Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Tigranes

Arcane
Well. Not bad. Not bad at all. I expect the Watchers will still be very butthurt about this, but given the faction wars going on, it's guaranteed that (1) at least some of themw ill be out to get us sooner or later; (2) at least some of them will be loyal to us, if we play the cards right. It will behoove us to know more about the various factions and ensure we build a loyal core. After all, they'll be very useful for information-gathering purposes.

The whole information choice thing is going to become interesting now - Aodh can quite naturally touch us at any time and we need to make sure we never know too much, which will be tricky. And the experience with pushing him off shows that none of the Eans are going to be killed off so easily, including us. So we need to get into this palace intrigue for the long run, and build up our own power base and list of powers. No votes yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
So, I'm finally back in the saddle, eh? About time my head got out of my ass.
It also seems like I gave the Watchers too much credit: they weren' really malignant, just stupid.
These options are very interesting.
treave: can we combine 1A and 3C?

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, I'm really regretting not getting the lightningpower up back at Tjaru.
i mean, we*'re basically Palpatine.
treave, I'm ashamed to even ask, but could we, um...well, you know...:oops:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It also seems like I gave the Watchers too much credit: they weren' really malignant, just stupid.

Or perhaps you're too important to their plans for them to drop you just because you murdered two of their own. Might want to watch your back later on. I don't get what you mean by 'combine'. You vote for the choices you want, as usual.

Treave, I'm ashamed to even ask, but could we, um...well, you know...:oops:

I have no idea what you want but my first instinct is to say no.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave: by combine, I mean use our psychic powers to make sure the Watcher is not lying/obfuscating the truth and get a general reading of his disposition/plans?

And the second thing: could we, perhaps, instead of fire, get...lightning :oops: Pretty please?

Esquilax

Arcane
After intimidating the Watcher and sipping his wine, Dio should have said "at last, the First Emperor removes cock from fucking ass!! Haha! The House of Camda... no, the House of Diogenes Camda, rises to the fucking heavens!"

Just like when we have multiple options in other votes, we need things to be cohesive. It's important to note that just because we made it through with the prince believing us doesn't mean that we're safe. There's danger lurking everywhere, and we've got to know what the fuck is going on here. Here's an attempt at a plan:

Watchers

C) We're taking a risk here by being blind, which is only partially rectified by investing in telepathy. However, I'm advocating avoiding Aodh entirely so that we can secure our power base. Yes, we need to take that motherfucker out, but I don't see that as our priority. Our priority is to (1) build up our power base, and (2) figure out what the fuck is going on. I think that B is a half-measure because it'll mean that we know just enough to give Aodh clues, but not enough to form long-term plans based on our knowledge. A is foolish if we're not opting to learn more about Aodh.

Allies

I'm torn between the Soldier and the Madman. The soldier is more reliable and predictable as an ally, but the madman seems to be the sort that a cunning individual like Dio could use against his enemies better provided he knows what he's doing. This is a man who strikes seemingly at random and who holds a lot of knowledge of what's really going on here, even if that knowledge happens to be fragmented in his own fucked up head. Why assault the capital at all? I think there's a method to his madness here. I see this is a higher risk, but higher reward option. Right now, I'm going to vote C, but I'm open to B.

treave, option B here says that making friends with the soldier would be beneficial to our public image. Has our image taken a hit after our brief arrest, or are we still considered relatively respectable?

Power Choice

A) This is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. I see the appeal in buffing up, I really do. Our own prowess is never going to fail us, and it's something that we can always rely on. However, as a quote in Thief II says, "reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak", which I think is apt, considering the manipulative nature of our character. What Dio needs is a pawn to use as a bodyguard, otherwise we'll be spreading ourselves thin. What's the use in using our own strength when we could be controlling everyone around us?

It would also make uncovering the plots and schemes in court far easier, as well as the underlying motivations of the various Watcher factions.

CBA
Edit: I could also see a very compelling argument being made for AAC.

oscar

Arcane
BBA

The soldier would make a great choice, with him serving as the brawn and face with us as the brains behind things. We are mutually beneficial to each other (we can give him wealth, power and the ear of higher ups while he gives us respectability and a warrior ally). In regards to our power I'm open though. All our plans and cunning are of little use if someone walks in and stabs us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, option B here says that making friends with the soldier would be beneficial to our public image. Has our image taken a hit after our brief arrest, or are we still considered relatively respectable?

Prince: Everyone, the whole murder play was just a silly game. Nothing to see here.

Everyone else: Oh haha, those wacky nobles.

treave: by combine, I mean use our psychic powers to make sure the Watcher is not lying/obfuscating the truth and get a general reading of his disposition/plans?

And the second thing: could we, perhaps, instead of fire, get...lightning :oops: Pretty please?

You could, and no, no lightning. Lightning is a higher tier power.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax, I'll hold off on the wall-o-texts, since I'm tired for today, but I'll say this, if we get 3C, we'll be in a good position to pick 1A, which is interrogating the Watcher in front of us and vetting him with our psychic powers. And the problem with that is not Aodh, but us letting the info loose to the wrong people.
And knowledge is power.
Assuming 3C is the best choice, seeing as this
In regards to our power I'm open though. All our plans and cunning are of little use if someone walks in and stabs us.
is a very valid point.
...Actually, full interrogation+soldier+mind reading sounds like a great idea, because they complement one another so well. Yeah, full info+bodyguard bud+mind reading for politics and intrigue.

P.S.: I wonder how long will it take Dio to warm up to RK?

Tigranes

Arcane
CBA

Esquilax I agree with you on the whole. There's a strong possibility Aodh planned the whole thing and then jumped in planning to kill us in the Prince's bedroom, but for now I don't think it's wise to be so tunnel-vision and go after him. That means 1C. I do think the soldier is ripe for manipulation though - if we're lucky he will be the type that won't fully understand what's going on in intrigue, and we can become a benefactor. Once we get him on our side by approaching him first, like Runikylos, he will be predisposed to see others' denunciations of us as jealousy or conspiracy. I also think it's worth building up our public image, so that we have more scope to leverage other nobles and things without being so tied to the watchers or the Prince.

Finally, 3A seems the most sensible, we can match Aodh and also strengthen our own game.

Baltika9 you realise mind reading is 3A.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BBA
As much as I'd like to choose it, I think AAX would be a horrible choice. It implies spending more time with Aodh while being far more aware of the plot than we should. I'm simply guessing but I think mind-reading powers would help to make us more defensive against Aodh's own. That and the obvious edge we'd gain in political intrigue. If we manage to get the warrior onside with us also, then we won't have to focus so much on the martial sphere. He'd be easy to control too with our mind-reading, it'll give us sufficient warning should he ever decide to turn on us.

oscar

Arcane
Well the soldier is probably the most similar to the original Ean who developed his own resistance to mind control and being probed so I wouldn't count on being able to turn him into our little pawn. But he could be a useful ally. How useful probably depends on his pragmatism vs idealism and us having resources he needs.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh yes, I agree. I just meant that mind-reading would serve as an early warning device with him should he get ideas of autonomy or backstabbing in his head.

Amass our coterie:
blackadder.jpg

newcomer

Learned
CCA

Why 2C? Because it is rumored that the madman is involved with sexual relationship with cephalopods, and I just can't handle my urges anymore :smug:

In summary: tentacle-hurr-durr :mhd:

Arpad

Educated
CCA

The unpredictable nature of that madman would probably give a better edge for us than an orderly soldier would.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
BBA

Edit: If 3A means that Aodh can't read our mind (so easily), them my vote goes to ABA.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ABA

Knowledge is power, what they know, we want to know. Starting on our own telepathy will help in these matters.
Then we need to seek out the warrior-type Ean shard and have him support us. If possible. :M

Was flopped by clever arguments, my vote is now

CCA

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, the way it's worded, 1A doesn't mean we're going to waste time snooping around. It means we're interrigating our watchers on info and that's that.Don't know where you bros are getting the impression that we have to pursue Aodh for it.

ScubaV

Prophet
Leaning towards CBA, but I might go ABA.

1C vs. A. As Tome says, if telepathy gives us psychic shielding then I'd go A, but if not then C until we can get a better handle on Aodh.
2B only because I think the soldier is more likely to be influenced. I'll agree the madman has merits, but I think he'll be extremely difficult to control and may fail us at a critical moment.
3A is obvious to me. We're a schemer and telepathy will help that tremendously. B or C is going against type.

Esquilax

Arcane
Well the soldier is probably the most similar to the original Ean who developed his own resistance to mind control and being probed so I wouldn't count on being able to turn him into our little pawn. But he could be a useful ally. How useful probably depends on his pragmatism vs idealism and us having resources he needs.

Interesting theory. Well, if you want to manipulate the Soldier, you'd have to pretty much do it the same way we manipulated Runikylos: by having Dio present himself as a good guy. I'd also like to note that while he might be predictable and easily pliable at the moment, that won't always be the case. We need to constantly control information so that we can keep him under our thumb.

It's just occurred to me that if we get our Watchers to divulge their plans and invest in telepathy at the same time, there's a net benefit. If Aodh ends up touching Dio, yes, it'll reveal our plans - but he'll also end up revealing his plans due to our own telepathy, leaving us both on a level playing field. Sure, it's not ideal, and you'd always rather know more about your enemy than he does about you, but at least we'd have some insurance.

The problem with 1C is that it leaves us in the dark and without much knowledge, and therefore, ability to plot and scheme to our fullest extent. Part of the reason why I wanted to initially go for the madman as an ally is because it would completely blindside Aodh, and it seems that the madman has the most knowledge about the current circumstances, even if he sees it through his own demented filter. Because of this, I feel that 1C synergises best with 2C, while 1A works best with 2B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom