Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I'll go with BA.

^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    BA

^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    B-but.. Eye-laser!

We chose to go cyborg ninja, let's go heads in. I mean, what's cooler than an eye-laser?

^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    AA

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Not losing our eye. We might lose a power that could prove useful in combat.

And if we reconsider we could always get the cyborg eye in a later update. But we can't get our natural eye back.

^ Top  
  6. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    We still have our left eye. The right eye, however, is uncontrollable and can't currently be used. We would still have the slicing power if we replaced it, we'd just also be able to have depth perception without fear of chopping up everyone we come across without intending to and perhaps laser powers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Eye patch would be easier to remove in combat but Azo is right, it stands out. BAndwagon it is.

Edit: Kipeci, the right eye works without having to worry about burning through the bullet time. We can always get a augment later if we want, but we can't get our eye back later if we go with the augment now.

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Seeing as how the preview for D suggests we'll go up against people habitually taking over cybernetic hardware of other people, I believe it is prudent to not get excessively augmented ourselves. Therefore, the cybernetic eye is a bad idea.

^ Top  
  10. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    We are already pretty augmented, I don't think an eye will make that much of a difference to whomever we go up against. And as much as I'd like to look like Garret, it's something we can decide later if our natural eye proves troublesome.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    BA, as sad as I am to see the eyepatch go, we're Jason Bourne'ing here, best not to stand out too much. That, and I'm not signing up for any redundant augments, that may just give our "benefactors" another way to control us.

Say, treave, can Yua 2.0 directly interfere with our decisions and actions at this point?
    Edit: and do we still have that text-game Shulgi gave us?
    And an off-topic question: since the ex-Shinar Empire seemed to have a strong naval tradition, a-la British Empire, I am assuming that they also have an above-average Marine tradition, in their original sense of amphibious troops/ship guards, a-la British Royal Marines.

^ Top  
  12. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    Maybe it's just me, but I think that things such as being able to see in 3D (driving or something might be nice to be able to do, yeah?) and lasers might be more helpful on a regular basis than being able to access a power that we already only use extremely rarely without going into a state that we need to practice more with, anyway.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    She can't, and you lost the game's data back on the Kaguya-hime. The Shinar don't have a strong naval tradition. They're a land-based power.

^ Top  
  14. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    BA Deus Ex here we come, oh and we should start looking into some type of power armor just in case.

^ Top  
  15. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Too bad about the game. Were we ever supposed to finish it I wonder?

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flopping to CA, since I don't see a one good reason why we should abandon the eyepatch: if the enemies start recognizing us, we're doing it wrong anyway; it's easier to remove it in combat; and, finally, it will net us a good +intimidation bonus agains basement-dwelling hackers and punk-ass scientists. Not a damned reason we should take it off, the hard-ass rep is just a bonus.
    To be fair, I don't think Shulgi will ever give it to us again; "Like you need more encouragement."

^ Top  
  17. BA - don't trust the augment tech that close to our brain. Remember the preview about pople being hacked through their eyes?
    treave, will the contact lens keep us from slicing things in half?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It works to block off your sight just like an eye patch would, so you effectively can't see anything with it.

^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I could see a major downside with the contact lens that isn't there with the eyepatch - if the shit hits the fan, we can take off our eyepatch much easier than we can a contact lens. Then again, the whole point of having the lens in the first place is to keep a low profile and hopefully enhance our natural abilities instead of just buying an augmentation that could turn any random dickhead into a superhero.

treave: is the eye augmentation an obvious one? Would someone be able to tell that it's artificial in any way? I'm wondering whether it would arouse suspicion or not.

^ Top  
  20. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Perhaps treave will take authorial license to add some C&C, but when I wore contacts it was super quick and easy to take them out. Granted, not as fast as flipping an eye patch, but not more than a couple seconds.

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Heh, I have glasses that are of a pretty low prescription, so I have never really needed to wear contacts for sports or anything, and as a result I never bothered with getting them.

Could also be that 1C is just a very shitty choice with little upside. I mean, that's what it seems like - it'll just piss off our superiors and make us look completely obvious. Hard to see any positives here.

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The cybernetic eye would look a bit unnatural, particularly since it's a lone eye instead of replacing both, but augments are pretty popular amongst those who can afford it, and people will think you're just some rich kid with money to blow.

Contacts can be quick to remove, though doing so with your cybernetic hand might be a bit hard. You're not going to need to spend a minute fiddling with it, though. I'm thinking that the eye-patch/lens only comes off when stereoscopic vision becomes vital and the risk of his power going out of control is minimized (i.e. in a deserted street with Shulgi where there can be little collateral damage). You certainly don't need to remove it to use the ability to see lines in your left eye.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, remember how the soldiers and common folk respected Dio for his rough appearance after Skane? I figure the same may apply here, with the less savory characters we may find ourselves dealing with; that, and we'll be able to pass some serious [Intimidation] tests, if I am correct. Is that what you meant by "it adds character," treave?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, a patch makes you memorable and people will remember your actions, be it good or bad. It's easier to build a reputation.

^ Top  
  25. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    AB. I'm not interested in finding out about anti-augmentation terrorist groups, though the idea of the traditional female cop bait with Erika is fun.

Even if the cybernetic eye makes anti-augmentation groups not like us, or even makes us vulnerable to neural hacking and emp grenades... I still want it! It would be unfortunate if we lost our power ability with it, but that's hardly certain, is it?

And maybe we can use Yua better with this, or get some special telescopic sight or easier wireless feed/hacking into things. I'm sure treave wouldn't offer us an upgrade that was totally useless. Probably.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.