Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. Rex Feral Liturgist

    Rex Feral
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,300
    B
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    B- I'm in agreement with the rest.

    I really don't like where Senya's morality is heading. So much for being Ean's successor, eh? Let's make the best of this, just because he's a greedy, ambitious and morally unrestrained, doesn't mean he can't work for the betterment of Terra and it's inhabitants; it just won't be as, well, inspiring and awe-inducungas Ean's goodness was. Although the bit about having Ean and Sek alive not being impossible gives me hope. We have our prototype suit with us, right? If yes, then we should be able to make a boarding of the ship and take some valuable PoWs ourselves.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    I think that the spin-off meant that them surviving would have been possible if we hadn't jumped into the rift for the sake of lulz, rather than them possibly living now. I'll go ahead and vote C in case B blows up in our faces.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    Alternate universe.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,192
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    So if Senya gets fed up with the current state of things, he twiddles a bit with the wormhole machine and then exits in a parallel universe? :M
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. m4davis Scholar

    m4davis
    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2012
    Messages:
    557
  7. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    The Belesis

    “How are we doing, Captain?” I approach Garland on the bridge, where the viewscreens are displaying the route we are taking through space; right on the trail of the Imperial vessel, as I had ordered.

    “Everything is going smoothly. We should catch up to them soon. Still, are you sure about this? I don’t think we’re equipped for a fight against an Imperial warship,” says Garland. We have been on the trail of the Imperial vessel for the past three days – in two more days we will have caught up to them, close to the jump point they plan to use to get back to the heart of the Empire. The black hole generator will require four more days to be at sufficient power in order to charge up a wormhole; right now it can't even muster up enough energy to move Anhur.

    “That’s fine.” I say. “Your freighter can move faster than almost any other warship the League or Empire has. Besides, those bulky armour blocks disguised as the ship’s outline tell me that it’s far more durable than it seems.”

    Captain Garland’s eyes give me a shrewd glance as he grins. “There’s no hiding anything from you, it seems. Good guess.”

    “Well, we’ll be needing those armour blocks soon enough.”
    “Expecting trouble?”

    “Of course. In fact, trouble’s due at almost any time now. Better strap yourself in, Captain," I say, patting his shoulder.

    “What do you-“

    “An Imperial ship’s approaching us from the front,” reports Emiri. “It designates itself as the Belesis. Their captain is hailing us.”

    “Better answer that call, Captain. This is the ship we’ve been following.”

    “How did you know this was going to happen?” asks Garland as he gets ready to patch the Belesis on screen.

    “Later, Captain. For now, do what you do best.”

    “Fine, Hoshikawa,” he sighs, “but you owe me an explanation later.”

    A bear of a man with a great big bushy beard and shiny chevrons adorning an ornate military coat appears on the screen. He seems all business, his face a mask of stone.

    “This is Commander Dranu of the Belesis. Unidentified freighter, state your business here in Imperial space.”

    “Commander, what a pleasure to see a reliable face out here!” grins Garland as if he just met an old friend. “My name is Garland, a humble trader on my way to Oannu. We got lost on a slipspace jump… something went wrong and dumped us all the way out here. Our navigator pointed out the nearest jump point and I decided we had to floor it there before we ran out of fuel. Could you help us?”

    “Your vessel does not look like it belongs to an Imperial world,” says Dranu menacingly. “Are you from the Star League?

    “Ah… that,” Garland falters for a while before gamely continuing. "Our ship is-"

    "Enough. Your ship is now under custody of the Empire. You will follow the Belesis to the jump point, where we will escort you to Khalka. Stand by and prepare for boarding. An Imperial officer with a contingent of fully armed guards will monitor your crew during the journey. Make any attempts to escape and we will destroy you. Stray more than 10 clicks towards the Belesis and we will destroy you. Do anything foolish and we will destroy you. "

    It looks like the good commander is suspicious of us. I give Garland a surreptitious nod, asking him to follow Dranu's orders.

    "Very well, commander," nods Garland nervously. "I will do as you say."

    The moment the Belesis breaks contact, he wheels his chair around to face me.

    "I know what you're doing here," says the captain happily. "This is going to end with guns a-blazing, isn't it? Perhaps a bit of that ol' ramming action?"

    "Maybe," I give him a non-committal answer. "It depends on what we opt to do next." I look to the side, where Erec is striding furiously towards me, Erika following closely behind him.

    "What is the meaning of this, Hoshikawa? Is leading us into an ambush your idea of a competent strategy?" he says coldly.

    "Master, the analysis of the enemy warship is complete. The Belesis has sixteen top-facing missile silos, eight particle beam turrets, twenty CIWS emplacements and five cannons of indeterminate type packed onto a cruiser-sized hull that can shrug aside salvos from any Federation battleship." recites Yua. "There appears to be battle damage on the right side of the starship where the armour plates have buckled in from impact, but it is not critical."

    "We needed time to find out what we were dealing with," I reply. "The Independent Spirit of Adventure does not have the ability to scan an enemy warship from a hundred million kilometres away, and I knew the Imperial vessel would detect us first, especially since we were heading towards them at intercept speed. I mean, it's not like this is some sort of super stealth freighter."

    "Why were you so sure they would detect us? They could be more concerned with heading home instead of scanning for people following them." asks Erec.

    "I'll admit that I couldn't be sure. Still, if they were already on a lookout for pursuers in the first place, it wouldn’t be hard to pick up a freighter trailing your warship, especially if it’s going at a speed fast enough to catch up with you. Of course, this tells us that they are concerned about being pursued. It means they are carrying something important onboard. Furthermore, by my estimation they should have detected us by yesterday at the latest; that it took them till today to confront us likely means that they were checking to see if there were any other vessels besides ours. Once they confirmed that this freighter was alone, they decided to take the little risk of turning back to ensure any loose ends were wrapped up. If we had been onboard a Federation cruiser, I expect the Belesis would have mined the space around the jump point to greet our rather more threatening arrival. Frankly, I'm thankful that they didn't immediately blow us away the moment they turned back.” I answer.

    "What's stopping them from doing this to us, then?" Emiri asks, her curiosity piqued.

    I turn to her and raise a finger. "Firstly, the freighter is seemingly fragile. Our friend Commander Dranu appears to be a shrewd operator - he suspects that we are not what we seem. Blowing us up too hastily might destroy anything onboard that the Empire could be interested in." I raise another finger. "Secondly, he is not entirely sure of his suspicion. We could be humble traders after all; thankfully Captain Garland's acting is good enough to put some uncertainty into his heart. Or whatever passes for it. Better to allow the Empire's internal security services to sort us out." The third finger goes up. "Finally, this Star League operation was compromised. Things went wrong, and we ended up with two cruisers destroyed, one cruiser missing, and the infiltration team's whereabouts unknown. If we had time to investigate the wreckage of the battle we could have obtained more clues as to what exactly transpired, but as it is, the Empire is definitely on alert now. They will not give up any chance to capture and ruthlessly interrogate League spies in order to gain an advantage. Guess what we are suspected to be?"

    "That doesn't sound very comforting," replies Emiri with a nervous look on her face. "If they think we're spies, why don't they just drag us over to their ship instead?"

    "Risk of sabotage." says Erika. "That would be quite stupid."

    "That's right," I say. "We could get free and do quite a lot of damage to their ship... even take it over. It's much safer to have us guarded by their soldiers on our own ship, which they can blow up if we start to get ideas."

    "After all this, you haven't given us a plan of how to get out of this hole, Hoshikawa," says Erec almost impatiently. "Do I have to take charge of this operation to save us from your bumbling?"

    "Well..." I begin...

    ***

    A. The Independent Spirit of Adventure cannot outgun the Belesis, but all reports indicate that the Empire relies on fighters in battle - a vessel like the Belesis could conceivably carry up to a dozen of those. We have three Onuris-B frames onboard - upgraded versions to bring the Onuris more in-line with current CF technology. In a straight-up battle we have some chance of victory - we will begin the attack when the shuttle carrying the Imperial officer is halfway to us. The aim is to smash the bridge and force a surrender.

    B. We will take the Belesis by surprise and charge right for its weakened side. The Independent Spirit of Adventure will ram into the Belesis so that the White Fang and I can storm the ship in boarding action. The armour blocks should provide us enough cover from the enemy's firepower to close the distance safely. The White Fang are mildly superhuman, and likely outclass any Imperial soldier - once we get on board, with my support it should be a relatively simple matter to take over the Belesis.

    C. We wait for the Imperial officer to board us and go along with the Belesis for a while. I am sure I will be able to manufacture a reason to have that shuttle return to the Belesis during our journey - when that happens, I will be stowed away on board. Once I reach the Belesis I can investigate independently and do whatever I need to in order to turn things to my advantage.

    D. We go along with the Belesis until we reach the Imperial capital world of Khalka. If my guess is correct, Tarliss's mission involved the capital - it is no coincidence that the designated rendezvous area is near one of the jump points that leads towards the Empire's homeworld. With luck I could even end this millenia-long war all by myself, should I find myself in the right position. Besides, it's time to see how the other half of the galaxy lives.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,192
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Prepare for RAMMING SPEED! :yeah:

    Ahem. Option B
     
    ^ Top  
  9. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Hmm, I'm undecided, but B does sound tempting. What better way to introduce ourselves to the Empire than with a little ramming action? I think I can guess which option Storyfag is gonna pick though. :lol:
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A. These cannons of indeterminate type have me a bit worried. I don't want to choose a strategy that relies on our ship surviving a salvo. Better to go with the CF option. I'll change my vote if I'm convinced the cannons aren't a threat, there's a bit of room for interpretation there.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,192
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    The cannons remain a threat in A as well. If you're concerned about them, you'd have to avoid them altogether and do either C or D. :M

    B tickles me the right way much more though.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

    Storyfag
    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    Messages:
    8,589
    Location:
    A Dark Place
    Hmm? Pray tell.

    At this point I'll limit myself to saying that B is beyond retarded. We suspect they might have something importand aboard. Most likely prisoners. And you want to risk them in a potentially disastrous manouver? What if the ramming action results in the Belesis' destruction?
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,192
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!! :flamesaw:

    Seriously though, I thought we should have gone to investigate the signal, but seeing as we chose to intercept this vessel, I want it done quickly. And B, as silly as it might seem, actually seems to me as the quickest way to accomplish this. Note, the ramming would be immediately followed by a boarding action.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

    Lambchop19
    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    Messages:
    21,385
    Location:
    Die Reichskanzlei
    C - This thing took out two cruisers and barely got scuffed. (Though I'll note that whatever other imperial ship was there did get destroyed...) It is highly likely that any ramming action would fail miserably against that armor - provided the indeterminate cannons aren't black hole guns or something and we don't even make it that far... A has a similar chance of failure.

    D is the worst option by far. Anhur's quantum computer alone would allow Marduk/Ean's penis to conquer half the galaxy, to say nothing of the black hole generator and wormhole tech... We cannot allow ourselves to be taken all the way to the Empire. Besides, our objective should be anything but ending this war. If either side wins and makes it to the center of the galaxy, the Masters will have won.

    My vote is C, but I'll flop to A if C isn't going to make it. The CF has time and again proven superior to the fighter due to animu logic and keeping the SoA out of the reach of those guns is better than getting slaughtered up close.

    The one problem I can see with C is that we don't know what sort of officer they'll be sending. If it is Marduk, it could be a gieloth. If not (why would the masters let him survive btw?), it could be an immortal or similar. However, I'm still convinced it's our best option.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Kipeci Magister

    Kipeci
    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    2,956
    Location:
    Vicksburg
    C

    although I am tempted to ram the blade ship


    B for Boarding Action
     
    ^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Why the one with the most potential for lore dumps of course! D!
     
    ^ Top  
  17. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

    oldmanpaco
    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2008
    Messages:
    12,684
    Location:
    Fall
    I'm late to the party. Can someone summarize the first 383 pages of this thread? I got this page covered.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Epic.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    B, you had me at "boarding action." Senya needs experience in combating Imperial forces and it was quite a while since he choked someone out.

    That and I don't want to be stuck with Tarliss' sekrit misshun, we have more important things to take care of, like Terra's military.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Our ship could flee, and with the mobility of the Anhur we should be able to dodge their barrage meant for much larger objects.

    I won't vote for C because in their minds there's still the possibility that we're who we say we are, as soon as they board us they'll discover this is not the case. When they discover that, given that they have precious cargo onboard, they may think the best course of action is to blow us up.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    You won't be piloting Anhur. It's still not operational, as mentioned in the update.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Ah, my bad. That does make A less attractive of an option. I'm still not wholly convinced on B though, but it seems like it's going to win anyway.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

    Storyfag
    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    Messages:
    8,589
    Location:
    A Dark Place
    I'm not *that* one dimensional. At this point I feel D is counterproductive and dangerous.

    C, for now. But I'll flop to A if C doesn't make it. Hell, even to D. Anything to stop B.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Rex Feral Liturgist

    Rex Feral
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,300
    C>A.

    It can't hurt to be cautious.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    B isn't as bad of an idea as you think: the enemy commander is extremely cautious, so the cunning approach will be harder because of that. He is pretty much expecting foul play.

    Ramming action, however, will most likely take him by surprise, as will the boarding party of superhumans. I'll even bet that if he has any prisoners, the definitely are not on the damaged side of the ship. Best use our element of surprise while we have it and capitalize on his unpreparedness.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.