Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Or twenty. And have that new master scatter them across Holy Terra. Where they will proceed to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and bring regions under their bootheel for easier assimilation.

^ Top  
  2. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    Then they proceed to rape & mindrape both immortals and gieloth (including the so-called celibate Greek goddesses), and using mind control and proper child education curriculum, build the Shin'Ari Empire and works to prevent armageddon from masters.
    And thus we have the Eyeless White and cannibal children :incline:

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave: I believe this is an old question, Esquilax asked it if memory serves, but had we chosen to play as Naram/Shulgi, how would Ean have ended up as a character? What plans did you have in store for him as an NPC?

^ Top  
  4. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Lol yea why isn't Ean hooked up to gieloth.roofles.hackz

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    My thanks to TOME for the counting.

Chapter 6.10: Lodestone and the Rift

Construction of the new capital – named by your scholars in another astonishing lack of creative thinking as Egalme in the old Akkadian language – proceeded smoothly, as the workmen expanded on the bustling town that had already sprung up there a few years after the roads were built. Though it produced little goods of its own, the town was sited at the nexus for several major trade routes throughout the empire and beyond. Egalme became a splendid city over the decades, serving as the center for administration and trade throughout the empire. As you had accepted their proposal, both Nabukudzur and Akilptah were pleased. Despite that, you stayed above whatever politics they had planned – not a hard thing to do with your network of informants – and they soon gave up their attempts to manipulate you via the consorts you had taken. As for the consorts, no fruit was born of your unions, though it was not for lack of trying.

In the meantime, Terasphagos activity continued to decrease as the empire neared its fiftieth year in existence. Unfortunately, the drop in their activity seemed to coincide with an increase in the expansion of the miasma. The rate at which it grew became faster as the years went by, and mapping efforts were greatly hindered. Even with the use of the filters, normal humans could not stay in the miasma for long. There had been no way to contain the miasma – it and the Terasphagos were entirely alien to the immortals and even the Gieloth, who had no record of anything like it in their many thousand years of wandering.

Soon after the empire turned fifty, Terasphagos raids began to increase again. Interestingly, your scholars found that this corresponded to a decline in a rate of the miasma’s expansion. It was clear that there was a pattern related to the miasma and Terasphagos activity. You stepped up the patrols again in response. In the next five years, the records were conclusive enough that Sekhenun warned you of the possibility of another incursion in twenty years’ time. Though it was still a long way to come, preparations began early. You strengthened your fortifications. Under your orders, priests began preaching of the danger of these ravenous monsters, reminding them that it was only through your divine grace and the arms of their fellow citizens that the empire was being kept safe. It appears that your men might have done too good a job of keeping the monsters at bay, as outside of Greece, few were concerned. Many of the populace had never seen one with their own eyes, and even those that had seen the displays of individual Terasphagos saw nothing more than a strange if aggressive animal that posed no threat under the watchful eyes of a dozen armed soldiers. Taken away from the miasma for a long time, the Terasphagos would weaken and eventually die, and it was only these that you could show in an attempt to demonstrate that the threat was real.

In the seventieth year of your rule, the northerners gave you an additional gift that year to commemorate your long partnership together. They had recently discovered iron that could attract other iron, a simple curiosity. Calling it lodestone, they had made two small pendants of it, and presented it to you. You immediately sent one of it for study. Barely a month later, one of your brighter scholars came to you and showed how it pointed always north, if left to hang freely in a horizontal position. The northerners had seemed unaware of its uses yet, instead treating it as a toy. You sent scouts out to search for areas where you could get more. This was just what you needed – the ability to orient yourself within the miasma.

They found a large deposit in a particularly dangerous location; one of the last strips of contested land between the miasma and your reclaimed territory, around Olympus. Terasphagos activity had been severe in the past few years, with bands of thousands roaming the area at any given time. They assaulted your fortifications in numbers that were less than the tens of thousands that had streamed out of the miasma nearly fifty years before, but still greater than any Terasphagos horde that the empire had ever recorded. Mapping activity had all but stopped, nearly a third of the way to the center of Olympus, as without a method of orientation there were too many roaming Terasphagos for safety lines and markers to do any good.

A. Sekhenun’s predicted time of incursion is just five years away. You have no time to lose – you have your own pendant fashioned into a form suitable for navigation, and venture into the miasma without the support of your army. The rift had to be found, even if you did not know how to close it.

B. You have your men fight to establish a base where the lodestone could be obtained. Securing a supply quickly would allow your men to keep their bearings almost everywhere. This would help greatly should there be a need to push the coming incursion back into the miasma.

C. You have your men continue to search for other places where you could get a supply of lodestone. There is no hurry – you will hold against the incoming incursion. If the theory holds true, as long as you manage to hold out, their activity would drop afterwards, allowing you to navigate in greater safety.

D. You order purchases of lodestone from the northerners, though they will certainly be curious about your sudden need for it. This will take time, but the supplies should arrive before the Terasphagos swarm from the rift in greater numbers.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Regarding the questions:

1) I currently have no plans for a immortal-Gieloth hybrid offspring. I'll think of something if it ever manages to get to that point.

2) Sekhenun could probably grow you an 'heir' but it would take quite some effort, and currently she's working on advancing the empire as a whole as well as researching the Terasphagos. It's going to take a lot of trial and error too.

3) The Gieloth network is long range. As most of the ones that matter are in China, they aren't using it much nowadays. What news you know is usually sourced from Artemis. If there is no news, there are no changes to the situation.

4) There are no tribes or kingdoms that can contest your supremacy of the Anatolian plains for now. The road network + the amount of soldiers you can bring to bear at a swift rate, not to mention the "superheroes", mean that there can be no meaningful resistance to the Empire for long.

5) Ean would've been a do-gooder, King Arthur-ish character according to his own will, but his personality could change depending on what you did to him. Just like Shulgi.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B. Allows us to maintain this tech advantage and gets us to work that much sooner.

^ Top  
  8. Kukulkan Learned

Kukulkan
    A

^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave, I'm curious about how effective the IG rush strategy from the previous update would have worked. It seems that it would have been rather futile. Probably better that we held back.

Anyways, on to the vote. I don't think we have time to fuck around here. I'm still contemplating between A or D. C sucks.

I'm not so sure about B. Forty years have passed since the previous update, meaning that we've managed to accumulate quite a bit of Northern steel over the years for our Olympus garrison. Assuming we haven't lost too many men within the miasma over the years, we should have enough equipment to outfit ~4,000 men. Unfortunately, we didn't go for praetorians and most of our men are still under-equipped, so I think we'd take a lot of losses here.

D might be the better option between the two. We have a great road network, so we would get the lodestone in time. Yeah, we'd risk giving up some tech, but we wouldn't have to waste any men before that. Plus, we'd be playing to our strengths given that we have some of the best merchants in the world:

I have a feeling that our merchants are so good that they could swindle the Northerners into giving away their lodestone for far less than it's actually worth. They might not even realize what we're actually using it for - they may just think it's a mindless distraction for wealthy, decadent Southerners. After we arrange the deal, we'd use our road network to get it back to Olympus before the incursion. All without losing a single man.

I understand that it isn't very bro, but it certainly seems a fuckload more effective than having to deal with another Terasphagos swarm after already having lost a ton of men in the previous assault. We would be at full-strength and well-equipped to deal with the Terasphagos. We might even be prepared enough to head off to China while Athena/Artemis deal with the incursion.

Off-topic, but I have a theory on the Terasphagos:

Interesting. Storyfag/CappenVarra stated that we were probably up against some sort of hivemind, and I'm inclined to agree. The miasma functions sort of like Zerg Creep, so I think that the "Queen" of these creatures has limits to her abilities; either she focuses on spreading the miasma further, or she focuses on breeding. Doing both at once is too taxing for her.

What I'm getting at is that after she's finished one phase of breeding, she's likely to be more vulnerable because she's going to be focused on spreading more miasma rather than creating more Terasphagos.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I agree with Esquilax . And make sure the merchants wear these lodestone pedants to convince the northeners that they are being used as accessories. And after their supply runs out, they'll buy it back in the form of a compass... at the right price of course..

D

^ Top  
  11. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Makes sense. I'm voting D.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Sending men in wouldn't have worked very well and would start to cause unrest if you combined it with building a new capital.

^ Top  
  13. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Not sure if we should rush to map the miasma before the incursion or just wait it out and continue then. Time is a factor here but I don't think B is going to work well. We are going to take losses and we can't afford to do so before the incursion. A is risky but tempting in the sense that if we could get a glimpse of the rift, we could plan an expedition while waiting to the incursion to happen.

D. I see no harm in trading except for the time loss. I might go for A, but I don't think it has a chance to win here.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    D. Too early for a heroic sacrifice, there's still China to deal with, and I'm not all that into throwing away lives IG style yet.

Something tells me this swarm will be the biggest we've seen yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    D. Was considering it even before I read Esquilax' persuasive arguments.

newcomer: we've got only two pendants now. Wouldn't make sense to outfit the merchants with them!

Re: hivemind. Quite possibly. The things we encountered don't even have digestive tracts, meaning all they eat is extracted by something else (and then apparently transferred into the miasma, which sustains them...). They're clearly mere drones in service of a higher creature.

^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    D. I'm worried that we have no clue about how to close the rift even if we got there, and nothing we see in the miasma itself seems to give any hints. We should get movign on it.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, treave, having Ean bring the last piece of Vajra and being in the presence of Marduk and Zeus with it made the Olympus Rift a forgone conclusion? By the way, anything noteworthy over the Gieloth Comms lately? Also, how close are we to the "Always watching, always right" territory?

Something tells me they finally evolved a Lictor. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the dear departed finally made a jail break. Or all of them. Having leveled up considerably.

P.S: after we deal with this shit, we'd better focus on increasing the Empire's culture, the lack of creativity doesn't sound all that good to me, shitty city names aside.

^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Treave just answered a similar question from me. Nothing new.

Why do you keep claiming that everyone lost in the explosion (implosion?) of Olympus is still alive? Quotes or it didn't happen. As far as I'm concerned Zeus, Marduk, Hera, Shamash and who-the-fuck was there during the big boom is dead. Ares arrived later, so he possibly might be alive.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That's pretty much a confirmation right there, and until treave tells me that he retconned/changed his mind, I'm holding to this.
    That was right after the Cataclysm update. "Anytime soon" is very subjective. It could be sixty years, it could be sixty thousand. Fact remains, they're coming out. Now, I remember a Shamash, Ares and Hera confirm, but can't (be arsed to) find it.

Ooh, treave, are the Spartans throwing their children into Olympus yet?
    And about my paranoia: I'm just trying figure shit out before it fucks us over (the Masters' and Immortals' loyalties and motivations, the nature of the Terrasphagos, the Gieloth and the hunger and why it permeates every powerful being except the Immortals?), so we can fuck everyone else over before then.

Edit: I have a lot of theories on the Masters and something gives me the feeling that they're not screwing around with dimensions, but with time. Think about it, how else can the Voices know what is supposed/destined to happen?

^ Top  
  20. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    :notsureifserious:

It can be read as "they're fucking dead" with equal validity.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Meh. Semantics.
    I guess we'll see who's right this update or another.

^ Top  
  22. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    I mean for subsequent purchases (second, third, etc.). Our merchant can say that the EMPRAH looks cool wearing it & there's a boom of lodestone pedant

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No. I wonder why you would think that, when you guys know of at least two choices that would have stopped the rift; not distracting Zeus from destroying Marduk, and sacrificing yourself by allowing the Vajra to open a portal successfully.

Egalme is Akkadian for administrative center/palace, if I read it correctly. At any rate, Antioch won, but I saw no names proposed even though I did say:

So I had to put something in.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I remember those outcomes. I meant that if we followed with the plan of getting Marduk to Zeus so he could use the devourer and having Ean stand there would have ended the same. Or his decoy would have weakened Zeus enough for the devouring to succeed.

So, Spartans...around yet?

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If you hadn't zapped Marduk with Zeus's bolt, he wouldn't have been weakened badly, Zeus wouldn't have known immediately where the second piece was, and the fight would've gone differently.

Also Spartans don't exist yet.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.