Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whatever, B and C are winning by a landslide so it should be fine. Not like anything bad happened the last time I said that though right?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It isn't a very complex associative chain, although nothing is stated directly.

Souls were mentioned before, it's how people are manifested in the Dreamlands.
That indomitable look in your eyes… yes, you are indeed a proper human soul. If so, it would be a waste to break you here and now. I must savour the first offering to enter my domain after an eternity of solitude and hunger.

At his words, you become concerned if the nomadic ritual was not some trap to feed you to this beast. As if reading your mind, the shadow shakes with mirth.

Make no mistake, you came here on your own, pulled along by the bond you have to a fragment of mine. The rituals of the weaklings who yet unknowingly search for Kadath may have opened the way to the Dreamlands, but no other mortal has made it to my halls for millennia.
Uridimmu also mentioned his hunger and the desire to "savour" his first offering. Since we aren't physically present, the logical conclusion would be that the unholy abomination cute puppy snacks on souls... and he just tried to stake the claim on ours. In fact, he released us in full knowledge that we would come back.
At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.
It isn't a big leap to guess that if he gives us something specifically designed to let us avoid that, it serves his purpose in some other way. Given that Astras connect to one's soul (as we've just observed with Rain's), soul taint shenanigans are to be expected.

The doggie likes to play with his food, and I don't see any other snacks around.

Selling one's own soul is probably one of the more charitable reads on the possible consequences. It'd be a harder sell if we had to feed the demon other people's souls on a schedule. Even now there is worry about what implications taking the offer would have for Rain, since she is in possession of an Astra rivaling in might that of a demon's, and we still don't know why she was targeted and by whom.

It is a worry I share since we don't have a lot to regret, holding no other major attachments.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yes the puppy is the only powerful entity around, not that there are others giving powerful items away, like Tlalli’s astra, nossir.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arguments, arguments.

I go with my instincts, guys, and my instincts say that the doggy can be trusted.

:shittydog:
I said the same shit about John Bull and y'all were ready to crucify me. I ended up being right in the end, so maybe y'all should go with my instincts instead?
thinking.png
Uh, John Bull wanted to murder us and eat our brains with a side of fava beans...

Doggy is just lonely and wants us to bring him some snacks. :shittydog:
Brother it's a demon disguised as a dog. Of anything you oughta spurn it for the emotional blackmail perfidy.

Nevill

Arcane
Yes the puppy is the only powerful entity around, not that there are others giving powerful items away, like Tlalli’s astra, nossir.
There is even Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Spear of Longinus. What does that have to do with anything?

It makes sense to speculate assuming the Hound speaks the truth as he understands it. He certainly made no effort to convince us of anything, or prove anything to us, only making a mention that our fate is of interest to him, and dropping a spear in our lap if we'd bother to pick it up. Going by his words, we would have to resort to his aid in the future. His, not some other entity's.

If you don't think he speaks true (even demonic half-truth, without outright lying but omitting important details), then there really isn't anything to talk about.

I think he could have crushed us if he wanted, and the very fact he didn't makes it more plausible he believes what he says and we aren't getting away from him easily.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It isn't a big leap to guess that if he gives us something specifically designed to let us avoid that, it serves his purpose in some other way. Given that Astras connect to one's soul (as we've just observed with Rain's), soul taint shenanigans are to be expected.

The doggie likes to play with his food, and I don't see any other snacks around.

Selling one's own soul is probably one of the more charitable reads on the possible consequences. It'd be a harder sell if we had to feed the demon other people's souls on a schedule. Even now there is worry about what implications taking the offer would have for Rain, since she is in possession of an Astra rivaling in might that of a demon's, and we still don't know why she was targeted and by whom.

It is a worry I share since we don't have a lot to regret, holding no other major attachments.
Eh, I think selling your soul isn't exactly what might go on.

Selling *a* soul however would be.

That's likely what he means by "savoring" his meal. The spear would likely require a piece of our soul every time we used it or something.

But Tlalli said, it doesn't matter how you pay the price, so long as it's payed.

Tlalli had to pay her price with her own heart or soul or whatever, but perhaps we could use the souls of our enemies.

“After so many centuries, we’ve finally understood that the gods care not what you sacrifice, only that you pay the price.”
Again, how you pay it doesn't matter. The important thing is that the doggie has his treats. :shittydog:

I think that our character, with his powerful constitution/willpower combo would really shine with a power like this, with the caveat that it's to be used sparingly. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised that even a single use without the appropriate Astra proficiency will weaken us - wouldn't be surprised if it would result in a stat hit too. But if we get cornered by Mr. Bull down the road again, might be the ace up our sleeve that we need to make it out without ending up on a spit roast.
It's funny, I just noticed Esquilax commenting that he'd support our having a power like this. But where is he now?

*Though I do realize that I could be misinterpreting the passage I quoted. Perhaps it means that they want you to suffer for the power.

Only one way to find out. :shittydog:

Nevill

Arcane
We have a piece of him embedded into our leg, maybe we should take care of that sooner or later.
I dunno. What if it not only makes us lame, but (similarly to Jing's weird meridians) also grants sorcerous powers without making us subservient to the Hound? It isn't a coincidence that there is a number of mages running around the place with Uridimmu's pieces lodged up their asses. It's also another evidence of the creature's power; we have not heard of any other deities performing similar feats. Tlalli's gift from her god is an Astra, and it functions differently from a fragment of a primordial demon.

The problem is not the bond, it only gives us a direct connection to the Hound's Service Hotline. The problem is that the Hound believes that only his power is sufficient to resolve the crisis we'll be facing. Of course, he's been imprisoned for millennia, and his knowledge might be out of date, but I think it won't be trivial finding someone who'd be both capable and willing to help given we don't even know what we'd need help against.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
The problem is not the bond, it only gives us a direct connection to the Hound's Service Hotline. The problem is that the Hound believes that only his power is sufficient to resolve the crisis we'll be facing. Of course, he's been imprisoned for millennia, and his knowledge might be out of date, but I think it won't be trivial finding someone who'd be both capable and willing to help given we don't even know what we'd need help against.
This summarizes the entire choice. If you think Uridimmu can be trusted on this and you want his help, vote 1A. Else, vote 1B.

I just want an update.
:(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Okay, but seriously, treave, I need to now what that rolleyeyes rating was for. I have absolutely no idea what thinking about Sophie, or Liz, or ourselves would have done for us considering we carry Rain's Astra with us, and it seems to have reacted to the presence of the girl in the dream. Did you give us a choice with 5 options, of which 4 would have lead to a dead end? If not, how would thinking about other characters be different?

Something would've happened, but E would have left you the worst off. :M

By the way, if you guys don't trust the demon, why are you choosing to trust it when its 'helping hand' shows two more paths while you are supposed to be heading back? :M :M

Also, am busy this week, next update will be after Thursday. :M :M :M

Nevill

Arcane
Goddammit, I'll have to wait for the Q&A session due in a year and a half for that, won't I? :negative:

...sooner if we kill off the character quickly.
thinking.png

By the way, if you guys don't trust the demon, why are you choosing to trust it when its 'helping hand' shows two more paths while you are supposed to be heading back?
Because we don't know we are "supposed to" head back. We don't even know what the purpose of the original trial was, what with it being hijacked by DEMONZ. If if weren't for the Hound, and if we had a choice at all, we'd probably be checking on the rest of the team to make sure all of them pass.

It's almost like there is a difference between trusting the demon to not be interested in our immediate demise, and trusting it to have our best interests at heart. :M

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Goddammit, I'll have to wait for the Q&A session due in a year and a half for that, won't I? :negative:

...sooner if we kill off the character quickly.
thinking.png

By the way, if you guys don't trust the demon, why are you choosing to trust it when its 'helping hand' shows two more paths while you are supposed to be heading back?
Because we don't know we are "supposed to" head back. We don't even know what the purpose of the original trial was, what with it being hijacked by DEMONZ. If we had a choice at all we'd probably be checking on the rest of the team to make sure all of them pass.

It's almost like there is a difference between trusting the demon to not be interested in our immediate demise, and trusting it to have our best interests at heart. :M
It's almost like he told us why our trial brought us to his pyramid.
Oh, right:

That indomitable look in your eyes… yes, you are indeed a proper human soul. If so, it would be a waste to break you here and now. I must savour the first offering to enter my domain after an eternity of solitude and hunger.

At his words, you become concerned if the nomadic ritual was not some trap to feed you to this beast. As if reading your mind, the shadow shakes with mirth.

Make no mistake, you came here on your own, pulled along by the bond you have to a fragment of mine. The rituals of the weaklings who yet unknowingly search for Kadath may have opened the way to the Dreamlands, but no other mortal has made it to my halls for millennia.

Nevill

Arcane
It's almost like he told us why our trial brought us to his pyramid.
I know why we were brought to his pyramid.

I am saying that the trial of the nomads is not designed for the "tainted" and does not usually send people straight to the Hound's gullet, so I was wondering what would our trial have looked like if it weren't for the divine/demonic intervention. We have a chance to look at Sophie's, which is the chance I am taking, regardless of whether I trust the demon or not.

The demon is even no longer there by the time we need to choose, and I have already accepted that if it wanted to eat us it could have done so.

Baltika9

Arcane
Except the portals were provided by Uridimmu himself:
And here is one more helping hand for being an entertaining guest. You were not the only one that walked the paths of the subconscious, were you?

The voice of the Hound fades away, leaving you all alone.

In front of you, you can perceive three paths.
So, yeah, we're accepting his help by using them and treave is calling us out for trusting one of his gifts and not the other:
I think that's a fair accusation.

Nevill

Arcane
So, yeah, we're accepting his help by using them and treave is calling us out for trusting one of his gifts and not the other:

I think that's a fair accusation.
You should know how conmen operate. They let you lull yourself into a false sense of security, then they reel you in. :M
They even let you win a couple times if it helps convince you to bet your fortune on a throw of a loaded die.

So it is not at all unreasonable to be suspicious even while accepting favors, not to mention we should separate "belief" and "trust". I believe him; I still don't trust him.

One of his gifts is, supposedly, a temporary boon that lets you cross into the dreams of others... it's not like it can send you somewhere more dangerous than his lair.
The other is an Astra, an artifact that binds itself to one's soul, and will have consequences far beyond the dream.

Baltika9

Arcane
Because I don't actually want 1A to pull a surprise victory before Thursday, I'm flopping to C>B C, where C is my proposal to ask Uridimmu to pet him. I don't want his spear.

I trust both of his offers to work exactly as advertised, but I'm concerned about that price that he doesn't want to name.

it's not like it can send you somewhere more dangerous than his lair.
Famous last words.

Nevill

Arcane
That is a vote I can get behind, brother. CC it is.

If you can't get a pet sphere, pet a sphere instead.

And should he allow it, in a deep and fake-unexcited tone only betrayed by the slight wiggle of his tail, I believe we should pledge our soul to him unconditionally. Lambchop, you with us?

...it is a long way to Thursday...

Baltika9

Arcane
Because I don't actually want 1A to pull a surprise victory before Thursday, I'm flopping to C>B C, where C is my proposal to ask Uridimmu to pet him. I don't want his spear.
Coward.
Look dude, both of us weren't voting 1A for the spear, we did it for the dog. Why not cut the crap and vote for what we really want?

First impressions count for a lot, and our willpower impressed him. If we don't act like a gold artifact digger in our first meeting, this could be our best chance to earn his friendship. Do you have any idea how lonely he is after being here for thousands of years? Pet the nice dog, Lambchop.

Or are you not man enough?
“What’s the matter, is poor little Sophie Lambchop too yellow?” Elizabeth is quick to mock her, flapping her hands like a bird. “Are you a chicken? Bawk?”

Don't be stupid.

The demon or whatever he is isn't going to be impressed if we're a fool. He likes our determination and the fact that we didn't fold like a cheap suit at his first attack. He sees potential in us.

Being an asshat and convincing him that we're actually too stupid to be an ally will not make him our friend.

The contract is on the table. Either take it or leave it, pussy.

Tigranes

Arcane
All this talk about whether we trust the demon to tell the truth is missing the point.

1/ It is a staple of deceptive, demonic beings that even in cases where they are oath-bound to tell the truth (a guarantee we do not have here), they are more than skilled at presenting half-truths in ways that fool the unwary. The demon is already vague as fuck about the entire deal, asking us to accept it with the scantest of details.

2/ Presuming what the demon says is true, the simple fact remains that, as I said before, we have NO reason to make a highly dangerous and surely costly deal with a demon without any pressing need.

Nevill

Arcane
While I care about Rain, a woman just needs to accept that there's a special bond between a man and his dog. :shittydog:
Poser. :M

For all the talk of how lonely the doggy is, you won't even keep him company. Caring is more than just feeding, you know? :shittydog:
The demon is already vague as fuck about the entire deal, asking us to accept it with the scantest of details.

2/ Presuming what the demon says is true, the simple fact remains that, as I said before, we have NO reason to make a highly dangerous and surely costly deal with a demon without any pressing need.
The demon does not ask us anything. He lets us know the option is there.

And the reason to take it could be as simple as that it is there, and it might not be there by the time we need it. Or at all.

It's power, and we are lacking in that department, coming close to dying several times in the course of the latest adventure, and having to be bailed by Tlalli time and again. The same Tlalli who continues to pay the price for her own power. It's like an unwritten law or something.

The funny thing is that there may be no inherent fine print to the deal, and the mere possession of the spear could itself be consequence enough to lead us on a path we would later regret. Say, if other demon-touched take notice, or if whatever force that sealed Uridimmu is still active in the world...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom