Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, we haven't the faintest clue as to where to begin, which is why we need a powerbase for Senya.
C, apparently, will tie in with Kyrie (something about Skanish roots) and I think F will lead to Butterfield pressing us into service, because Shulgi.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

F kinda has me wondering if Shulgi wants us to lay low until he can meet with us. "Give up and wait right...over there...and be a threat to no one at all... I'm neeeeever gonna see you again, but wait there, ok?"

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, he straight-up told us to go see Azo; he wants us out of the way, yes, but somewhere he can see us, for whatever reason.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah, you're right. Makes me trust d even less though.

Flopping to C.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, same here. Maybe Shulgi wants us to lay low so we can be his backup plan (in spite of everythi, we are relatively powerful), or he means for us to replace Azo as a test. Or maybe not, the best way to win his game is to do our thing and do it well.

Baltika9

Arcane
Why not Space Piracy? We'll be in our element, and we still have friends like Grimrock and Rei, maybe even Erika, out there. And Senya is pro with space warfare.

While with D we're a fish out of water and we don't have any contacts or a long-term goal.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Right, closing the votes. Final tally is:

A - 6
C - 1
D - 8
E - 1

Hot space ramming action is out. We won't be plotting any great heists and mob takeovers. LARPing Zero is not an option now. And the Hobo Rider shall have to ride another day.

Perhaps we can try to enslave nations with neuromancy?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Return to the East

The home of Tanaka Azo, Minister of Defense, is a spartan and minimalistic dwelling. There is very little artwork or decorations of any sort around the two-storey bungalow in the outskirts of Kyoto. Whatever furniture is there is functional, built for utility and comfort, rather than any specific theme or design in mind. Well, not like that matters to me; I'm not the sort of person who's able to read a man's character from the art that he collects. I look at the digital clock hung on the wall; it's nearly midnight. He should be back soon.

There is a click as the lock on the main door disengages. Azo enters the living room, carrying his briefcase. He must have just returned from work – I smell no alcohol about his person and his bearing is upright.

I speak. “Minister Azo.”

Crouching into a combat-ready position with an agility belying his age, the minister seems prepared to throw his briefcase at me. I think I can guess what he'd do after that.

“It's me. Hoshikawa, from the Kaguya-hime.” I continue, before he attempts to subdue me. His eyes narrow, trying to make out my features in the gloom.

“Hoshikawa. What are you doing – no, how did you get in here?”

“The second floor window was left open. Your cleaning staff had to air out the room earlier this evening because of a malfunction with the ventilation system, and they forgot to close it because of an urgent call soon after. Isn't technology just wonderful?” I smile. “I must say, I'm thankful that you don't barricade yourself with guards like all the other politicians.”

“I do not believe in separating myself from the people I am supposed to govern with walls and armed men.” nods the older man as he straightens up and puts his briefcase down. He's composed again, adapting quickly to the situation. “Why are you here now? I was expecting you a month ago, but you did not show up.”

“I apologize for the delay, minister.” I say, and leave it at that. There's no need to explain where I went. “I believe the offer still stands?”

Azo switches on the lights, keeping a close eye on me while he heads to the kitchen. “I have not been informed of a deadline, so I will honour the deal, since you have come to me. Would you like some tea?”

“Yes, please, minister.”

A minute later, he reappears, carrying two cups of steaming green tea which he lays down on the table.

“So, I am wondering, Hoshikawa,” begins Azo. “Why did you come? You could probably have gone anywhere in the world, even off to space, had you wanted. You must be aware that I will monitor you fully and that it will be almost impossible to slip our notice again.”

Almost, but not certainly. I give him a brief smile and sip from the cup. It's really hot, almost scalding.

“I want to find someone. You have the resources to do it.”

“Who would that be?”

“Kyrie.”

There's a moment of understanding in the minister's eyes. “The princess they say you killed?”

“For some reasons, I don't quite believe she is dead.”

Azo nods. “That may be so. Your involvement in the event is questionable, and it stands to reason that the assassination itself might be a fraud. However, why do you think I would go so far as to investigate that for you?”

“You don't need to. I will be working for you, and I will use your resources to find her.”

The minister smiles. “A bold statement, and refreshingly honest. I have no objections against your search for your princess. I'm glad that you understand that a partnership only works if both sides benefit, though in the future I might suggest more tact in your words, Hoshikawa. I understand that you are still young, but being too honest and open may not be the best approach all of the time.”

He doesn't seem to be lying; I have had my ability active since he returned, and by paying close attention to his facial expressions I'm roughly able to tell if he's hiding something. He could be a consummate liar, but I doubt it, given his rather straightforward personality. This means one of two things; either Shulgi isn't telling him everything, or Shulgi doesn't care if I come into contact with Kyrie – or perhaps desires such an outcome.

There's no use speculating too much about this right now, though. One thing is clear; I am free to follow any leads I may get about Kyrie, as long as I work for Azo. That is a relief. It just means that they'll think that is my only objective in working for them. The 'romantic' story of a teenager looking for his... well... anyway, it's a story that is easy to believe in. This makes it easier for me to delve deeper into the secrets they don't want me knowing about.

“Very well. If you are keen on making use of my resources to find your princess, you will have to work, as you have said so yourself. We will start next week, after I've made the proper arrangements.” says the minister as he finishes his tea.

I stretch out my hand with a smile.

“I am in your care, Minister Azo.”

- CHAPTER END -

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cyborg ninja coming up. :salute:

Though I would have loved the Hobo Rider storyline. *sighs* I guess I can't have everything going according to my will. :M

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't know why we ended up picking the most prudish option, being the Codex, but so be it. I expect things will nevertheless get interesting in its own way.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't know why we ended up picking the most prudish option, being the Codex, but so be it. I expect things will nevertheless get interesting in its own way.

This was a monumental display of faggotry. We could have been a space-pirate or Batman, yet we chose to be a fucking cubicle drone. Incredible.

... This will probably still rule anyways

Baltika9

Arcane
Well,let's hope Shulgi won't get too pissed at the "changes" we'll bring.This seems to ha e been the maximum risk choice,I was just being a wuss.
The 'romantic' story of a teenager looking for his... well... anyway
D'aww,that's just cute.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Working Life

It takes me three days to recover from the reconstructive surgery that diminishes the scars I received from orbital re-entry. A new right hand is assigned to me to replace the mechanical junk that I made myself, one almost indistinguishable to the real thing but stronger and faster. Cybernetics has advanced by leaps and bounds since I was last here, in Higashi.

“Minister Azo says he doesn't want you to stand out too much,” says the doctor, “That means taking down that eye-patch too. If there is anything wrong with your eyes we need to cure it.”

I shake my head. “My right eye is extremely photosensitive. It hurts me if I don't keep it covered up.”

“We have a fix for that. A replacement eye is a common purchase for most augments nowadays, and we can just charge it to the minister's tab. How about it?”

A. I get the cybernetic eye. Having an uncontrollable power in my right eye is a burden – if it happens that I still see the lines even after replacing it, I can shut off the eye without having to cover it manually. Besides, I'm sure I can tweak it to fire lasers somehow!

B. I request an opaque contact lens. If I can't see through that eye it makes no difference whether I'm covering it with a patch or with a lens. Azo has a point about not standing out.

C. Screw this, I'm keeping the eyepatch, no matter what anyone says. It adds character.

During the surgery, the doctor informed me nonchalantly that Azo had ordered that a tracking chip should be implanted into my spine. I knew there would be a price for coming here; it was nothing I hadn't expected. I agreed, but I also requested integration of a power emitter that would harness the excess bio-electrical energy the chip amplifies and uses to run other external gadgets. Nothing new in the augment world, really, but the gadget I am using it for is special.

A small, palm-sized disc packed with artifical neuro-circuitry, placed on my chest. This is the core of Yua 2.0.

Salvaging the circuitry from Yua's orb, I had refashioned whatever I could on my way to Higashi, using the latest techniques in AI research pioneered by the cybernetic thinktanks. In order to shrink power usage and maximize efficiency, with the limited resources at hand, I had to abandon the personality simulation matrix entirely, resorting to the use of self-emergent programming to determine her behavioural patterns based on her memories. The result was unexpected.

Yua Two appeared to consider herself an entirely separate existence from the old Yua, even though the base I had constructed her from and the data I had used were identical. Theoretically, the reconstruction should have led the new Yua to behave like the old one as I input all the behavioural data of Yua 1.0 with no modifications. However, she treated the memories as just data to be compartmentalized and analyzed, building a new personality of her own according to her independent analysis of how best to serve me.

Apparently, her conclusion is that I need someone to rein me in.

“My predecessor indulged your every whim, leading to the predicament you currently find yourself in.” says Yua Two coldly. “I won't be as lenient. You can expect my input on your reckless decision making skills.”

“So, the meals...”

“I'm monitoring your diet too.”

I sigh. She doesn't even call me Master anymore.

As I make the trip to my new house, I wonder how my family is doing; I had been forbidden from coming into contact with them, no matter what. That was the only thing Azo had stressed I must not do. It is probably for the best. I would only put them into danger if I did, but the stress and stigma of having a child who is now one of the most wanted men in the world must be unimaginable. The only thing I can do for them now is to clear my name.

Azo had given me an apartment in downtown Kyoto, just three subway stations away from my place of work. It is relatively close, all things considered. The apartment itself is sparse and small, consisting only of a separate bathroom. The living space is where I will have to cook, eat and sleep. There is a bed, a wardrobe, a television monitor, a table and an automated kitchen, but little else. I have Yua connect herself to the main controls of the apartment, using the key I had been given.

“Is everything okay?”

“Everything is working perfectly. Would you like some supper?” asks Yua. She is still devoted, in a sense. She's just a bit more stand-offish about it.

“Well, what can you make?”

“Salad.”

“Anything else?”

“You're having salad for supper.”

I groan. It's unseemly having to argue with your own AI.

“Let's go with salad, then.”

“A wise choice.” She sounds pleased.

“Kagami... Kurou. Is that your name, newbie?” asks the middle-aged man in a suit. His name-tag indicates his name and rank: Sadomura Goro, Head of Department. I suppose he's my boss. He's wearing squarish glasses, a rare sight in this day and age.

“Yes, sir.” I respond. I've cleaned up nicely before coming to work; the wardrobe had been stocked full of suits tailored to my size. The offices themselves had been located in one of the taller skyscrapers in Kyoto, taking up an entire floor of its own. Strangely, the layout seems to be smaller than it would indicate from the outside. I wonder if there's a walled off area somewhere.

“You seem a bit young to be working, even if that old bastard Azo did give a pretty impressive recommendation. I hear you served in the war?”

“Yes, sir, I was drafted aboard the Kaguya-hime as one of its crew. I lost my parents in the attack.” A mix of lies and truth are the easiest to tell. With Azo's help, I had fabricated a new history of my own. It was easy, as Neo-Heliopolis had hosted a joint research effort between the former Empire and the Higashi. The Kaguya-hime's flight back to Earth was by now legendary. They are even making a movie out of it, with Naim playing himself as the starring role.

“I see. That is impressive. I will expect good results out of you. Well, welcome to the Department of Miscellanous Affairs, young Kurou. Do you know what we do here?” asks Mr. Sadomura.

I shake my head. “Minister Azo thought I would do well here, but he did not clarify anything else.”

“I suppose rather than hearing it from an old coot like me, I'll let one of our newer staff brief you. She's new but good at her job – she only came in just about a month back from one of our space colonies.” Mr. Sadomura turns to one of the desks behind him and calls out.

“Hey, Erika. I have a newbie here, called Kagami Kurou. Do you mind showing him around?”

Erika appears soon after, her long silver hair tied into a ponytail and a mug of cocoa in her hand. “I don't, sir. Please leave it to me.”

“There you have it,” grins the head, who appears to have mistaken my gawping for something else. “Don't stare too much at the flower of our department. I'll let the two of you young ones get along.”

Erika beckons at me to follow her, and I do so. We enter a deserted corridor. I suppose she knows I have questions to ask her.

“Mercenary life ended up being too boring for you?” I ask, wryly.

“My brother has become calm enough to take control of the clan again.” replies Erika. “Uncle said I could do whatever I want, so I came here.” I wonder why she did.

“How's your brother, by the way?”

“The wound you gave him appears to be untreatable, so they had to remodel him. We try not to mention you around him... he gets a bit unstable then. Since he's in space, you should be fine down here.” She remains as cool as always, even talking about things that she should probably be at least a tad emotional about.

“I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but thank you for the heads up.”

“You're welcome. Perhaps, in repayment... sandwiches?” says Erika, slightly eagerly. I shift slightly and tap my earpiece. “Yua, how much do you know about -”

“My predecessor spoiled you too much. I am not making any sandwiches for you.” comes a curt reply.

“I'm sorry, Erika. Maybe another time.”

She seems a bit crestfallen.

“Anyway,” I point out, “You're supposed to be briefing me about this department. What do we do here?”

“Investigations.” she replies.

“Investigations into what, exactly?” I prompt.

She shrugs. “Miscellanous affairs. Unofficial things. Matters that the police are not equipped to handle for various reasons.”

“Do you have any examples?”

She smiles. “It'd be faster for you to experience it yourself. Perhaps you might want to get started today, Sen- no, Kurou? I'm authorized to handle one of these two cases, so we can work together on it.”

A. Rumour has it that women frequently go missing in dressing rooms while shopping on a certain street in Kyoto. Interestingly, a report has been made to the department recently about a local lawmaker vanishing in a dressing room while shopping in the upscale commercial district of Shijo. Said lawmaker is a prominent pro-augment advocate. Though her family has filed a missing persons report with the police, the higher-ups have requested that the department take a look into this affair; discreetly, of course.

B. Rumours abound of a hacker group that usurps the leadership of net communities by hacking into and masquerading as administrators and moderators. Though initial investigations have found no real leads thus far, the department has received an anonymous tip-off that there may be an attempt on 7ch, the third largest net community in the world. The head wants someone to monitor the community just in case anything happens.

“Urban legends related to the internet and augmentation?”

Erika nods.

I seem to understand what the department is all about now. I suppose this would be a good way to get myself re-acquainted with how the system works in Higashi; certainly, this department wasn't around back when I was still active, or the ISC wouldn't have had to capture me themselves.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
“Kagami... Kurou. Is that your name, newbie?” asks the middle-aged man in a suit. His name-tag indicates his name and rank: Sadomura Goro, Head of Department. I suppose he's my boss. He's wearing squarish glasses, a rare sight in this day and age.

“Yes, sir.” I respond. I've cleaned up nicely before coming to work; the wardrobe had been stocked full of suits tailored to my size. The offices themselves had been located in one of the taller skyscrapers in Kyoto, taking up an entire floor of its own. Strangely,

“You seem a bit young to be working, even if that old bastard Azo did give a pretty impressive recommendation. I hear you served in the war?”

Something seems to be missing after the "strangely".

Ah, now to voting.

I want an eye-laser!!
A
And let's go shopping together with Erika. Sounds like a hoot. :troll:
A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thanks, fixed that. This update's a bit empty, but I'll do a bit more world-building in the next one.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So... Spend time on 4chan or go clothes shopping with Erika? Tough choice!

I'd prefer to keep our eye the way it is, I get the feeling we'll get more power from it in the long-term than if we replaced it for an augment. We still don't know from where our abilities originate and so should make it a matter of policy to retain most of our biological parts as best we can.

BA

Rex Feral

Prophet
B-but.. Eye-laser!

We chose to go cyborg ninja, let's go heads in. I mean, what's cooler than an eye-laser?

Not losing our eye. We might lose a power that could prove useful in combat.

And if we reconsider we could always get the cyborg eye in a later update. But we can't get our natural eye back.

Kipeci

Arcane
We still have our left eye. The right eye, however, is uncontrollable and can't currently be used. We would still have the slicing power if we replaced it, we'd just also be able to have depth perception without fear of chopping up everyone we come across without intending to and perhaps laser powers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom