Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't get why you guys wanted to go B2 instead of B1. We could have used our powers of perception for a safe getaway while hiding the tentacles.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Capture

Track 9

I'll just have to make it to the stairs. Once I'm inside the building they should stop their pursuit. Julius picked this place and time because he probably didn't want to attract too much attention. His hand was still firmly grabbing my collar, but he isn't that strong. I should be able to do this.

Thinking that, I give Julius a sudden shove. He stumbles back in surprise, his fingers loosening their grip. Had he really thought I would just stand here petrified, waiting for his pets to take me? I use the chance to run past him.

“F-fuck you!” howls Julius. “Get him! Now! Now!” His screams get more angry and desperate, but I am almost at the door. As my hand closes around the doorknob, a shadow falls over me, along with the putrid stench of rotting meat. One of Julius's monsters had clambered atop the entrance to the stairs. I had noticed too late. This one was some weird combination of ape and gigantic frog legs. Its powerful thigh muscles tense for a brief second, coiling up – and in an instant, it smashes me into the floor. I feel my bones reverberate from the impact. The beast screams an awful gurgling cry, a white worm bearing a single human eyeball slithering from its mouth as it does so. It whips around in the air before fixing its malevolent stare on me. I can hear Julius laughing in that peculiar manner of his.

“Uhihihihihihihi! Take him! Do it now!”

The monster complies; the white worm moves towards my mouth. I was pinned down by its strong limbs. Should I wait and bite at it, like I did last time? Probably not – I have another option. Increasing my perception now would not help much, but if I use my tendrils...

Though I have less fine control over their movement in this state, they rise to my command. The tendrils swarm out of my wrist, wrapping around the undead monster's furry arm. Then, they begin to suck away the warmth from its body. The creature rears back in agony, its purpose forgotten. The tendrils crumble before I can manage to kill it, but that is fine. Another swarm bursts forth, anchoring themselves tightly around the one-eyed worm. This time, the thing dies, its body shuddering in rapid convulsions.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the only monster I had to deal with. Before I could get to my feet, long, spindly fingers close around my throat and lift me up. My feet leave the ground and I kick helplessly at the air.

“Shit. This is fucked up!” curses Julius. “You're a Third Hierarch? What the fuck? How did you find us? You guys weren't supposed to know!”

I can't answer him, struggling to even breathe as the monster keeps its tight grip on my throat. Julius grimaces, an expression of worry on his rat-like face. “I thought Relius was making sure none of the Third Hierarchs came here. No matter. He'll want to speak with you personally. Take him alive, my dears.”

Struggling to focus, I finally manage to wrap my tendrils around the thing's bony wrist. It snarls and drops me immediately, pulling away. The thick black strings tear as the creature leaps away. Gasping for breath, I send more after it, but the creature manages to scuttle away on its long, spidery legs. I'm not fast enough to track it. Yet, before I can even think about heightening my senses, I'm slammed into the floor. Then, I am lifted up and slammed into it again. Two more monsters had blindsided me, and I'm becoming fast friends with the floor of the rooftop, meeting it again and again in a short span of time.

There is a loud crack, and everything goes dark.

Track 15

My consciousness returns gradually. The first thing I feel are the aches and chills all over my body, and a sharp, throbbing pain at the back of my ankles. I appear to be suspended by my arms, which are tied up above me. My toes can touch the ground, but barely. I try to lower my body. A stinging pain shoots up both of my legs as I do so. My feet are limp, flopping beyond my control when I try to flex them. Did the bastard cut my Gursu's tendons?

It looks like running is out of the question. I should devote my time to something more useful than attempting to get my feet to work through sheer willpower. Cursing my poor judgement, I try to survey my surroundings.

The room I am in is dark and dank. A strong smell of medicinal alcohol permeates the place. Water is dripping in a rhythmic manner – I could tap my foot to the splashes... if I could tap my feet. The fading light of the sun filters in through some privacy windows set high up on the wall. It is still sunset. I'm probably somewhere on the academy grounds. Security must be terribly lax if Julius had managed to set up shop here; perhaps I should write some strongly worded letters to the administration and have Kyrie sign them. As my eyes regain their focus, more details become clear to me, along with the reason I feel cold; I'm not really wearing anything at the moment.

In the corner there is a pile of body parts. They appear to be human, though some have been mutilated beyond recognition. From the lack of blood and flies despite their fresh look, they must have been preserved. Glass tanks line the far wall opposite me. In each floated an animal part, though I have never seen insectoid limbs or amphibians of this size. On a wooden table near the glass tanks lay one of Julius's pets, its rib-cage pulled and held open with large steel forceps.

This is probably his laboratory.

Several other things that look like consoles of some sort are scattered the room. There is a weird round machine with arrays of lights and wires stretching to every console near the wooden table. Whatever he is doing here, it isn't magic. If I could get closer and take a look at the computer on one of the moldy old desks, I might be able to learn more.

I hear a slight moan from besides me. Turning my head, I see Keiko, hung from the ceiling in much the same way that I am. She seems to be unconscious, her eyes gently shut. Ugly bruises are splashed all over her face. Like me, she is not wearing any clothes. I resist the urge to stare, but what little I see of the numerous wounds on her body tells me that Julius really loves knives. Still, what is important now is thinking of my next step... If I continue draining the heat from my bindings I should be able to freeze and crack them. Even though I am unable to walk, I might be able to crawl my way around.

A. I take the chance to escape immediately. I can always come back here later to satisfy my curiosity. Preferably with an army in tow.

B. I spend some time checking out the computer before I try to escape. I can also do something about Keiko.
1. I wake Keiko up and try to get her to help me. After all this, she can't be an ally of Julius's. Together we should have a better chance to escape.
2. I don't wake Keiko. I still don't trust her enough to do so.

C. I wait and rest. I am still able to activate my ability and use it to its fullest when I want to. Julius said Relius would come to talk to me personally. Once the two of them are here, I'll surprise them and take them out together, neatly solving this entire problem in one fell swoop.

Baltika9

Arcane
D- pick up the nearest tablet and speak to Mina, enough of this Anime High place.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can't walk, can't very well run. Naked, tendons cut. Yeah. Sure. Sticking around to take out two adversaries sounds like a peachy idea! :roll:

Let's be pragmatic, shall we? Not using our powers in a life-threatening situation turned out to be an unwise decision... :troll:

The most pragmatic choice seems to be A, for which I am voting.
The B varieties means more time spent here, time in which our foe might return. While I can appreciate gathering intel, now is really not the time.

Unless. Our protagonist seems to have a knack for telling time. Does that extend into time spent unconscious? If we knew how long he'd been out, it'd be a bit easier calculating the risks of being caught here. Denied that, I vote for as expeditious a retreat as possible.

Bloodshifter

Educated
A- we know what we are good stuff actually better then winning (I hope you guys understand what happens now).

Run if Reg finds us we ARE screwed no questions asked.

I am still for killing Keiko out of Mercy...

Find Ol' Uncle Shulgi? And Contact our AI.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Judging from the lighting, not long. Thirty minutes at the most. Also, Relius is no longer in Olympia at the moment, if you recall. You broke into his hotel room the night before he left, could be a day or two before he gets back here.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By the way, you guys are one choice away from a BAD END, having avoided a particular combination that would've led to one in the past update. In the finest VN tradition, you get to reload after reading a skit where certain members of the cast discuss the bad ending and how to avoid it.

Edit: Yua's probably sent out a call for help, but you're not sure if they can find you and when. Phone's not with you right now, but you can search for it if you free yourself.

Baltika9

Arcane
By the way, you guys are one choice away from a BAD END, having avoided a particular combination that would've led to one in the past update. In the finest VN tradition, you get to reload after reading a skit where certain members of the cast discuss the bad ending and how to avoid it.
So much for mercifully ending Senya. Ean was built to withstand us. Dio was built to withstand us. Shulgi and Naram were built to withstand us. But this guy...damn, I disliked him up 'till this moment. Now I just pity the poor bastard.
Still, since we're in this mess, might as well explore: B2, because we should seize opportunities as they come. Right now we have a chance to go through Gallardo's files and dig up all sorts of interesting info on him, these monsters, Relius and the Golden Womb, info that we may not otherwise get.
Keiko I don't trust, she's either "broken in" by Boy Wonder here, hence his loyal slave, or she's a Slaaneshi daemonette sent to observe us.

ScubaV

Prophet
We dun goofed. I'm guessing the BAD END in the previous update would've been to attack Julius without our powers. Anyway, unless he somehow hasn't sent in a report already (which I doubt) we can kiss our anonymity goodbye. I'm gonna jump on the A bandwagon. We need to get the hell out and storm the place with reinforcements ASAP. The time for stealth is gone with this particular storyline. Hopefully we can scoop up Julius for interrogation and grab evidence from his computers/the lab. If Keiko can be saved, great. If not, too bad, so sad and our weaboo loses some naivete.

Flop to B1

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A

Escape while we still have a chance. And use those fucking powers if need be.

Flopping to B2for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm gonna jump on the A bandwagon. We need to get the hell out and storm the place with reinforcements ASAP.
That seems like an extreme kneejerk reaction "shitshitshit we're about to get screwed, run!" Chances are, in our condition we won't get far
The first thing I feel are the aches and chills all over my body, and a sharp, throbbing pain at the back of my ankles. I appear to be suspended by my arms, which are tied up above me. My toes can touch the ground, but barely. I try to lower my body. A stinging pain shoots up both of my legs as I do so. My feet are limp, flopping beyond my control when I try to flex them. Did the bastard cut my Gursu's tendons?

It looks like running is out of the question. I should devote my time to something more useful than attempting to get my feet to work through sheer willpower. Cursing my poor judgement, I try to survey my surroundings.

The room I am in is dark and dank. A strong smell of medicinal alcohol permeates the place. Water is dripping in a rhythmic manner – I could tap my foot to the splashes... if I could tap my feet.
(Gursu's tendon, nice one, treave:lol:) and I doubt someone like Gallardo would leave this room without some surveillance and/or protection. We'd be better off utilizing our abilities to their maximum extent: physical prowess(ahem,:smug:) and willpower are not among them. Hacking and critical thinking are, as soon as we begin panicking, we're done.
Edit: never thought I'd say this, but: I miss Dio. He would've Tzeentch'd himself outta here in a second.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Might be worth hacking the computer and using it to find out the location and then send message for Kyrie and her goons.

ScubaV

Prophet
Yeah, you guys bring up some good points. And if His Dickship Relius is going to take awhile to get here we may have some time. I'm definitely considering flopping. Let's see what others have to say.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*sigh* I feared this sort of thing would happen more often without real offensive powers. So much for our superior intellect giving us hints. :retarded:

edit: I guess we really should have asked how fast the creatures were moving. I just assumed they were limping and sloshing along like slow zombies based on the description.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I can't give hints all the time. :lol:

To be fair C1 combination was almost as ill advised. Your ability is best used in one go to achieve what you want to do, because of the time limit and side effects. You could have successfully taken out Julius and the monsters, or easily escaped the roof. Taking a keep away mindset would've been wasting time, and when the ability runs out...

Edit: I believe even the first one that attacked you in your house could pounce, and if you look back, they can keep up with you running home without much difficulty. Means they can at least run, so slow shambling zombies are a mistaken assumption.

Did you guys get sidetracked by the animu? :-/

Well, at least I wasn't completely off with wanting to avoid C1 then.

I can't give hints all the time. :lol:

To be fair C1 combination was almost as ill advised. Your ability is best used in one go to achieve what you want to do, because of the time limit and side effects. You could have successfully taken out Julius and the monsters, or easily escaped the roof. Taking a keep away mindset would've been wasting time, and when the ability runs out...
Ak! So A1 would have worked?!

Crawling away, was how I initially pictured A, but the update says "running is out of the question" Hmm.

treave, can we walk? If so, how fast?

edit: and yes, we got sidetracked by the animu. Or I did at least. :retarded:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can stand and shuffle around while holding onto something, slowly and painfully.... crawling might be faster in some cases.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's why I wantd to capture him then and there :rage:
And the I flopped to C1, which was the "lesser of two evils." Yeah, I fall for that every single time.
Would the cavalry at least have rescued us?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Butterfield would've appeared in a helicopter. Wouldn't have made it in time in C1 because while you can run around easily when the ability is active, once it ends it turns you into a sitting duck. You would've been forced to use your ability in C2 as you begin to tire, buy that's different from using it from the start. While with B2 (and A2) you don't get a chance to use it because you're distracted by fighting. Get in a few more life or death situations and it should become easier though.

Hint: What Bookstore Shulgi taught is an offensive gamechanger.

Kipeci

Arcane
Okay, let's see. We're naked with our tendons cut in some abandoned facility; getting out of here is not going to be a piece of cake. Remember, blindly running away is what led to us getting into this mess. While I'm not going to deny that we'd be pretty screwed if Relius showed up, some help would be nice, and one of the only possible candidates for that right now is Keiko. If nothing else, she could probably help us to shamble faster.

It's also evident that while she was probably threatened and tortured into giving us that message, she had enough free will to change up her script, so she's not some sort of mindslave. I'm not even sure she really has the means to betray us at this point; we're kind of boned right now, anyway, and she's just being suspended in the air and naked with no pockets for any tricky gadgets or the like. I really can't think of a way she could betray us from here that couldn't have been covered by some sort of more obvious and trustworthy mechanism that's probably running as we speak, and she really has no logical reason to be going against our escape attempt.

C is out of the question; while it would be pretty great if we managed to pull it off, I don't think we're good enough to beat Relius in addition to whatever guard and monsters they might be bringing.

B1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom