Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I can't give hints all the time. :lol:

To be fair C1 combination was almost as ill advised. Your ability is best used in one go to achieve what you want to do, because of the time limit and side effects. You could have successfully taken out Julius and the monsters, or easily escaped the roof. Taking a keep away mindset would've been wasting time, and when the ability runs out...

Edit: I believe even the first one that attacked you in your house could pounce, and if you look back, they can keep up with you running home without much difficulty. Means they can at least run, so slow shambling zombies are a mistaken assumption.

Did you guys get sidetracked by the animu? :-/

^ Top  
  2. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Well, at least I wasn't completely off with wanting to avoid C1 then.

Ak! So A1 would have worked?!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Crawling away, was how I initially pictured A, but the update says "running is out of the question" Hmm.

treave, can we walk? If so, how fast?

edit: and yes, we got sidetracked by the animu. Or I did at least. :retarded:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can stand and shuffle around while holding onto something, slowly and painfully.... crawling might be faster in some cases.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That's why I wantd to capture him then and there :rage:
    And the I flopped to C1, which was the "lesser of two evils." Yeah, I fall for that every single time.
    Would the cavalry at least have rescued us?

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Butterfield would've appeared in a helicopter. Wouldn't have made it in time in C1 because while you can run around easily when the ability is active, once it ends it turns you into a sitting duck. You would've been forced to use your ability in C2 as you begin to tire, buy that's different from using it from the start. While with B2 (and A2) you don't get a chance to use it because you're distracted by fighting. Get in a few more life or death situations and it should become easier though.

Hint: What Bookstore Shulgi taught is an offensive gamechanger.

^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Okay, let's see. We're naked with our tendons cut in some abandoned facility; getting out of here is not going to be a piece of cake. Remember, blindly running away is what led to us getting into this mess. While I'm not going to deny that we'd be pretty screwed if Relius showed up, some help would be nice, and one of the only possible candidates for that right now is Keiko. If nothing else, she could probably help us to shamble faster.

It's also evident that while she was probably threatened and tortured into giving us that message, she had enough free will to change up her script, so she's not some sort of mindslave. I'm not even sure she really has the means to betray us at this point; we're kind of boned right now, anyway, and she's just being suspended in the air and naked with no pockets for any tricky gadgets or the like. I really can't think of a way she could betray us from here that couldn't have been covered by some sort of more obvious and trustworthy mechanism that's probably running as we speak, and she really has no logical reason to be going against our escape attempt.

C is out of the question; while it would be pretty great if we managed to pull it off, I don't think we're good enough to beat Relius in addition to whatever guard and monsters they might be bringing.

B1.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    One more hint, since the character is supposed to be smart.

Erika and her kin seem to be able to sense non-humans. Erika does attack non-humans. The Dunamis man who confronted you in the hotel thought you were a cultist partly because of the non-human factor.

Erika and Keiko have been in the same class since before you joined.

That probably rules out Keiko attempting to surprise tentacle-rape you if you free her.

^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    :(

^ Top  
  10. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Flopped to B1

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm interested in what this Third Hierarch thing is about, but I assume we'll learn more unless we royally screw up. :M

^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Arright, B1. Cue the monster inhabiting Keiko's body revealing itself. After all, it might only be a recent possession - something Erika hasn't had time to notice yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zwist Learned

Zwist
    Oooops. I somehow thought of the creatures as shambling frankensteinian creations.

On the question at hand:
    So, why is she visibly beat up? What exactly happened after we blacked out? If that little time went by, there must be a reason for him going bananas on her ass.
    And why didn't she tell us the lie she was supposed to? Because she tried to warn us? Because she new it wouldn't work? Because in reality she does wub us but is to shy to tell(anime)?
    Also: I want us to be carried into freedom in the arms of a nude chick. Even if we risk here being under a loons direct control or part of a new non-benevolent faction.

B1

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Guys, I don't think trusting Keiko like that is too good of an idea here. At least check Gallardo's laptop for any mention of her first, goddammit. I don't want a repeat of the herbalist.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I envisioned them to be more like badly made chimera (because Julius is pretty much a noob), with differing capabilities. Some are faster, some are slower, some are stronger, some are smarter, depending on their construction and parts used. To actual superhumans (send them up against any of the Successors from a thousand years ago and laugh) they'd still be nothing more than fodder, but you aren't at that level.

edit: Sure, you could be cautious and check Julius's comp first before doing anything with Keiko. Not very gentlemanly, but I suppose this isn't time for that. Also, I'm sure Keiko won't ask you to grip a burning coal. :lol:

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It's not the coals and priests I'm worried about, it's getting ball-and-chained and delivered to whomever on a silver platter is what I'm cautious of. We're in deep right now, with a physically weak protagonist that can't even friggin' walk at a decent pace. And Keiko here was in a very curious state of mind
    Sure, could be PTSD, or it could be she really was observing us and since our efforts to disguise the tentacles was all for naught, freeing her without knowing what's going on may open another Pandora's box on us here.
    Which would be fine had we had Ean's martial prowess or Dio's Will to Power (seriously, that was awesome), but all we have now are brains, hacking abilities and under-powered tentacles (for Chrissakes, we can't even mold our raw energy into direct manifestations yet) attached to a weak and currently crippled body. Now is the time to focus and take a complete survey of the situation before doing anything rash or just plain old get the hell outta here.
    This guy isn't suited for reckless gambles, he just plain can't take it.

^ Top  
  17. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    So if we were holding on to Keiko to prop ourselves up, we may actually be moving slower? Not to mention the time it'd take to get her down + the time it'd take to look at the computer...

I really don't trust this girl at all and I'm worried that if we picked B1, she'd betray us and if we picked B2, she'd scream or something. A may be the safest route.

A, for now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can't lift your feet off the ground, so all you can do is shuffle. Would be easier to search a room if she is willing to help you.

Well, there's really too little information you have on exactly where you are imprisoned - all you know is that it's probably on Academy grounds, and the vagueness is on purpose. Do you spend time to gather information and risk having Julius and/or Relius walk in on you, or do you take a gamble and try to escape immediately?

As for Keiko, clearly it's unlikely that Julius would set up some long, elaborate con based on what you've seen of his character so far, so if she's suspicious, who is she answering to? Relius might scheme something like this, but then why would she lure you up to the roof on Julius's orders, who seems to be carrying a one-sided grudge against you and doesn't know anything about your powers. The cover of anonymity is still there; Shulgi hasn't done anything with the data that would leak your involvement (yet), and neither have you. All Relius knows (before you got to the roof) is that someone was spotted coming out of his room, and his bodyguard said it was a cultist.

Things would become clearer if you can piece together what a Third Hierarch means. The clues are already there.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, let me see if I got this straight: all of the powers that we've seen and used are based on an "energy." Said energy is inherent in some beings to a varying degree, humans and Gieloth being the only ones we know of right now.
    However, to channel this energy into powers, one would need a "macro" that shows him how to do so (and the reason the Immortals can use them automatically is because the Voices already have said macros; the reason Ean's successors could do so is because of his memories, that also contained these macros in addition to everything else).
    Following this trail of thought, I make the following conjecture: right now Senya is playing with this energy in it's most raw, accessible form and lacks the knowledge how to apply it to a more direct ends, such as superstrength/regeneration/fire/etc...
    Edit: so is Gallardo with his amateurish necromancy.

Yes, no, maybe? Not that I'm expecting a handout here, but a hint would be nice.

^ Top  
  20. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    I guess a Third Hierarch is an elite cultist who has been treated with Ean's Inanna flowers? Just like you... Or maybe some cult splinter or rival secret organization... I don't know, but I vote B2 since I'd like to check out the computer, and it won't give anything away to Relius(since Julius seems incompetent) if he returns earlier, whereas we could learn what's going on, where we are, and summon help. Also this way we can help out Keiko after we get some info if we so want, and if Relius comes back before we escape, we won't have given any info away to her that could be used against us.

I'd really like to do C, but I'm afraid we'd die. I'm also curious about why Keiko was so expressionless earlier, but oh well. She seemed pretty normal at school except that she liked us, but since I don't know why she is special, I'd rather have the super-corporation Shinari princess route.

With Shulgi's hint about the eyes, are we going to be able to see lines or points of death? Because that would be brutal with our current super reaction rate ability. Also, what would have happened with A2 earlier? Could we have threatened Julius' life with our regular strength (and maybe some subtle tentacles?) Anyway, let the story continue!

:love:

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The premise of there being some sort of special energy in living beings is not correct, though of course energy is always involved in one form or another, but you are actually kinda close.

If you think about it, don't all of these feats, which would not be possible under normal circumstances, sound like changing reality?

edit: What the Gieloth do, however, is a mix of their own biotechnology and bits of knowledge they've picked up from fighting the Masters over the years. It is different from the voices in concept, though in practice the results are similar. As for Senya, yes, the word primal and raw is suitable.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    ...so it's basically imposing ones will upon one's surroundings. As for said "energy," I did not say I considered it special as in "mana." Rather, this whole episode with the Tree
    Sekhenun
    and the "Inheritor" stuff(I hope Senya isn't who I think he is, those two deserve better; most likely not though and thankfully so)
    kind of makes me think that said "energy" is the "life energy" of a living/sentient being(not really clear on this one, although Sek did say she would be able to subsist on "lesser lifeforms" back in Egypt) that is required to power said manipulations of reality, expressing itself in heat.

Off topic: if willpower really does govern this, then wouldn't Dio be Lord and Master of All Things?

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That's just metabolism in a way. Expenditure of energy increases as you use powers. As I said, energy is always involved in one way or another. The type has little to do with the powers. If someone found a way to power himself with nuclear energy that would work too.

Willpower is useless if you don't have the power to back it up. See: cut tendons.

Ean and Sek deserve exactly what I give them and nothing more. :lol:

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So, the Gieloth found some way to manipulate the inherent energy of living beings and Ean somehow switched to it after eating his Voices. And then life-giving, reality altering flowers rose up from his carcass because he ate the Tree that was overflowing with life energy... right. Does this mean we could use them to power giant robots and superpowers?
    :hmmm:
    I suddenly regret the fact that we weren't around to make Communism happen.
    [​IMG]
    That's just me hoping Ean got something nice in the end after being used and abused by us. Then again, that is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even... well, who knows?
    P.S: you cruel bastard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Converting the flowers into a suitable power source for robots would be extremely difficult. For now just think of their "energy", as you say, as stimulating growth of life.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.