Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Changing Conflict

Escaping Ankida is easy, with everyone preoccupied with the funeral and no one expecting my presence. The alert is only sounded after the body is put into the earth; by that time I am on the back of a truck, heading south into Egypt along with a herd of friendly swine. Due to my discreet actions, Rose and Babs manage to retain their jobs and their lives. That is something I think they'll be thankful to me for.

The world changes quickly after that.

A day after Kyrie's funeral, the Empire provides proof that the cult was behind the nuclear destruction of Karna and the fire-bombing of Shulgipolis. The perpetrators were named as high-ranking members of the cult, part of a secret side of the third level of their hierarchy. The Imperials and the Higashi each arrest and execute both the officers that carried out their orders, and the generals that gave them. The purge extends to nearly a tenth of their respective militaries; a bold risk to take in times of war. However, it pays off in spades. The UNS civilian leadership decides to sue for peace, disturbed by the cult's pervasive presence even amongst their enemies. The military, understanding that they are yet far from losing the war, are disgruntled at this decision.

A week after Kyrie's funeral, the Empress announces the dissolution of the Neo Shinar Empire, to be replaced by the Shinar Republic, with the full backing of the ISC's board and members of the Imperial government. She is no longer the Empress Julia Canaria de Shinar, but President Julia, the head of the ISC, and the temporary leader of the Republic. She promises elections will be called as soon as the conflict ends, and says that this was something Kyrie was working towards before her untimely demise, as part of her plans for peace and to share power with the people. The Emperor himself agrees to retire, going into history as the last Emperor of the four thousand year old Shinar Empire.

A month after Kyrie's funeral, the Shinar Republic, the Higashi, the UNS and the assorted nations of the Northern Union – Gallo-Britannia, Skane, Hispalis and Etruria – come together to form the world government of the United Federation of Nations. The Indus Confederation refuses to participate, as it is still at war with the Shinar and the Higashi, though enemy troops are now within striking distance of its capital. For the first time in human history, more than 90% of the world's territory is now under the control of a single government. The presidency of the Federation is to be rotated between the head of states of each of its member nations, no matter how large or small. As the originator of the idea, President Julia of the Shinar Republic is unanimously made the first President of the world.

This is the last straw for the dissatisfied UNS military. A coup d'etat is launched by a majority of their armed forces, seizing all UNS orbital assets and a large part of Northern Shulgiland.

General Cualli Natles is proclaimed the Supreme General of Shulgiland. The first act he takes as Supreme General is to declare his forces for the Indus Confederation, acting as an autonomous army on their behalf. By this time, most of the Indus leaders have escaped into space, along with prominent members of the Apostles of Hiranyagarbha. The conflict is rapidly turning into an Earth-Space war, with the cult-backed forces dominating near-Earth orbit regions, while the United Federation firmly controls the ground. Still, the disparity in numbers and manufacturing capability does mean that it is only a matter of time before the United Federation achieves victory.

In the midst of all this, what have I been doing? As one of the most wanted faces in the world, there is little I can do by myself. If I were to declare my identity as Hoshikawa Senya anywhere on Earth, I would be swiftly turned in and executed. There is no safe harbour under my old name anymore. No matter what, if I want to find Kyrie again I will need resources and information. Most avenues are closed to me, but there are yet a few ways I can take.

A. I hitch a flight into orbit. The security in colonies will be easier for me to bypass, as most of them are now in Indus controlled territory where the United Federation is less likely to find me. The war has led to an increase in smugglers and pirates sailing the sea of stars. Signing up with one of their crews should gain me a pass to most places around Earth orbit, as well as allow me to glean information as I work to gain more influence in space.

B. The criminal underworld seems to have been squeezed hard by the war, losing their control to more independent, active operators due to their institutionalized sloth. Even so, they still have an information network rivalling any state's, and though they have been caught flatfooted by the new world government, they should soon recover and begin extending their tendrils of influence. If I begin now, I can ensure that those tendrils are mine.

C. There are always all sorts of people who are against a world government, for one reason or another. Already resistance is rising in the more remote parts of Skane, whose people have had a strong independent streak for many millenia. It is these disaffected ones that I approach, building a power base of my own. Under my guidance I can utilize them as a distraction from my other activities, as well as steer them in a direction of my own choosing. After all, Kyrie has Skanish blood on her father's side...

D. The offer Shulgi made still stands – he did not prohibit me from taking a side-trip to Ankida, after all. I return to Higashi and meet up with Azo. I will gain a new identity, and by working within the world government I will be well placed to uncover its secrets and forge connections of my own. It will be difficult to hide my activities perfectly, but the benefits of having a network already in place instead of building it from scratch are tremendous.

E. I don't need resources to do what I can do - disguising myself under a moniker, I head forth to fight crime and help the weak. The despondent people of this world need a superhero, and I'm going to give it to them. Details? Who cares about the details, or how hard it is? A burning passion for justice and hot, raging blood in your veins is all you need!

F. I am not interested in doing anything else. I hide out somewhere in the countryside, doing nothing but watching the world act out its play. If Kyrie is alive and fine, that is good enough for me. I'm afraid that if I do anything, it will just put her in danger again. After these hectic, life-threatening months, I think I deserve a break. I never asked for any of this.

ScubaV

Prophet
B or D are probably our best bets for finding Kyrie again, but I can't resist the call of the black seas of space.

Yarrrrrr!

A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll be doing the next update in three days or so, or once discussion has tapered off, whichever comes first. This is a branching point that is highly important in influencing the flavour and character of the subsequent updates, as well as the power and resources you gain, whether personal or in an organization.

edit: You missed your last chance by not attempting to expose the Empress, and she successfully did a reverse-Palpatine. Of course, on the surface it seems simple, but there was a lot more leading to that; Kyrie's death was convenient but not mandatory. Heroically stopping the colony to the extent of severely injuring yourself meant that you missed out on it all.

Esquilax

Arcane
Working from inside the government seems to be the most intelligent way of going about things. Babs and Rose kept their jobs thanks to our discretion, and we would probably have dozens of potential contacts that are close to the Empress and possibly aware of Relius as well as the shadier side of the Empress' operations. Shulgi isn't the type of guy who takes shit personally, and I highly doubt that he even really cares that we left. There is a lot of stuff here that we can leverage to our advantage.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that most of the time I try to vote for the smart, in-character thing, being a Space-pirate/superhero/crime boss/terrorist is just way too fucking cool and I'm not sure that I can pass it up.

Batman it is.

Flopped to A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To be fair, option D could lead to you unlocking the Cyborg Ninja career path.

All of the paths have the possibility of, uh... 'wild and wacky' parts, some more so than others.

Baltika9

Arcane
So,
A- Rogue Trader.
B- The Kingpin/Don Corleone.
C- Anders Breivik.
D- Mr. 47.
E- Batman/Punisher.
F- Retired hero waiting for the call to action.

My gut tells me that F will have the optimal results, as distasteful as I find it, but I can go for anything except D. Debating between C and E, leaning to E because it will more likely han not develop our personal powers. But with all the weird shit going on in space, that may be worth it as well.

edit: You missed your last chance by not attempting to expose the Empress, and she successfully did a reverse-Palpatine. Of course, on the surface it seems simple, but there was a lot more leading to that; Kyrie's death was convenient but not mandatory. Heroically stopping the colony to the extent of severely injuring yourself meant that you missed out on it all.
Who cares about these governments? They are all temporary (although it was nice of her to do half the work for us), the Empire of Man shall come soon.

Esquilax

Arcane
What makes you so strongly against D, Baltika9? In fact, I think Julius gave us a hint at the Cyborg Ninja powers we could gain while working under Mr. Azo:

“Nah, not doable, Relius. I hear the Higashi are doing some pretty nifty things with cybernetics nowadays that could probably make things much more compact and smoother, but I'm an artist, y'know. Using machines just ruins the purity of the art.”

Seems pretty interesting, plus we still have Babs and Rose on the inside.

Baltika9

Arcane
Networks and cyborg parts are all well and good, but we'd still be be under Azo's and Shulgi's supervision, and hence control, doing their work until (if) we usurp his network. That, and we will be kept rather far away from the places of power by them. Until we know their motivations and what they are striving for, I am averse to working for them in any capacity. I'm also not all that interested in cyborgs, but in developing our natural powers.

That, and Rose and Babs will be beter utilized if we become Breivik, since that is the path that deals with politics.

I'll go ahead and put in my vote for E: the downtrotten and grateful shall be our powerbase; we shall become their nameless hero, their protector, let's see them arrest a hero of the people; that and I forsee it to be the path that will lead us to unlock more of our powers and give our boy a better feel of the world and a stronger moral compass. I'm a sucker for that.
Flopped to A

Baltika9

Arcane
Speaking of goals: in before Shulgi wanted the nuclear winter to wake Ean from his stupor, by forcing him to use up the excess energy, and to throw the world into chaos to allow him a window to seize power.
:troll:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
J_C__Denton_by_Illumonic.jpg

D

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, I would like some clarification on F: what exactly will we do, rebuild Yua, experiment with our powers, whore and booze around or just sit in our cottage? And how will Senya know when to come out of retirement? Will a certain someone finally realize that we're needed, or what?
Fom what we're given, it seems F is a rather lazy choice with no advantages.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Criminal boss vs Batman...Batman wins.​
Space pirate vs Government agent...Government agent wins.
Resistance fighter vs Lazy ass...Lazy ass wins.

I'm pondering between D,E or F. I think D would be best character-wise, offering most information about everything, F might mean new AI, improved mech designs and someone will most likely approach us with a job offer, while E is simply awesome

I think I'm going to go with D, because we chose ice earlier.

Zwist

Learned
As much as I want to become a international crime lord called "the Kalamari" there are things that a man needs to do.
We pretty much give up on Kyrie and on influencing things on Earth, but right now I don't care:
AAaarrrrhhhh!

Bloodshifter

Educated
F- Because at this point we are so low on the scale of power it doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Zwist I just wawtched what you placed I can't believe some one actually used Yamato for that Horrible song...

TOME

Cuckmaster General
treave, back in Book 1 Chapter 8, was there a path that would have led Ean devouring all the spheres? And if so, what would have happened next?

Esquilax

Arcane
What the fuck, bros? We can be Batman! The Goddamn Batman! And you fucks are throwing it away!

... Okay, I got nothin'. But still, creating our own superhero is just so fucking cool, how can you pass it up?

Esquilax

Arcane
batman is cool, but nanotechnology is better. we'll do what Ean couldn't: successfully become the Evermind

D

We should do something even cooler that Ean couldn't: successfully become Batman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom