Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, tapping those communications is pretty damn awesome, but what's the point if we don't know who our spiritual lieges, who have so graciously made us immortal to partake in their glorious war, are(If their names feature Marneus, Calgar, Roboute or Guillman, it will be xtremely entertaining) and what this conflict is and is about. For all we know, we may not need to exterminate the Gieloth, they may be the lesser of two galactic evils. They may not, but we still need to know our origins and those of the conflict.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And, uh, will we get to score with the hot scientist chick?

^ Top  
  3. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    BB

Let's ask her about her kind, and we'll decide for ourselves how we like them and how to interpret the conflict - after we also learn more about the "voices" side independently. If you know the sides well, understanding the conflict is much easier - while learning about the conflict from a biased source without knowing the biases is less useful.

Light manipulation sounds nice, and might lead to invisibility down the road. And since an invisible raging barbarian is the epitome of martial prowess, I have no choice but go for it :P

Btw, could this regeneration-stopping venom be used to permanently kill an immortal?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If ingested and the deed done in a clearly fatal manner, in a certain window of time in which the toxin circulates around their body - which may vary depending on how strong their regeneration is, ranging from a few seconds to an hour, yes. Permadeath.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Whoa, nice. Still, we're not really taking the body alteration route or playing an assassin, so pass I guess.

Have another brofist for the Honourblade. Not choosing it since I want Ean to retain his ability to spell correctly, and having your magicked-up rib around has disturbingly object-erotic vibes when combined with certain other bronze age stories...

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    While I would love to know more about the nature of this conflict, remember that Sukhenun is a scientist of her kind and not a historian. More than that, she's also an extremely biased source too. It's quite clear that we shouldn't trust these vague "masters", but that doesn't mean that we should seek information on an eons-long conflict from their mortal enemies either. If we find a historian of her kind, then maybe that person would be better equipped to give us a broader view of the situation.

If we want information from her, we should stick to her area of expertise, and that means B. C is tempting too, but I don't think we'll have much trouble finding Gieloth using our own wits for the time being.

As for the power choice, I am torn between B and C. C is great, but it relies upon an external source to augment Ean's might, so it's the high-risk, high-reward option. B however would be absolutely nasty in Ean's hands if we play it smart: once we find out how to block out our telepathic presence (we're close to that level already, I think), Ean will be able to strike from the shadows without warning at any time. Nobody will be able to see him until it's too late.

Even in the thick of combat light manipulation is an amazing ability - blinding someone momentarily will give Ean just enough time to launch a vicious flurry against them. So yeah, the power is very versatile.

VOTING BB

VOTING BC

^ Top  
  7. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    CC

First choice is an obvious C; it gives us the ability to tap into Gieloth communications and learn their positions, which is great because we mostly get powers through beating them up. If not C, then we should go with B, as it's stupid to ask for information we could get from talking to the spirits in our head as in A.

Also, there's nothing whatsoever about losing the blade
    meaning it's gone forever. We could just forge another one, as she's teaching us how to do that! I could settle for the second B, though I think a weapon that enhances ALL of ou powers is better than shifting light, as we've never put much into non mind rape magic. Second A is bad though, we're not Naram and if we goof it up, it's a long, long time until we could get any of that venom back.

^ Top  
  8. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It'd be good to get some clarification treave, as if we can manufacture new blades, I'd be up for C. Do we permanently loose a rib if we choose C, btw?

^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    BC

First choice B because that's Sekhenun's expertise. A would give us only a biased and shallow history lesson. C is tempting, but we don't really need to tap into Gieloth communications to learn where they are - they haven't exactly been subtle so far.

Second choice C because a weapon that enhances our powers is useful as hell - it can boost all of our powers, even the ones we haven't bothered to develop yet, like shapeshifting or regeneration (plus it seems fitting for a soldier background). B is also nice, but C is better. A is not really useful for us at this point.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can, but the effect does not stack. Addressed this in an edit to my post right before yours. Losing one has its drawbacks, however... Sekhenun herself doesn't know what since it's an experimental weapon. Suffice to say, you can make more, but metaknowledge tips here strongly suggest you don't make it a habit of losing a piece of yourself. ;)

I honestly intended 1C to be more of a way for you use them as your intelligence network and find out what is going on all over the world. But you guys have a great interpretation of the choice too.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Flipped my flop.

^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We need to know more about the Gieloth. We have the voices to brief us on our own purpose, but as to the Gieloth, it seems we can find no better source than the one we're currently interviewing.
    And as for the power, being able to bend light is Awesome. Lasers and invisibility seem plausible, given time. What's not to like here? :smug:

^ Top  
  14. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    While the first B is still better than the first A, I don't see how a history lesson on the Gieloth outranks hacking into their global communications and locations. It's like we're choosing one lecture over Internet access; in all probability, being in their communications would give us a decent knowledge of what we need to know about Gieloth. Also, knowing their locations would really help us to find any shying away from being publicly worshipped. We only discovered the Egyptian ones on a fluke; don't expect the rest of them in the world to be that easy to find, especially since they'll get the hint if we keep killing off the more obvious ones.

^ Top  
  15. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    2. C sounds like a terrible idea. I mean great we have this sword that makes us awesome, but it takes a part of us, and neither we (nor Sek) seem to know what that will do or mean for us. Also give it some time and that sword will become a crutch, and you can bet that someone like Naram (or any other enemies we make later on) will find out about it and make sure it disappears from our side. It will likely become something we become dependent on (at least in the context of dealing with other powers) and it will become a terrible weakness for us.

^ Top  
  16. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  17. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    You heal the rib, it doesn't matter that it takes a part of us. We've lost a hand in the past for no benefit to speak of and had no bad effects, a rib for an awesome weapon is a much better trade.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, but it's a part of us. We lose it, someone like Shulgi recovers it, and may learn our abilities from it, or study us through it, as it is a part of our body. Too much a risk, and besides that it could honestly become a crutch, and we would become useless with it. The smart man develops his own skills and uses crutches as a last resort.

^ Top  
  19. Urist McLurker Learned

Urist McLurker
    BB

About 2. C, from what I've understood, it'll enhance our abilities when we have it with us. It'll only be a weakness to us if we become dependent on it; perhaps such a weapon would be best used as a trump card, kind of like an adrenaline shot to our powers rather than something we have to rely on to keep going. When shit gets serious, Honourblade is brought out and suddenly we're much more powerful; able to deal with anything.

I can also see it being useful for something like healing. Lost both our legs? Carry Honourblade with us to heal faster.

Of course I'm pretty terrible at understanding anything so maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing. Though I believe 2.B is a far better choice regardless.

^ Top  
  20. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
    So how about we don't lose it? Our strength and marshal prowess should be sufficient to hold onto our damn sword like every other weapon we've had. I would think also think that our powers-- caving in faces and mind rape-- are pretty evident from what they've seen.

We can already beat them to a pulp without the sword physically, but we can't stand up to them in other categories other than maybe a mind rape supreme. Is it a crutch? Maybe, but it's better for a man with a broken leg to use a crutch rather than to try to support himself on his injury. Without this, we're useless in categories other than our specialties, true, but light magic won't improve that fact. Besides, we'd probably ditch levelling up in light magic even if we do get it, so we may as well get something that covers our general bases instead of devoting ourselves to a specialized magic we're highly likely to ditch.

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This is a good point, Kipeci. It's also occurred to me that it seems possible that Naram, or another immortal like him, will attempt to find another relic of power in an attempt to summon these masters of ours. And if/when they do come, they are probably going to be very, very pissed off at us. Having a powerful weapon of our own would give us the might to stand toe-to-toe with one of these so-called "masters" should they be summoned here.

Besides, I hardly think that the weapon is a crutch - it's an empathic weapon, like Dakkon's Karach blade. It's no more a crutch than Mjolnir is a crutch for Thor, honestly. Still, losing it (or more likely, having it stolen from us) could prove to be a serious drawback for us. If some of our life force is tied to the weapon, that's a huge weakness.

That being said, I don't think we'd ditch light manipulation just like that. I can see a ton of great uses for it down the road. One of Ean's few weaknesses in combat is his lack of ranged attack. Once he closes in, he's an absolute terror as Sukhenun found out, but he can't really do anything from afar at the moment. It's not a serious problem right now because he compensates for it with speed, but being able to fire lasers from our eyes would be pretty helpful against an opponent that we have trouble reaching.

^ Top  
  22. Collage Educated

Collage
    I'm voting C for the first choice, though I'm open to flipping to B. Being able to tap into the Gieloth communications network seems like a great way to keep track of them, but also what's going on around the world. We'll be able to tell when big things are going down around the world.
    For the second choice, B seems the most powerful by far.

CB

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Looking forward to the "Is that your Honourblade, or are you just happy to see me?" interactions with Sukhenun in the future.

^ Top  
  24. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As far as I'm concerned, we should take the blade: It's obviously a reward for being an honest, comrade-protecting tough sob.
    I really don't see what kind of stuff we can do with a darkness spell. It's not like we're some kind of ninja, and we won't be able to see shit ourself.
    Blinding power could be nice, though, but are we talking about a single person spell (like taking the light out of their eyes) or more of a blinding light zone-effect stuff ?

^ Top  
  25. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    I would imagine it starts as just us, but bearing in mind what happened in our battle with the beast that used this power, it was able to shield its charioteers in darkness, that with practice we could use the ability to cover armies. Also depending on how powerful we become in manipulating light, we might be able to create entire fake armies/cities/whatever else, since all sight is based on light, allowing us to really fuck with anybody who tries to fight us (their scouts would see troops everywhere and the only way to verify if they are real is to get too close to survive if they are).

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.