Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

    Quetzacoatl
    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1,794
    Location:
    Aztlán
    Changing to B3
     
    ^ Top  
  2. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,625
    Location:
    Ardamai
    B3, and hear the lamentations of his ladyboys
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    B3

    Why should we bring him to the king when we were instructed to kill him?
     
    ^ Top  
  4. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Ah, it's a damn shame we didn't get choice A, but the update's written. Let's deal with it. I'll vote A3. I want to hear the plans even if they are likely lies.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Don't change the update and:

    If it's information we want, he may be playing it smart: tell us some bullshit first and see if we spare him, then tell us the truth. Of course, if we drop him off with pops later, we don't know if shulgi did something to him or not (e.g living bomb, mind control or whatever). Yeah, A3.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. eklektyk Erudite

    eklektyk
    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1,761
    Location:
    mexico of europe
    A3

    so codex can be tormented with visions of madnes and be lured onto oblivion
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Curufinwe Learned

    Curufinwe
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2012
    Messages:
    271
    Location:
    Italy
    A3

    For me as well. Let's hear what he has to say then kill him, he'll be of no further use to us. And Sargon did order him killed.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Sergiu64 Arcane

    Sergiu64
    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    Messages:
    1,758
  10. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,822
    Yeah, but who's he going to imprison us with? The men that we saved in Memphis and again at the walls of Akkad? It seems to me that at this point Ean has more love and support from the troops than King Sargon does.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,643
    Location:
    NZ
    A3, as the king is getting less and less reliable an an ally.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. XenomorphII Prophet

    XenomorphII
    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,114
    I think it is a bit presumptive to assume that the army would side with us because of two battles, when many of them have presumably been fighting with the king (and winning) for years. We have a start with the troops, but to directly challenge the king without him doing something seriously nasty (that would justify outright treason) would be foolish.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,643
    Location:
    NZ
    I think they would follow us. It's mentioned how loyal the troops are to us and how beloved we are by them. We are also obviously immortal and the king is not.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    A last minute surge sees A3 winning with 9 votes.

    Chapter 1.12: Dam If You Do

    "Fine. I'll listen. Tell me what he is planning, and I will release you."

    Rimush smiles at you. You cannot believe that this man is a son of a king, let alone able to take the throne. He begins to spill what he knows.

    The city of Akkad, like all other Sumerian cities, was irrigated with a complex series of levees, canals and dams controlling the flow of water from the great rivers nearby, the Tigris and the Euphrates. While you were in Egypt, Rimush had been instructed to begin construction of certain channels of water directly into the city. Shortly before the siege began, Shulgi had left the city with a few dozen of his cultists. Rimush tells you that while we were distracted by the city, Shulgi had begun plans to flood Akkad. He will do so once the king has entered the city himself, and in the ensuing confusion seal his victory by unleashing a few thousand of his loyal cultists in an ambush on the king. As far as you can understand, the crux of the plan hinges on a particular dam just north of here. That is where Shulgi is camped with his men.

    How strong do you think the flooding waters will be?

    Prompted by the voice, you ask Rimush that question.

    "I do not know. Shulgi claims it will be strong enough to drown many of your forces."

    You nod. "Thank you for the information, Rimush." You see a wide grin of relief over his face, which just as soon turns into fear as he sees you lift your axe over your head.

    "Wait... you promised. You said you were going to release me?"

    "Of course. I release you from this mortal coil." you quip, and bring your axe down on his neck.

    ***

    "Traitors! Your king is dead!" you bellow, lifting Rimush's head aloft. In death his fearful expression has frozen on his face, giving him a decidedly undignified death mask. Many of the enemy break and flee the battle, while others fall to their knees and surrender, pleading for mercy. You have won the wall relatively easily, thanks to Rimush's death.

    Now you need to decide what to do with the information he has given you.

    ***

    A. You head to the dam, alone. No point taking the king's men with you if it is a wild goose chase - he already has reasons to be suspicious enough as it is. Of course, you do send Rimush's head back to the king with your compliments. Judging from the distance, if everything goes well you can make it back before the king notices you are missing.

    B. You return to the king with Rimush's head, though you do not tell him about the trap. Knowing the king, he will march into the city, and you will be there with him. Rimush was probably lying anyway.

    C. You return to the king and tell him about the trap. You allow the king to decide what to do with the information that has been given. You will follow his orders when he gives them.

    D. You toss Rimush's head over the wall. Maybe it's not a bad idea to stop laying your life down for king and country. You walk into the wilderness.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,643
    Location:
    NZ
    C. I don't think we're in any condition to beat Shulgi without some backup.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Hmm tough call. I don't particularly like any of the choices. I'm leaning towards A, but we're already tired from the battle and we only have one hand. I don't think Rimush is lying, intentionally or not. What would Shulgi gain by Sargon and/or some soldiers heading to the dam? All it would do is buy him some time, perhaps to escape. So I don't want to walk into the trap with B. I'm also disinclined to inform the king and keep following his orders. I no longer trust him. D is the safe option, but I really want to kill Shulgi. Based on our own experiences with regeneration we know that simply cutting off his head or stabbing him in the heart won't be sufficient. Ean can reasonably be expected to take measures that will set Shulgi's development back a decent amount of time (cremating maybe?).

    I guess I'll go with A, with the thought that hopefully we can see how things look and have another chance to turn back before committing ourselves. I could definitely be persuaded though.

    B
     
    ^ Top  
  17. XenomorphII Prophet

    XenomorphII
    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,114
    A

    Though D may be the smartest thing to do.

    EDIT: Switch to B.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,822
    We've got a bunch of arrows poking through our body and our hand is still a stump for the time being. I don't think we're in a position to do battle with a camp full of cultists and an immortal on our own. If we were all healed up, we'd be unstoppable, but I'm not liking our chances at the moment. Fuck the King - let Shulgi have the city if he wants it so bad. We are immortal and we have all the time in the world to get it back.

    Also, I think that Rimush's story is a ruse. He wasn't lying, but I do think that Shulgi has been using him as a pawn in his schemes. Look at from his point of view: the only individual who presents a serious obstacle to his plans is Ean - the King, the army, all that stuff doesn't matter. This is all about us and getting Ean in a position where he's vulnerable. Forget Sargon, the dude is mortal and only of minor importance to Shulgi.

    That being said, A is definitely the most heroic and honorable choice. Saving the city from a terrible flood and saving thousands of people would be pretty nice.

    Flopped to C
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    I'm voting D. Get outta there, whore and drink it up for a bit, learn the lay of the land, keep tabs on the other two Immortals, become a true, refined, monocled KKK gentleman and turn up when Romulus and Remus found the city of Rome, or when Athens rise. Whatever works. Oh, and practice shape shifting and our mind control powers. Don't forget to keep tabs.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    Tigranes
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    9,443
    I doubt we can take on Shulgi himself in our current state, yes. And if Rimush is such a spineless bastard as we've just seen, surely Shulgi knows this too - and knew about the risk of him spilling everything. So it seems we are in a difficult position here.

    No vote yet...
     
    ^ Top  
  22. newcomer Learned

    newcomer
    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Messages:
    919
    I don't see we can pull this out without anyone's help. The king might have enough scouts to examine the dam...

    C for now. Open to persuasion for D only

    FINE! FUCK IT! D
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    How's our physical condition treave? The way I read the second last update, our wounds were already closing and we were feeling less exhausted. I get the feeling that Shulgi was feeding us this information in order to delay our advance as well as lure us personally into a trap.

    Edit:
    Let's be big damn heroes...

    Edit 2: Fuckit B, unless it looks like A is winning, then change me to A
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Curufinwe Learned

    Curufinwe
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2012
    Messages:
    271
    Location:
    Italy
    D

    For the same reasons I voted the fuckit option and will keep voting it whenever it appears. :D
     
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    The trek to the dam will be less strenous than combat, so your physical wounds should be pretty much healed by the time you get there. Your hand, and your mental exhaustion is another matter though.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.