Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Yeah I'm not seeing it either. Senya just isn't Shulgi. He is more like Ean (sacrificing himself and fighting for good) or Naram (saying 'FUCK IT' and screwing his sheeps AI girlfriend in wilderness space while increasing his powers).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
"A smart strategist knows when to take the initiative, when to wait for the enemy's move, and when to place himself as a piece on the board. There are times where you surprise the enemy with bold moves, and yet there are also times where you pretend to play to their expectations to turn the tables on them. Knowing when to feign recklessness and when to hold back are vital to camouflaging your true intentions. Mastery of tactics is desirable on the field, but without combining it with a long term strategy, a grand plan will be doomed to failure. The paucity of information is no excuse for the lack of a plan - though a good plan cannot answer for all eventualities, it should be able to offer a solution for the most crucial ones; those that dictate whether you meet victory or defeat.

Legend has it that the god Bel-Marduk once asked the Sage of War three questions, which illuminate the nature of strategy and the art of war.

How can I be victorious?
Know your enemy, and possess the will to act upon that knowledge.

How do I obtain knowledge of the enemy?
If information is scarce, create the opportunity to obtain more, through baits, feints and all manners of tactics. At the same time, be aware of what you are teaching the enemy, for knowledge flows two ways.

What if I cannot know a single thing about the enemy?
You cannot fight what you do not understand. Thus, do not engage."

~ Excerpt from the Military Precepts of Ean.

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol: Funny how that is the exact opposite of what Ean did. And look at the legacy he left behind. Naw, if there's one way for Senya to go, it's his, just a little less :retarded: this time around (we seem to be doing a stellar job so far
:troll:)
or Naram (saying 'FUCK IT' and screwing his sheeps AI girlfriend in wilderness space while increasing his powers).
Yua's dead, so I'm glad we dodged that bullet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You mean the legacy you guys just unwittingly (or perhaps on purpose, I can never truly tell) stamped all over by consistently 'doing what Ean would have done'?

:lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
:lol:Yep, that one.
However, while I can't speak for everyone, I personally chose what my votes of a deep sense of "Man, that's bullshit!" Killing the Emperor, dropping the colony, allowing the Kaguya-hime to sink just because we can't step up to the plate wasn't the type of shit I wanted happening. Well, that and I wanted some mega-glory to put us in a position to influence the world.

And, to be honest, if Ean walked the Earth right now, I think he'd tear the Empire down by himself. 'Sides, that's what being Ean is all about.
:troll:
Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather play a decent person with flaws, trying to do right by the world as much as he can because his moral compass works correctly, than a complete, raging dick, a-la Young Shulgi.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Updated the timeline. Might want to check it out and see what a month of being stuck in the boondocks has caused Senya to missed out on.

Baltika9

Arcane
The star of the battle, however, turned out to be the fighter veteran Major Vic Gradius Camna, who destroyed 10 CFs in an aerospace fighter. The media promptly nickname him the Framekiller.

Contact is lost with the Jupiter helium mining operation and its helium transport fleet. Stock prices drop.

Contact is re-established. The colony workers say that a storm on Jupiter affected their systems. Stock prices begin rising again.

A small UNS detachment of 4 cruisers vanishes near the vicinity of the Gate of Ean. Imperial forces currently occupying the Gate are mystified.
Shit's about to get real. The last thing we need right now is to cause a rebellion in the Empire, this war needs to be over quickly and if the Empire falls, the conflict will get protracted. That we cannot afford.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something's up in the solar system. Communications that fail and ships that mysteriously disappear. Too bad we're not up there to investigate. :M

Esquilax

Arcane
You mean the legacy you guys just unwittingly (or perhaps on purpose, I can never truly tell) stamped all over by consistently 'doing what Ean would have done'?

:lol:

The funny thing here is that way back during Ean's time in Egypt, even though he had that same moral compass, he was far more calculated in how he took risks than he was after. It was only after our last stand at Tjaru that we got it into our heads that doing insane things all the time without any regard for the circumstances or consequences was "what Ean would have done". I mean, look at what you said while we were in Sekhenun's Temple:

Well, it'd be ironic because Ean has rarely taken the fuck this shit I'm leaving and the balls to the walls oooh yeaaaaah approach. He's usually more measured and cautious in his actions, no?

The irony is crushing.

In hindsight, my biggest regret in the Ean saga was not joining up with Nabu to fight Marduk.

Baltika9

Arcane
You and me both. Nevertheless, there's still the matter at hand. It seems we are at a point where we need to choose etween 2B(love/morality) and 2C(Dio). 2A seems the middleroad that leads nowhere (friendship/touch hand and go home). Charactr-altering.

Esquilax

Arcane
You and me both. Nevertheless, there's still the matter at hand. It seems we are at a point where we need to choose etween 2B(love/morality) and 2C(Dio). 2A seems the middleroad that leads nowhere (friendship/touch hand and go home). Charactr-altering.

I am unconvinced that 2C will really help at all. I realize that they're all personality choices so in that way they're mostly about Senya's mindset, but still, it just seems really idiotic to come all the way over here for entirely emotional reasons, only to turn on a dime and start trying to pull some sort of Machiavellian scheme out of our ass. It's dumb, if we wanted to scheme, we wouldn't be here in the first place.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, to be fair, it's by no means a terrible idea. Hell, it's doable, but I don't want to fuck up the Empire's chances in the war and I want Senya to become a decent human being. Ergo, 2B. Like I said, 2A is too neutral and seems a waste of this trip.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, treave did say it was mostly about reasons and motivations and that this isn't necessarily the plan we'll get to carry out, as something may (which mens it most likely will) pop up. Senya came here for sentimental reasons and I'm choosing 2B for maximum sentimentality.

Although I mostly agree with your assessment of the situation, no one had the time to do any funky shit with her, like turn her into an automaton, that's plain retarded. But if Gallardo is here, they're planning something for the future. It very well may be that she'll be the new Saviour, since the plan with Rei backfired on them.
And it's also not implausible that the Cult has infiltrated the Empire and are leaving their Hiranyagharba schtick like rats a sinking ship.

By the way, BB is still leading 6-5 agains BA, Lambchop19 is supporting it in case his option is losing.

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh, what? No, not by any means. This isn't about "If I can't have her, then nobody can!" (and if it is, then the wording doesn't suggest it); it's about protecting her and her memory from whatever the fuck is going on here. Gallardo is probably here for a reason, otherwise he would be working on another project. So yeah, foul play is involved, on way or another. I'd rather keep her sfe than be sorry later.
The funny thing here is that way back during Ean's time in Egypt, even though he had that same moral compass, he was far more calculated in how he took risks than he was after. It was only after our last stand at Tjaru that we got it into our heads that doing insane things all the time without any regard for the circumstances or consequences was "what Ean would have done". I mean, look at what you said while we were in Sekhenun's Temple:

Well, it'd be ironic because Ean has rarely taken the fuck this shit I'm leaving and the balls to the walls oooh yeaaaaah approach. He's usually more measured and cautious in his actions, no?

The irony is crushing.
Haha, yes it is.
Oh God, what have I become?

Baltika9

Arcane
From Gallardo's paws, at the very least. And, no, our meeting doesn't guarantee his death, in fact it guarantees nothng except information. Chances are he's no texactly normal himself (that whole golem creation and control suggets otherwise) and he may not be walking around defenseless either.
Dude, we're dealing with superhuman cults that drop asteroids on planets, I don't want her to be in comfortable access for whatever reason.

Even in the unlikely event they'll want to pull av Savior with her, they already prepped her a p. Big personality cult.

Baltika9

Arcane
Because Senya, as a character, does.
[The fact is that he is somewhat attached to her
Characters and all that.
Besides, we don't want to make things too comfortable for Mommy (hers) Dearest, now do we? Not until we figure out what she's playing at, at least.

That, and I want his alingment to shift and 2A seems a neutral and indecisive choice.

Edit: and I also voted C for Emotional Engagement. I'll be damned if he'll just meekly touch her hand and sulk off to the shadows.
:troll:

Tigranes

Arcane
In a normal world, it might make pragmatic sense that we shouldn't risk our lives for a corpse, no matter whose corpse it is. After all, nobody can do any harm to the person, the person is dead, it's a corpse.

In Ean's world, and in the specific situation where a necromancer is given full access to the corpse, I have no idea why it's so hard to see that leaving the body there is a fucked up thing to do.

That doesn't mean 2A isn't a good option, though I haven't really seen arguments for what is positive about it, only that 2B may be risky. I feel 2B's risks are sufficiently mitigated if we wait and confront Gallardo, as we will (1) have information, and (2) be able to kill him into pieces in a flash if necessary.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Bloodshifter, you missed my vote for BB.
so I did...
Tally coming in...​
AA-0-
AB-2- TOME , Stygian Lurker ,
AC-0-
BA-5- Zwist , Smashing Axe , m4davis , root , Esquilax ,
BB-6- Baltika9 , Rex Feral , aleam iacis , Tigranes , ScubaV , Lambchop19(Damned Floater)
BC-4- Lambchop19(flops to BB in event of Tie?) , Kipeci , Azira , Storyfag ,

Incase anyone is wondering Senya isn't a Touchy Feeling Guy we did lose our AI Companion yet not once has he said anything regarding her AND we have made Senya quite the err... okay we turned him into a Shulgi/Dio Hybrid who somehow still turned out into a Douche.

Baltika9

Arcane

The irony is crushing.
I actually meant something else: Ean wasn't so much about "maximum fuuuu-", as he was about loyalty, honor, standing up for the little guy and, most importantly, defiance in the face of great odds.

I mean, here there was, a simple man in the New York City of his time. He grew up on the streets, enlisted in the army and got lucky with a nice position in Sargon's personal guard. Didn't care much for politics or high titles; wenching, boozing and work were enough for him. Things were looking up.

And suddenly the man got superpowers: instead of letting it get to his head, he kept to his word and duty, and supported the man that gave him everything, even though he could've taken over any time he wanted to (with his powers, could anyone really stop him from pulling a Shulgi and cosplaying a God?). So, yes, the man knew honor, humility, loyalty and gratitude. Sadly, Sargon was a bitter, juvenile prick and decided that attempting to kill the biggest badass around was a good idea; he mistook kindness for weakness.

And so, here he was, the ruler of the mightiest state in the world. And whenever Ean was in power, his chief concerns weren't warfare and aggression, but diplomacy, education and economics (personally, I think we neglected warfare a bit too much and are now paying the price for that); not to say he wasn't a kickass general, but he was much more interested in improving the lot of the common folk than throwing them into pointless wars for territory.

And he demonstrated these qualities again with Astarth: he was concerned enough not to sacrifice the common people of Memphis, humble enough to know that his pride and reputation were not worth it, and bowed his knee in front of a mortal and honorable enough not to kill his new liege after the threat passed.
and Sekhenun's Temple(in my opinion, this is the choice that best defines Ean): again, he was concerned enough not to massacre innocent people, cunning enough to plan a sneak attack, loyal, humble and selfless to have placed the lives of his companions before his own when they were captured, honorable enough to have kept his word to Sekhenun, even the unspoken part that he will let her/it go freely(and his deal with her/it to stop eating humans was again a sign of concern; and a nice touch, too) and defiant enough to flip Horus-Re and Naram off by breaking and stomping on the scepter.

Now, a word on his defiance: he never took the easy way out and never tired of fighting against the forces that would treat others as playthings and his principles. Hell, he even took a detour to Egypt to save it from Ares and then doubled-back to Olympus to take down the biggest assholes on this planet. So, yeah, in a sense Ean was a freedom fighter, aka terrorist. Instead of making this an unbearably long and pointless wall-of-text, I think this summarises him best:

That's what I meant by wanting Senya be more like Ean. I think defining his relationship with Kyrie as love will take us a step closer to that, because this is the type of person that will be needed right now, there are far too many plotters and schemers and not enough Eans.

Edit: in other words, I want Senya to be a dick just like Ean was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom