Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    BB

We already have access to much of the information that we will gain sooner or later, and with the three gieloths dead, we have that luxury of time, surely. What we need to do is not risk any more comas and use this key victory to our advantage in Egypt, doing what we failed to do in Assyria.

^ Top  
  2. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    A
    C

We technically keep our word that way while leaving the door open to future prospects from her in exchange for her freedom.

^ Top  
  3. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    A
    C

We done goofed with the staff and unnecesarilly enraged the only other immortal we know of who hadn't despised us, but this is still salvageable.

^ Top  
  4. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    AD

She has been reasonable with us, we will be reasonable with her.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'm pretty :smug: about Ean snuffing Naram and still beating Sekhenun. We need info however. Naram obviously knows much more about all this than we do, and even if we do have some of the Gieloth knowledge tucked away inside our minds, having a "guide" would be useful. We should be honourable and let her go, this would be in keeping with the previous choices we've made for the classical hero type:
    AD
    We've beaten her soundly. We're the strong, but uninformed immortal here. She should be wary of us, and she knows we could end her right here, right now. She might trick and deceive us, but we're sensing that she does not have the power to take us down psychically in her current condition.
    Get the info. We need it. Then be honourable and let her go. Having a good rep as an immortal could serve us well.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    In other conditions, inside her own temple, with cultists and children at her command, while she thought clearly and without being enraged, it would have been a much tougher fight. Naram may be a "brainwashed little doggy", but he did help you out a lot just by showing up with his flock in tow. Had you chosen to enter the temple earlier in the story, he wouldn't have arrived at the right time to serve as a distraction. ;)

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Shulgi might be a power-hungry asshole, but better that than a blind fanatic. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind AC - this is kind of a "shit or get off the pot" choice, so the only thing that makes sense to me is either killing her or letting her go and taking the information. Keeping her in a jar is foolish because any idiot could free her whenever.

Both choices are honorable in their own way since they don't involve breaking our word. I see Ean as a classical sort of hero, and I very much like that his actions have been noble and principled for the most part. I'd prefer that he stays that way.

I am very wary about trying to trick or deceive Sukhenun like this: she wants to give us information psychically in exchange for her life, so I think the moment she touches our mind and senses even a hint of deceit, she'll try and scramble our brains to set us back another 300 years. We tore her to shreds in this battle, but I'm afraid that if it comes down to a battle of psychic powers, we won't fare so well.

VOTING AD. Voting BB.

That makes a lot of sense, Lambchop19.

^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Flopped, see my original post.

^ Top  
  9. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    We're hardly in a position to call someone else a blind fanatic when our kneejerk reaction was to break that rod up despite knowing almost nothing about the situation other than that the spirits controlling our body were somewhat bummed about it. If he gets angry that hundreds of years of his efforts were wasted and that he'd have to search for hundreds, thousands, maybe more years to find a similar artifact if one even exists, I don't call that fanaticism. Up to the point where we ruined the efforts of most of his current life and the foreseeable future for no decent reason, he had been pretty bro, or at least he wasn't actively horrible like Shulgi.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Naram had his uses - very true. But he didn't do it just aid us did he? Even if he did, his worship of these "masters" does conflict with our desire for independence.

Ally? A very dangerous one. She can stop regen. I rather doubt even Naram or Shugi can do that at this point. BTW, if we can find out from her how she does that...

Thought of this. Hopefully since we're technically keeping our word with AC she won't sense duplicity. And we're doing her a favor in letting her live at all so we won't be feeling illwill...

I understand why you want to be honorable, but letting a highly intelligent Gilioth who already has the ability stop stop our regen - who knows what further defenses she'll develop now that she's fought us - leave to rebirth more of her kind is a big mistake. If you want to be honest you might as well just vote both Bs and be done with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    Regarding why AC is a good choice:

Sek is a near immortal and made a poorly worded deal and she should be punished for it. I imagine that while she won't like us much (inevitable at this point) it might garner some respect from her (we keep our word, but are not naive enough to just let an opponent walk away), and even if it doesn't we can probably force more info from her later on in exchange for her freedom (and she would have no reason not to follow though with it as we would have kept our word in the previous deal, she would just be more careful about how she worded her agreement). Seeing as how knowledge is our great weakness and she claimed to be more akin to a god of science that war, keeping her around for even a slight bit of extra milking seems to me like it would be a good idea as it might give us an advantage against our rivals in the long run.

Also in regards to Shulgi and Naram. I imagine Shulgi (when/if he returns) would be much more angry and bitter towards Naram then us (we ruined a few weeks of rule, Naram a century) and we should keep that in mind, and perhaps use it to have them after each other (or even help Shulgi deal with Naram, who undoubtedly hates our guts and probably will for some time).

Edit: Also keeping her around would allow for deep (and I mean very deep) emotional engagement were captor and captive fall in love!

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Immortal head of Sekhenun reminds me a bit of this oglaf character (top line of images, bottom is the deranged sexual vampire and a random gook):
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  13. newcomer Learned

newcomer
    C, a portable tentacle brothel :smug:

OBVIOUSLY AC

^ Top  
  14. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    From a narrative perspective I think I'd prefer her as a respectful rival/nemesis as opposed to unwilling companion. Carrying her around everywhere just doesn't seem very appealing, as opposed to setting her free for honour's sake and occasionally encountering her again in future where she acts as a wildcard, either aiding or hurting our efforts. It's good to throw an opponent to Naram in the mix, he may come to regret leaving her to us.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Fuckin' A, the bigger picture here is much, much bigger then I expected.

A. We need to know more about this shit now, and Sekhenun did say that the other Gieloth's knowledge is incomplete(might be a lie, yes, but not assuredly), so this way we go.

Still not decided on whether to choose D or C. I kinda want her to be on our side now, if not best friends, then just allies. I don't think that putting her head in a jam jar will accom-lish that, but if we let her go, then, in all likelihood she'll A) come after us to kill us, or B) we'll never see her.

Edit: Voting AD. Keeping her/it in a jar is definitely not the road to a healthy alliance.

^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I think she might be impressed at our honourableness, or whatever. We've been shown to be fairly unique in that we are not beholden to this "master". The fact that we let her go when we could have killed her could come to our advantage later when we find out more about the bigger picture. She could be an ally if we find the "masters" not to our liking.

^ Top  
  18. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    AD

We definitely need more info about what the fuck is going on and if the voices won't help then maybe she can. What to do with her after depends on what we learn from her, so it's kind of pointless to decide immediately. D is the safest choice if she really could be a potential ally. She was acting kind of reasonable for a tentacle monster before and our situation might not be as white and black as it seems.

^ Top  
  19. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    So we managed to defeat Sekhenun AND troll HHR! Naram? Excellent :smug:

Since our dear voices have been keeping us in the dark, we'll go for the info and have a very stern talk with them afterwards. And hell, be honorable about it - Sekhenun was a worthy foe, and deserves no less. Even if that's really fucking naive and we have a good chance of getting mind-backstabbed - that's beside the point, a true Bronze Age hero scorns your womanly fear of risk.

There's obviously a large scale conflict of forces we don't understand going on, and even if one of the sides gave us superpowers (in exchange for being a tool) while the other one tried to tastelessly buttsecks us at every opportunity (because we're supposed to be a tool of their enemy) - we need to be able to make an informed decision before we blindly turn into a mindless fanboy of one side. And hell, why do we have to choose sides at all? Why can't we conquer them both and rule as only a wily immortal human could? And we'll need allies or at least respect from some players on both sides for that ...

AD

^ Top  
  20. Urist McLurker Learned

Urist McLurker
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    AB – 1
    AC – 4
    AD – 8
    BB – 3

Interesting. Let's move on with the choices, which will be counted separately. It's an early Christmas!

Chapter 3.11: Learning

"If I accept your deal, and let you go, what will you do? Will you continue preying on people and recreate your own cult?"

So concerned with these mortals, aren't you? There's no need to worry.

"The reason I came here in the first place was to stop your predations, you shetentacle. Of course this is a concern."

Hah. I can subsist on lesser beings than humans. Enough small talk. Do we have a deal, dog?

You hope you won't regret this. "We have a deal, then."

Then you are no dog. I am pleased.

1. What You Learn

Sekhenun's knowledge is considerable. As the eldest of the noble sisters of the House of Me'kras, she has the advantage of knowing the full purpose of the Gieloth's arrival here, as well as information regarding Gieloth infiltrators all over the world. There is much you can seek, but there is little time and she can only impart to you full knowledge on one topic.

A. You seek to know about the conflict between the Gieloth and your 'masters'. You want to find out the nature of this conflict, your role in it, and all else Sekhenun knows of this war you find yourselves in. She may be no historian, but the voices have been less than forthcoming and she knows far more than you do at this point.

B. You learn of the Gieloth's purpose here, and the extent of their capabilities. Why did they come? What do they want? What is the organization of their civilization? Do they have factions? How powerful are they? How long do they live? As Sekhenun is an accomplished researcher of her people, you will come to know more about the Gieloth than even most Gieloth themselves.

C. You ask about the current status of the entire world. The Gieloth are not present in just Egypt and Sumeria, but have spread wherever humans have gathered. Their information network is extremely well built and they appear to have a method of communicating over long distances. Sekhenun will pass on both what she knows, and also an ability to tap into those communications.

2. What You Gain

Your first meeting with Sekhenun did not go too well, though she was intrigued by your dedication to your comrades. Helping Naram against her did not exactly endear yourself to her, but she is extremely grateful that you have accepted her deal and committed to fulfilling your end of the deal by letting her go free. In good faith - and because she thinks being on your bad side seems to be a terrible idea - she offers to teach you one Gieloth power before she crawls off.

A. Sekhenun secretes a toxin that you gather in a vial. The toxin will be able to greatly slow down, or even stop, regeneration of immortals of your kind. There is only enough for a single dose, however. She also teaches you the theory behind producing it on your own, but it is extremely complex - you realize you would need to be a master of bodily manipulation to be able to create a gland that allows you to secrete it on your own.

B. Sekhenun weaves together some fragments of Pahnrath's knowledge and explains to you how to use that knowledge - manipulation of light. You can now absorb light from a limited area, allowing you to cloak yourself in darkness or temporarily blind others. There may be future applications of light manipulation as you develop this power.

C. Sekhenun teaches you a way to forge a weapon that would act as a living extension of yourself. She starts babbling about morphic resonance and other weird terminology which you don't understand. What you do understand is that as long as this weapon is with you, all your capabilities and powers are increased. As you grow in strength, so does its effect. She dubs it the Honourblade, in honour of your honourable conduct. You are not sure if you should really rip out your own rib to make it, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9

:lol:

A: while C is extremely tempting. Then again, do we really want to stop the tentacles? Do we need to? Maybe we can make contact with them instead and make alliances. But, then again we need to know the ultimate WHY of this "war."

As for powers, I don't know yet.

Questions, treavebro: the voices say that the tentacles don't have a gander, yet you repeatedly refer to Sekhenun as a female of the species, how come?
    And since Pahnrath could use necromancy, is light manipulation a prelude to it?

Edit2: flipping the flop to BA.

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The voices aren't all-knowing, they do have a point in that you don't distinguish between a male and female tentacle, but from a certain perspective you can describe procreators as female. See: hermaphroditic lizards. Or the Asari. >_> Also, as the LP is written from Ean's point of view, and his (very strong) first impression of Sekhenun is as a she, the terminology stuck.

The Gieloth may have more than one power, though they focus on a few, just like Ean has focused on physical skills and telepathy. You can already access necromancy from the restoration set of powers.

edit: Regarding the blade, I would just like to say in advance that the effect doesn't multiply by you taking out a hundred ribs (because you cheat by growing them back) and making multiple Honourblades to strap on to your body. <_<

^ Top  
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    C,B - I can be persuaded towards A for the first part and C for the second part however. They're all very interesting. What makes me hesitant towards C is that we can loose the blade, but not the other powers.

A of the second part just doesn't strike me as very Ean, poison is a woman's weapon, whereas light manipulation would be badass and useful in the long run (As we develop, perhaps we can shoot laser beams from our eyes, or who knows?). The sword is also very cool, but I fear loosing it. If we are Conan, then we should loose our weapon every second month.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.