Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Society determines that helping people is good, and that helping people to the extent that you sacrifice yourself is the noblest good of all, as impressed by multiple stories and myths over and over again.
Ah, but he has little to no memory of functioning in the society, does he? And he is the asocial type anyway.

Yet there is still something in him that determined that this societal norm feels 'right' and that one is bullshit. For example, Seiji (or 'Seiji') grew up in the same society and seem to have come to different conclusions.

I'm just saying, maybe it's time that he started caring about people and not the vague societal principles governing human behavior. :MI think it even occured to him, briefly:
“B-believe what you want,” you reply wearily. “I don’t really care anymore.” Despite what you say, his words make you think: would I feel the same sorrow for the deaths of any of the others? For example, do I feel as sad for Amanozaki’s passing as I do for Uehara? You shake your head faintly. Trying to untangle this particular mess of a knot is too much for you right now… you feel too drained to think about this.

I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed with our meeting with Maeda and the lack of our reaction to it. I, for one, was relieved to see that her 'ending' wasn't final. I can only hope we find Mitsuki in a similar fashion and confirm that she is still with us one way or the other.

He's just shy. :M
Well, last time he was not clear with expressing himself, it led her to a suicide. Might have to work on his self-confidence if he wants to avoid something like that in the future.

In words of a poet:
At the moment, Adachi does not feel anything in particular for Maeda beyond the camaraderie of experiencing Ikei.
tumblr_mwt1pfKXL81rqf5p6o3_400.gif

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm just saying, maybe its time that he started caring about people and not the vague societal principles governing human behavior.

It's easier to fake it and live by societal principles if you are unable to interact well with other people on a personal basis. If you have no memory of social interaction, you go with how the culture teaches you to behave. This is the same for all of the personality options, you just happened to pick the one that was stunningly bad at faking it.

Nevill

Arcane
In other words, you are mirroring what Mori said to us:
“To be honest, I’m not sure I believe you. You do not seem like the sort to get so emotionally attached to someone you have only met for a few hours.”
We felt bad for Uehara because we were societally conditioned to feel that way:
A standard answer, from a standard human being with feelings just like everyone else. A display of sadness. Grieving for a person’s death is the normal thing to do, isn’t it?
And there is no deeper connection to be found here, or with the other characters. Not yet, anyway.

I feel differently (I got attached to some of them pretty quickly - hell, half the 'Dex adored Mitsuki the moment they saw her), and I guess I want our character to feel differently as well. We'll see how feasible it is.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I have long suspected that Adachi is not entirely human and his ultimate goal is to become one (or indistinguishable from one), defining himself as he goes, so the disguise is pretty thin. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Unfortunately instead of a Blue Fairy to look out for you, you have a Loli in Black. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, but can we have a full set and get a Loli in Red to complement her? :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
One Loli is all you get. She's also pulling double duty and acting as your conscience, so please appreciate her efforts more. :M

Kz3r0

Arcane
She's also pulling double duty and acting as your conscience
Seems to me that is the other way around, we are the talking cricket of a wooden boy paper loli that doubles as a blue fairy black pixie.

Nevill

Arcane
One Loli is all you get. She's also pulling double duty and acting as your conscience, so please appreciate her efforts more. :M
In a reverse-psychology way? Yeah, we noticed. The funny thing, her advice is actually helpful if you interpret it correctly.

Any choice she approves of is disastrous fun, so I am extremely worried about Maeda right now. The rain that was not supposed to come does little to ease those feelings, too.

Wait, what's up with the 'one loli' rule? Ah, well, we can wait a few years for Mitsuki to grow up. We are not in a hurry. :M

Nevill

Arcane
“That’s right.” A girl appears out of thin air, her bare feet causing a gentle ripple to spread outwards as they come to a rest on the red surface. Her long, waist-length hair is as black as the simple dress that she wears. There is a mischievious grin on her doll-like face, and you note, with some discomfort, that her looks seem rather familiar. You do recognize the voice, however. Ei.
Just to get this out of the way.

What does Ei look like? Why she seemed familiar to us and why it caused us discomfort? It was never explained.

Nevill

Arcane
And yet Maeda did not recognize her. :|

Edit: oh, that's right. Mitsuki wasn't with us on the 4th night and no one but us and Uehara has memories of the previous ones. It is uncertain what Maeda knows.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. In the riddles during the first nights we have encountered a common motive - a sacrifice, a witch, and 1600 villagers. Makes you wonder, why exactly this number? Do they do some kind of population control? :|

Yukina's alteration between honorifics is suspicious in itself, but this is what creeps me out:
"The elder did not ask too many questions at the time and gladly answered your questions, but I am sure that by now, he would have informed the other families in the village of your presence and your motive.” Yukina looks aside apologetically, and adds, “At least, what he believes to be your motive. I am not sure what that is, so far, but perhaps you can help me… help us… understand why you are here. I am certain that we would be able to help you better then.”
I am a bit uneasy with her switch to group-speak. At first she said the villagers are distrustful of strangers, now she is talking about them helping us. Does she even mean them when she says 'us'? :roll:

Can't shake off the feeling that we are in danger, but don't quite understand where it will come from. By the way, Shulgi called, he said the stew had sedatives in it. Except the only secret room in the hut is the cellar where they RIP THE EYES OF THEIR DIVINERS OUT MWAHAHAHAHA!!! ah, sorry, still waiting for that second shoe...

In any case, if there is a tie by the time votes close consider me flopping to the vanilla 2B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Night of Rain

“Alright. The truth, then.” You take in a deep breath. Yukina leans forward slightly, interested in what you are going to say. “The truth is that I am from the future.”

“From the future…” Yukina mumbles. “Oh, I understand! It is like that book Father brought back for me on one of his trips. Please wait for a moment.” Getting up, she hurries into the back of the house. You hear sounds of rustling pages, and soon after Yukina returns, a dog-eared book in her hand. She hands it to you, beaming.

“The Time Machine… H.G. Wells,” you note. The book is in English, although it is covered in hand-written Japanese annotations, most of them translations of particularly difficult words.

“I do some studying on my own, to while away the time,” explains Yukina, coughing. “Shinoseki-sama came here in a time machine, just like the one in the book, then? How exciting!” She seems rather excited to be meeting an actual time traveler, but you are more surprised at her swift acceptance of your claim as truth. Yukina pauses, frowning. “But… why did you not have any clothes on? Where is your machine?”

“I… uh… it is a different sort of time machine, Maeda-san. This is the sort where…” Racking your head, you finally come across a reference that seems to be suitable for your predicament – a movie that you remember vaguely. “…yes, only living matter may pass through, because living organisms generate a field that interacts with the machine. That is why I appeared naked.”

“I see, I see,” Yukina nods, her eyes shining.

Encouraged, you continue with your story. “A... about a hundred years from now, a disaster will happen. A supernatural disaster, which may have originated from the Sakaguchi mansion incident. That is why I am here. To find out the truth, so that I may stop the disaster from happening.” A few more lines float up in your mind, and you deliver them with utmost seriousness. “The future is not set in stone. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.”

“There is no fate… but what we make…” Yukina repeats the saying a few more times, seemingly enamoured with it. “What a poetic line, Shinoseki-sama. You are truly a well-read gentleman, even though you may not be from my time. Oh, we must seem so backward to you!”

“N-not at all,” you shake your head. Should you say something to make her feel better? Without Ei around to give her commentary on your interactions with the fairer sex, you suddenly find yourself at a bit of a loss. “I’m… I suppose I am actually more impressed that you are studying such a difficult book in a foreign language, all by yourself. It could not have been easy, not in a small village like this.”

To your surprise, Yukina blushes slightly. “It is not all that impressive, Shinoseki-sama. You recognized the book and its author at first glance… you are a lot better at it than I am.”

“A-Ah, well…” That is as far as your bravado takes you; words fail to form, and your tongue ties itself up swiftly, rendering you unable to speak further. The two of you sit there, with only the sound of the falling rain filling the gap.

“Shinoseki-sama… I must admit, I did not expect you to be from the future,” says Yukina suddenly, breaking the silence.

“Who did… who did you expect me to be, then?”

Yukina looks away guiltily. “It did not register with me at first, but as I spent more and more time with you throughout the day, I had thought… no… hoped that you were my childhood friend, whom I had not met for ten years.”

“Did he move to the city?” you venture a guess.

“No,” she shakes her head sadly. From the look on her face, you know – even without explanation – that something bad happened to him. Probably dead, since that is how these things usually go. This is starting to sound strangely familiar to you. “Anyway, that is an old story now, one you would not be interested in,” continues Yukina, “if you are planning to save the future, I am more than willing to lend you my aid, Shinoseki-sama. Even if the other villagers do not understand your noble purpose, rest assured that I, Maeda Yukina, do.”

Before you can say anything further, you hear a faint voice from outside the house, muffled by the rain.

“Yukina-chan. I’m back. Could you please open the door?”

You look at Yukina, who is sipping her tea with a faint blush still on her pale cheeks. She does not appear to have heard anything.

“Yukina-chan. I’m back. Could you please open the door?” the voice asks again. From the sound of it, the voice belongs to an older woman.

“Ah, Maeda-san… did you hear that?” you ask.

“Hear what?” Yukina looks at you in wide-eyed puzzlement, and smiles sweetly. “I did not hear a thing, Shinoseki-sama.”

At that moment, Ei walks in, her hands behind her back. Even though it is pouring outside, she is entirely dry. Was she playing tricks on you by imitating a voice just now? Before you can ask her anything, she says, “Hey, Acchan. I’m sorry to interrupt the whole lovey dovey chat, but something happened at the mansion. The head of the family seems to have snapped, and now the other Maeda is trapped there.”

You stand up at once.

“What’s wrong, Shinoseki-sama?”

“I’m sorry, Maeda-san, but I need to go to the mansion immediately.”

“In this weather?” Thunder booms overhead, as if to prove her point. The howling of the wind has grown even stronger, branches lashing and scraping against the boarded windows furiously.

“Mae… Nami-san is in trouble. I need to help her,” you explain.

“Even so,” Yukina’s neat brows furrow in anxiety, and she says, “You really should not leave the house right now.”

“I’ll be fine, I can take a little bad weather,” you grin confidently, or at least try to.

“Still…” She seems reluctant.

“Yukina-chan. Could you open the door? Please?” asks the voice again, with infinite patience and politeness. You glance at Ei, who shakes her head nonchalantly. It's not her.

You turn to Yukina. “Are you sure you didn’t hear anything, Maeda-san?”

“Not at all, Shinoseki-sama. I only hear your voice, and the noise of the storm.”

“Then why should I not leave the house?”

“I…” Yukina’s eyes dart towards the closed windows, and then at the door. There is the faintest flicker of uncertainty in her gaze. “The storm would not be good for your health.” She coughs and shivers, stoking the bright embers of the hearth to keep herself warm. “If you are worried about Nami-san, she should be fine in the mansion. It is a sturdy place. We can go meet her in the morning, when the rain has passed. Please, stay with me here, just for tonight.”

You look towards Ei. What should you do?

“Oh, she’s just a sickly girl afraid of getting even sicker. It’s just rain and wind and lightning outside, Acchan. On the other hand, the other girl seems robust enough to take care of herself,” shrugs Ei. “Besides, it’s not real. All of this… it’s all fake. Isn’t it?”

A. You go.

B. You stay.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Her father never went on a trip. He's dead. His ghost is at the door.

Nevill

Arcane
So, when is the other shoe going to drop? When will we learn that the village seeks the blessing of the Guardian Spirit through live sacrifice, and that Maeda family is chosen this year to present their offering? When will we find out that this was the whole reason they took Nami in, and in trying to save one Maeda we will inevitably doom the other? Where is the usual grimdark?!
paranoid.gif
Not exactly the way I imagined it would go down, but here we are. Let's be honest here, no matter if we stay or go, something horrible is going to happen. We just choose who is going to be on the receiving end.

And no, I can't agree with Ei - it's real, at least as real as the rest of this hospital trip seems to be. We never dismissed whatever was happening on the nights thinking that even if we mess up, things are going to be 'right' again on the next one.

I'll go. In the end, there is a chance that this might be - in some way - the same Nami that we know. The woman we - not Shinohara Seiji, not anyone else, but we - gave our life for to try and save her. I chose to do it for a certain person, not for a certain rule to uphold, and I hate leaving the job unfinished.

I don't know what we are giving up by going, but neither do I terribly care. We'll probably find Yukina dead and the villagers baying for the blood of two murderous strangers on the next morning. Well... better than an alternative. :?

A

Her father never went on a trip. He's dead. His ghost is at the door.
Her mother is a far better candidate considering that we know for a fact she was torn to pieces in a gruesome occult ritual.

The question is why doesn't Ei react to the voice or know what's outside?
Well, it was supposed to be a test for us, wasn't it? She is first saying that all will be fine - when everything, including the weather, tells us it isn't so - and then she tries to downplay it by saying that everything is fake. It's her favorite method of saying 'no pressure, you are screwed either way'.

If she told us, would it change anything?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It is interesting, though, how Yukina's story resemble Nami's. Not only the circumstances are alike, but the timelines align as well.

It is almost as if they both are fragments of the woman we know. A disconcerting thought indeed, for if that is true, what exactly are we choosing between? :?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I chose to do it for a certain person, not for a certain rule to uphold, and I hate leaving the job unfinished.

I suppose I'll pander a bit and prepare some Emotional Engagement™ choices in the upcoming updates. :M

Nevill

Arcane
By killing our waifus in horrible ways, no doubt (mumble-mumble... the Summit... nevah forgive).

Good thing Nami is not one, then. :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll be giving you guys a chance to actually get a waifu, is what I mean. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom