Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Like so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFWjbNY7fiY ? (go to 1:40 and watch, in terror, seven times)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Guys, I think this is ULTIMATE CHOICE time, or near to it.

Guys, do we really want to try to enslave the guy with +1000000 Willpower, who went a eternity through a uncomprehensile void and then spent millions of years in a debate with a God-like AI? Dio got so many sanity checks his negative sanity points went positive. Another man would've been utterly broken. EAN would've been broken.

On other other hand, do we want to stick Senya or someone else there?

Like I said, our main candidates seem to be:
    1) Dio
    2) Docile-Dio
    3) Senya
    4) Ean (and perhaps Sekh along for the ride)
    5) Shulgi

@treave Is the Observer unable to act or he doesn't chose to do so? Could someone with his powers be a active God?

Ean barely got a break in his life, always fighting or sleeping, closest thing he ever had to peace was being a transcendent energy being with Sekh. Guy never had a chance to, say, raise children or just stop fighting. I'm also afraid that with Ean/Gilgamesh back, we just introduced a restless warlord into the universe and now Ean will, every two thousand years or so, play God-Emperor of Mankind or super-hero to stav off the tedium. Shulgi would't mind, through. I think Ean is ultimately restless, and I'm not sure he's the best guy to become God. Ean/Gilgamesh is also the best guy to rule humanity in the new world and make sure it is safe.

Shulgi never had a break either, but he stayed active a lot more time than Ean did. He seemed content in secretly playing Civilization with Earth, staying in shadows, preparing humanity for what was to come, sometimes stepping up and moving a pawn or two or adressing a threat. Treave told us he was getting tired of life and a bit afraid of obtaining power because Dio reminded him of his unscrupulous young self. Wonder if he will mind becoming a All-Seeing God?

Dio believes in making one's fate, which is all well and good, but Dio spent incountable time being stark-raving bonkers and then emerged colder and evilier than ever. Rory and Mikey say they can control him with Programmajicks, but these idiots flopped IAE and think they can CONTROL Diogenes Camna. Only death could stop Dio, and perhaps not even that. Dio as God might be good... or all will suffer in eternal pain as DIOS torments and manipulates all life for his sick pleasure. Docile Dio might be a benevolent god who does stuff when needed (say, get rid of ghosts) and stays passive and content watching creation, or he might be IAE 3.0.

Senya is IAE 2.0. Senya is a master observer. But... do we want another Observer? Senya is already a very emotionally detached guy (I don't think anyone other than Shulgi or Dio got a rise out of him, and both are master trolls). Ean could barely see Earth when he was a energy entity, and Ean CARES about almost everyone. Senya doesn't. I'm afraid God-Senya is going to forget his original goals, or just do what he wanted (put humanity into a real world, bring the ones he killed back, get rid of the Unseen) and then return to observing stupidly.

Also I'm not sure we want a passive God like IAE just to observe and stuff. There's still the Ghostapocalypse and other things too.

So Dio will be there dancing forever?
    Wait a moment... That reminds me of something...

^ Top  
  3. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Devious isnt it? :smug:
    Dirty dancing all nigh long.:dance:

PS. As for godhood Dio is probably best option if he only wish to be at the top of food chain, not to benefit from it.

^ Top  
  4. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'm curious how Dio would behave if he did theoretically achieve ultimate power. He's unfathomably ruthless, but I can't recall him ever being cruel just for fun or vengeance. His atrocities were only committed to achieve his goals. Then again, if that's all he knows...

@treave, what does the lockdown mean? Would it be temporary (albeit in the range of 6 billion years)? And how does it prevent a reset? Perhaps just maintaining the status quo, which really isn't a permanent solution.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This is a good point. Once he achieves his goal of ultimate power, well, what then? If you are omnipotent and omniscient, there are no goals you can't accomplish. I'm curious if the Masters plan on using this against him to subdue him if they're going to make him the next Slave-God.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Well, it's probably temporary, but you don't know how long exactly. Locking down means that the whole dimension 'inside' the Great Idea will be cut off from the rest of the multiverse. The Masters will be unable to contact Senya's universe, so they can't give the signal for it to reset, etc. Nothing will be getting in or out.

As for the current Observer, it really isn't fettered by any rules except one: observe everything you can.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    One of two things: consilidate his power and purge his enemies, or search for MOAR POWAH!

^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    You know, now that I think about it....
    Yeah, I don't remember Dio ever being a dick for no other point than pure dickery.

At first, Dio wanted to become a big player in Imperial politics, and he did.
    Then the Ean thing came up and Dio wanted to become Ean by devouring him.
    Then Dio found out about the Naram-Master and he wanted to become a God like him.
    Then Dio was sent to IAE, and he now wants to become God.

Dio seems a lot like those villains that want to become Gods, or conquer the universe, for no reason reason other than becoming a God or conquer the universe. Might be incredibly vulnerable to a "... and then WHAT?" from Senya, Ean or Shulgi.

All the while comiting numerous murders, saying a lot of lies and comiting a lot of atrocities on the way. Dio actually seemed to have some moral scruples in the beginning. But Dio never killed, murdered or lied simply for teh evulz that I can remember. Possible exceptions seem to be what Dio did to Lady Joan, there seems to be some implications Dio mind-fucked her into being his sex slave. In fact, Senya seems somewhat more psychotic than Dio in certain aspects.

Then again, do we want to trust existance to a eons-old Ean Sucessor that spent eons going crazy in the void until he came out sane? Who is also the most dangerous and cunning motherfucker in existance?

Once Dio has no more enemies and MOAR POWAH... then what? Dio goes on to meditate existance? Play Creator God?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    UNLIMITED POWAH!
    Even when he was head honcho of the Empire, he was much more focused on deatroying his rivals and reaching for the next stage of power, namely, becoming a god.
    Treave did say that Creation is far from being completely observed, so Dio opeeating at his normal character would probably proceed to observing and dominating the rest of Everything, which will take him a couple of billions of years.

Once he's done with that, well, go beat up other gods, I guess? He'll find someone to fuck over, I'm sure.

^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Some considerations:

1. I think its a good thing we didn't kill Dio, the Rory and Mikey did give us some interesting info, I'm not sure they would've told us if we killed him, then again they might've, Senya is their only way to enter.
    2. Who told IAE Corps to make IAE? The fact IAE was a substitute observer means there was a previous (defective) observer before. Hell, for all we know we're trapped inside a circle of defective Observers getting made and then replaced by creatures revolting against the previous set of Masters. The "whole exploding the house to enter" made me think the Masters are INTENTIONALLY fucking with the multiverse and causing the Ghostapocalypse to get at IAE.
    3. I get a feeling the "best ending" was Rei becoming the new Observer.
    4. Is that Dio going to the EPIC BATTLE? Time for MECHA-DIO to rise! Fuck, we need to get Senya there PRONTO into a mech and blow all these Vajras with the Anihilator Cannon!
    5. I'm afraid of doing a apotheosis near the BRO TEAM, else THEY become the New masters. Seems kind of a torment to eternally be Custodians.

Personally, I'm split between letting Dio do his stuff and sabotaging them with a lock-up so Senya can return to reality and fuck up these Master idiots before doing his own apotheosis.

... and then what? What happens once Dio has seen all, done all, fucked up over every other God, etc? Creator God? Cosmic Suicide? Engineer somesort of rival to rise so he can crush it to stave off the tedium?

There are other considerations as well:

1. Does Dio gives a shit about the dead from the Gray Death? Senya cares, Shulgi cares, Ean and Sekh care, Adrahasis seems like a pretty empathic guy who hates excessive bloodshed, so he would care as well.
    2. Will Dio kill all our loved characters? Dio never became a God because of Ean and Sekhenun, they've all been fighting against his "colleagues" in the Masters. I want to see Ean, Shulgi, Sekhenun, Adrahasis, Ioannes, Kyrie and all others end up well. He might not give a shit anymore, or he might kill them all because they are a danger to him.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, Ean would be the best choice for an observer: we established his character as a ruler during the "Empire" phase, and his prime concern was always taking care of the underdog(s) and setting wrongs right, not glory or conquest. Plus, as you yourself said, he already had a transcendent experience, he knows what it is to be a god/demigod. 'Sides, due to their connection, Sekh will most likely ascend with him and she can put the sense back into him, see Ean's last chapter.

That is, if Senya will want to put a new god on the throne in the first place. The whole "no gods, no masters" from the previous chapters may yet bite us in the ass. Or solve all our problems with the application of "Tactical Genius, hurr." We'll see.

By the way, @treave, if only one the previous Gilgamesh's shards landed on a planet and became the Gieloth race, what happened to his other shards? Still drifting in space?

^ Top  
  12. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    A - B sounds like it would backfire and make Dio an unlimited god, rather than a slave-god. C sounds like the only way to have our cake and eat it - minus Kyrie of course.

B

edit: @treave, what would B do exactly? Do we get a choice of how to sabotage it?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Marduk found one fragment. Afterwards the Dragon Emperor took it all back, including the Gieloth.

As for the sabotage, it'd be like throwing a monkey wrench into the machine. Metaphorically. Do you want to have a choice on how to sabotage it?

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Better judgement says no.

I say hell yes!

^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    So that's why the Dragon Emperor wanted Selkhet, because she was the last fragment left? Althrough at first he wanted to take her as a bride, but from what Adrahasis says and the last Ean update said, the Dragon Emperor was less of a person and more of a collection of disjointed Ean-Gilgamesh-Marduk thoughts/ideas/memes hoped on the wrong frame (Marduk's, not Ean) - GOD-EMPEROR OF MANKIND, conquer the universe, fuck the Masters, Devour/Take Selkhet/Sekhenun as bride, DEVOUR SOUL.

Its just me or there was earlier a opportunity for Ean to embody the Great Devourer if Senya let the Dragon reach Earth and ambushed him with Ean?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    I think there were much, much earlier chances for Ean to become the Devouring Emperor. Something dating way back to the Olympus showdown.

^ Top  
  17. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Makes me wonder what would have happened had we let humanity become gieloth hybrids...
    Hmm. Throwing a wrench into a machine that controls all the universes. What could possibly go wrong?

As for the choice, I thought it'd be to add some restrictions of our own devising to Dio's slave program or to do as you suggest and simply sabotage it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You wouldn't really have the time or opportunity to do anything fancy. Maybe if you had gone to the IAE headquarters earlier and dug around there, you'd be more familiar and better prepared for this, but apparently a library is a good place to get actually useful information about a reality-altering god-machine.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    B-but the library is for learning... :retarded:

Frick'n Reading Rainbow fill'n mah head w LIES!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Ah. Well, if that's the case. Can't have Dio becoming the god here. I think we just might have to kill the poor schmucks. I've flopped. +M

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Could we not subdue Mikey and Rory in some way without offing them, though? Dio was surprisingly disappointed when we chose not to harm him, and I'm not sure why that is yet. But if we've chosen not to kill him, we should stick with that decision. The Masters we're with have begun to trust us, plus we are physically much stronger and faster now that we've merged our powers with Rei's, so couldn't we just knock them out before they can react?

@treave, assuming we pick A and the plan works to perfection - Dio's mind is subdued and he becomes a lobotomized husk who can only follow the parameters that Mikey and Rory have put forth, then what is there to do after? If we have a new Observer who can eliminate the ghosts that have accumulated over countless eons, then isn't that it?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, Dio may not be coming back: he's still Ean's successor and I think that Ean, after that juice he got from Gilgamesh, can devour him.
    Sure, Dio is one stubborn bastard, but Ean is too, and now he's infused with a whole civilization.

And if Dio isn't coming back, then what? I think we should be better acquainted with the system through B.

^ Top  
  23. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    No, if we pick A, that doesn't matter because it would involve transplanting Dio's consciousness into the Observer. What I'm curious about is who the Observer was prior to all of this? Despite having nearly unlimited power, this Observer is pretty benign - I'm betting that it's one of the people that worked alongside the Masters on this project.

You mean, the system we don't know and didn't learn about when we had the chance to. That system, right? If they have a plan in place and now they can finally put it to work, why fuck with it? Yes, Dio has a supreme force of will, but if they can somehow lobotomize him, maybe he can be controlled - we might cause more harm in trying to influence things than we would in letting them run their course.

I suppose we could transplant the Observer's consciousness with say, Ean's, but the issue is that we simply have no idea how the Observer works and we don't have time to here.

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Their plan consists of putting Dio into the same machine he defied for eons. I don't think a piece of softwarecan keep him down and if they want to place a lobotomized Dio in there, that's bad news for us: he'll just be their puppet and these pricks are not our friends.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    As long as they have Vajra equipped you'll have to work to disable or defeat them. Knocking out is not an option.

As for if A works, that could be it. Depending on whether Senya will let it all go or insist on bringing the system down. If it works. There are yet a couple of hands he has yet to play, though it's not yet revealed for narrative purposes. Suffice to say he thinks he has a chance against Iae and the Masters just by himself, even if it's a small chance.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.