Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :deadhorse:Yes, they are well entrenched and fortified, but consider this: Naram will know Ean wakes up sooner or later anyways, striking now will let us do it before he can move to block us. And assassinations aren't the only opportunities I meant: we can also undermine their power structures or infiltrate them (as you say, pyschic blank ftw) or act on opportunities as they arise. Risky, yes, but worth it, considering the ones we have now are "glorified bandits" and "food for the homeless." Also, who said I want to kill Dagrun and/or Shulgi? Those two are our most reliable chances for allies (which is why we should be contacting ASAP, but I'm getting ahead of myself)
    That still makes it a morally fucked-up thing to do. If you want to keep Ean's morality intact, then that's not the way. Not to mention that absorbing them may lead to Ean having split personalities, a-la Tzeentch...

...now that I think about it, though, that does sound good. I guess I win either way:incline:
    Edit: also, Dio isn't stronger than Ean. He's close, but without the Sekblade he's nothing in terms of personal power.

^ Top  
  2. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Yes, He knows we're away, but not where exactly we are or what we are doing. Plus, he's far away right now. We're not worth him traveling all the way out here himself. But if we were closer... And it's not just about keeping our distance. We need to build up our knowledge of this world, while also strengthing ourselves and gaining new allies - allies like the Yellowstreaks.
    Dagrun is insane, so I think he'd make a rather risky ally (edit: not that I'm saying we shouldn't reach out eventually - just that he's not the sinch for an ally you're making him out to be). And as for Fenrir/Shulgi(?) - well, don't you think we'd be able to make a more tempting offer to him if we had some power and allies of our own to bring to the table?
    Maybe, or maybe he's grown in the last ten years. Maybe the Sek blade was formed especially to kill us. And even if he's still weak, we have no idea what kind of backup will be supporting him. He's at the heart of the empire. An empire controlled by Naram, who controls most of the immortals on earth. We have no idea how many immortals we might face if we reveal ourselves on his turf.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Indeed we do, and traveling into the heart of the Empire will provide that knowledge for us, significantly more knowledge, in fact, than if we stay in Gallia-Britannia, which is as far removed from the places of power and intrigue as can be without moving to the Americas, for a significant risk, of course, which will be worth it.
    Yes we would, and twenty semi-leveled successors are about the worst deal we can offer him. We need power, yes, personal power, something that this bunch will not be able to easily provide without us jumping through many hoops (especially if you want to devour them and are going for B right now, pacifists will not eat people, much less cities, without us forcing them to do it), so what we need to do for that personal power is to look for it elsewhere.
    If he's grown in the last few years, the worst thing we can do is leave him alone to grow even more. If the Sekblade really is made to kill Ean, then the worst thing we can do is leave him alone with it. If he has backup, the worst thing we can do is let him build it up more. We are in a decent position to make a bold move, exclusively because he hasn't noticed the hunger yet and hence isn't prepared for Ean. And considering that Sek is an, ahem, "walking" encyclopedia on all things Ean, letting him prepare for us will lead to a trainwreck, and not the fun kind.

^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This won't work. It looks like the majority has decided to keep our group as a peace organization, so you can't really encourage our guys to just go out and cleanse an entire city. However, our enemies will be more than willing to indulge in these tactics, and soon, which is all the more reason to go South in search of other opportunities. We have to put ourselves in the best possible position before the battle begins. If we keep going with these guys (though why on Earth would you do such a thing) then our best bet will be earning lots of goodwill with the people and potentially having lots of recruits and loyal soldiers on our side.

Yes, most of the Successors are already spoken for, but nevertheless, Ean is the True Emperor, and that means something. There are dozens of people claiming to be Ean, but we're the real deal, and not only that - we can prove it. We chose not to reveal our divinity to the Lady, but that doesn't mean we can't reveal ourselves to someone else who might be willing. I am also willing to bet that many people decided to speak for the Empire not out of any great loyalty to Dio, but rather because they don't want to end up being hunted down like the Yellowstreaks.

You've asked me and Baltika "why go south?" My question to you is, "why stay here?" What do you see in the Yellowstreaks? What qualities in them are there that will allow a limp-wristed, desperate pacifist force to go toe-to-toe with the Empire and Skane?

Dio may have parlayed his success in Rus into divinity, but our name and our hunger mean something to our progeny. When it comes time to reveal ourselves, will they follow the true First Emperor whom they are the children of, or merely another sibling of theirs?

Nobody is saying that we're going to head off into a suicidal one-man raid into Ankida, that's insane. This coming war will take time, and it will be costly and bloody. What I am saying though, is that the current opportunities are weak and that I don't see much potential in hanging around with these losers, no matter what we do with them. The Yellowstreaks are worthless and even with our backing, are nowhere near the Empire or Skane in terms of power. If they ally with the Martyrs, then perhaps that puts them roughly even with Skane, but really - they don't have potential.

War has not yet started, and the hunger hasn't yet caused a tremendous amount of chaos, and our current opportunities are somewhat lacking - now is precisely the time to strike out on our own and try to find others who might be receptive to following us.

^ Top  
  5. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    The 'Streaks Hospitaller provide a fairly good cover story for Ean while he DEVOURS SOULS and generally involves himself in the struggle. Until he's ready to reveal himself as the returned God-Emperor, he can don a Zorro mask and pose as an unusually powerful Yellowstreak.

I've read Baltika and Esquilax's arguments, but at this point, the opportunity cost of sticking with the Yellowstreaks seems small. We can take them with us, albeit with some attrition, into most every plan we could realistically pursue solo. Perhaps there'll be some conflict between the Yellowstreaks and some future new opportunity, but why not deal with that choice once it arises, rather than preemptively turning away resources that plopped into our lap? If we want to get picked up by Dio or Dagrun, isn't leading a band of psychic mercenaries a pretty good way of doing that?

The other problem with abandoning them is that, once the hunger kicks in, Dio and Dagrun may regard twenty undefended successors as a pile of power-ups waiting to be claimed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    This. We can't abandon them and give the opportunity of devouring them to someone else. But we can't stay in Gallia-Britannia for long either. We need to reel in as many Successor as we can before others realize the hunger. Once they do, there will be a few who will start devouring others for power. Dagrun will be among the first since Fenrir is aiding him.

My suggestion is that we take the Yellowstreaks with us and go to Skane to stop Dagrun, either by devouring him or by alianiting him with other Successors. And no, I'm not too worried about traveling with such a large party since Ean's telepathy should allow us to avoid any unwanted attention.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Which is why I want to combine them with Joan's group.
    Only that DEVOUR SOUL will not work well with B: I doubt the Yellowstreaks will agree with it if we make them more "moral," hell, I doubt they will easily agree to it with A. And another thing, wantonly eating people has never been Ean's MO, we avoided it because of corruption and have built up a character that relies on abstinence and "purity" as a result. I'm not convinced that flopping on that choice is a Good Idea, since willpower is one of Ean's greater strengths and, as we know, indulging in the hunger decreases said strength.
    Because why go looking for trouble in the first place, especially in our situation: Ean is the underpowered underdog, trying to save a world going down the shitter.

^ Top  
  8. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This makes a lot of sense. A compelling reason to stick with the 'Streaks is to prevent them from getting chewed up (literally) by Dio and Dagrun's forces. However, I'd like to point out that I was never really into leaving them out in the cold completely - they can still be very useful. I was always in favour of having them join the Martyrs until we return to lead them again.

It's not Dagrun I'm worried about, it's the guy behind him. I'd like to point out that I never suggested we go on a one-man raid to destroy one of the factions before the war begins, we have neither the personal power nor the resources to do something like that. All I've been saying is that I don't see much potential in them, and that I'd rather seek opportunities and potential allies elsewhere. I don't like the idea of ditching them completely and I'd like to hedge our bets a little, which is why I suggested using our clout to encourage them to ally with the Lady of Martyrs until we return to lead them once again.

treave, I've set up a tally:

Esquilax: C - alliance w/ Martyrs
    Baltika9: C - alliance w/ Martyrs
    GreyViper: B
    Lambchop19: B
    Kipeci: B
    Arpad: A
    oscar: C - Dario as assistant (I think? Is this still what you're going for, oscar? )
    Omicron: B
    Tigranes: C - go south with all the Yellowstreaks
    TOME: I'm not sure about this one. TOME, do you want B or to go to Skane with our Yellowstreak buddies?
    Kayerts, I'm assuming you're voting A based on your post, correct?
    Storyfag: C - alliance w/ Martyrs

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    You managed to miss my vote:

^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Many already are itching to join the fight. The hunger will get the rest in a fighting mood. Eating another human has a way of making you a bit less pacifistic.
    Oh, yeah. When guy number 101 shows up and starts claiming he's the true emperor too, I'm sure all the successors will just forget about the god-like tyrants that are their current masters and bow down at our feet. o_O Remember Marduk? Remember how we couldn't just waltz in and claim to be Marduk even though we were the real Marduk? Same thing. Just because we might have been able to get the lady to believe us doesn't mean we can convince the world. What are we going to do - run around cutting off our hands in front of large audiences like some bizarre circus act? When everyone has superpowers and claims to be Ean - including Dagrun who can regrow limbs and practically raise the dead - things get a little confusing for the people who serve them and they'll just side with the evil they know.
    Um, let's see... They have powers similar to our own. Their power will increase with feeding. Some of them at least are in favor of joining the fight - that number will doubtless increase when the hunger manifests. They already are sworn to follow our orders. They may not seem like much right now, but with training, feeding, and and a small amount of brainwashing from us, they have the potential to be fairly powerful. Moreso than mere humans at the very least - which is about our only other option for raising an army at this point (unless you were planning on joining up with one of the pretenders or the gieloth...?).

I think your negative opinion of the Yellowstreaks is coloring your view on their potential, E. You speak of them as limp-wristed cowards when they've already risked their lives just to wake us up. They may be on the weak side for now, but they're still superior to ordinary humans in terms of potential.

Who? Dagrun? Shulgi? You've given me maybe two. We don't know that they'd join us - especially when we have nothing to offer. I stay we build up the Yellowstreaks and play the Lady until we have the capacity to absorb her and take over her organization. Then we offer to team up with those down south. To leave and start trying to bargain our way into the game now would be putting the cart before the horse and it would mean turning down a definite opportunity just because it doesn't offer the instant gratification we seek.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Lambchop19: I think you misunderstand. It's not about pressing the "awesum buttan," not at all. This isn't about seeking gratification, but maximizing opportunities. Right now, i'm of the opinion that maximizing Ean's anonymity to do some advanced recon/dickery/forge alliances/whatever works best in the places of power will be better spent than babysitting the green Yellowstreaks.

^ Top  
  12. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Skane with Yellowstreaks. But if treave wants to revert back to ABC-choices, then B.

^ Top  
  13. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
    I initially thought the direction of the group would be decided in the next update, if this is not the case I'd like to flip to going to Skane with the Yellowstreaks.

^ Top  
  14. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Alright, thanks for the tally, Esquilax. Looks like nothing is settled yet. Once a decision is made I can make an update accordingly. :lol:

The original C would have had Ean leaving them without giving them a direction, that was the whole point. I'm fine with alternatives at this point in the story though. Looks like there is a slight majority of people in favour of a variant of C i.e. anything that is not A or B.

I'll say this though, neither A or B imply in any way that you'll be sticking around in the boondocks (unless you really want to). Remember, they were helping people caught up in the fighting, meaning that their usual regions of activity are much, much closer to the borders between various kingdoms.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, this vote can be summarized as "everything was fine until Baltika9 came along." :smug:
    Speaking of tallies, here's one for the Christmas Special:
    A- 1
    Smashing Axe,
    B- 3
    Baltika9, Omicron, Lambchop19,
    C- 5
    GreyViper, TOME, Tigranes, Esquilax,, Kipeci

Feel free to thank me later.:troll:

Edit: added Kipeci.

^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Which was the Christmas Special option that had us go with Athena? I'm going for that one.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Huh, I thought the Christmas special was a tie so I didn't bother updating. But Christmas is over. :(

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Continue the celebrations, old chap.
    [​IMG]

No more celebrations? ...most uncapital!

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Celebrate Christmas with a continued special? Next year it is, then. :salute:

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    To:rpgcodex:or not to:rpgcodex:, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous :troll:
    Or to take arms against...oh just write the damn thing.

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    False! Well, probably true for most here, but Orthodox Christmas won't come for around ten days or so.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That's next year. :troll:

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    I never fail to get tricked like that this time of year.:oops:

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, treave, I really want, need, to know: does Ean have a Successor named Temujin? Or at least someone keeping with the theme?
    Edit: also, this has been torturing me for a long time. Why did Marduk do what he did? What motivated him? Was it this sentiment

or something more?

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You want Mongols, you gotta go to Mongolia. As for Marduk, it was partly because he was horribly infected with the human desire for glory and overlordship and statues everywhere. Millennia of hiding out amongst humans changed a good number of the Gieloth population back then.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.