Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flippin' the flippity flappin' flop to B

^ Top  
  2. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    They all seem equally silly. B in particular - what's a regenerating hand and some sparks going to impress against shadows in the walls and a dark, mysterious host on the horizon? A for now.

^ Top  
  3. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    That hand was cut off and it like came back. That's bound to impress someone.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Remember, it's the ancient and religious times. People still believe in gods. The veterans still remember our sacrificed hand. If we posit ourselves as blessed by the gods to stand against these demons, we'll boost their morale by a fair margin. At least, that's the intended idea. Much as I'd like to go all Blood for the Blood God, it's the most logical decision to make.

^ Top  
  5. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
    voting B.

^ Top  
  6. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This is metagamey, but I think that this choice will influence what new power we're going to get. A is probably going to allow us to sway emotions on some level, B is shooting lightning bolts and C is more physical/martial might. Then again, might not be the case. A is fitting for a leader of men, B is magical faggotry that I disdain, and C is the bro choice.

On a less metagamey level, I don't want everybody to suddenly start worshiping Ean as some sort of god the way people worship Shulgi. That's going to have some very dire consequences for us in the future - sure, it'll work in the short-term, but in the long term it could be trouble. I'd rather not go down that road, especially after we've already taken such a hard line in supressing Shulgi's cult. We're pretty much no better than Shulgi at that point, so I dislike the God route.

Ean knows how to lead soldiers, but remember that he has never been much of a speaker. Every time he's lead his men, it's been through action, not words. With our upgraded, horse-driven chariots, I'm hoping we can run these motherfuckers down.

We need to rally our men, and since half of them have already fought alongside us and know to trust us, this raising morale shouldn't be a problem for a great warrior and leader like Ean.

A

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Seems clear the egyptian army is primarily undead. This would account for them not moving quite human-like, and also why they could so quickly bolster their numbers. All the more reason to try and bolster morale, so the soldiers withstand the mindfuck of possibly facing off with long-lost brothers in arms.

A

^ Top  
  9. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  10. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    A

B is a bad option. Sparks and a regenerated hand that only the crustiest of our veterans recall are mean feats compared to the shadow creatures. If we want to impress the soldiers with our strange powers, we should go with our strength (caving in skulls) in C.

At the same time, I don't like that 'fuck tactics' in C, so I'm going with A. I'd switch to defeat B, though.

^ Top  
  11. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    Switching to A.

^ Top  
  12. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    For Akkad!

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A 8
    B 5
    C 1

Chapter 2.5: Battle Plans

You give your best shot at making a rallying speech; you shout, gesticulate, and roar. You pontificate on the glory of fighting back to back with a brother. You laugh off the lurching horde approaching you - surely they are no match for your disciplined warriors. They cheer, but the Akkadians cheer the most. The gist of your speech seemed lost on those from the client-states. It seems that they have come here out of fear of the Egyptians, not out of any loyalty to you or the Akkadian Empire. Still, with the Egyptians from the front and the shadows at the back, they appear to have no choice but to fight. You make your final battle plans.

You have:
    200 chariots, each crewed by 3 veterans equipped with spears, shields and bows.
    800 Akkadian spear-men, led by 200 veterans, divided into four phalanxes of 250 men each.
    400 composite bowmen, an equal mix of veterans and regulars.

The client-states have:
    1000 militia
    800 javelin auxiliaries
    500 bowmen
    500 spear-men
    50 chariots, crewed by 3 men each
    10 camel cavalry

The enemy's composition is still roughly unknown, but they do outnumber you, from what you can observe, though they have only about a hundred or so chariots between them.

1. Front-line Composition

A. The Akkadian army takes the front, with the client-states bringing up the rear. Your greater strength will break the Egyptian advance more easily, allowing the lesser-skilled client-state warriors to mop up.

B. The client-states do not seem to be as steady as your men - you put them in the front. Use them up and throw them away, rather than having them vanish on you once battle is joined.

C. You order the lines to be a mix of units. This should help boost morale for the client-state warriors, though the effectiveness of your own soldiers will be reduced by this.

2. Overall Strategy

A. You play it cautiously, holding your position and letting the enemy come to you while being shot at, using the superior range of your bows. You do not know the extent of their numbers and it would be folly to charge in.

B. You go on the offense - if the enemy traps you between them and the shadows on the Tuwanu walls, the situation would be grim. You have your chariots lead the vanguard of the assault, old-school Akkad style.

3. You...

A. CHARGE!!!!

B. Stay back, directing the battle best as you can. Given the capabilities of the enemy, you need to be able to react to situations as they develop, and you cannot do that in the thick of combat.

C. RUN!!!!! Into the desert you go, your nerves broken by the shadows and the horde.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    1.B - It may be a dick move, but it should give us a chance to react to whatever is coming at us.
    2.B - Getting pinned against the walls sounds bad and going on the offense, while risky, could ease the spirits of our troops some (ie they don't have to stand there and wait for it) and might not be what our enemy expects.
    3.B - We need to be ready in case of any surprises.

VOTE BBB

^ Top  
  15. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    C-The frontline must hold and we'll lose less men then in A.
    B-Avoiding being pushed towards the wall is paramount.
    B-Charging is going to get us injured and out of commission.
    EDIT: Changed my mind on the first.

^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    C - Putting the clients in front will likely just get them slaughtered and routed and I'm not sure I trust them enough as reserves.
    A - They likely outnumber us. Also, them "lurching" implies that they move slowly. Both are good reasons to soften them up with our ample ranged units. Additionally, I don't think a charge will break the morale of supernatural beings.
    A - I'm assuming this means we don't actually charge until the rest of our forces engage in melee (if not I swap to B). This is how we initially won over Sargon's men, by putting ourselves on the line for them. It will also improve morale against supernatural foes.

^ Top  
  17. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    CAA

^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    treave: I'm assuming that our client-state cannon fodder allies have not been blessed by the glorious military reforms that our soldiers have, so their equipment is outdated while our guys have the good stuff. Is that right?

The biggest problem with using up our city-state militiamen is that they can't be relied upon to hold a front line. You put a whole bunch of guys who are psychologically questionable and who have inferior gear to boot, and they'll be far more likely to rout or break. Their morale is low, and I don't want to risk them panicking and endangering the rest of our men that way. Based on the way the choice is written, I am assuming that if you pick 1B), then it would be the militiamen's chariots going on the offensive in 2B). Their chariot crews are green and they don't have a fraction of either the experience or the superior arms of our Akkadian bros.

Another thing, if we come out of this battle and it turns out that only the Akkadian soldiers survived, our city-states will be extremely pissed off. I'd much rather be able to take Egypt without having to deal with an internal shitstorm back home. Besides, given the choices we've made in the past, it would be very inconsistent to have Ean become so callous with the lives of the men under his command.

For now I'll go with:

C
    B
    A - Boost morale when the enemy comes within range

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yup. Donkey chariots. If you choose to go on the offensive the charge will be combined with your own chariots (all chariots go), but the client-states spearmen and militia will still be at the front of your formation while the rest of your men back them up from the rear.

^ Top  
  21. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    C - I don't want to piss off the client states by using them as cannon fodder nor do I wish our men to take disproportionate casualties
    A - Shock tactics are likely much less effective against a foe that doesn't have to worry about morale
    B - We need to be a mobile reserve and keep our men co-ordinated

Looks like we should have gone for the supernatural powers speech as well, as I imagined.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    C- Our own morale is the biggest issue here, our veterans faced demons before, they know how to hold their shit together and inside. Let them inspire the client-states.
    B- Not really about shock, more about practicality: if we're broken, our men have more room to regroup. Also, equally important, we're have a lesser chance to be backed against a wall.
    B- While this is about battlefield awareness, I'd recommend just the tiniest bit of heroics. Our men trust us, the client state militias never fought for us. Back the, generals sitting on their asses was bad form.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Treavebro, on an unrelated note, can Ian teach mortals his mind reading powers, at all?

I think it'time for some Inquisition.

^ Top  
  24. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Oh you guys and your metagaming powers bullshit. Oh well.

BBA

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.