Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:hmmm:

A2 is winning?

Am I supposed to deus ex machina Senya into survival by having Anhur surf the nuclear blast shockwaves to (relative) safety on a piece of colony wall while re-entering the atmosphere at terminal velocity? Tempting, but I was going to give out our first bad end. The bad end counter is feeling a bit neglected so far. :lol:

I suppose it's not exactly impossible given the shit this LP pulls regularly*...

*I'm only taking partial responsibility for that.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yes, well
images
“Don't blame your luck on the ISC. Your recklessness going to get you killed one of these days.” she sighs. “I would hate to lose such a wonderful subordinate.”
foreshadowing.png

It couldn't have ended any other way.:salute:

GreyViper

Prophet
Im curious couldn't the shatterpoint be used on the thrusters powering the colony. So by destroying one or two could we change the trajectory of of the rock?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Im curious couldn't the shatterpoint be used on the thrusters powering the colony. So by destroying one or two could we change the trajectory of of the rock?
Oh yeah, if we could redirect the huge nuke to the UNS or the other guys I'd be in favour of that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

The inside has also lost all gravity, but I can feel the acceleration of the colony as it begins to speed up, drawn into the gravity well of the Earth. The incessant roar of the huge rockets die off as the colony is allowed to coast to its final position.

No, unfortunately the thrusters have been shut off as the colony begins its descent.

No, you're supposed to kill the little bastard and let us out of this animu hell!

:lol:

Hell is eternity desu.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
the thrusters have been shut off as the colony begins its descent.

By whom? And, more importantly, can we re-ignite them? Maybe even, Ean forbid, steer the colony clear from Earth?

They're out of fuel. They were loaded with only a bit more than they needed, and they used that up when you stalled their approach somewhat.

Anyway, here are the projected effects on civilians for option A1 and A2.

A1: A full quarter of the colony breaks away and burns up when it starts decelerating in the atmosphere, thanks to your efforts. The remaining bulk continues onward with a slight deviation and strikes Africa on its southern tip, penetrating into the earth's crust. The resulting crater shortens the continent's visible land-mass by many kilometers. The resulting tsunami causes widespread coastal damage to the southern regions of the UNS. Furthermore, the consequence of such a massive object forcing its way through the atmosphere is that the fluctuations in air pressure results in global storms for a few weeks as the Earth's wind belts are thrown into disarray. The Empire's manufactories are of course affected, as is every other person and facility on the planet, but production capacity does not drop below 70% of their maximum capacity. The overall death toll goes into the tens of millions worldwide.

A2. The colony is blown into multiple fragments by the nuclear warheads launched by the Neo Shinar Empire. Those too big to burn up in the atmosphere land all over the world, primarily in Europe, Asia and Africa. Several major population centers of the Empire and the Indus are hit by stray pieces, including Ankida itself and the Higashi capital, causing many casualties. A good part of the Solar Ring is rendered inoperable due to damage to the space elevators, cutting power to many regions. The Empire's manufacturing capabilities remain fully intact, but are slowed down temporarily due to the power shortages. The death toll goes into the high millions, primarily in urban centers.

edit: Hm, since we were doing stuff like signal jamming, it stands to reason we put Yua's core onto Anhur for maximum efficiency, right?

edit2: Allowing the colony to hit unimpeded, with the nukes, takes out about... uh, perhaps nearly a tenth of Africa's landmass in the south and half of the Empire's total manufacturing capability, and utterly devastates the southern UNS with tidal waves that propagate across the Atlantic. The Indus is also affected, but to a lesser extent, though the waves make their impact as far east as the Indonesian islands. A month of global storms that ground all air and sea travel is accompanied by a great cooling of the climate. The death toll should easily go into the hundreds of millions within that month.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yep. That'd make sense. It would also mean that nukes going off near us would probably fry her core and render us completely helpless. Senya'd be unconscious, and Yua would be dead and gone.

Hooray for A2... :troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
Wow, the backslash from this, even A2, will be colossal. So much so that it will make the Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, 911, et al look like kindergarten tantrums. Once word spreads that UNS and Indus were responsible for this shit, well, I don't think even the whole Imperial Government would be able to salvage the situation, even if they wanted to. And since Europe will be hit, then I doubt even the republic nations will be able to stay out of this.

Well, this will be interesting.
:avatard:

Sadly, A2 will probably result in a Bad End. It would've been fun to play a half-crippled Senya, surviving on implants and cybernetic augmentations, and harness the Higashi-Empire Alliance outrage and industrial capacity to create the ultimate war machine and go onto a face-stomping spree. Or something.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, I'll lock it in and write A2 anyway, since I've spoken too much about this choice. Both A options start off the same, they just end differently.

edit: Yeah, either way expect the war to intensify, becoming about bloody vengeance and useless pride more than it is about resources or independence. There you have it, the nationalism you wanted. Since we got ourselves terribly injured and clinging to life in some coastal village in northern Africa, we aren't around to stop the atrocity some Imperial troops inflict on the Indus in supposed retaliation.

...on hindsight perhaps I made the consequences for not going to the Atman Foundation too severe and random. Sorry guys. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
edit: Yeah, either way expect the war to intensify, becoming about bloody vengeance and useless pride more than it is about resources or independence. There you have it, the nationalism you wanted. Since we got ourselves terribly injured and clinging to life in some coastal village in northern Africa, we aren't around to stop the atrocity some Imperial troops inflict on the Indus in supposed retaliation.
:love:
You make me so happy, treave.
And whoever said that we wanted to stop said atrocity in the first place? The Wyrmlords had it coming.
:rpgcodex:
...on hindsight perhaps I made the consequences for not going to the Atman Foundation too severe and random. Sorry guys. :M
Doesn't seem that way to me. If we end up looking like Lord General Sturnn's more hardcore twin (referencing the scars, of course; we are getting those, right?), I'll just consider that a bonus. The Humanity that will emerge on the other end of this conflict will be a bunch of hard-ass bastards. Let the Masters try us then.

Zwist

Learned
Exellent, this is will just make things more interesting.
Also this has never been about the "best" choice, but the "oh fuck" moments, making things to fair makes them boring.
A horrible consequence to a choice you could not know would turn out this way makes quit a bit of the appeal this LP has.
Also: I would appreciate if you could wait to explain the alternative courses up until "after" the actions took place. This way a lot of the suspension is not quite there any more :lol:

Edit: And here the alternative alternative soundtrack for the end of the next update.
The part where flaming balls of fire rain on humanity.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Empress Strikes Back

track: raiser

“Alright, Yua, it's now or never! Take over the controls for me while I focus on aiming.”

“Got it, Master!”

“Ensign, what are you doing?” Grimrock asks, a bit bewildered.

“Finishing the job, captain. I'll see you in a while.”

“Wait a-”

I take off.

“I'm deactivating all of the damaged thrusters and keeping only the verniers that can aid with stabilization.” remarks Yua.

I don't need all my jets – stability is more important than speed here. As the Anhur flies out of Lothal at a fraction of its usual speed, I activate the second stage of my ability. Attacking from the inside is a good way to get me trapped as the colony falls. The glowing blue lines come into faint focus, criss-crossing the colony. With brief commands, I indicate to Yua where I want to go; skimming the surface of the colony's walls, I trace whatever lines I can reach with my saber. I don't stop to survey the chaos I leave behind me. My eyes begin to hurt, but I keep them open nonetheless.

“Where are the warheads?”

“Right ahead, but they're sealed behind a large bulwark.”

I see it; at the front end of the gigantic cylinder. “Get me in front of the colony, Yua.” Swooping down, I find there's no easy line for me to trace in safety. I also don't have any more time to waste on flying around the lines, so... I'll just have to cut it head on.

“Over-charge my saber, Yua. Reroute particles from the barrier generator.”

“Yes sir!”

The generator begins to whine as Yua redirects more and more particles to the saber. At the same time, she pulls power from Anhur's reactor. The screens flicker and dim as warning signals begin flashing all over the cockpit. The flame from the thrusters die off soon after.

“Are we done yet?”

The colony is bearing down on me, a massive wall of screaming death. I better get this over with quick; the Kaguya-hime can still pick me up if I maintain this altitude.

“Reroute complete, Master! Let's do this!”

My saber flares up, sparks welding the hilt to Anhur's hand. The stream of plasma from the saber extends to a length greater than that of Anhur itself, streaking behind me in a disorderly manner – the reactor no longer has enough power to create a field that can contain this many particles. I swing the saber, pushing Anhur's strength to its limit. The burning plasma slices along the line I had identified, cutting through easily with no resistance.

The problem would be with Anhur's arms – they are about to give out from the nonstop fighting. We hadn't had any time to do serious maintenance on it. The CNT muscles begin to fray, and my saber gradually starts slowing down. My brain is screaming at me, and I can feel something warm dripping from the sides of my eyes. It's not just Anhur; I can't hold on for much longer either.

“Not now!”

“Master, there's a large piece of the colony tumbling this way! I don't have enough thruster power left to evade it!”

Well, fuck. Some of the parts I had cut off earlier are still headed towards us. I force Anhur to move its arms more... metre by metre, I inch my way towards completing my cut. If I can pull it off before the piece reaches me...

“Master!”

It's impossible. Should I cancel my attack and run now? I can still make it, but it would mean abandoning what I've set up to do.

Suddenly, a large beam engulfs the piece of the colony's wall, vaporizing it. Far behind the colony, I spot a red Vizala II, missing its right arm. In its left it held a rifle, its barrel glowing hot. The Vizala II continues to fire, picking off all the pieces headed for me.

“Thanks, sis!” I call out to her, not knowing if she can hear me. Time to finish it. I put all my strength into my swing as I shout, feeling my own muscles stretch from the strain. Anhur's arms finally tear, but I complete it – as I fall back, my frame armless, the wall in front of me splits into two. The part with the warhead begins moving on a different trajectory, entering low Earth orbit, just as the colony begins to take on a faint red glow. It's decelerating as it hits the atmosphere.

The damage I did causes the structure of the colony to buckle and fracture in its re-entry, throwing vast amounts of space debris all around me. I can see Rei's Vizala coming towards me, its single arm outstretched. She won't make it in time.

“Master, we're entering the atmosphere.” The frame is shaking horribly, the cockpit bathed in red. The outside of the frame is beginning to peel and flake away from the heat.

“Master?”

Even so, I can't keep my eyes open anymore. My brain gives up on me, sending me into the dark depths of unconsciousness.

“Is he awake?”

“Looks like it. The operation was a success.”

“Hey, you're not the village quack for nothing.”

“I'm a doctor! A doctor! I have a license, you know?”

“They say doctors without a license are the most skilled.” I murmur. “Something about underground doctors.” I open my eyes slowly. It's bright. My vision is blurry, and I'm hurting everywhere – it's like someone dropped me in a bath of acid. I hope I haven't ended up with bleached white skin. I try to raise myself.

“Don't try to get up yet. It's a miracle you survived.” One of the voices comes over and pushes me down. It takes a while before my sight returns fully, though it still feels too bright. A few dark-skinned people are standing around me, concerned looks on their faces.

“Where am I?”

“The village of Lagat. We're near the Hispalis border.”

I haven't heard of the place, but judging from the cry of the seagulls, we're definitely near the sea. The voices speak Shinari with a African accent, and there aren't that many places near the Hispalis border and by the sea that the Empire holds. From that I think I can guess where I am – at the north-western coast of Africa. It looks like I managed to fall a very long way.

I try to raise my right hand to my face to shield my eyes from the light.

There's nothing there, just a stump.

“Oh boy,” I groan. “What happened to it?”

“We found you clutching onto something, kid – it was fused to your hand entirely, like you'd grabbed it and put your hand in lava. Couldn't get it off easily, and your hand was a goner anyway, so we took the whole thing off. It was some sort of black orb.”

Black orb... Yua?

“Where is it? Where's the orb?” I ask, in a slight panic. Is she alright?

“We figured it was something important to you.” said the villager. “It's over there, by the bed.”

I turn over and see Yua's core. Grabbing it, I make a cursory inspection. No good. This is no good. It's fried. The core is horribly scratched, dented and charred from the rigours of re-entry. I can retrieve some logs from it, but the personality matrix is gone. I'll have to rebuild her from the backup data I have... but it won't be the same.

I found out that it's been a week since the colony drop incident. They don't get much news out here in Lagat, but they did see a shining star crash into the sea, ahead of many massive flashes in the sky. They must have nuked the colony. From the logs, it appears that with the last of her power Yua managed to get Anhur behind a large colony fragment, steering it away from the colony. The nuclear missiles from the ground had hit soon after – we did not escape unscathed, and now here I am, alone.

Once I got a rudimentary receiver up and running, my theory was confirmed. Even though we managed to avert the worst, the remnants of the colony landed all over the world. Millions were killed wherever they hit major metropolitan areas – even Ankida was not spared. So was Kyoto... I hope my parents and sister are alright. Power shortages have become frequent due to damage to the Solar Ring system.

Two weeks later, I managed to fix one of the television sets in the village.

It seems that Naim was now a Colonel, having been given a triple-promotion for his bravery in defending the Empire from the colony drop. All of the credit had been given to him – there was no mention of me or Anhur. For the first time in a thousand years, the title of Hero of the Empire was bestowed upon a Shinari warrior. The ceremony was pompous and glorious, with the Empress herself bestowing the honours. It was probably trivial for her to arrange this; I had been relatively low-key with my actions, fighting unofficially behind enemy lines and rarely coordinating with our allied fleets. Wiping my deeds from the records would have been easy.

Kyrie's ascension plans had been delayed, it seems. I'm not too sure what is going on there, but the Emperor still appears to be in seclusion, while Kyrie herself has begun to make public appearances as the Crown Princess, visiting areas affected by the colony drop. She had a certain easy-going yet noble charm on screen that would win her popularity polls easily. It's a good thing all these suffering folk don't know her sadistic nature, I think to myself with a bemused smile.

While I recuperated, the war raged on. A tactical nuclear device was used three days after the colony drop on the Indus megalopolis of Karna without warning, killing millions of civilians. A lone Higashi bomber made it past the ocean and dropped an incendiary bomb over the UNS capital of Shulgipolis before being shot down. I sighed when I heard about that; this just ensures whatever sense of horror the enemy civilians had at their leadership's actions over the colony drop would be replaced by anger and self-righteous indignation. If you can only win a war by turning the enemy and their lands into ashes inch by inch, it is a hollow victory paid for in blood. It's definitely not the smartest strategy, though I wasn't aware that the Empire and the Higashi had such hotheads in its command posts.

Rei had appeared to denounce the colony drop publicly and call for a more civilized method of making war, as per my expectations for the cult's attempt to make her a uniting hero respected by both sides, but that didn't work at all.

Someone leaked the involvement of the Apostles of Hiranyagarbha, blaming them for the drop, the day before she did, and named her as their most important member; its Messiah, so to speak. The cult faced instant persecution all over the world, even in the UNS, though they remained somewhat accepted in the Indus. She was shouted off the stage, looking scared and confused, by an angry crowd. By that time, however, the Empire and Higashi's actions had lost them whatever sympathy they had, and the war continued grudgingly. It had become a war against the other, instead of one conducted for rational interests.

Despite that, things did not devolve into nuclear war. That is the part that surprised me the most; even with such high tensions, they restrained themselves from going all out. Even the Empire did not employ any nukes after Karna. This was, to me, highly suspicious, but I'm in no position to investigate it right now.

Meanwhile, there are some changes to my powers. Stretching my ability to its limits in a life-or-death situation appears to have snapped something in my brain; I can now turn it on and off at will, as if I were using the Inanna drugs. One of my eyes – the right one – has changed too, and not for the better. The lines are beginning to appear randomly by themselves if I see through that eye. The first time it happened, I was reaching for a pen, and I cut the table in two. I put an eye-patch on it after it continued happening haphazardly, though not frequently, but I'm not taking any chances; who knows if I might accidentally kill someone the next time.

I spend my days tinkering with Yua's core, trying to figure out a way to bring her back, to no avail. My injuries are still too severe for me to travel far, though I do manage to build a rudimentary mechanical hand from the scraps the villagers kindly donated to me.

It is a month before she finds me.

“Get up here, you useless dog! How dare you keep me waiting for so long?”

The warship bellows its transmission over the village. It was a new Pimsin II class, equipped with an atmospheric flight module that allowed it to hover in the atmosphere. We didn't have that a month ago. How fast was technology evolving? Anyway, I'd know that voice anywhere. Despite myself, an unruly grin spreads over my face. One of the Onuris frames comes over to fetch me. It carries me up into the hangar in its massive hands... and there she is, standing with her hands on her hips, just like the first time I met her.

The instant my feet touch the ground, Kyrie throws herself at me. I feel her lips touch mine and I go red in embarassment and surprise.

“That's... some greeting.” I say, slightly amazed at her daring to do that in front of so many of the ship's crew.

“W-well, you deserve it, you useless dog.” she mutters. “Why did it take you so long to let me know you were alive?”

“Look at me,” I sigh. “It took me two weeks before I could send out a message I knew Anna could pick up and convey to you.”

“Well, it's a lucky thing she did, or you'd just die out here in the countryside, alone.” grins Kyrie, her arms still around my neck. “Anyway-”

One of the crew members interrupts what she was going to say. “Your Highness, the captain says that there's a battleship approaching us. It's one of our own, but it's making hostile overtures, telling us to stand down.”

Kyrie looks perplexed. “What is that about – no, did she follow me somehow?”

“She?”

“Mother. I was too careless! It's all your fault!"

"My fault? How is it my fault that you don't check your back?"

"Well, I was just too eager to - forget it!" she yells, turning red and kicking me. It hurts, but the feeling is nostalgic.

Her worst suspicions are confirmed soon after – as the cruiser stands down, the Empress boards it with a whole contingent of soldiers following her. I see Naim at her side, decked out in military regalia and a whole bar of medals pinned to his lapel. Kyrie curtseys politely as her mother stands in front of her.

“My dear daughter, need I remind you that you should not commandeer our ships in a time of war to go looking for strays?” sniffs the Empress.

Kyrie does not reply, looking at the ground.

“Anyway, this is a perfect opportunity. Arrest that scruffy boy with an eye-patch over there.”

“It's good to see you again, Your Majesty, but what have I done wrong?” I call out. I'm not even going to mention the credit she stole from me; that'd be just petty of me, no? Naim looks uncomfortable, averting his eyes from me. I suppose he knows the truth.

“This boy is a member of the cult that tried to destroy our great Empire!” shouts the Empress. “He is the brother of their self-proclaimed Messiah, here to seduce our Princess astray. Men, take him in, alive or dead!”

“You have no proof.” I shake my head. “I'm not a cultist.”

“Oh, I don't? I have proof of you meeting with the cult's Messiah, that Scarlet Lightning. I have proof of your birth and residence at the cult's quarters. You are not who you say you are, Senya Hoshikawa. The more lies you tell, the worse it will be for you. Give up now and I may refrain from handing you over to the Higashi. They are keen to meet a cultist, especially one related to the high-ranking members... they might do anything to make you talk.” sneers the Empress. “All I want is to prevent you from doing any more harm to the Empire. Cooperate and we will make sure you get a comfortable cell.”

“Is that blackmail, Your Majesty?” I ask. I'm pretty sure by comfortable cell, she means a place on a dissection table.

“So it seems you are stubborn. Very well. Kyrie, get over here. That boy is dangerous.” She raises a hand as the soldiers move forward. Naim looks troubled, but he says nothing.

Kyrie backs into me and whispers, “Perhaps you should run.”

It looks like she isn't confident she will be able to protect me. The balance of power in the Empire must tilt far towards her mother right now. I look around the hangar; the crew are all strangers. I will find no help here - this isn't the Kaguya-hime.

A. I 'take' Kyrie hostage and make my escape on one of the frames in the hangar. She'd definitely be more than willing to play along. Why would I let myself get captured by that hag here, after all I've been through?

B. It's too risky to try anything, with Kyrie between me and the soldiers. I give myself up – I can try to look for chances to escape later.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Exellent, this is will just make things more interesting.
Also this has never been about the "best" choice, but the "oh fuck" moments, making things to fair makes them boring.
A horrible consequence to a choice you could not know would turn out this way makes quit a bit of the appeal this LP has.
Also: I would appreciate if you could wait to explain the alternative courses up until "after" the actions took place. This way a lot of the suspension is not quite there any more :lol:

So you're saying that this LP is all about getting screwed over? The Codex is a M. The latest update should be somewhat satisfying, then. :troll:

ScubaV

Prophet
I'm leaning towards B. Obviously, Naim, Grimrock, and everyone on the Kaguya-hime knows it was us at the colony. I think B plays better with the common soldiers. Once we make our escape it should also give us an opportunity to gather information from the inside. I think we're going to have to depose the Empress and/or the Board of Directors. With someone more level-headed like Kyrie in place, we could possibly even try to wind down the war. Citizens around the world are hot-blooded now, but I'm sure they'll get fatigued and desire peace soon enough.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Screw this. 'nap the heiress and run. :smug:

A

Running off hapharzadly would make us look even worse unless we manage to spin this one. We need allies and have only one here. We could be running off with her, and we might find more later.
I'm not fully committed yet though.

The Empire can go fuck itself if you ask me. We want to gather the Power Players. We want Erika, Shulgi, Rei and our heiress here, though she displays no supernatural powers, she has political use.

How to best accomplish this, I'm not too sure. Leaning towards A, but I'll mull it over some.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seriously though, mankind now has spaceships that can hover inside the atmosphere. How cool is that? Shulgi's ecstatic somewhere.
No, looks like the conflict can go on, as long as no more nukes are employed. Conflict is the mother of creativity after all. Once an external threat presents itself (and we know it will), mankind will have something to focus all this anger and hate at, which isn't fellow man.

We just need to be at the right place and time when that moment comes. Until then, as far as I am concerned, the Empress can have her empire. Let's fuck off and go play hide and seek. If this spurs the Empire into developing better sensors in the search for us, maybe we'll get an earlier heads up before shit hits the fan.

I'm back to voting
A
baby! Fuck the politics. Nab the heiress and split. Who gives a fuck about this old hag?

Oh, and while we're flying away, send Naim a comm telling him we don't hold a grudge, and he deserves all of this. :troll:

ScubaV

Prophet
I think you make some good points Azira. Shulgi (if he is in fact THE Shulgi) is probably taking the long view: Humanity suffers in the short term, but the technological gains long term are immense.

I do find the idea of us running around doing whatever we want mercenary-style while the world sorts out it's own problems rather enticing. I think the cult owes us a significant debt of pain, though, and whichever route we take I'd like to make that a priority.

I'm guessing Kyrie would be happy to run away with us and play pirate princess, but the question is do WE want her along or do we want her in place as the eventual Empress for future machinations? I suspect with either A or B we can fuck off and do our own thing, it's just A has that happening earlier and comes with Kyrie.

Bloodshifter

Educated
So who didn't see this coming from a mile away? And why didn't we attempt contact with Shulgi first? Codex you Senile M Bastard. So much happening behind the scenes and the Empress is behind it all somehow.

A-Kyrie Path lone gun dead set against the Empire may end up siding eith Cult(Shulgi) may just rebuild Yua and go at it Top Gun style.

B-Anyone's guess except Yua she is confisciated and dissected. Being busted out by the Cult(Mother) is strong with Sister and Erika following a close second. Empire isn't so keen on returning us to da table because we don't have the Princess.

Ne-Ne Treave shouldn't our Laser Dispersion Cloak have helped a bit? Laser>Heat of Re-entry but Re-Entry does last longer then Laser

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Uh, it's a particle dispersion barrier. At any rate you drained it after cutting the colony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom