Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
DD > CB

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, I fixed mine, and I removed my CA>CB conditional, now it's just CB.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*sigh* We finally get the chance to be the ultimate poonhound/villain and we're letting it slip through our fingers.

Codex's ideal hero:
ken-doll-naked5.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Flopping to DD>CB, time to give the mage a try. Since we usually pick martially-minded good guy heroes, I want to try something different. Weare going to be one scathing, curmudgeonly asshole. As for our name, I think Sandro will suffice (obvious HoMM3 reference).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I didn't know we were voting on a name...
I vote Rando - it's an Archer reference. Or a Yu Yu Hakashu reference.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alright, let me flop to AC (>DC).

I am serious about 2C as a character motivation, but pretty open to their background.

DD sounds very appealing, too. The reluctant archmahe who got suckered into handling Other People's Problems and can't wait to be done with this crap. Gotta give it some thought.
I still really want the Grim Warrior, a dude who clawed his way up from the bottom and won't let anything bring him back down.
You are just trying to LARP Mazzarin and Zhang, you copycat. :rpgcodex:

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh, no. Big M is ostensibly a good guy (I think?) and Lord Zhang was all about martial arts and self-perfection.

Another concept I'm thinking of maybe flipping to is AC, the ultimate seducer.

Nevill

Arcane
Uh, no. Big M is ostensibly a good guy (I think?) and Lord Zhang was all about martial arts and self-perfection.
So is our hero - for now, and isn't self-perfection about striving to be something more than you are now? Don't even try to deny it.

Anyway, with your latest flop it's between DC and DD now. And 2C has a small individual lead.
Baltika9 - DD>CB
Nevill - AC>DC
m4davis - CB
Tigranes - DD>DC
Esquilax - AB
tindrli - CC
oscar - CB
Azira - AB
Jester - DC>DB
Kz3r0 - AB
Elfberserker - BA
asxetos - BA
Lambchop19 - AC>anything xC
Kipeci - DC>Dx>Anything not Cx
ScubaV - DC>AC
Rex Feral DC>AC
archaen - DD
profreshinal - AD>CC>DC>BA
Absinthe - AC>AD
Random Word - DD
Cassidy - DA
Grimgravy - DD>CB
LWC1996 DD>CA
Kayerts AA

1A - 8
1B - 2
1C - 3
1D - 11

2A - 4
2B - 5
2C - 8
2D - 7

AA - 1
AB - 3
AC - 3 (1) -> DC (Lambchop, Nevilll)
AD - 1 (0) -> DC (profreshinal)
BA - 2
CB - 2
CC - 1
DA - 1
DC - 4 (7)
DD - 6

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not sure who this Mazzarin is at the moment, but I'll try not to make DD (or any of the archetypes, for that matter) a copycat character of him.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Damn, this CYOA is less than a day old, and we already have twenty-three voters. It's good to have the crew back. Speaking of which, any other potential converts to DD out there?
:salute:
Don't even try to deny it.
Bro, my feels. You know my stance on copycat characters.
Edit:
He's the super archmage in Fangshi s CYOA, which is currently in hiatus.
Also, the greatest ostensibly good guy in the setting and a massive dick.

Kayerts

Arcane
AA. The Righteous Leader: Noblesse oblige. Nobility has its obligations, and its obligations are to the people that support it. As a member of nobility, you feel bound by honor to do the most amount of good wherever you can, whenever you can.

This is my pick for the dude I most want to ruin, and thus my vote.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, I don't have a good grasp on the Criminal Mind's character. What drives him to do what he does, avarice and envy? Does he simply get off on dodging the law and turning an illegal profit, or does he feel entitled to have the things he steals?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, I don't have a good grasp on the Criminal Mind's character. What drives him to do what he does, avarice and envy? Does he simply get off on dodging the law and turning an illegal profit, or does he feel entitled to have the things he steals?

He likes the high life, but he isn't as obsessively hedonistic about it as the other xC characters, since the Dx background reduces his materialism in the first place. The thrill of getting one over other people, no matter whether authorities or gangs, is definitely a factor for DC.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmm? I thought him turning to illegal activities was partly because of the fact that legal ones couldn't sate his thirst for material things.

Besides, merchant's roots mean he would know a thing or two about returns, and the underground offers the best ones.

Basically, I thought he views himself an unrecognized genius who found a new and exciting application for magic that is not understood well by the rest of the world. Their loss, really. :M

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Ah, so we're kind of a punk with a fat wallet, brilliant mind and an ego bigger than both. We enjoy pushing the limits more than we enjoy money and comfort. Life is one big game to us, and we're going to come out on top. Something like that?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hmm? I've thought him turning to illegal activities was partly because of the fact that legal ones couldn't sate his thirst for material things.

Besides, merchant's roots mean he would know a thing or two about returns, and the underground offers the best ones.

Basically, I thought he views himself an unrecognized genious who found a new and exciting application for magic that is not understood well by the rest of the world. Their loss, really. :M

Yeah, that's basically part of this:

The thrill of getting one over other people, no matter whether authorities or gangs, is definitely a factor for DC.

But if goods were his primary motivation, he wouldn't have entered the academy in the first place. His family has connections that he did not tap, or ask to tap. Think of it like him discovering that wheeling and dealing is in his blood, and there is no escaping it. So he embraces it, but he does it his way.

Baltika9

Arcane
I dunno, I still can't get pumped up for it.
That, and I think it's best to go with a bit more of an academic character rather than a tough guy. I'd prefer to be perpetrating evil with spreadsheets
An Overlord enslaving nations with criminal interest rates and real estate fraud? It lacks the charm of the other characters. Just a matter of taste, I suppose.

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, now a question about the DD type.

What motivates this character to move forward? I think the 'Dex had a bit of a bad experience with reluctant characters who want to be left undisturbed.

How close to the truth is Baltika's take on it?
Baltika9 said:
Unmotivated? Hell yes we're motivated, motivated to be left the fuck alone. Except everyone comes to our with their problems. 'Save us from the Overlord! Overlord, lead us to greatness!'
Don't these assholes ever shut up? Maybe if we enslave the world with necromancy...
Does he do things now so that he would not have to do them in the future?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What motivates this character to move forward?

At this moment in particular? Partly a desire to get things done and over with so he can go back to napping, tinkering with magic, and taking long, hot baths, partly his camaraderie with his comrades, and partly because he is (somehow) the 'Hero', with an official Medal to show for it, so it's kinda like his job.

In general, however, although he doesn't mind taking pre-emptive action if he thinks it will give him more free time in the long run, he prefers to do things only when he is forced to by other people. Perhaps by a strict dragon-lady adviser keeping him working or something, I don't know.

I'll provide all the characters with strong motivations, or at least try to, regardless of the background.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Next update will have an ability or spell to choose. Each background has more than one to pick from, a few examples here:

Light of the Seven Seals
A spell passed down amongst the warrior-nobility of the Seven Kingdoms, it summons seven pillars of light which burns enemies and heals the caster’s companions at the same time. Concentrating the pillars on the caster will grant an increase in all abilities.

Minor increase: Vitality, Mana, Physical Attack, Physical Defense, Magical Attack, Magical Defense, Agility.

Shining Falconia
The signature move of the Order of the White Falcon. The sight of a row of raised shields shining brightly with the light of justice has put fear in the hearts of many evildoers, and the unstoppable charge that follows has trampled many more.

Major increase: Physical Defense, Magical Defense
Minor increase: Physical Attack, Agility

Schwarzenklinge
The Ebon Blade stance of the famous swordmaster, reputed to be able to cut through anything in existence. The wielder appears to grow raven-like wings of darkness, while their sword is enveloped in black magic, drastically increasing speed and power.

Rank increase: Physical Attack
Major increase: Agility

Gigadyne
The most powerful lightning spell that transmutes matter into pure electrical energy. It can be cast as an attack magic, on the caster’s equipment for an elemental effect, or on the caster himself to enter an intangible lightning form unaffected by most physical attacks or spells.

Rank increase: Agility

Absinthe

Arcane
You guys realize that 1A makes the character a hybrid mage/warrior? It's still a mage and that way we can still figure out what what we want to do when we actually come to it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom