Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Kalarion Cipher Patron

Kalarion
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    B. Register with the Grisham School for Talented Youngsters. It's time to git gud at hunting. Let's prepare to sail off with Gramma Tlalli to figure out what's at the top of the Tower, and who Uridimmu is.

C. You will bring Rain together with you, as always. You'll resolve any problem as it pops up. If there's any place that can accommodate having an... 8? 9? year old? How old is Rain at this point treave ? who may possibly be a giant macguffin along for the ride, it's the School for Mutants Talented Youngsters.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Remember why we came here?

I guess not.

FYI, kids, people don't usually stay in a hospital permanently. "Permanently" usually means "until they die".

1C - YOU SELFISH, GOLDFISH-ATTENTION-SPANNED PRICKS!

2C, predicting Rain will be of use when helping Liz and also may help others in the hospital.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    BC>BB>CC

Coming to town was a mistake. Let's get back on track with the hunters. Spending time with Liz would be a consolation prize.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    CC
    I dont see a reason to jump to the school for talented youngsters immediately.
    We got our license and we can enrol a bit later. Lets remember why we came to New Vienna in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is the choice where to get our education before we apply to the academy. Under the tutelage of revolutioners, from the school teachers, from the medical staff.

There will be no "later".

(I don't think we came here to become a medic, though I did want to help Liz, and I find work at a hospital to be more interesting than a formal school education.

Let's be real, an orderly fresh from apprenticeship probably isn't going to cure a nigh incurable illness when his teachers can't do it either. We'll need something else.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    I agree. You can never assume you will receive the same choice again. Even if a character or organization reappears, the power and choice dynamics will be different.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. But Rain might.

Look at what the update says: our studies have kept us from seeing her for WEEKS. More studies won’t change that.

And you’re right, there won’t be a later - FOR HER.

You can take a damn night class at any time, you can’t raise the dead.

You guys didn’t make the hard choice and accept the dog’s help. We came here supposedly to help Liz and now you want to ignore her.

This is just idiotic. Once again, you guys aren’t reading the text of the update and playing by wishful thinking and impulsivity. This week we were a communist, next week we’re an adventurer, a few weeks ago we were dropping everything to come and save Liz. This is indefensible.

The update makes it clear that we are leaving Liz to die in any choice other than C. And I believe that CC is the only chance of saving her besides taking the deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Accepting the dog's help was the easy choice. Petting it was the hard one. Why didn't you give the poor puppy some love, Lambchop? :(
    Something rocks, something-something glass houses.

Yes, Liz is sick. Yes, it does not look good. But apprenticing as an orderly is not going to solve the problem in the next couple years, and counting on hitherto undiscovered magical elven powers is the height of wishful thinking.

Rather than view this as "abandoning" Liz, I choose to believe she isn't going to die soon, that her condition has now stabilized (as in, it is consistently bad, leaving her bedridden for life unless the cure is found), and we might be able to do something about it later, once we are in the Academy and have access to deities, wonders, Astras and other supernatural phenomena. It'd be nice if we could wave a hand and fix it, but I suspect it won't be as simple as that.

Taking the hospital route will let us stay close to her (which is something I approve of, Liz Best Girl and all that), and will set us up with certain skills, allowing us to help more directly and purposefully than we otherwise could, knowing what the symptoms are and what the cure is supposed to do. This is what I expect the consequences to be.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kalarion Cipher Patron

Kalarion
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ...you're right. We'll just have to put off hunting until we've found the first game.

Flopping to C C.

Edit: got the order of choices on the first choice reversed. I want to go to the hospital!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. No, we tried it your way. We tried ignoring her and becoming a communist. surprise, surprise, it did nothing to help anyone, least of all Liz.

*I* wanted to go and pal up with experimental researchers who might have been able to cure her, you guys didn't.

Now spending time in the hospital and elven magic (which definitely exists and has already been discovered, hence our one semi-useful astra) are all we have.

That's absolutely fucking retarded, man.

You don't go to a hospital PERMANENTLY when your condition is stabilizing.

:deathclaw:

Again, I do things by the text of the update: we have not even been visiting her for weeks and her condition now has worsened to the point of requiring hospitalization.

At least 1C is about TRYING to do something for her. Something we clearly haven't been doing for a long time. Oh, but we learned to draw and know some communists now. Great. :roll:

And aren't those good things? You do realize that's exactly what I'm arguing for, right? You do realize that 2C is, as I said, only something I *predict* will help, right? 1C is the most important choice.

TBH, I liked tsundere Sophie a bit better anyway, so you guys getting Liz killed would serve you right.

The main reason I'm complaining so much about this is because of the inconsistency and the damage to our character. No longer are we the selfless boy leaping to the defense of others, especially his friends, now we're an indecisive, selfish moron.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, it is.

I guess comas, or conditions severe enough that they require permanent hospitalization without the patient dying don't exist.

All I see is you running around screaming "LIZ WILL DIE IF WE DON'T DO THIS", and I can't help but raise an eyebrow. Because from where I am standing, we won't be able to help her for some years, and it will require something more than the hospital can provide.
    Yes, but you are also doing it in an obnoxious way dismissing other choices out of hand. I do not agree with that.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Hard to say with someone who might not actually be human, but she's around the size of a two year old at this point.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. So you think she's in a coma now? Well, I guess we don't know since we've been too busy learning how to draw to even visit her.

Again, I said her condition WORSENED. A coma would be WORSENING, would it not?

Just think: what is it that would move her from being treated at home and into a hospital? Can you name one possibility were it would mean she was getting better?
    Says the guy who says "LIZ IS BEST GIRL" in one post and then "it's just a coma, bro" in the next. Talk about eyebrow raising. :roll:

This choice reflects our objectives as a character, just as the update before last did. We chose to go to college or whatever and now we're ignoring the girl we supposedly came here to help for weeks.

Continuing that course is simply making the choice to abandon her to her fate, which at this point looks like either continued worsening illness or death.

"Oh, boohoo! Lamb is being obnoxious! I'm so shocked right now that I can't make rational decisions about the game we're playing!"

That's your choice to think that, bro. But it doesn't change the update or what our choices mean. The speed or rudeness with which I dismiss bad choices doesn't make them any less bad or the good choice any less good.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ^Since we've already forgotten the text of the update and are now on to speculating about comas and mystery illnesses that somehow make going from home care to permanent hospitalization a good thing.

Does this sound positive? Please explain how.

:hmmm:

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No, I don't think she is in a coma. Neither have I stated that she is getting better. I think you are being obtuse, handwringing, and misinterpreting other arguments on purpose.

My point is that Liz is getting worse, but slowly, the latter being the key word. Not so much worse that she will die in the next three years, which is the time stretch the choice here deals with. It is likely that finding a cure for her will be a quest, and should we fail it, she'll die. However, I do not believe this quest will require us to have medical knowledge. That's what the doctors have in abundance, and it is not helping much. I think the cure might have to be supernatural in origin, and therefore our path to it may lie through the Hunters' Academy.

This is stupid. Her father proposed we find work. Any of the four choices would take us away from home. You know, so we could work.

The abandonment as a result of some kind of direction we've taken exists only in your head. You'd have some leg to stand on if you argued for becoming a housemaid, but I don't think this is a choice Elizabeth herself would respect.

I find less and less worth in your reasoning with each new post. I'll cut this short then.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. No, I'm not doing any such thing. If you didn't mean to suggest she was in a coma, you shouldn't have brought it up.

Oh, thank you, Doctor Nevill. "ITS ONLY 3 YEARS GUYS! NO WAY SHE COULD DIE IN 3 YEARS!" :roll:

It is. One we are very far from just palling around with marxists or going off to some special school.

And where do you get that failing it will kill us? Is this LP only about her?

Again, you're just making things up.
    That choice for one update could be excused, but you're confirming it here.

As I said, I wanted to do the experimental research for the potential contacts in helping her. I don't recall if I argued for it strongly though, since I never assumed we'd be dumb enough to become a communist.
    Fine, be butthurt. Be even more butthurt when I say "I told you so." later too.

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Since there's such a fuss about reading our updates, let's do our due diligence.
    I do, actually. We came here to expand our horizons and support our friend. Once we got here, our friend and her family explicitly instructed us to go out and develop. Which we did, picking up an education in Rhetoric, Etiquette and, yes, Artistic Aesthetics.

Not a single choice we made since refusing Uridimmu's offer promised to get us closer to helping Elizabeth recover. All of them were made with the goal of picking up skills and making new connections. I genuinely don't see where you're coming from.

Here are the choices we made and their context:
    Nevill addressed the rest, so I won't clutter up the thread with extraneous commentary.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    CC>BC>AC

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Lambchop is right, we came to New Vienna to be with Elizabeth and try to help her. If we were going to go off and follow the Tlalli questline, why the fuck didn't we stay in Scotsfield and continue training like I and the others said! I'll keep my salt in check though and just leave it at CC>BC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. I'm talking about the arguments posters made at the time to justify it and the actions we took in the update following it.
    We spent our time nursing Liz rather than doing anything on our own. Our intent was clear as a character and it matches how we take care of Rain as a character.

Shrugging our shoulders and saying "she'll probably be fine" for 3 years while we try to start a commie revolution or go to cram school or whatever isn't the character we've tried to play before this disastrous last few updates.

No shit.

As I said, it would have been better either to remain with her or else do the research thing.

Yes, we know how to draw and we've met several communists. Great job. :roll:

Which reminds me, I'll go ahead and make it CC>BC to avoid the commie trash.

edit:
    EXACTLY!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oooh, discussion! I'll promptly ignore that and vote what I feel like; BC>CC :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Because the plan was to let the doctors cure Liz and join the Hunters together, instead of accepting Uridimmu's help and staying in Scottsfield. Now Sophie passes us a message from Tlalli with a letter of recommendation to get into a top academy for talented youngsters. This sounds like a great educational opportunity that also will provide us with preferential treatment to enter the Association. On the other hand, we already did Anime High School in EPIC.

1C is looking good too, not gonna lie. A doctor trying in vain to save their beloved and slowly going insane is an old tale, and the constant taunts and temptations that Urudimmu will no doubt present us with will definitely spice up the story. Plus, doctors have to be well-educated, so this may be a step closer to that Hunter/Scholar hybrid I always wanted. If Elizabeth doesn't drink our blood first, that is.
    :lol:

Cloud and Uridimmu (open)

[​IMG]

1A is still my first choice, though: it ties in with so many interesting and intriguing characters and events. Lenin is very likely opposed to both Rasputin and Alexei, both very worthy antagonists. This storyline will place us at the root of the coming political upheavals and all of the Tower's power structures, all the stuff that fascinated me about the setting from the beginning.

There are no bad choices in this update. I'll be cool with whatever we pick, bros.

That's not where I'm coming from at all. Barring the possibility of a deus ex machina intervention from Rain a-la Baby Yoda, I sincerely doubt that a young boy training to be an orderly can offer any course of action to seasoned medical professionals. None of the choices presented in this update, or the text itself, telegraph an intent to help her, either. We'll be hired to work as an orderly and maybe get to visit her if she's not under a strict quarantine. If we're not busy, you know, working.

Yeah, all two of them. And we did take care of Liz, since we are her friend and her parents employed us as her caretaker. Now she's pushing us to pursue our best life instead of following her around like a dog (heh) would it's dying master.

There was no Great Betrayal of Expectations, no Vittoria Mutilata. Our choices delivered exactly what they promised to deliver, no more and no less.

===Tally===

==1st choice==
    A - 3 (1)
    B - 4 (6)
    C - 7

==2nd choice==

A - 0
    B - 2
    C - 12

Show Spoiler

Baltika9 - AC>BC
    Nevill - AC
    hellofriend - AC>BC>CC

CappenVarra - BC
    Nahel - BB
    Grimgravy - BC>BB>CC
    Azira - BC>CC

ChumBucket - CB>BB
    Kz3r0 - CC
    Kalarion - CC
    Lambchop19 - CC>BC
    asxetos - CC
    Egosphere - CC
    Nyx - CC

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    CC

• Salute Salute x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I agree with Lambchop about one thing: there's no point randomly jumping between one thing and another.

I wasn't entirely sold on Commie Work, but we chose it, and then by not taking the bomb package, we also turned down opportunities within it. But if we then choose to rewind all of that and take up Tlalli's recommendation, what the hell was the point of leaving the village in the first place? We all knew that it's not like we were going to magically solve Liz's illness by sweeping her room for a few weeks.

We either came to the city for opportunities only the city can provide, in which case, we decided that was political hijinks, so we might as well take that up.
    Or, we came to the city, abandoning Sophie etc., in order to try and save Liz, in which case, hospital work is the option we have available to us. One might wish that we could train to be a doctor, but that's not on the cards.

I don't know how urgent Liz's situation is, but taking a few years to get that training, or hanging out with commies, and then popping by to see her and magically being able to solve her illness, sounds pretty farfetched. (I don't know how being a hospital aide would help, but then, nobody knew how going to the city with her would help, either, and we did. So if we came to the city for Liz, we clearly did it to be able to be next to her.)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    And this has to be either/or, no middle ground or a mix of reasons?

I was thinking that, since her family needed health care only a big city could provide, we decided to tag along for a chance to see the world, and because we didn't want to leave Liz alone when she was at her lowest. Trying to save her may have been a consideration on the voters' part, but probably not Wrinkly's since he had no idea how to do that, except the obvious one that he turned down.

Perhaprs then it is not a question of abandoning paths and changing directions, but adjusting priorities? We have a closer relationship with Liz than we would have if we never left Scotsfield, and if we take Tlalli's offer now, it will be in the same city Liz' family is in. That's a major difference from having Tlalli pick one, and there is no issue of "popping by" to see her after several years because we are living in her household and are in contact with her and her parents.

One thing that bugged me about these LPs is that people push the idea that everything should be either 0% or 100%. If we aren't spending nights at Liz' bedside, then we might as well ditch her and should not have come here in the first place.

I am not even against the hospital (Liz is a very endearing character, and I like the idea of ourselves getting a medical education with the goal of finding a cure for our friend), but that logic irks me somewhat fierce.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.