no point in lying.

Smashing Axe said:
What's the bet she's been assigned the task of killing us but hasn't yet because of some sort of girlish crush?
I didn't opt to talk to her at every opportunity because I liked her or something! I was acting out of self-preservation, I swear!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doubt it, really. They don't have much of a motive beyond that Cao'er can cure a poison of theirs, not Jing Xu, Cao'er.

I guess I'll go with A.

Inb4 mission to join that involves killing SM.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh right, for some reason I was under the impression that the Songfeng heir was a secret apprentice of the Wuxu. If he just bought some poison from them, then they won't have much motivation to get us.

A.

I guess it could be some trick question, but what would be the point?

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that we have just fucked up the prefect's mission?

Nevill

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Yes, if it was REALLY Imperial crew they would've made short work of Jing and Qilin. Also, they might've recognized Jing.
They might have been hired blades, and the crest simply was a symbol meaning 'I'm with the government', handed over to them by the prefect.

...and I just realised that that was what you were saying.

Smashing Axe said:
Oh right, for some reason I was under the impression that the Songfeng heir was a secret apprentice of the Wuxu. If he just bought some poison from them, then they won't have much motivation to get us.
Do they just sell their own stuff? It was a very powerful poison, almost indistinguishable from an unknown sickness. I still have a suspicion that they did oversee the mission directly.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom