Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Bros, why won't you let me larp rance in a LP? You've thwarted my attempts in the past. And you murdered Aaron, bros. Wasn't that enough?

vote AC, or something C. For pity's sake. :negative:

but I guess the apathetic goat doctor sounds pretty cool. so whatever :M

Rex Feral

Prophet
If it's between AC and DC, I'll go DC>AC, tho both are fine with me.

I don't really want the stereotypical anti-villain which ends up more noble than the actual hero of the story, I just want a villain more complex and realistical than what you usually get in stories. Villains in fiction tend to be one sided and get defined in end by one trait that makes them who they are. I want a smart villain capable of thought and philosphy, one that can do both good and evil depending on the circumstances and his interests and maybe his valors or moral code. Someone who considers himself (or ends considering himself) beyond good and evil.

Since good and evil are hardly absolute, depending more on one's point of view I want a villain that we can all relate to and is more believable and humane, instead of a caricature that goes "MUAHAHAHA, I WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO ENSURE I WIN".

Also I'd like to see the transition from hero to villain in a realistic way. Instead of the "Oh no, this happened so now I shall begin being evil" , I want to see a good natured man slowly becoming a ruthless villain in order to achieve his goals (which should be at least in part selfless) or protect the ones he loves.

If you want one or two examples examples of what I think were good villains, which I'd like to play:

Kain and Raziel from Legacy of Kain series.

And some from anime:

Johan Liebert from Monster
Makishima from Psycho Pass
Lelouch from Code Geass

Kipeci

Arcane
My hope for the direction we take as a villain:

mqdefault.jpg

But with lightning bolts and other spells to fry people with. More like this, I guess:

icon1.jpg

Jester

Arbiter
DA

Let me offer Nazi Occultist a suggestion on the general idea of an overlord that isn't a Stereotypical Villain yet will commit horrible things:

Redpilled Awakened Mage: Your studies have taught you a sense of right and wrong and truths beneath the veil of lies enveloping all existence that would drive those weak of mind to insanity or cowering to back to the darkness of their previous ignorance, including a terrible realization that entire races in the world were corrupted, their children doomed since birth because of the demonic influences and the only way to help them is by annihilating them. You will not coop yourself up in the tower when there are people that require your help, or a final solution. Once all the corruption is cleansed from the world, the future will be one without suffering and without evil, and a superior, pure and all-good mankind will rise from the ashes.

g6GBhgL.gif
Much better picture.
images

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Villains in bad fiction tend to be one sided and get defined in end by one trait that makes them who they are.
FTFY.

Someone who considers himself (or ends considering himself) beyond good and evil.
Incidentally, the people you hear that thing from usually tend to be villains and anti-heroes. :M

Still, I think any villain that you get to play is bound to look believable and realistic, since you would be the one making rationalizations for their actions. :lol:

Now, a hero or a villain who takes pleasure in the very act of living, whose goal is simply to have one hell of a life, that hero would be nigh impossible to defeat. You could kill them, perhaps, but in the end they would still have their wish fulfilled.

I want a character who can see merit in this line of thought.
Sound like Tarquin.
Funny you mentioned him. I went through some of his quotes, and...
General Tarquin: If someone conquers an empire and rules it with an iron fist for thirty long years, and then some paladin breaks into his throne room and kills him-- whad do you think he's going to remember as he lays dying?
Elan: ...That good triumphed over evil?
General Tarquin: No, that he got to live like a god for the decades! Sure, the last ten minutes sucked, but you can't have everything.
Elan: But in the end--
General Tarquin: The end of what, Son? The Story? There is no end, there's just the point where storytellers stop talking. Somewhere between "villain of the week" and "good triumphs over evil," there's a sweet spot where guys like me get to rule the roost for years. As long as I go into this accepting the price I may eventually pay, then I win--no matter what actually happens.

[...]

General Tarquin: If I win - I get to be a king. If I lose, I get to be a legend.
I guess I might have been influenced a little. :oops:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Is the tally status right now DC if counted individually, and a tie between DC and DD if counted as a bloc?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
DDC? The Slacker Pervert: You like women, you like money, you like success, but more than anything else, you like to expend effort thinking up ways to get all the lovely things you like without effort. They call you the most hardworking lazy scholar in the academy, but you prefer to think of it as minimizing effort in the long term.

Nevill

Arcane
DDC? The Slacker Pervert: You like women, you like money, you like success, but more than anything else, you like to expend effort thinking up ways to get all the lovely things you like without effort. They call you the most hardworking lazy scholar in the academy, but you prefer to think of it as minimizing effort in the long term.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I'll flop to DC > AC then.
Why is it that every time we are faced with a possibility of TSUN-DRABBIT we let it slip from our fingers? :negative:

The Codex is the master of finding a way that does not satisfy anyone. Why don't we immortalize that in our character?

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
I'm not interested in playing a socially crippled autist Codexer. Isn't DD/DDC fairly close to the character in Spiral?

Absinthe

Arcane
I think D in general is headed towards playing another Adachi/Senya type.

Baltika9

Arcane
Awww yissss. This is perfect. Bros, we can be a lazy ąsshole and grope our advisors at the same time!
DDC>DD

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, is this a thing? :? I think this might be a thing.

DDC>DC

Baltika9 - DDC>DD
Nevill - DDC>DC
m4davis - DDC
Tigranes - DDC
Esquilax - DDC
tindrli - CC
oscar - CB
Azira - AB
Jester - DDC>DC
Kz3r0 - AB
Elfberserker - DDC>BA
asxetos - BA
Lambchop19 - DDC>AC>anything xC
Kipeci - DC>DD>DDC
ScubaV - DC>AC
Rex Feral DC>AC
archaen - DD
profreshinal - AD>CC>DC>BA
Absinthe - AC>AD
Random Word - DDC
Cassidy - DDC
Grimgravy - DD>CB
LWC1996 DD>CA
Kayerts AA
Greyviper AC
TOME DC
aleam iacis DB
wjw DC

AA - 1
AB - 2
AC - 2
AD - 1 (0) -> DC (profreshinal)
BA - 2
CB - 2
CC - 1
DB - 1
DC - 5 (6)
DD - 3
DDC - 10

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not interested in playing a socially crippled autist Codexer. Isn't DD/DDC fairly close to the character in Spiral?

I think D in general is headed towards playing another Adachi/Senya type.
What makes you say that? Senya and Adachi never finished college. And, broadly speaking, we're the bad guy of the story, so how are we going to end up like them?
I'm down to compromise, bros, because it does seem like the best of both worlds.

Nevill

Arcane
What makes you say that? Senya and Adachi never finished college.
The bookish and brainy type who generally keeps to himself for various reasons.

Senya was a criminal mastermind, Adachi was a reluctant asocial, it is easy to see some parallels with the options on offer. But then again, it's a very narrow dichotomy along the lines of YOLO-warrior (Ean, Jing) and LOGIC-mage (Senya, Adachi (?), Dio). If you lump things together like that, you are bound to lose nuances.

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill's got it.

I actually like 1A because it's the compromise option. We still have an educated character who is a capable mage, except he's not socially incompetent and he's still capable as a warrior.

Esquilax

Arcane

I fucking love it! This is the one. This is our guy.

DDC

Nevill

Arcane
AC was my first (well, second) choice, I'd love to be a hedonist who is after simple pleasures.

Still, the background says little in the way of personality. You can be a brooding mad genius type, or you can be a well-mannered and pleasant backstabber for DC. I'd think more of our choices will be needed to finalize the way the character carries himself.

The lackluster attitude of DDC can manifest itself in many ways, too. To be lazy and successful you'd have to have a very special gift, and it very well may be a gift of convincing people to do your job for you - something Adachi could only dream of.

Paging Jester, Lambchop19 and Rex Feral to gauge interest in a new character.

Esquilax

Arcane
All of them are great, really. There are very few choices here that would actually bother me.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
The slacker perverted scholar sounds awesome.
I change my vote to DDC>BA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom