Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    CCA

Why 2C? Because it is rumored that the madman is involved with sexual relationship with cephalopods, and I just can't handle my urges anymore :smug:

In summary: tentacle-hurr-durr :mhd:

^ Top  
  2. Arpad Educated

Arpad
    CCA

The unpredictable nature of that madman would probably give a better edge for us than an orderly soldier would.

^ Top  
  3. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    BBA

Edit: If 3A means that Aodh can't read our mind (so easily), them my vote goes to ABA.

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    ABA

Knowledge is power, what they know, we want to know. Starting on our own telepathy will help in these matters.
    Then we need to seek out the warrior-type Ean shard and have him support us. If possible. :M

Was flopped by clever arguments, my vote is now

CCA

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, the way it's worded, 1A doesn't mean we're going to waste time snooping around. It means we're interrigating our watchers on info and that's that.Don't know where you bros are getting the impression that we have to pursue Aodh for it.

^ Top  
  6. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    I am not voting yet, but I'd just like to say

"oh, hallo Tony"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Leaning towards CBA, but I might go ABA.

1C vs. A. As Tome says, if telepathy gives us psychic shielding then I'd go A, but if not then C until we can get a better handle on Aodh.
    2B only because I think the soldier is more likely to be influenced. I'll agree the madman has merits, but I think he'll be extremely difficult to control and may fail us at a critical moment.
    3A is obvious to me. We're a schemer and telepathy will help that tremendously. B or C is going against type.

^ Top  
  8. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Interesting theory. Well, if you want to manipulate the Soldier, you'd have to pretty much do it the same way we manipulated Runikylos: by having Dio present himself as a good guy. I'd also like to note that while he might be predictable and easily pliable at the moment, that won't always be the case. We need to constantly control information so that we can keep him under our thumb.

It's just occurred to me that if we get our Watchers to divulge their plans and invest in telepathy at the same time, there's a net benefit. If Aodh ends up touching Dio, yes, it'll reveal our plans - but he'll also end up revealing his plans due to our own telepathy, leaving us both on a level playing field. Sure, it's not ideal, and you'd always rather know more about your enemy than he does about you, but at least we'd have some insurance.

The problem with 1C is that it leaves us in the dark and without much knowledge, and therefore, ability to plot and scheme to our fullest extent. Part of the reason why I wanted to initially go for the madman as an ally is because it would completely blindside Aodh, and it seems that the madman has the most knowledge about the current circumstances, even if he sees it through his own demented filter. Because of this, I feel that 1C synergises best with 2C, while 1A works best with 2B.

^ Top  
  9. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    Adoh is a mind reader there would be no trouble for him to swipe the info from us

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Low level telepathy can't reveal everything you know unless they dredge it from you by using leading questions while in physical contact. Emotions can be read easily enough, but not full thoughts. Even then there are ways to overcome it via mental discipline, or self suggestion hypnosis.

^ Top  
  11. AAA
    Our main goal should be bringing Ean back - or at least becoming the new Ean. For that we need information. (Whether we get it from the watcher or from some other source, Aodh will probably be able to get it out of either us or someone else.)

A possibility is that Aodh might actually be an ally in bringing Ean back. Aodh's main objective right now seems to be protecting the prince... After all, he backed off once he found out we didn't intend the prince harm... Maybe we could present ourselves as an ally to him and work with him to defend the prince....

A3 will help us learn psychic powers to defend agaisnt mind reading.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Treave, does Dio know or at least have vague ideas about Aodh's telepathic abilities now? Would this suspicion be enhanced by developing telepathy of his own? I'm trying to get a sense for how prepared he will be for future mindreading attempts by Aodh, such as avoiding physical contact or the methods you mentioned.

^ Top  
  13. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Something I just remembered. Does Runikylos know Aodh is at least partly immortal? How else does he know about the fall, but is unfazed by Aodh's survival? I'm assuming this test is referring to the confrontation on the parapet, not the Watcher who visited us to plan the assassination.

And wow, Runikylos is either super clever or super naive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Runi might have powers as well for all we know. :troll:

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No idea about telepathy, but his Watchers can brief him if you go A/B for the first, or A in the second choice.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    'Sup, Shulgi?

Now that you mention it, though, we'd better be on our guard with him. Nobody can be that stupid.
    He's up to something.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, this might be meta and a stretch, but does Runikylos look anything like Marduk's human form?
    It wouldn't be inconsistent with his MO of usurping Ean's legend and wanting to possess his body.

^ Top  
  18. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Shouldn't we know what he is up to and what he knows?

Or then there is a inner circle inside the inner circle.

^ Top  
  19. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    This... this sounds like something Palpatine would have done.

:salute:

A - I hate playing blind.
    B - PR. PR is gold.
    A - here comes Tony! Or Shulgi.

^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I think the problem with xCx is that the madman is too hard to factor into our plans, he's just too unstable to control, or to manipulate into doing our bidding. That makes him a foil to us as much as an ally, which I don't consider very useful. Far better to have the warrior on our side and manipulate him against the others, Aodh might do so otherwise. Now that I consider it I also think that Axx might be a mistake without AAx to counter Aodh. Far better to know the general gist of the plan rather than giving off emotions to Aodh when something occurs involving our Watchers.

Also, Shulgi conspiracy! When the old Emperor dies his heir is killed and replaced by Shulgi on the day of his ascension, that's how our empire has managed to remain so large and successful despite our long absence.

^ Top  
  21. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Putting in my vote for ABA.

^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Perhaps you're right. However, I could see lots of benefits to using the madman. For example, right now there's a lot of internal turmoil within the Empire. If we secretly aid the madman and help him here and there, that means that the various Watcher factions will be focusing their attention on dealing with him rather than worrying about our manipulations. There's a lot of opportunity for cunning misdirection, I feel.

However, I don't really think that 1A is a bright idea in conjunction with 2B/1A. We would be able to root out the truth via telepathy in due time, and I'd rather not leak anything to Aodh without having done our homework on him first. 1B might be okay because it means that we will at least know enough so as to not foil our own plans, but I think that 1A gives way too much away. The slight amount of information that we might leak with 1B is stuff that Aodh would probably know at this point anyways.

I really think that we ought to strike a balance here - we need to know enough so that we have enough information to base our decisions on, but at the same time, I believe that knowing too much is a liability around Aodh.

BBA/BCA is the right call here, and I think you guys should flop to that. It seems to be the most cohesive plan of the bunch. 1B would allow us to have just enough information for our plans, 2B gives us muscle to shore up our martial weaknesses (as well as deal with any traitors within our own faction after we sacrificed two pawns), and 3A would allow us to learn and discover things around us faster - telepathy is just about the best skill you could have in dealing with the court intrigue.

Edit: Boom, right here. I have a plan in favour of the madman:

Now, during this raid, the Imperial Army's Watchers gave advance warning, so there was a mix of Watchers from many various factions who died. Everybody knew it was coming, which is why the secret Watcher war remains at a stalemate. A bunch of people from various factions died, but no ground was gained by anyone.

However, let's say we work with the madman - I believe we could carry out something on the scale of the Night of the Long Knives. So let's say that the madman attacks again, under our "guidance"... except this time, only our people know he's coming. We could use the confusion of a siege to wipe out most of our political enemies in one fell swoop.

That being said, I guess I'm okay with an alliance with the Soldier since it's lower risk. Nevertheless, I do think that a cunning individual like Dio could really make use of the madman, as unpredictable as he is.

^ Top  
  23. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    I have been swayed by the arguments over powers and agree on Esquilax's veiw

to BBA

from BBC

^ Top  
  24. Quick note: Picking A1 without A2 is a pretty bad idea imho. Aodh is a major threat and not someone to be ignored or treated lightly. I think the previous update proved that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Of course, there is another way to do this- ACC. In other words, fuck Dio, time to find out what's going on and reassemble Ean.

A1 allows us insight into Imperial intrigue and this faction bullshit.
    C2 gets us in contact with the local augur, purveyor of arcane knowledge and No.1 Sekhenun fan.
    C3 covers up our weakness in close combat, which will not be compensated by anyone else, provides Dio with a combat form for which he has an instruction manual, in the form of Ean's memories, with telekinesis+cqc and covers us in case we get captured/backed into a corner by Aodh.
    Input?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.