Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Apr 6, 2020.

1. That's not what I'm trying to do. But I am trying to provide a much needed course correction back to what's more important, both to our character and to us the players - at least according to what people have said in the past itt.

Blame the choices and not me if you feel they are too much one way or the other. I didn't write them.
    Then why don't you vote for the hospital or have it as a conditional?

You say "Liz Best Girl" and then keep trying to convince us to ignore her for 3 years to go down a rabbit trail of starting some sort of marxist revolution in the tower because reasons.

Talk about logic that irks.

• Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Because I do not do conditionals anymore. Have not done it once since the start of the LP.

I want political hijinx, and I stand by my choice.

And because writing in all caps about poor Liz who would die, or whom we will abandon if we do not go the hospital route, and then setting up another option as a conditional (which is unacceptable according to your own logic) makes it look like you are ruled more by lingering butthurt over our choice of part-time work for the Marxist Institute when were eleven than actual care for anyone.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. I set it up to ruin the chances of the commie choice working so that you and anyone who thinks like you would be more inclined to vote CC, which is my preferred option. I pretty much said as much when I did it.

I also didn't do it until after arguing with you for several posts, so accusing me of having that as my original intention is not only baseless, but points to you being the butthurt one for drawing such an illogical conclusion.

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nyx Novice

Nyx
    CC

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I think all of this is fair. I'm just uneasy about the fact that we come to the city primarily for Liz (I'm assuming), and then we pass up two major choices where we thought there might tbe a more direct connection to helping her out (Astras, now Hospital).

Perhaps Liz will die no matter what once we turned down doggie. Perhaps she'll stably hang on just fine for 10 years. We don't know, so I won't vote based on any guess there. But yes, while not 0 or 100, it's about priorities, and the rationale for BC, for example, is not immediately apparent to me, except as a case of wanting to have all the cakes.

I don't know what to vote for, myself. I'm still a bit leery about AC because it seems pretty OOC for Wrinkly, a character who suffers from no messiah complex, does not have much a political bone (yet), and has no strong in-character motivation to go with AC at the expense of BC or CC.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We never refused to go to the Hunter's Academy, and it was always our aspiration, even though we left Scotsfield. The dichotomy was something the Codexers imagined and used to campaign against going to Vienna. Wrinkly knew there would be an Academy branch in there.

So it could be seen as a continuation of the path we intended to take all along, except we are also in a big city making connections of our own, and we didn't let Liz leave without a friend. Is that not enough rationale?

I am not entirely sure apprenticing as an orderly bars that door to us, but the school is said to improve our chances of being accepted drastically, as well as provide training in skills specifically related to our future career as a Hunter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I looked through all the various reasons people voted to leave Scottsfield. Most of them boiled down to 'why not?' and 'yeah, let's go pursue a different life!' Didn't help that all votes to come here were also votes against saving Liz.

And, to be fair, that's exactly what we did: we helped out our friend, earned some cash and developed our skills.

This is a really good point: we were just a simple bookkeeper at the KMI. We didn't have any recorded interactions with Ulyanov, so Wrinkly doesn't have much of a reason to even consider the dude as a mentor. Lord Zhang, being a model teacher, proved that he was willing to fight for us, while Lenin didn't even bother giving us a recruitment speech.

:rpgcodex:

It's probably because treave is a busy man, but your point stands. Did we even have any offscreen interactions with Vladimir, treave?

I don't think it's unreasonable for a young boy to 'move on,' as it were. What can Wrinkly realistically expect to do to help Liz? He already turned down the Hound's offer, and he doesn't have anything resembling a medical education. Further, he finished his work at the KMI, Liz herself told him to move on with his life multiple times and there's your case for accepting the Academy invitation.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Don't forget Liz dreamed of joining the Hunters too. And she pushed us to get out of the house and DO something. The red faction made us a boring librarian. Now people want us to clean bedpans and push wheelchairs rather than pursue our shared dream of the Hunter's Society? I am disappoint and I'm confident Liz is disappoint too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. What's a hero? Is he someone who tries to help his friends or someone who abandons them so that he can have a supposedly easier time joining a monster hunting club later on?

You can talk about cleaning bedpans or whatever in an effort to help our friend being a bad thing, but I think the guy who decided to raise a child he found in the woods virtually on his own would have no problem doing it.

I wasn't keen on being a nanny for our elf baby here early on, but I like the direction our character has gone in and I'd like him to continue being the soft-hearted badass he clearly is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Should have stayed with Sophie tbh. I'm sure Liz won't approve of us staying close to her by working at the hospital, but that's the character Wrinkly has demonstrated up to this point: A loyal, goodhearted dude who will do what's necessary even if it costs him. Getting work at the hospital is the appropriate thing to do in the context of his previous actions, regardless of what Liz's opinion of it might be. It's also a little pathetic, but hey - why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    When in doubt, back to the update! What would we actually do in each of these options?

A:
    We'd be talent hunting. Sounds like a nice way to get around, meet new people, and see more of the city, so that seems to be the clear positive.

B:
    Obviously, this invitation is something we'd be hard pressed to get otherwise. So we can expect a more elite education here that isn't available to any riffraff off the streets.

C:
    Unlike A & B, there's nobody that actually is looking out for us here to teach us or give us interesting work. So I doubt we'd get to do something fun - we're not booksmart for medicine nayway. I expect the best we can hope for is to spot something irregular in the hospital, e.g. regarding Liz, and get involved.

Frankly, if we're purely in it to beef up Wrinkly's skills and resources, B is probably the way to go. And C is a very clear choice to give a lot of that up for some vague hope of helping Liz, though that's sort of how we also decided to end up here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    1B is such an obviously superior choice for long-term character development, of course you guys will find a way not to vote for it

can't do the sensible thing, no sir, that would be un-codexian

what a damn bunch of hipsters

:rpgcodex:

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Munchkinism is a disease.
    What’s the point of role playing if we always chose the obvious superior choice?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Guys, let’s not think like bio/bethards, there’s no reason for Lenin to make a measly librarian part of his grand plans, unless he knows of the doggie, in this case we will receive other offers of recruiting.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    sure, i actually agree

but when given a choice between communism, XP boost, or love (and to paraphrase DE, love and communism get you killed) i have to resort to logic (not my first choice, usually)

perhaps the real friendships are the skill points we gained along the way?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    also, remember this:

in a high-magic anime universe, codex choices based on the above:
    - get better at housework
    - catalogue political pamphlets
    - (pending) change linen in a hospital

we got to the big city because it offers much better adventure opportunities than ye olde quainte village of bumfuck by the river

also, to get away from Sophie's malign influence, and to help out Liz as much as we can as an untrained 12yo friend

if we avoid drudgery and mundane (in before the wisdom of tending your own garden), we have supernatural forces at work, and political intrigue

i thought we chose the hunter background to play a non-political down-to-earth character (that still gets to make an impact through kicking supernatural ass and uncovering secrets of the tower) for once?

that means someone who does not get attached to every powerful butterfly (a.k.a. baltikiosis: see Rasputin - love Rasputin let's join him; see Tlali - love Tlali let's join her; see Demon Prince of Dog Eat Dog - love doggy let's join him; see Lenin - love Lenin let's join him...), but takes care of Rain (our first and most important attachment) and tries to make his own way in the world

the Hunters and Tlali are so far our best bet, and we still have a good shot at getting there - plus elite education (do you have any idea how valuable this is given the time and place?)

if we can help Liz without making our whole character about her (and avoid Sophie without making our whole character about her either), that's pretty nice

but sacrificing long-term prospects because of touchy-feely-hippie i'll stand close to you - that's not a high WIS option

you can sit by a girl's bedside and scrub hospital floors when you're 12, or 20, or 67; you can only attend an elite high-school when you're 12 (or whatever)

which of the options aligns with Wrinkly's goal of "you would like to know more about, well, everything"?

how is scrubbing hospital floors a good option, except that it aligns with an unspoken agenda of "let's do as mundane things as possible, that's so ironic in an anime universe"?

also, skill points: sweet precious skill points, yummy lovely skill points - skill points can turn us into someone who can maybe actually help Liz, provide for Rain, and do many other great things

being a janitor can only turn us into a smelly dude who scrubs floors until he dies, remembering all those roads not taken

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Nothing particularly personal or interesting. It is as written: he's just impressed by your work ethic, that's all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    I will elaborate further on my decision to go to the hospital, I still believe Liz is a vampire and I want to support her, henceforth I assume that her parents know about that and she is sent to the hospital because deaths there will be uncospicuous, I also assume that she doesn’t want us around for that exact reason.

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Perhaps, but he has other qualities as well: doggedness, focus and determination. There are good in-character reasons to pursue B.
    But we always say that. I want to do politics for once.
    :(

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I would disagree with that, or rather, with the way you apply the term. You mean it in the sense that it is unlikely that we are the Chosen One who gets all the quests just by being there, am I correct?

Interesting things tend to happen to and around powerful/influental people. An assassin in the night, persecution by authorities, conversations held in hushed tones, notes delivered to safehouses, parcels and money passed under the table... A measly eleven year old librarian has no reason to be a part of any of this, but we won't always be a librarian, and we won't always be eleven. Something interesting will happen, inevitably, should we choose to stay in the eye of the storm.

And Uridimmu's prophecy all but guarantees that we won't have a nice quiet life cataloguing pamphlets.

It is unreasonable to believe you are given a starring role in the show when OOC you are a quest protagonist, and IC a demon prince is vouching for you.
    No, not quite. Codex has chosen to move to the city; the house chores were a part of living with another family and not leeching off them. When given an actual choice between a paying job and more housework, we chose the former.

It might be disappointing to not peddle our soul to every demon prince that wants a chew toy (what was that about baltikiosis? :lol:), but we are in our formative years, and barring something going awry (like sneaking out into the ruins while getting sidelined by Rasputin, and being sent six floors away from home) won't have a lot of magical things happen to us until we reach the age of majority and bug off in search of adventure. We could look for trouble while still underage, but for some reason that didn't appeal to many. :roll:

As for the divison between political and supernatural you bring up so often... isn't it a bit artificial? The political landscape of the world we know was reshaped due to the discovery of the Tower and the phenomena that came with it. The Astras and the mad quest to go beyond the White Wall are the subject of court machinations and international intrigue. I don't think one can be separated from the other.

Besides, the very point of having a world like ours, but not quite, is to be able to have context without predictability. Without said context, Vladimir and Georgy would be two bearded nerds arguing on campus. With it, we are looking at something that may shake the foundation of the world. I don't think it would take entirely mundane means.

Lenin has plans for the Tower, and it does not get more supernatural than this.

I can respect the point about this being a not very "hunter" path. I probably wouldn't be considering it if it weren't for our prior encounter with Alexei and Rasputin.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    That is why I see no bad choices. All have in character justification. Even going with Lenin. Wrinkly Has no problem joining someone who appears to show genuine interest in helping him. Doesn't mean he wouldn't change his mind if the Communist proves to be a manipulative power grabbing bastard, but Ilyich has yet to show that side of himself to us. Probably took an interest in us because we passed the useful idiot test when we refused to be a bomb jockey.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I somehow missed this. The thing about 'powerful butterflies' is that they help you make your own way in the world. And they're much better at it than the 'not powerful butterflies' like Father McClellan and Ralph Bathory Bayther* who are our current patrons. The 'bootstrap myth' doesn't really apply to Cloud, we've been surviving off of the kindness (and 'kindness') of strangers since our house burned down.

As far as the medical condition of baltikiosis (btw, nice :lol: ) is concerned, I have been honest with my intentions from the start of the game: I want to explore the cool aspects of this setting and get embroiled in the political and the supernatural. Is Rasputin, as a character, cool? Yes. Are the Hound, Tlalli and Lenin, as characters, cool? Yes. Do I get fired up about pursuing cool story leads in a setting filled with the mystical, the magical and the political? Yes, I do and I'm not ashamed of it.

Lastly, any choices offered to us by treave are, by default, in character. He wouldn't have offered them otherwise.

*Btw, does anyone know the background of the Bathory surname? Are they Welsh or Bavarian?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    In a lot of ways I feel we are still in the prologue for our character. Each powerful person we meet has a chance to be defining for us. Much like life you have to eventually choose a place to plant your flag, using the avenues life gives you. If you refuse to make that choice and take on the power and responsibility you leave that choice to the world. And rarely does that end happily. Baltika is merely drawn to these butterflies because he see's the opportunities they can provide. He doesn't want every single one all at once, but he is going to advocate for every single one because if we keep passing them up, we will be left with whatever scraps are left at the bottom of the barrel instead of the meals treave presented us. Baltika doesn't want us to pick EVERY one, he is just the advocate for us to PICK ONE.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Hungarian.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    And just for added clarification on my previous statement. Just because we accept Lenin's offer doesn't mean we are doomed to become a communist. We might actually become the towers biggest anti-communist as a result of our experiences on the inside of the machine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.