Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We could always release our inhibitor later. I just don't want to sit this one out and miss the procedure and involvment in it (maybe we can apply our intelligence and the flower for something on the spot; whoever is Kyrie's informer, I'm sure he'll show himself at that point (please let it be Ean, this would be such a massive troll for Marduk)).

I also don't want our darkside surprising us and disrupting the process in a fit of egotism/POWAH!/jealousy.

^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'm with Baltika on this.

BA

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Think about it this way, if you're not there it means that you can't influence the way the mission goes... for better or for worse. Wouldn't you be banging your head against the wall if it means your on-site fuck-up ended up getting the last flower destroyed? Put your trust in your comrades for once.

...or the mission could need you there to bail it out, or else everything goes up in flames. Who knows.

:lol:

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Out of Mind

“This is as far as I can take you,” says Erika’s disembodied voice. “From here onward you are on your own. When you are ready, place your hand on the cube. I will do the rest. Remember, once the seal is opened it cannot be locked again. You should finish the job. Good luck, Senya.” The cube that she is talking about is a small black thing on a mantelpiece in the house of my mind. It gleams in the light, its surface smooth with nary an etching to be found. I place my hand on it.

The cube unfolds and envelops me.

Again, I find myself in total darkness. I turn around in confusion.

“Can’t get used to the dark?” laughs a familiar voice. My voice. “What’s the matter? Shall I bring you a night light?”

I ignore him. We are no longer in a program that he has taken control of. We are in my mind, and that means control should be mine. If I want light…

The darkness clears away, revealing my surroundings. The room seems to be carved entirely out of polished black marble, with only a solitary, bright lamp hanging from the center to illuminate it. Not a few feet away from me, he sits on an ivory throne that seems to have been cobbled together from the bones of multiple long-dead prehistoric beasts. His appearance is different from the last time I saw him – this time, he looked my age, if not much skinnier, with filthy, long hair and an unruly scruff about his chin. Two massive manacles shackle his wrists, their chains anchored to the floor. As he shifts his wasted body, I realize that the throne is sprouting thorns of bone that have hooked deep into his flesh, limiting his movement.

“So, how am I doing today?” he asks with a sneer.

“Perfectly well, thank you. How are you?” I reply, reclining myself into a lush and comfortable armchair.

“Could be better,” he laughs. “Buy me a better chair. This one sucks.”

“We will see about that, won’t we?”

“Yes, we will,” he agrees. “I know what you are here for.”

“That makes things simpler, then.” I say. “Will you fight me, or shall we do this the easy way?”

He bursts into uncontrollable laughter. As he does so, the thorns of the throne react in response to his movement, growing and sinking deeper into his body.

“Fight you? I have never sought to fight you. You are me, after all, even if I don’t like your hypocrisy and stupidity. Liar. You lie to everyone, even yourself. You seek power, you say? What do you seek it for?”

“To free-“

“Liar. You ascribe blame to those above you, telling yourself that their plotting and scheming has been responsible for every bad thing in your life. You take no responsibility for any of your actions. You would discard lives recklessly, heartlessly, in your own games for power, and yet you point fingers at the gods’ schemes and call them tyrants, when in truth you are no better than them. The ends justify the means, you say? I know everything you did. I am you. I know just how cold your heart has become. Would such a man be able to free anything?” I grit my teeth, barely holding in my anger. “You are one to talk… you who killed an entire planet.”

“Is that what you think?” He gives me a sickly grin. “I brought them salvation.”

“You disassembled people. I still… you call that salvation, you son of a bitch?” I spring up from the chair, the memories of what happened to Kyrie boiling within me.

“People – no, everything is information,” he says quietly. His eyes, half covered by his messy hair, seem to glint a pale blue. “You are aware of that?” I stare at him for a while before deciding to sit down again. “Go on.”

“I will repeat my doctrine again. Our world is a world of dreams. In a dream that is indistinguishable from the real thing, how would you awaken? Through fear. By turning their existence into a nightmare I save them from this false reality. Imagine, if you will… your flesh melting… bubbling… replicating… Would you accept it? Would you not rather think it is a dream, that this cannot be happening to you?”

“That is just denial of reality.”

“Rejection of a false reality is important!” He shouts triumphantly. “That is the first step to setting yourself free. I give them the chance, you see?”

“They are still dead. What chance do they have now?”

“Your ears listen but your mind does not understand. I said it before. Everything is information. I reprogrammed the nanomachines based on that understanding.”

“You mean…”

“Based on studies of the Inanna flower, there is reason to believe that they interact as a hive-mind of some sort. Each flower can respond to the others, even over great distances.”

“Yes,” I say warily. “I am familiar with that study.”

“Where do you think the scientists developed their nanomachines from? I told you, I found a more refined method.”

The Inanna flowers. I also recall reading about research involving that, back in the day. They were using the Dunamis and the flowers for nanomachine experimentation.

“Information… turning everyone into goo was just a side-effect. You were… freeing their information from the constraint of their bodies.”

“Yes. Unfortunately Shulgi interfered before my plan was fully complete. I had to improvise... and then the Star League razed the Earth in fear. Fools, all of them. I would have brought that information with me to a new reality, where our creators hold no sway. ”

“How would you do that?”

“It’s simple. You just have to observe the possibility of a universe without their influence.”

“Then… no. You are not being entirely truthful with me. How do you carry the information over? How do you ensure you keep the data intact, and that everyone can be reconstructed?“

He is silent for a moment, and then breaks out into another fit of laughter. “Oh, you have grown sharp, haven’t you? There is no guarantee, I admit. But such is the nature of salvation. You have to have faith to be saved. Those with fear and the willpower sparked from it will regain their identity in the sea of minds. Those without will slumber in ignorance. Yes, the data may degrade, but all life comes to an end anyway.”

“In the end, we are still talking about the sacrifice of billions on your road to salvation.”

“Do you have any better idea besides your usual hypocritical ways? Tell me, what is the world that you would build?”

What he wants would mean escaping this sandbox of the gods, into a world where only those with the will to do so would be able to regain sentience and physical form. Do I agree with his methods and his goal?

If I had to build my own world, the immortals and their masters stand in my way. I would have to slay those gods that would not bend to me, before I can create a world that:

A. Emphasizes strength, be it physical or mental. Humanity is best served by advancing through merit. In such a world there is no place for the weak.

B. Emphasizes equality, where everyone is treated fairly; from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

C. Emphasizes freedom; I will not overthrow the gods just to replace them with myself. Whatever comes after, good or bad, it is up to humanity to decide.

However, perhaps I…

D. Agree with him. Will is paramount; regardless of skill or talent or background, only those who have a strong will are the ones that deserve to survive.

“I see. Interesting. At any rate, are you sure you have time to be talking with me like this?” He grins upon hearing my answer, even as he mocks me. “Your precious friends could be in danger even now. Should you not hurry?”

A. I will stay to the end, listen to his – my – story, and know everything he knows. Only then will I be able to fully accept this ghost from my past and the whole extent of my powers.

B. I will take from him what power I can and leave. There is no need to understand anything more about this lunatic, no more need to waste any time on him. I can always return to finish him off another time, when I require more power.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    BA

I think we should get the full story here - incomplete information can be dangerous, especially what with the whole Rei/Kyrie's ghost/Inanna flower situation. Let's trust our comrades to carry out their missions.

^ Top  
  6. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    BAndwagon.

^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Ugh, equality...

Freedom or strength, anything but the democrat answer.

Also, I don't like the idea of leaving him in our mind with the shackles unbound without fully understanding his capabilities and influence. Considering how we voted in the last option, giving him the chance to possess us when we come close to the Inanna flowers seems like a very bad idea.

AA

^ Top  
  8. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    BAnana Wagon

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Treave did let Erika warn us that we need to finish this now that the cube has been opened. So that makes the second choice somewhat easier. One thing to consider though, sitting there, listening to him, is he gaining power while we do that? Is it contrary to our purpose? Would it be smarter to try and force a finish?

I don't quite think so. So for the second choice, it seems I'll be getting on the bandwagon.

As to the first. Well. It seems our previous choices point towards Senya not being terribly freedom-minded and self-negating, so I feel C would mesh poorly with the choices picked so far. That leaves A, B and D. We seem to have agreed that the psychopath is just that. Nuts. So I'm leery about D.
    Should we go for the StarTrek society of equality (the perfect communistic dream?) or do we praise strength? Or is it all up to willpower?
    If the new universe is truly without gods, then why would we need to always strive towards strength? For what conflict would we be preparing?

As such, I'll say Live long and Prosper..

BAndwagon. :salute:

^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I can't believe this!
    You guys do understand that Senya's chatacter isn't set in stone yet, right? This is the choice that actually decides his morality/whatchamacallit. I really don't understand where this is coming from.
    Bro, please. From our very awakening, the plan was "Fuck fate! No gods , no masters." Never once had we made a choice thwt contradicted that. Never once has Senya do anything remotely close to this communist creed of "from each according to ability, to each according to need." Why do we now, for reasons unknown, flop to it.

The goal is and always was to remove and defeat the oppressive interstellar faggots that think they have a right to to toy with lives and it never was about creating some pretentious utopia.
    [​IMG]

CB, it's the only correct choice.

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Posting from a bus in Ireland because what the fuck is up woth this BA shit? It contradicts everything about Senya and our choicea, down to the Kyrie & academy days. Don't do it, don't do the decline, This isn't Ean

CA for now

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A - Shulgi
    B - Ean
    C - Senya
    D - Dio

I would like to go with BA but I just don't see that ending well with Senya. CA.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Wait, what new universe? Bro, you understand that this psychopath was talking about migrating into another reality that is not controlled by the Masters(a problem, since the Masters have dominion over more than one), dumping out the biomass of deconstructed humans and letting those with "will" to emerge from it (kinda like Tolkien's orcs). Or something.

Thing is, we're staying right here, in our reality, with our Terra and fighting for them, and humanity, to the death. I can understand going for strength (which will most likely lead to a dominating Empire), freedom (probably a society inspired by the traditions of the Shin'ar, acquisition of wealth and knowledge) or even the Nietzschean concept of will (no idea what this will lead to).

The communust option seems completely baseless, unsolicited and, to be frank, pretentiously wangsty ("Waah, the world is unfair, so I will make it fair, waah!" I thought Senya got over that back in chapter fucking one.)

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Let me see if I understand this. The nanomachines store biological information (for living beings it would be dna,I'm assuming) and that explains the regenerative powers of Immortals. That also means that those disassembled are not really dead, if we retreive at least one nanomachine containing, say, Kyrie's DNA, it should, theoretically, be able to rebuild her. Right?

So, Rei is going to the Innana flower, containing nanomachines that bear Ean's DNA, and will likely pump them full of energy? The results should be interesting. I am tempted to postpone this conversation until later just so we can make it there and be present during the process. This new information will very likely make a difference in what happens.

As for the "hivemind," maybe that's why Kyrie's connection is unclear: she is too far from the nanomachines to get a good signal and getting closer to them will let her give us the full story.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Wrong interpretation. The information isn't stored inside any physical construct. Hence being free. How Senya came across this knowledge is something uniquely to do with him. Attending the process or not has the potential for other ramifications, but not further revelations on nanomachines, information and related stuff.

The nanites that disassembled their victims were all wiped out in the bombardment by the way. If even one made it out it'd have continued eating the Earth.

^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Actually I think Ean would fall under A as well. I remember back when we took over Marduk's empire, we recruited the best and brightest for government and our science initiatives, even if they had affiliations with Marduk's government. Senya, while he has moments of benevolence, is rather cold and calculating. As such I'll vote AA, but flop to CA if BA is winning.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, him saying that he wanted to bring it somewhere automatically means there is some kind of storage for this information. Now you're saying it's not a physical storage. That means he either memorized all that information or...

Right, our planet's moon-sphere is an egg of another reality. How clever. This guy is starting to give me a very Naram-like vibe, with the whole faith, reality and willpower thing. Are Rei and Senya his remnants?

Edit: ScubaV, I think Ean was a mix of C and A, he valued excellence, but he wasn't a totalist about. He also fought for the freedom of his reality from the Masters.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It stands to reason that if you get all of his knowledge and memories you'll find out what he had planned with no ambiguity left. I'm not seeing what the fuss is about. There's no real need for speculation, unless you pick 2B.

1A and B require that you rule, if you want to impose a new law on society. 1C means you leave it to everyone else to decide what kind of world they want to live in. It just won't be a world controlled by immortals.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because it's fun. And, yes, I'm considering 2B. I really want Senya by the flower with this new information.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, speculate away then. You're also wrong about the sphere though.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    About the sphere, but not about Naram-master, eh? :troll:
    He is the only one of the original trio who actually had comprehension of the other side. Maybe that is where our peculiar powers come from.

And you still haven't told me if that master who possesed him was Yahweh.
    Edit: building an Empire with Senya at the helm sounds hella fun, though.
    Edit 2:
    I thought they were virtually indestructible. Even being dropped into a sun didn't destroy them.

And, yeah, flopping to 2B. I really want to know what exactly can we do with our knowledge of nanomachines. Regenerate Ean, infuse Rei/ourself/humanity with superpowers? This can have a huge impact on both wars. We can deal with the wanker after.

^ Top  
  22. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    This is more of a question of philosophy. What does "equally" mean? Does it mean that all men should be the same or that they should be treated with equal rights, although them being different ? If it's the first then making everyone equal, like, the same, is, in my opionion, morally wrong AND stagnant from an evolutionary standpoint. If it's about treating men equally and fairly, as in an ideal of justice and fairness, then I would be inclined to follow on that. Although the socialists tried something like this and history has shown me how noble ideas can be easily corrupted into horrible dictatorships.

A is simply too inhumane for me to choose. I'm not even considering it.

And C. Yes. C would do. Do we have the right to choose for everyone ? I believe not. Ordinary men and women should decide how their future should look.

As for the second choice, I'll let you guys handle it. If we stay something might happen outside and we might lose someone because of this. But if we leave there might be worse consequences.
    C.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You're wrong about the Naram thing too. And you're confused about the nanomachines. I said the ones the immortals have were virtually indestructible.

As for 2B, not to sway anyone away from the choice but you are entirely on the wrong track too because right now you don't have too much knowledge of nanotechnology by virtue of not having merged with the 'wanker' yet.

'He' knows what can be done. You don't. Especially since we skipped nanotech focus in favor of black holes. 2B has you taking power, not understanding, because that is the quick way to recover in time.

There is a rather important reason why you might or might not want to tag along on the mission but this is not it. Do continue to speculate though. :troll:

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh, you naughty tease you.

I dunno, maybe our nanites are connected to Innana flowers and Kyrie is just a voice of another sort. This is weird as fuck, kind of reminds me of the Matrix, when Neo starts to finally understand the source code.

Maybe we'll finally get in contact with Kyrie's informant, or maybe (and most likely) Rei will herp and derp for a little while , not knowing what to do without Kyrie on the spot (since she seems to only follow Senya), decide to nab the flower and break it during her assault on the orbital support batteries.

Anyway, I think it's in our best interest to attend to the flower personally, since it's the last of it's kind and shit.

^ Top  
  25. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    If Rei is the creator and Senya is the destroyer and we're about to absorb/assimilate/learn from our more extreme destructive side, we probably shouldn't be near the Inanna flower even if we have good control. Hopefully 2A will put us out of commission for long enough.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.