Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We can run through what people are likely to have seen, and how they are likely to react:

1) The soldiers see the both of you get on the boat and row out to the center of the river. Will they or will they not be paying full attention to you afterwards?
2) The boat is smashed. This should attract some attention from the noise if nothing else. Will anyone be able to identify that the animal in the water just seconds before was a cow?
3) The two of you do not surface. At this point people will be alerted. Perhaps a rescue party will be organized once word gets out to the higher-ups. The soldiers might dive in to search for you, though of course you are long gone by the time they reach the spot.

Stylistically, the forests and mountains are drawn in rather the same manner as my map. That is, you draw the forest as a canopy with lines under it being trees, the mountains like mine also are drawn off ridgelines. I think there were ways to do a map that didn't seem so similar to mine, wjw, and I'm a little disappointed.

Even though this map was posted later, wjw first showed me his work in that artstyle in late September, ridges and canopies and all. I'm fairly certain any similarities are just coincidence. Unless of course you're being tongue-in-cheek about the genericness of common terrain stylings on maps, which I hope you are.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Where to begin with? Oh yeah with this :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
This one was totally worth of the clusterfuck we are in right now and not to mention this opens some very interesting options.

I am voting for A

We probably end up being accused as murderer and our relationship with methussian will plum, but I WILL BE DAMMNED IF I AM GOING WITHOUT A FIGHT TO ACCEESS METHUSSIAN MAGICAL LIBRARY DAMMIT!
Besides I am sure that Soul of wisteria is quiet eager to come back to see, if a cow really torpedead her both, because that is quiet WTF way to die:lol:
Also Rin, never change girl:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) The soldiers see the both of you get on the boat and row out to the center of the river. Will they or will they not be paying full attention to you afterwards?
Wait, are you saying that it happened in their sight? I was under an impression that we spent some time on the river while the current/rowing carried us away far enough for these two not being a problem.

Though I don't see how this matters. Two people go on a boat tour and don't return, their bodies are not found while the remains of the boat float to the shore. You don't have to have a witness to know that they have either drowned or fled the city. And if we ever surface again - which of course we would - it would be clear which one it is.

2) The boat is smashed. This should attract some attention from the noise if nothing else. Will anyone be able to identify that the animal in the water just seconds before was a cow?
A cow in the water is very unlikely. Unless someone watched us really closely - which we may have warranted by our actions - most would assume it was a dolphin or something. Even Wist did until Lucy got in her melee-torpedo range.

I am not sure what to make out of this, except that sweeping everything under a rug would be difficult, and it would require a pretty tall story. :M

Also Rin, never change girl:lol:
:love:

Even if she drowns the entire Royal Family, she will always be our No.1.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Possibly. Though they may just talk among themselves.

A cow is a pretty large animal, but who in their right mind would expect a cow to be in the water, let alone attack a boat?

3) The two of you do not surface. At this point people will be alerted. Perhaps a rescue party will be organized once word gets out to the higher-ups. The soldiers might dive in to search for you, though of course you are long gone by the time they reach the spot.
Ok, this needs to be addressed. It's something of a minor miracle that that Aria and Rin worked together, but how did they get Lucy the cow to go along with their plan?

So, I guess upon reviewing the evidence, it's unlikely anyone will actually believe we had anything to do with it unless we flee the city. I mean unless they have some sort of forensics that can determine that a hyper-strong grip broke her neck.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Oh shit! OH SHIT!
Guys? How long brain go without air before it gets brain damage? I mean she was really long without air guys?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wait, are you saying that it happened in their sight? I was under an impression that we spent some time on the river while the current/rowing carried us away far enough for there being no witnesses.

Not exactly in their sight, no. The river is wide enough that they would have to be really keeping an eye on the two of you for a period of time to notice anything before the crash. If they got bored and busied themselves with regular chatter rather than river-watching, or went off playing cards, then it's entirely possible everything went unnoticed before it happened, but not 100% certain.

Ok, this needs to be addressed. It's something of a minor miracle that that Aria and Rin worked together, but how did they get Lucy the cow to go along with their plan?

She's a very smart cow.

So, I guess upon reviewing the evidence, it's unlikely anyone will actually believe we had anything to do with it unless we flee the city.

It is a possibility that the people who have an axe to grind with you don't actually care about evidence.

Nevill

Arcane
Guys? How long brain go without air before it gets brain damage?
In a world where they can attach limbs or resurrect with magic this is hardly a concern.

But if I remember correctly, some brain cells start to die 5 minutes after the air supply is cut. The brain is sturdy, though, and it has a good amount of extra cells to fall back to, though the patient may need a rehabilitation training if they go without air for too long.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
In a world where they can attach limbs or resurrect with magic this is hardly a concern.

But if I remember correctly, some brain cells start to die 5 minutes after the air supply is cut. The brain is sturdy, though, and it has a good amount of extra cells to fall back to, though the patient may need a rehabilitation training if they go without air for too long.

Oh thank god.
For moment I thought we would end up with retarded wisteria.
I am fairly confident that between us, Rin, Aria and lucy we will be able to convince priests to ressuract wisteria. I am mainly counting on Lucy, Rin and Erd here thought, since Erd should have pretty big motivation+ to not to see hottie remain dead in his hands.

Nevill

Arcane
I am fairly confident that between us, Rin, Aria and lucy we will be able to convince priests to ressuract wisteria.
It might not be a matter of convincing, but a matter of resourses.

That, and there will be people putting pressure on us as well. Those might be more interested in getting rid of us than in restoring a Knight Captain, useful though she may be.

It is going to turn into a contest of politics, probably. The temple's standing in the power structure, its backers and its patrons - they all might have a say in the result.

It is a possibility that the people who have an axe to grind with you don't actually care about evidence.
Ah.
It might not be a matter of convincing, but a matter of resourses.

That, and there will be people putting pressure on us as well. Those might be more interested in getting rid of us than in restoring a Knight Captain, useful though she may be.

It is going to turn into a contest of politics, probably. The temple's standing in the power structure, its backers and its patrons - they all might have a say in the result.
Yeah, things could get rather messy. If indeed a spell exists at all, it is likely that it will be quite expensive - and I don't just mean monetarily. Weekend at Bernies is looking more and more attractive...

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, things could get rather messy. If indeed a spell exists at all, it is likely that it will be quite expensive - and I don't just mean monetarily.
Well, I never said it is going to be easy. But there might still be a way out of this mess.

The way I see it, the Adventurer's Guild is, ironically, our best ally in the Kingdom. They expressed their desire to have our services at their disposal - which they can't if we are executed/convicted, - and they seem to be independent from the nobles somewhat. They might vouch for us, or give us a loan - they do not seem to lack resourses - but there likely will be favors involved. The expedition will probably happen.

Nine Fingers is another opportunity, but I think we all know how this one will end if we ask them anything. :M

For the moment, though, I find it hard to predict the whole range of possible outcomes in any of the choices, given the available info. :?

Last edited:

Geographically, could use a bit more finesse and logic. Two rivers come almost within meeting without a clear watershed dividing them. That would getting washed away in a few years, at best.
relief-map-mesopotamia.jpg

No clear watershed shown, it's unpossibru! :x

Nevill

Arcane
By the way...

..caching in on the favor for a position at the Library does not sound like such a great move now when we can lose it at a drop of a hat (literally), does it? :M

The demand for instant gratification makes me a sad panda.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I enjoy your story very much, treave, and you aren't the person who drew the map.

I did provide the original draft, rivers being too close and all, so a big part of it is on me. :lol:

Yes, the area between the two rivers are - in my mind - on higher ground, but it not being reflected on the map is because I did not think to ask for it, not through any fault of wjw's. Regardless, any artistic similarities to your map is definitely a coincidence. Again, I first saw the mountains in that style a couple of weeks before your map was posted. I know jack-all about cartography, and it's great that you adopted a specific style to convey things in a geographically accurate manner (which I wouldn't be able to do at all), but I do not think that it's fair to imply that wjw's map imitates yours in style.

You might take umbrage at what you deem improper or ill-considered use of terrain style, that's fair and up to you and knowing nothing about map-making I won't get involved in that particular argument, but I feel that's also a different point entirely from your initial comment.

No clear watershed shown, it's unpossibru! :x

In all fairness that map is on quite a bigger scale than this one. Though of course I did the original in 5 minutes in Paint so it was never going to be accurate scale-wise anyway. :M

Well, his sig does kind of give us fair warning, so props for honesty. :salute:
"To suffer in the throes of autism is to be enslaved to a cruel mistress."
---- From the Collected Sayings of Gobblecock the Wise,
Sage of the Ninth Circle of Codexian Wisdoms

lightbane

Arcane
Well, I never said it is going to be easy. But there might still be a way out of this mess.

The way I see it, the Adventurer's Guild is, ironically, our best ally in the Kingdom. They expressed their desire to have our services at their disposal - which they can't if we are executed/convicted, - and they seem to be independent from the nobles somewhat. They might vouch for us, or give us a loan - they do not seem to lack resourses - but there likely will be favors involved. The expedition will probably happen.

For the moment, though, I find it hard to predict the whole range of possible outcomes in any of the choices, given the available info. :?

Yeah, amusingly enough the AG might (keyword: might) save our ass from our incoming imprisonment/slavery/new role as an Angel breeder. Even then, I don't like that the expedition comes so close to the Headquarters. Moreover, we already looted it. Still, we could prepare it to make the place more "convincing": adding traps, wild monsters and dropped weapons that suspiciously have the Barzam heraldry. That way, the Guild loses some manpower, will value Erd's abilities as an adventurer, will make them stay away from the Gobbos village AND we'll create even more of a political shitstorm with Barzam. In any case, we'll end up even more chained to Methuss, be it literally or figuratively.

At least we caused chaos and disorder within the nation, which was one of our primary goals, so it's not all that bad.

Nevill

Arcane
Even then, I don't like that the expedition comes so close to the Headquarters.
Well, that is quite a far-off worry for now.

I am totally for Rin cosplaying as a Minotaur Lord with her Axe, though. She is being a bad girl lately, she needs to be punished. :mad:

Also, we are probably the only one who can defeat her, so our little production is not going to be discovered right away. We'll banish her in a GLORIOUS battle after which nothing will be left of her but the helm or perhaps a mummified goblin head with some Zayan-made make-up, to give to the surviving adventurers as proof of our victory. Might want to let her reduce their numbers, first, to increase our share. :M

Is our hat still on or did we lose it in the river btw?
63595499.jpg

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Making an act with Rin to cull the ranks of the A. Guild sounds like a somewhat good idea, although I'm not sure how good she would be at her role (she's probably going for the kill all the time in order to seem "convincing" and/or she'll accidentally damage our hat/helmet, revealing our nature). However, first we have to make sure the true Minotaur Lord is dead for good, lest he already regenerated some time ago and storms in at the worst possible moment (which will happen for sure if we don't do something about it, knowing our luck). :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
I'm not sure how good she would be at her role
At swinging the axe wildly and indiscriminately? Pretty darn good, I'd say. :lol:

However, first we have to make sure the true Minotaur Lord is dead for good, lest he already regenerated some time ago and storms in at the worst possible moment (which will happen for sure if we don't do something about it, knowing our luck). :lol:
That would be perfect. We'll split him into small chunks and let them all regenerate into our own Minotaur army!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom