Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Guys, I'm not sure about C. As far as the lower officers are concerned, (1) Public Enemy no.1 of the Universe + weird alien is apparently the target of the Empire's ire, with no real reason to disbelieve it; (2) Federation leadership is being pretty idiotic; (3) There has been no positive proof whatsoever that Senya and his faction's combat capacity and thus chances of victory. Why would anyone come over to our side now? Despite our campaign on Earth and our association with Iannes we still remain at least as suspicious as Julia and the Federation, and we don't have any reputation as a 'winning side'.

I'm thinking A is necessary before we can start turncoating, though there's a risk this will finally unite the squabbling Federation elites... hopefully Senya Awakened + Sekhenun is enough when that happens.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    My concern precisely. Which is why I'm going for C: Senya's bullshitting skills are nothing short of masterful. I bet we can leverage Kyrie's false death, the squabbling and incompetence of their superiors and Marduk's approach to get a good chunk onto our side. The rest have too good a chance to unite them.

Besides, our father's ambush seems to have gone ss planned. That should be enough proof of our skills. I have faith in C.

^ Top  
  3. *sigh* Why must you think of me as some jar-obsessed lunatic, Azira? Yes, I do have a seven part master plan for putting Sek's head in a jar and yes, reviving her is step 4 - but I fail to see why you expect me to bring it up every update... :M
    edit:
    Though seriously D - Head. Jar. Now.
    (if D doesn't take it, then B>A Not really sure right now...)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Why do you guys think it's a bright idea to strike at the Fed directly and in mass, with our miniscule fleet? This will likely just unite them into a coherent force. Humiluate or undermine should be our goal here. In fact, if C is losing, pin me for A. Although, what's Senya's plan in C, just roll up and "hey, wanna join my super-cool rebel band? We have tentacles."
    Considering what Ean's mind went through with the Spheres, I think the roles should be reversed, no? :lol:
    What were they doing for that thousand years anyway, talking?

And I guess this whole numbers and infirmation thing makes Senya the more XTREME version of Neo.

^ Top  
  5. Yeah, I'd like to hear a little more of the plan for each too. I doubt we can actually pull off B without holes or some other sort of dirty trick being involved...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Sekhenun: :love:

Possibility of Ean: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We've got to be able to get Ean back in time to face Marduk. That would just be too...EPIC!

As for the current vote, right now I'm C>A>B, but I could be persuaded to switch C with A.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, if we get him in time, I'm definitely ramming our CF into Marduk's ship and landing Ean and Co. in. Just for AWESOME!

Or setting up an ambush on Earth, wouldn't that be ironic?

^ Top  
  8. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'd also love to see how treave writes Ean from an outsider's perspective (hopefully without the Codex derp that accompanies direct control).

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Ahem
    Although, I'm pretty sure having most of the Innana destroyed didn't do him any favors. Marduk, on the other hand, feasted on planets.
    :smug:
    All in a day's work for our bros.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A involves catching the Federation main fleet in an ambush, swooping in and disabling their flagships. It'll require lots of hit and run tactics and high-mobility maneuvers. The aim is to make fools of them, not inflict casualties.

B has you hitting a major Federation base while its fleet is stationed there, Pearl Harbour style. You will destroy as many of their warships and military assets as you can before they eventually mobilize. The aim is to inflict as many casualties as possible.

C will be a cloak & dagger meeting with some of the more influential officers in the Federation armed forces. They have not expressed outright disagreement with their superiors' policies but dissent is brewing. You are there to offer them an alternative way to fight for humanity instead of being stuck with the Federation. Regarding the victory track record; you have your reputation as a pilot, and tales of your ship-ramming exploits and daring raid into Imperial space have started to spread. Your comrades in the Autonomous Fleet have some contacts with the Federation's military proper.

Something to note with C; most of the rank and file of the Federation military are taking in Fed propaganda hook line and sinker. It's the more well-informed, higher ranking officers that you have the opportunity to convince. If you succeed, it will not result in the entire military defecting. You could pull away 10%, maybe 20% of their troops - though these are likely to be their elite due to the officers in charge - not enough to equalize the numbers, but if executed at the right time extremely crippling. The morale blow to the Federation would also be significant.

Then again, it's risky - on the other hand you could blow it all and end up with little to show for your efforts. Since all three choices will need your hands-on involvement to stand the greatest chance of success, you'll have to decide what to do.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, C seems the most useful, in both the long and short terms.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Right, looks like it's time to throw in a tidbit of information that might cause you guys to think twice about C then.

Vic Gradius Camna will be at the meeting. :troll: He is an influential officer after all.

Naim won't be, of course. No one's going to invite Julia's lapdog, they're not that dumb.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Even better: he joins us or ceases to exist. Too dangerous to be left as an enemy.

^ Top  
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Too dangerous to be left as an ally too, I daresay.

After hearing more, A or B sounds optimal. C seems like it could be too finicky.

A

^ Top  
  15. Camna? Ugh. I can just smell the betrayal incoming:

Erika: "We've drawn them in, Senya. The enemy are falling for our trap."
    Senya: Excellent. Yua, send Camna the signal. His forces should press in on the enemy from the rear, closing the trap.
    Yua: Signal sent! ...um... It looks like he's responding with a strange message, Master. A picture. I'm not sure what it means...
    Senya: Let me see...
    Yau: On screen:
    :troll:
    Senya:
    :rage:

edit: seriously, treave. Do we have a personality profile on Camna? We are/were an information broker, right?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    By all accounts, he is not an orator or a gregarious leader of men, taking a workmanlike approach to his profession. In personal interaction he is stoic and firm, preferring not to speak unless necessary. But on rare occasions, he will voice his opinion, and at that time the men will listen. Besides his reputation in the Federation, he has received rare accolades from the Star League because of his piloting skill, which has turned the tide in more than one battle during the war against the Empire. He does not have the outright popularity or fame of Naim, and is being prevented from progressing in rank by the Federation elite. If he had been more of a firebrand, or outspoken in his views, he would have been discharged from the military a long time ago. As it is, his loyalty to the Federation, or at least the ideal of it, his reluctance to rock the boat (too much), and his passivity in political affairs continues to make him a useful tool for them. He personally believes that the Federation is Earth's best hope for a common government, and does not think power should be concentrated in the hands of any one man, no matter how brilliant or noble.

In personal life, he has a wife and one son. Although part of the powerful Camna clan, his refusal to leverage his military reputation for their political gain has left him somewhat of a black sheep in the family. I suppose you could say that he is the consummate soldier, a disciplined professional with an ideal.

^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    But, then again, is this wise? Goading them in such a manner will likely "awaken a sleeping giant," as another Japanese tactician (maybe) said. If we'll remind them of ourselves in such a fashion, they just may get their shit together and attack en masse. And we don't yet have the technology to take them like that, ambush or straight fight. I'm starting to become wary of A.

I see another problem with C: how will we convince these commanders we really are the winning side? I'm thinking we'll have to reveal our black hole tech to them and trust in their confidentiality. Which may be a problem with Camna: maybe he's not like his originator, or maybe he is. Why not just erase him from existence, I'm sure Sek can provide us with plenty of details.
    Thoughts, guys?

Edit:
    I think we can find common ground here.
    Or is he? I guess we'll have to find out. :troll:

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You'll likely be asked to do something to earn their trust.

^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Give up Sek, maybe, and Ean fighting the fleet in a giant Mega Mech along with her? NEVER! Hell no. That, or disclose our black hole engine. Not optimal.

Going for B, since I don't see the sense in provoking their ire and fighting them full-force.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    :retarded:

It's not the flip that's retarded, mind you, it's the assumption about what they will be asking for.

A - 3
    B - 2
    C - 3

Waiting for a tie-breaker.

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yeah. I don't get that Baltika vote either. Doing the Pearl Harbor thing on them will not provoke their ire?!?

It certainly worked out beautifully for the Japanese during WWII... :M

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It will, but they will be weaker and more demoralized. Or outraged and pissed. I know it's a drastic flop, but I don't want to put Sek or our research at risk. And considering the officers will want us to show loyalty/usefulness to the cause, they'll probably adk for the alien that may doom them all. I don't want to do that.

I also don't see the advantage of A.

Edit: flopped to B to stall, mostly, but too late now.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, we skipped that train. Our future lies here, with this planet and this reality and the will not fall!

...oh, who am I kidding?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    That should be an interesting scene.

^ Top  
  25. m4davis Scholar

m4davis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.