Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Okay, so the crux of it I guess is this: if we pick A, we put our trust in the Masters that have admitted to fucking up more or less all the time*, if we pick B we would be tampering with something that we don't know, and if we pick C we put all our chips on a hail mary victory against the Masters and Iae all by ourselves.

* Give them some credit here: over the eons, their tech has improved greatly and now they actually have access to the main console, so there's no question that they can reach the Great Idea this way. However, the overall idea of trying to enslave a being like Dio by putting him in the driver's seat to ultimate power just seems... well, fucking deranged. "Trust us bro, we'll get it right this time!" said Mikey.

Nevertheless, we did see Dio's face get angry, which tells me that he sees Sheldon as a serious threat to him. Senya hasn't met the guy, so I can't say anything one way or another about whether this plan is the right one, but if he's clever enough to get Dio to lose his cool like that, perhaps he's got the right idea.

Voting A for now, still might flop to B. I really could go either way on this one.

^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    A) puts Dio in the driving seat, with the possibility of him being made docile and lobotomized. We're pretty much throwing our hands and hoping that either the lobotomy works or Dio turns out not to be a Demiurge.

I have a feeling Dio will kill the Bro Team and Senya, because they're the only ones who can pose a threat to him. The Masters are no threat to him, he can see them, he knows them and they can't get to him.

B) Is a doozy, but it is a good "fuck Dio" option. Maybe Senya can figure a better way of lobotomizing Dio, he's much smarter than these idiots and manboon "gods".

I'm really unsure of C, because Gilgamesh's tale seems to make clear the reboot ins't instantaneous. I don't think you can incorporate a entire galactic civilization into one person instantly. He fought a war against the Masters while the universe died. I also think physics says its impossible, you need to contract the universe first, and I don't t

Voting C for now, sorry Kyrie and Earth. Mikey and Rory have too much blood on their hands, and I'm not letting the psycho backstabber maniac rule the cosmos.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    @treave, you said that Dio doesn't have to be present for A. How does the consciousness transplant work? Would it, say, suck his mind out in a short time period, essentially interrupting his physical activities?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    First Iae is going to appear. Then they'll drop Dio in. Just a few button presses will do, the hard work in programming the transfer has already been done beforehand.

^ Top  
  5. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    As much as I might doubt the Masters' competency I think I'm going to vote A. Dio decided that whatever Sheldon was up to was more important than keeping tabs on us. A seems like the fastest way to keep him from interfering with Sheldon. A will undoubtedly not work exactly as the Masters intend or that would be too easy and anti-climactic of an ending (meta-gaming here). But we may be able to continue influencing Dio as the new observer after the fact, especially if the other Masters help.

^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And since when are either of them our friends? If the Masters succeed, then they'll just use their new slave-observer to annihilate our invasion force. If Dio breaks free, then everyone is completely fucked.

Senya is a master hacker, he already interacted with master tech (quantum computer) and has a solid grasp on their language. Plus, we hold both sides of the "Great Task Manager" now, making all interactions with it easier. I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out, even if it's just a stalling tactic for Ean, Shulgi, Sek & Co. to get here.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Current tally seems to be:

A - 3
    B - 4
    C - 1

^ Top  
  8. Flopping to B. I don't want the Masters to kill Ean and company after they make Dio their slave. Besides, if we trigger a lockdown, Ean can devour all the Masters and become the new IAE and they won't be able to do anything to end our universe. No gods, no masters. edit: 'cept Ean who will be an awesome Observer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I mean, really? Are we about to trust the same Masters we fought every step of this LP? Just allow them to achieve dominance (or unwittingly make Dio God)? They are not our friends.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Flopping to B. Sabotage seems the best solution. Also I don't believe this "lol Dio cannot into computers" hogwash. Computers are POWER here, computers regulating mega-advanced tecnology, everything from nanomachines to Vajras and pocket dimensions. Dio spent EONS here, and these guys really want us to believe he won't ever think "you know, maybe I should learn 2 computers, because, you know, I like power, and those guys got a advantage over me about that"?

Like hell, I bet Dio is a master hacker by now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    But they can be. Give peace a chance. :(

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Sorry, man. They broke my heart a long time ago. I can't believe anyone who would exterminate those cute and cuddly Gieloth. :(
    That, and experience says to never trust an evil nerd named Sheldon. :lol:

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You could also go C if you hate them so much. Wipe them all out. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  14. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I think there are or were three factions within the Masters:
    Faction 1 or "Let's put Dio to be God" (Stella, the Dog and the rest)
    Faction 2 is "Let's lobotomize Dio and turn him into God" (Mikey, Rory, Sheldon)
    Faction 3 is "Dio is not fit to be a god, he's a menace." (Cooper)

Its not a coincidence that Cooper was sabotaging Dio - First he shows himself to Senya, then he gets discovered and Cooper tries to bail Senya out of the mess through the Star league, Cooper gets himself found and executed. Cooper was also the one who rescued Ean and dissuaded the masters from nuking Earth.

Sure doesn't look like they're giving peace a chance with Ean & cia. Can we still be friends even if we stop Dio from ascending?

I'm really split on the Masters. Sometimes I pity them (the whole "spent billions of years playing cards" talk just underlined the horror of a existance these guys had to deal with). Sometimes I consider them deplorable idiots who let the backstabbing maniac run things. Sometimes I consider them monsters for killing untold ammounts of people. Sometimes I consider them altruists for sticking up and trying to fix the mess instead of, I dunno, saying "fuck it", hitching a avatar and having constant, decadent pleasure for a few millenia.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    To be fair Ean did just do the equivalent of breaking into a house and then having his buddies drive a tank through the wall. Some force is justified to evict the undesirables.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Alright, what's so bad about B? I know we haven't taken the opportunity to scout out the IAE central, but Sena is a) a master hacker, and b) already operated with a Master-patterned quantum computer. I think we should be able to cobble something extremely trollworthy. Like turning Dio into a cat and setting him up for a cage match with the dog ...yeah.
    Honestly, the way I see it is this: our (the Masters') original dimension encountered some bullshit with the Unobserved, who were in the process of assimilating their dimension, and after repeatedly failing to wipe them out, created the IAE to turn the tide of war. Problem is, only thirteen nerds (and rapidly getting less) survived, and had to resort to games of extradimensional dickery and manipulation to figure a way out of their predicament, endlessly replaying the history of their universe to find some specific answer as to how to stop the Unobserved.
    And all they succeeded in is pissing off Gilgamesh, Ean and Shulgi. And the whole Gieloth race. Because everyone else is below their awesome genius. Or something.

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Nothing bad about B. All three choices are great choices actually, with their own pros.

The Ghostpocalypse is a problem inherent with the current Observer, that much is already made clear. Also, as per the information in the library, the world at large does not appear to know of any impending apocalypse.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh, even better, they engineered the apocalypse themselves. Nerd rage at it's finest, I guess. :troll:

^ Top  
  19. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The All-Seeing Eye

“Alright, we’re running the program now and forcing Iae to manifest,” says Mikey. “Keep your fingers crossed.” I keep them crossed, a faint smile on my lips.

“Everything looks good – the fight’s spilling over to Earth’s outer atmosphere, but yeah, Sheldon’s got it under control,” says Rory, observing the battle through screens that I cannot see. Multiple tremors shake the facility as the battle rages. I wait. They will exhaust each other out. “The upload’s going smoothly. Iae won’t know what hit it,” reports Mikey. “…and it’s done. Dio should be internalizing the rules about… wait.”

“What’s wrong?” Rory goes over to Mikey in concern.

“I… it can’t-“ Mikey can’t find the words to express himself, and so I answer for him. “Diogenes is rejecting your rules, is he not?”

“How did you – but no, that’s not actually possible.” Mikey grits his teeth, his expression pale.

“Come on, man, don’t fool around. Are you sure you did it right?” says Rory, raising his voice at Mikey. The self-proclaimed code monkey nods his head furiously. “The program would have bound even Iae. It was foolproof.”

“Well, there’s your problem,” I remark. “Diogenes is not Iae.”

“It is still categorically impossible for anything to even resist, let along reject, those rules.”

“Impossible? You have spent untold aeons in languor and forgotten one simple fact. If there is one thing we humans can do, it is making the impossible possible.”

The Masters blink at me.

“What? I thought it was a cool line.” I say, perhaps a bit defensively. Then, it happens. It is a noise that you only notice in its absence – a low, soft buzz; the whispers of the multiverse. The myriad murmurs slow down and fade away until all but one whisper is left. We are now cut off, an isolated pocket dimension where the Masters’ reach cannot touch my universe.

“Oh, fuck,” groans Rory. “Not again.” Mikey glares at me. “What did you do?”

“The impossible.” I grin at him as I raise my hand. With a single gesture I reduce the main control panel of the IAE system into dust. Predictably, the two Masters throw up a shield around themselves, suddenly cautious of me. “What the hell, man? Do you know what that means?” shouts Mikey in a panic.

“Of course. You can’t operate or manipulate the system again,” I laugh. “Don’t worry. You won’t need it anymore. As for what I did before this, I expect your new god will be summoning us for a chat pretty soon.”

It happens faster than I expected. Diogenes reaches towards me right as I finish my sentence – I put up no resistance.

In the blink of an eye, I find myself standing on a flat, white plain. The Earth hangs brilliantly in space, a blue globe frozen in time. All around me are scattered, burning, gigantic wrecks of metal, with real bodies entangled in the fiery hulks - victims of the battle that continues far above me, as tens of thousands of warships pit their strength against thousands of Vajra Shula fortresses. I spot Erika against the hull of a fallen cruiser, the lower half of her robotic body torn away. She stirs, sensing my gaze, and a slight smile spreads across her lips.

What did you do, Hoshikawa Senya?

The voice comes from a gigantic, lidless eye, its iris an iridescent blue.

“I am digging the new look, Diogenes,” I say. “How’s the depth perception, though?”

You think you can take this lightly, but you are wrong. What did you do?

I stare at Diogenes straight in the eye. Before I can answer, multiple streaks of lightning smash into the ground between us. As the smoke clears, I see Ean and Shulgi – I should have known that weasel found a way to survive – in a stand-off against three other Masters. All of them look roughed up and worse for the wear. I hop onto the highest metal wreck in the vicinity and survey them. Immortals, Masters – Stella and the dog appear in a flash, as does Mikey and Rory, who look absolutely terrified – and a fledgling god on the verge of seizing omnipotence and omniscience. I speak to them all.

“It appears that the system has encountered a paradox of sorts,” I begin, as they turn to look at me. “Over there you have the manifestation of IAE, the new Observer of all existence, and so on and so forth.” I gesture vaguely, dismissively in Diogenes’s direction. “And here,” I point at myself, “you have the arbiter. The key to the system. Unfortunately, it still bears the identification of the old Iae, which should have been wiped away in the process. Thankfully, I managed to figure out a way to retain it. The system encountered an error, and resolved it the only way it knew how. By locking down everything. That’s really shoddy programming, by the way.”

“When did you do it?” asks Mikey, his professional interest overcoming his fear.

“The security workstation,” I reply good-naturedly. “You should never have allowed me to touch a computer, but then again you had to, didn’t you? Well, that’s beside the point now.”

“We can undo it,” says one of the Masters, a man with glasses.

“You could, if I hadn’t destroyed the only interface by which you could do so. Just ask Mikey and Rory.” They visibly shrink away when the Master turns to glare at them.

“I am the arbiter and the gatekeeper. None shall pass from this dimension except through my will,” I say. “And it is my will, sincerely, that we all sit down and play cards for eternity.” There are a couple of instinctive groans from the Masters. I see Ean staring at me, a strange expression on his face, while Shulgi has an amused smile.

I will wrest open the gate and tear down your universe for this, Senya. I will not be denied.

“You’re not dropping bullshit on me anymore?” I grin. “It looks like you know exactly how it works. One of us has to die for the other to gain full control over the system.”

Even now, I have more control, young fool.

And I don’t doubt that he does. Despite all my powers, my body is still fundamentally human. I am not invulnerable. I am merely a speck – an immovable, irritable speck, but a speck nonetheless – in the face of the power that Diogenes has gained. His apotheosis is incomplete, but progressing at a rapid rate. He does not see and know all yet, but he will soon become acclimatized to his new powers enough that I will stand very little chance. Ean and Shulgi will no doubt side with me against Diogenes, no matter what they might decide after. The Masters are a tough call – I suspect Diogenes’s rejection of their rules have led them to decide that his nature may be too dangerous to be controlled, but I do not know if they will side against him.

Kyrie appears by my side.

“The conditions are cleared,” she says. “You can begin the process at any time.”

“I won’t do it if I don’t have to,” I reply.

“Maybe,” she shrugs. “You know it doesn’t matter to me, since you can’t be anything more than an idiot.”

I will need a way to overcome Diogenes. There are not many ways that I can reliably do so now.

A. Thankfully, the Sword of Ean has managed to survive the battle intact, and apparently the bomb has too. With my current powers I should be able to constrain the damage to a limited area. I ram the Sword of Ean into Diogenes’s Eye and detonate the Jupiter Bomb while he is still vulnerable.

B. The return of my powers of creation as well as establishing my credentials as the arbiter of the system allows me to draw upon the billion victims of the Gray Death. They will become a source of my power, fueling my strength to greater heights.

“Arbiter,” one of the Masters calls out, the man with the spectacles. “My name is Sheldon, and I am offering you a proposal.”

I thought we were friends, Sheldon, says the eye mockingly. You are just delaying the inevitable. My victory.

“Your friends tend to meet a nasty end, Diogenes,” laughs Sheldon, before he resumes addressing me. “Arbiter, I have a proposal. Whoever takes Iae’s place really does not matter to me, but I have a score to settle with your friends over there.” He points a finger at Ean and Shulgi. “If you allow us to work out our issues in another arena, we will leave you to discuss with Diogenes on how best to resolve this little impasse the both of you are in without interfering.” If the Masters did interfere – all seven of them – they would make my task of handling Diogenes significantly harder.

“Unfortunately, I have a score to settle with Diogenes,” says Shulgi. “I refuse this proposal.”

“I am of a mind with Shulgi. We can work this out here,” replies Ean as he raises his swords.

A. I approve of having a battle royale right here. I’ll take on both Diogenes and the Masters if that is how they want to play it.

B. I persuade Ean and Shulgi to battle the Masters somewhere else, so that I can deal with Diogenes one to one.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :yeah:
    Is it possible to restore those disassembled to life in our universe? And are we also using Kyrie for it?

I told you we'd come up with an awesome troll. Even Ean and Shulgi approve.

^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You'll burn them up as fuel.

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I meant if we don't use them for fuel. And what about Kyrie, or did she separate herself from the mass?

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Not in the current universe, no.

^ Top  
  24. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    So the bomb may or may not explode?

^ Top  
  25. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    A - Let's set Dio up the bomb!
    A - Perhaps some of the Masters won't be willing to side with Dio on Sheldon's orders. One (Stella?) had an understanding with Shulgi. Mike and Rory might be distraught by Cooper's fate.

By the way, any sign of Adrahasis?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.