Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't want to look for the exact quote, but basically the gist of it was this: for a Master to manifest in our dimension, it needs to displace sentient lives to make its transition between dimensions possible. The more human beings are "displaced" (i.e. killed), the closer the Master is to the original power that it has on home turf. The monsters were probably a product of interplanar meddling by Naram-Master in its effort to become a god among gods. Not sure about the last one though.

As for the choice itself, yeah, we have to be careful about metagaming leading us astray. It's easy to come to some pretty wild and inaccurate conclusions that way, and I'm worried that might be the case here. I think it's important to keep in mind that just because there might not be an obvious esoteric link between the CF's in the choice in A, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. After all, I hardly think any of us expected busting a kidnapping ring to turn into an interdimensional cultist clusterfuck.

A does seem like an obvious opportunity for a lot of useful contacts and probably clues to Kyrie's whereabouts from people in the criminal underworld.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, he needed to prepare the world to turn into a sphere. For that he needed to construct his palace, which served as a focal point. The labourers were sacrificed for that. Nah, was being tongue in cheek about the writing. It's pretty clear as to what happened, but why exactly might be less obvious.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Why do we want criminals on our side over a public figure, though (and what makes you think they know of Kyrie's whereabouts?), if we'll be going into straight-laced politics later on (Imperial Confederacy of Man, forwards! "Emperor in name only," suckers), we'll need all the political favors we can get. If we wanted to life a life of crime, then we should have chosen the Tom Hagen option, too late for that now, we either snitch them out and confiscate the goods, or bring their house down and confiscate the goods.

Considering that we're leaning towards the esoteric, why would we need their augments? Although appropriating the CFs for our future cultist death squads is an interesting option.

And I think B is the slow and quiet option that will turn into "oh goddammit"

^ Top  
  4. Senya's butchery is all cuz we picked the gieloth book, isn't it?

Also, guys, B just leads to:
    1. Us getting seen on TV and exposed.
    2. Us getting so knee deep in this cyber-jack BS that we can't see the big picture (again) and get screwed over because of it (again).

Don't forget that our goal is to secretly built our contacts and connection so we can find out about the big picture - not to mention Kyrie. Investigating the disappearances was a good start at gaining perspective. We have the eye-crested book (gieloth), we learned how to shatter people all at once, we gained a valuable cultist ally, and we now know about the mirror world and have a way to travel there at will (We kept the rod that works - right, treave?). A will give us even more contacts so we can find out what really is going on in this world and possibly more tools to fight with (combat frame? illegal cyber weapons? who knows).

We got into this mess (and allowed the downfall of the oldest monarchy on the planet) by trying to be the hero at every opportunity. Let's go for the option that gives us some perspective this time, rather than hollow praise that will doubtless cease once we are inevitably betrayed by our government "allies". Again.

Besides, do we really give a damn if more japanese than usual kill themselves?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, B will have CFs too. Naim needs stunt pilots to beat up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. aleam iacis Scholar

aleam iacis
    Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
    Baltika, I think a CF could take most Gieloth's and most immortals. Most powers are not directly super effective. The only time Ean really used as much force as we could get regularly piloting a CF were where at Tjaru (or one of those battlegrounds) where he crushed one Gieloth into a pulpy ball and was terribly weakened, and then when he hit a fault line to get rid of another and lost his powers for a few decades(would have been centuries except for Sekhenun/voices).

Ean was strong because he was a good warrior, a good leader, and used his powers to maximum tactical effect. Without his sekh-blade or part of Vajra even at his peak strength, I doubt he could beat a decently well piloted (Jean level, let's say) CF in open combat unless he made excellent use of the terrain and his tactical abilities to hit a weak point or overused one his abilities (energy spear/telekinesis) to the point of collapse/exhaustion. So a different immortal of his age/strength would likely fail, since Ean was both one of the most powerful and an expert at battle.

^ Top  
  7. Eh, high-level telekinesis could rip off a cf's jets or plain crush it into a ball of scrap. Shooting fireballs, hurling boulders, lighting ala Nabu. Ean wasn't very creative with the use of his powers til the end.

Moot point since it looks like cfs will be in store either way. The real retarded thing is thinking a celebrity will be a more useful ally than a massive smuggling organization loaded with weapons, tech, and probably high-level connections if they're able to smuggle entire CFs.

Whatever. Codex gonna codex. :retarded:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Never underestimate the power of song. :desu:

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That seals the deal, Baby! Let's see if we can guilt-trip him into being useful, or revealing something useful. In any event, telling him that Kyrie is actually alive is bound to have some interesting effects.
    You are neglecting the fact that her value isn't only that of a movie star, but that of a socialite. If we can get in good with her and protect her long enough to get famous, we can start using her as a means to get in good with the big wigs of he world.
    You are also assuming these smugglers will fall in line behind a government agent, instead of just shooting him on the spot once they find put he's a snitch/is trying to take them down.

I agree with you about the CFs, though, and treave did tease us with this bit
    Shame we'll never see that now. On the other hand, we'll hopefully get to polymorph into a Giant Space Kraken and have fun that way.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No Earth immortal back in the old Empire era could have taken a CF head on except Shulgi and Tree Ean. Just not powerful enough.

^ Top  
  11. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Was this before Ean jumped into the rift? Shulgi being more powerful than him comes as a bit of a suprise.

Edit: Ah, you meant in Chapter 8, I'm assuming. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Sorry, clarified. Too much wasted time in slumber. After absorbing the Tree, yeah, but he hasn't grown much in power compared to Shulgi before that.

^ Top  
  13. Interesting effects. Like him telling the empress where we are? Never underestimate the level of non-bro Theseus 2 has in him. He's probably worse now after all this false hero shit. Up his own ass just to live with himself, I'd imagine. Maybe I'm wrong though... Maybe he'll turn out to be our staunch defender and will stick his neck out just to save us and Kyrie. Yeah...
    "Could have" maybe. "Would have"? treave, treave, treave...:roll:

edit: I'm all for baltika's space kraken plan though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You know, bros, something tells me that, mechs or no mechs, we don't stand a chance in a direct fight with the Masters. They had untold millennia to build their technology, we had about six thousand years. With all the tricks and powers they have up their sleeves, any serious invasion attemp for them would be laughably simple.

Our best hope is to prevent them from getting a chance for a solid foothold in our world in the first place. At least, that's my take on it. I do wonder why they have such a strange obsession, almost a fetish, with our world.
    Edit:
    :lol: I'm not that naive. He loves Kyrie, or at least has a crush on her, and if the Empress lied to him about her fate, he'll begin to have doubts... doubts that we can exploit.
    Besides, he doesn't hate us, otherwise why would he allow us to get away without a fight, when he had two fully battle-ready battleships nearby?

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    See, that's the problem with meta-knowledge. :lol:

Why do you think they're still concerned with Earth beyond considering it a niggling irritation that they managed to misplace a planet somewhere?

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh you dirty little troll, you. Write in all these allusions and play on my fears of the Masters. And in the end, it turns out they had very little, or nothing to do with this, just the Illuminati up to their usual NWO agenda. Classic!
    :lol:

Edit: although I still wouldn't piss them off or give them any openings.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, I'm sure that you guys already did something to attract their attention anyway.

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, I've flopped to A. I think that while speculation is alright, we need to at least base it on something concrete or plausible. I don't think that ignoring this Cyber Jack guy is wise, and if we vote for A, that will be the second time that we've ignored a growing threat. On the other hand, the possible advantages in terms of criminal connections and possible leads on Kyrie is a serious advantage that would be hard to pass up.

So if you're voting, base it on something like that instead of some wacky theory about some vague connection to the Masters that might be horribly wrong. That being said, I do think that there is more to B than meets the eye as well.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That gives me an idea:

Diogenes Pictures and Dimension Studios
    Produly Present

"DUDE, WHERE'S MY PLANET!?"

After losing contact with a frontier reality, the hyper-advanced being known only as the Masters, decide to send a detachment of elite agents to one of their last Control Worlds, to reclaim the lost relics and evetually re-establish control. Things did not go as planned, however, as the newly-minted Immortals realized that they owe nothing to their "benefactors" and could, in fact, subvert the strange powers to their ends and fight back against their inter-dimensional opressors.

Too late did the Masters realize that they fucked with the wrong planet.

Starring
    A younger Clint Eastwood, as Ean
    Sir Sean Connery, as Shulgi
    Al Pacino, as Diogenes Camna
    Toshiro Mifune, as Senya Hoshikawa
    Liam Neeson, as Naram
    The Dude, as Edem
    Brad Pitt, as Marduk

Also Starring
    Arnold Schwarzenegger, as Ares
    Jennifer Connelly, as Sekhenun Me'kras
    Scarlett Johansson, as Artemis
    Angelina Jolie, as Athena
    Audrey Hepburn, as Kyrie Francesca de Shinar
    Barbara Streisand, as Julia Canaria de Shinar
    BLOBERT, as The Great Idea

...And Zeus, as Himself​

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Funnily enough, just this once I'm not voting based on theories: this idol can be a very useful back-door into the social elite if we build a good relationship with her and her fellow socialites; Naim will be present, allowing us to work our magic and either bend him to our purpose with truth, or milk him for information one way or another (yes, Senya is intelligent enough to do that and not get caught).

And I'm not saying this hacker fellow is connected to the Masters, although it is possible, I am saying that he is one dangerous motherfucker: we neglect him for an update and he stages a mass-suicide of ten-thousand people, so his involvement here troubles me greatly (he's like what Senya would have become had we stuck to his wangsty cyber-terrorist begginings), especially since it's an actress scheduled to debut in the great propaganda film of the century. No, something big is up with this guy. I don't know what, but we'd better find out ASAP.
    I also completely fail to see how these low-ranked smugglers will know much, if anything at all, about Kyrie.

And, last but not least, we already acquired resources over the last four updates, so we'd better build some connections and hop onto this Cyber Jack case while we still can.

^ Top  
  21. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B - I like the idea of subverting Naim to our side. You want contacts? He has the resources to help us track down Kyrie.

^ Top  
  22. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    B

^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Senya has a dark side. His sister already said as much. The Lothal plan? All Senya, from before his coma stuff.

And the voice he heard in the previous update? His old self starting to resurface. Soon, we'll have a proper split-personality protagonist. Jekyll/Hyde thing.
    Yeah.

^ Top  
  24. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Alright, since treave shot down the "mass suicide as gate to Master summoning" theory I'm flopping back to A like I always wanted.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Hmm, maybe we can use our positive deeds (all of our "hero" moments) and emotions (the power of True Love!) to either overcome our psychotic younger self, or come to terms and make peace with it (after all, what can drive a child to be such psychopath?), but I don't fancy turning into a villain, because "lol, evulz."
    As for the name of the group, " Black Ice," maybe?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.