Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The power suits help, but just because you can keep up with a 500 year old immortal doesn't mean you can beat, say, a Shulgi-class.

As for talking to the Emperor and getting Vajra, why not just arrange for a meeting on neutral ground? Pretend you are going to surrender, as the representative of Earth. Why would you have to go to all the trouble of engaging in a firefight and sacrificing your fleet for a really poor and risky opportunity in comparison?

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because I'm not a hundred percent certain he'll make it there in one piece through our black hole guns.

That, and defeating him in such a bombastic fashion will hopefully make his fleet decide that "we don't want to mess with these psychopaths! Abort mission!"

Whereas cowardly killing him at a parley will probably make them fight to avange their liege's dishonorable death.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Wait what? You're going to fire on a delegation that you invited for a diplomatic surrender with black holes before he arrives when your whole purpose of inviting him was so you could talk to him and steal his shiny stick?

Let's just say that if we hit one of two scenarios ramming and
    boarding is an acceptable tactic: rescuing a hostage, or planning a daring abduction/assassination/whatever in the middle of slipspace, while the fleet is still traveling here.

^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Voting now,

B - I want to take Julia out once and for all, she was a mistake we should have corrected long ago. We should declare a war of assassins.
    A - We're aware of our other self's techniques and his beliefs. We can crush him and expunge him from our minds. He's taught us our lesson, we can be merciless now.
    B - Our edge has always been related to personal power, we shouldn't give it up, especially when our political power is almost non-existent. Design a mech with Rei, with destruction and creation in each hand we should be capable of much.
    B - I don't want to give up the quantum computer. Too many useful applications related to our true AI.

^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I meant shit could happen: clipped by a particularly skilled gunner, pulls the Olympus Switcharoo and gets ignominiously shot down (wouldn't that be a bitch?); this is war, after all.
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, that is now irrelevant. No one wants to exploit our tactical genius. So many interesting things we can do with the fleet and yet you guys insist on the boring option. I hope the evil twat won't take over and kill the planet.

I guess the upside is that if we decimate the whole crusade personally, Senya will unavoidably get a personality cult.

:incline:

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Nothing is stopping you from warping your mech in slipspace and clinging on like a limpet. If anything, it'd be more stealthy. Sneak onboard, assassinate the Emperor, take his mask, drop out of slipspace, 'persuade' Adrahasis, become the new Emperor, gleefully accept Julia's surrender.

Just ramming a ship for boarding action is boring.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  8. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I'm liking the sound of that. No idea if I really want to kill Marduk at the moment though. Have to learn more of his motives and story first.

^ Top  
  9. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    We don't want to assasinate the Emperor cowardly and then take over his empire. We want everyone there watching while we kill him by merely touching him. Then talk about Senya's personal cult.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Keep in mind, though, that the Emperor is likely something entirelly different to an Immortal. And now probably also quite different to Selkhet. Even if we observe Selkhet long enough to learn how to unravel a Gieloth, the same method might not work on the Emperor.

^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    We also need to keep in mind the devouring aspect. Senya might not be able to reload if he is eaten. Still, it would be awesome to take over the empire and screw masters' game.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Bring on a War

“So, you won’t be surrendering the alien over to us then?” smiles the President of the Federation thinly.

“I’m afraid so, Madam President.” I reply. “The alien says, and I quote, ‘I’d rather die than go with the old hag’. In alien-speak actually, but that was the gist of it.”

Her brow furrows as she grips the pen she’s holding so tightly that I can hear a creak, even through the viewscreen.

“You really are a nasty lot, aren’t you? That is fine with me. I was hoping you wouldn’t give in so easily anyway. Destroying this rotten bunch of traitors and scum of the earth would give me the greatest pleasure. You’ll finally get what you deserve.”

“Mm. It’s sexual, isn’t it?” I muse out loud.

“What?”

“I mean, the way you desire power and domination. Did you think the stories wouldn’t get out? Does it turn you on or something? Have you been feeling deprived lately? I can find no other reason-“

“You dare! How did you -” The President raises her voice, her nostrils flaring in anger. “You rude and uncouth man! I have to wonder what Kyrie ever saw in you.”

“Sometimes I wonder too.” I say with a smile. “I will speak with you later, Madam President. See you soon.”

“Hoshi-“ I cut off the line before she gets another word in.

“I’m not entirely sure you should have done that, brother,” says Rei. “What do we gain from provoking her this much?”

“No Earthling is going to want to sacrifice their life for a Gieloth, Rei. By putting ourselves in opposition to the Federation over this point we will already have lost the propaganda war before it has begun. But now… now she will be paranoid that there are spies in her office, and that will push her to make mistakes.”

“You mean…” Rei blushes.

“Ah, so she really is one.” Erika nods knowingly. “How did you find out?”

“It was a stab in the dark,” I admit. “Come on, she used to consort with Relius, remember? She’s definitely got something weird going on there. Anyway, she’ll be turning her own bureaucracy upside down on the brink of war, not to mention begin overreacting against anything she thinks might be linked to us.”

“It is a fine tactic to push your enemy’s buttons, but don’t let your mother find out how you did it,” grins my father.

“The cities have united behind Governor Iannes,” says Emiri. “We are bringing out old military equipment from surviving, mothballed military bases back on Earth. It might be a hard prospect for them to invade space, but defending themselves should be doable.”

“Alright. We won’t be able to take on the Federation in a straight fight, but between the chaos the President will be helping to start, and the rebellion on the ground, they should be too busy to counter our next moves.” I say.

“You always rub my mother the wrong way, don’t you?” laughs Kyrie.

“It’s a habit.” I say absent-mindedly.

“What’s a habit?” asks Emiri.

“Oh, nothing,” I say, staring pointedly at the ghost waving at me.

“Don’t worry, I see it too.” Rei whispers.

“That doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“If you’re not feeling well, perhaps we should adjourn the meeting,” says Erika.

“Yes… that would be best. I am a bit tired,” I nod, keeping my eyes on the thing that looks like Kyrie.

As the others file out of the room, Rei and I stay behind. Once they have all left, I let out a big sigh.

“Alright, you are Kyrie’s ghost or something, aren’t you? You called the President mother.”

“I’ve told you before, I don’t know who I am,” she shakes her head. “It just seemed right to call her that.”

“It’s a mass hallucination,” I groan. “Can’t this wait until I settle everything?”

“Hey, it’s not my fault that you’re crazy,” laughs the hallucination. “Anyway, I’m here to convey a message again. Rei needs to reach the Inanna flower.”

Rei seems puzzled. “Wait, I thought they were all gone.”

“Smart-aleck here was keeping the last one safe on Earth.”

“What do I do when I get there?” asks Rei.

“I’m not entirely sure.”

“What do you mean, you’re not sure?” I interrupt. “I could do with some less cryptical instructions for once in my life.”

“I’m sorry, Senya,” Her smile is half apologetic, half amused. “I don’t understand everything either. It’s like… the connection is not clear? I’m not sure how to describe it. You’ll just have to make do with what I can tell you. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”

And with that, she’s gone. Again.

Everything else begins proceeding as planned – the preliminary design for a combat frame integrating the best we have to offer has been finalized. It would be the pinnacle – the crown jewel – of humanity’s technology. The scientists and engineers working on it called themselves Project Defiance. They were thrilled at the prototype black hole generator I passed along to them for reference, and promised me great results soon.

Julia’s panicked attempt at purging her ranks caused some internecine conflict, as I had predicted. She had been too secure in her position for far too long, thinking that everyone would follow along with her will. With the Crusade on its way, the porcine rats leading the Federation would rather turn on each other so that they are best positioned to gain the most from what they think will be a new regime soon. She just gave them that chance. Even so, some elements of the Federation space forces have already attempted to attack us, thinking the Gate was an easy target. They were disposed of quite easily. Still, the first shots have been fired. There is no going back now.

Meanwhile, we received a rather curious message from an old acquaintance: Julius Gallardo. He was seeking refuge with us, claiming that he knows Julia’s dirty secrets.

As the people’s faith in their leaders starts to wane, it is time for me to make my next move.

Operation Snow Drop: Rei would like to investigate the Inanna flower – that would mean slipping past the Federation blockade and reaching Ankida. It’s a simple orbital re-entry operation. From there, I plan to have her join the Earth forces when they launch an attack against the Federation’s orbital assets.

Operation Mad Retrieval: At the same time, we would also need someone to pick up Julius. Whether he is truly genuine about seeking refuge, or a spy, I think I can find some useful information if we interrogate him. Erec and Erika will attempt to carry out his extraction from Neo Memphis, though I have instructed them to put their safety first and abandon the target if at all anything seems wrong.

Operation Fox Cover: As insurance, I plan to carry out a distraction for both operations by having my father’s Autonomous Fleet perform a simultaneous strike on the Federation fleet near Londinium, as retaliation for their earlier attack on the Gate of Ean. The objective is to hit and run – harass the fleet and retreat to the safety of the Gate, which they still do not have enough forces to take.

A. I undergo the procedure to delve into my psyche before the operation. It may be that I do not recover in time to participate in any of the operations but that’s a risk I will have to take sooner or later.

B. I postpone the procedure till later, even though there is a risk that we will be in a worse position afterwards meaning that I might not get the chance to do so for some time.

Should I recover in time, or not undergo the procedure at all:

A. I participate in Operation Snow Drop. I am curious about what the ghost wants Rei to do with the flower. This is something I would like to see for myself; in case it is a trap, I can be on hand to help out. An orbital re-entry, fighting past a Federation blockade, is not an easy job either.

B. I participate in Operation Mad Retrieval. This is the riskiest operation; I would like to support Erec and Erika as much as possible as they - well, alright, she - is an old friend, and an important war asset to boot. My presence would significantly enhance our chances of success.

C. I participate in Operation Fox Cover. This operation requires tricky timing to coordinate so that the other two missions will draw less attention. By pulling off Fox Cover perfectly I can help both operations at the same time. My father shoul be more than competent enough for such a task, but better safe than sorry.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Welll...

Kyrie's ghost is unsettling, but clearly it is linked to Rei's and Senya's creation. Would be interesting to have Selkhet on hand the next time, to see if she sees it too.. We know that Mere Tarliss doesn't, so it isn't the immortal part that makes the visions possible, could it be something of the Gieloth heritage?
    Or is is something unique to Rei and Senya?

In any case, I find it is important to delve more into the Rei and Senya stories. Therefore my vote cannot be anything other than
    A
    A

^ Top  
  14. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    AA

Although I'm not entirely convinced about 1A. This flower thing seems important and I would rather not miss it.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    In before sacrificing Rei to awaken Ean (which is wishful thinking, would be pretty useful, too). I really want to go for 2A, but it seems that Erec and Erika will need us the most. Even if Relius is genuine, it will still be very difficult to extract him. Thoughts?

As for waking up our other self, we definitely should. The sooner we begin the sooner we recover.

Edit: by the way, do we have any idea of Vic Gradius Camna's whereabouts? If he's anywhere near Londinium, we must go with the fleet. Otherwise, they're screwed.

Liking Senya's new wiseass persona, though.

^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You are not sure of any particular troop assignments. At any rate each of the operations require that you do not get stuck in so fleeing battle will be the first priority.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, connection to whom, the Masters? I do remember Ean's voices mentioning bad connection a couple of times. Ean or Sek, maybe?

SHULGI? Oh god, it is him, isn't it? He's everywhere!
    :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Just wait a moment. How does anyone outside the Cult know Selkhet is an alien? I guess the League might have told Earthlings that all their myths about Gieloth are actually true, but actually half those myths are positive because of Sekhenun and Concordiat. Plus the only Immortal who figured Selkhet out was Mere, and she wasn't keen on spreading the word. I demand an explanation, or a change. All Julia should know is that Marduk wants a high ranking Cultist as his bride.

BA for now.

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Council put two and two together after the Emperor's announcement and figured it out. They're not retarded. Sometimes I wonder if you guys forget you're dealing with beings with thousands of years of experience that have not yet crushed you like a bug only because you are beneath their notice. Once they let Julia know that as a parting gift, obviously she'd milk it for propaganda. They might not call her a Gieloth per se, but the Emperor coming for his alien bride is public knowledge.

^ Top  
  20. Stygian Lurker Scholar

Stygian Lurker
  21. AA - We just have to have faith that our teams will succeed...not to mention be exceedingly careful with our other aspect. By picking the mech, we could be effectively arming the self-proclaimed destroyer of worlds with the most powerful weapon in existence, if we screw up and let him loose.

Oh, and my theory is that Kyrie is probably Kyrie. Or what's left of her. Shulgi probably used some of the nanobots that deconstructed her when he was giving us regen nanites. Effectively, I'm betting she is a, if not our only, "voice". Anyway, I think she's linked to our old friend Shulgi - or what's left of him - which would explain why she knows what to do and why Rei can see her too.

That or she's a master puppet. Or a ghost. Spooooky!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, she is definitely getting her info from someone. Whether it's the Masters (probably not), the Great Idea (possibly, we do have some kind of connection to it), Ean or Sek from beyond the grave, I've no idea. But I guess we'll have to find out, eh?

Torn between safeguarding the fleet and going with Rei. Storyfaggotry is nice and all, but we can't really afford to be selfish here. The overall success of the war should be our goal.

On the other hand, maybe we'll get a crucial piece of information from A. Waiting to hear more arguments.

^ Top  
  23. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :hmmm:
    So, the flowers are sources of energy.
    They have the potential to somehow empower humanity.

The last flower is very low on energy.
    Rei needs to go to the flower. Rei can generate energy. Aww sheeit.

I'm not sitting this one out, or risking our twin's interference.
    BA

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    You're probably right Baltika9.
    It always rubs me slightly the wrong way when people bAndwAgon too much, even if it were the same options I voted for.

This Inanna flower? Might be that is what the Mushussu Emperor is coming to Earth for. Selkhet could simply be an excuse.
    If that is the case, I'd want Senya's maximum potential unlocked. Remember how he was impressed with what Rei could accomplish with her creation powers? As far as we know, she hasn't got an inhibitor. Senya could probably rival those creation powers with powers of destruction/ending, once his potential is unlocked.
    We want him to have that option while not being bat-shit insane when the big M finally arrives. If that means he's recovering, and not actually there when Rei powers the flower, well. That could be both good or bad.

Still, for now, I'll be sticking with my vote.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.