Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    A

This does seem like a disaster in the making.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kalarion Arcane Patron

Kalarion
    Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    treave are we allowed to ask Harold's advice re: doggo's suggestion? It would probably mean revealing we have a rider (otherwise he'd have no reason to believe our blood would do anything) but in for a penny...

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  4. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Hmm. I sort of trust that what the voice is saying to be true. The procedure wont end well if we don't add our blood. I do not trust the voice to have our best interest in mind.

B

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    A

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Unfortunately he's too focused on his work at the moment and has ceased responding to you. :M

Attracting his attention by other means such as pulling him away from the body or hitting him over the head is an option I can offer, let's call it C.

^ Top  
  7. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
  8. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Hang on, this C - Stop Harold before the wrongdoing sets in sounds like a pretty solid option, honestly.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Sputnik I?
    Uridimmu, didn't you boast that you were beyond mortal comprehension too?
    ...I think the doggo wants us to play with him.

More seriously, I believe he is very literal in what he says. Harold alone will likely fail to contain... whatever is trying to get back up. Do we want Harold to succeed here, in spite of his lacking demonstration of competence? You know there will be complications with Elizabeth if we are experiencing trouble even at preliminary stages.

Still, there is no other way but forward. We wouldn't stick with experimental soul magic if we thought there was a better way.

On one hand, this has potential to strain our master/assistant relationship. On the other, this is more precious data. FOR SCIENCE!

A. You do as the demonic hound says and add your blood to the canister.

But Elizabeth's soul is still in place.
    ...he is going to kill Elizabeth before he infuses her with another soul, isn't he?

How very... Heart of a Dog. :shittydog:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  10. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    How come? The runes are already glowing. We can stop the ritual on our end, but there is no guarantee that we haven't already crossed a point of no return, and what presumably is the God-entity won't force its way through. This could be the one moment we have to assert our control over the ritual and salvage this whole thing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    ^ Top  
  11. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Well, I'm not convinced he isn't leading to a bigger mess by moving ahead with this fiasco.

Nevill, yeah, I don't think this guy should be entrusted with Elizabeth's illness.

^ Top  
  12. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    I think adding our blood to the ritual should put us in control over the situation. Like I said - blood, soul, occult magic, summoning circles, octillionaire grindset. By all means, anyone who is actually read in these matters can correct me.

That being said I agree that this guy is not the right person to help Elizabeth. However, I also hope that we learn something from this experiment, some sort of insight that may put us in a position to cure her.

^ Top  
  13. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    A

On a side note probably we got the cure for Liz, drinking our blood, sealing our vampire relationship.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    A bit late to back out at this stage

Hey Kz3r0, good to see you back

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Kalarion Arcane Patron

Kalarion
    Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Two updates later:

:roll: you fucking people.

Well, if we can't ask Harold's advice we have to decide for ourselves. I suspect doggo wants our blood in the corpse as a method of transference. Yes, something is waking up, and it will be bad, but doggo doesn't give a shit about that. What he wants is to get out from under us.

Not interested. He can help us deal with whatever comes of this fiasco. And honestly, we might need Harold's help as well at the end of the day.

B.

^ Top  
  16. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    I change my vote to B on the sheer basis of the fact that dealing with the hound manifested into physical form versus whatever shit could happen by not using our blood would certainly be the worst outcome. Plus, if we ignore the hound we'll learn a thing or two about him. If things go fine, then we know we can't trust anything it says. If things go kind of bad, it's fifty-fifty on whether or not us adding our blood would've actually improved anything, and if it's goes absolutely fucking horrible then we'll know we can place a little more weight onto the doggies words. Either way, we've consistently been approaching our little demon dog's advice with trepidation and caution, I see no reason as to why we should switch up on that. And who knows, what if this mad scientist of ours actually does have everything under control.

^ Top  
  17. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Why would we even think the hound manifesting through our blood would be an outcome? Has it been established that the Hound is actually a part of us rather than simply sharing some sort of dream-link? We explicitly refused the spear and associated patronship, so it seems like we do not yet belong to him. I could very well have missed that part but having read everything that happened thus far a few days ago, it was my impression we were only contaminated with "the Devil" creature that wounded us in the leg, and our connection to DOG is far more tenuous. Like I said, while I don't trust the Hound, I don't think it would be eager to give us up to another entity, which is far more likely to manifest if we do nothing as the link between Aztec monster hunters and their Gods is known and proven.

I like the idea of this being a test case for dogger's advice, whatever the decision/outcome may be.

EDIT: Ah, I went back to reread The Black Pyramid of Uridimmu (II) and answered my own question.

Right, okay. Then it is chancy either way. Still, we are distinctly our own entity and not the Dog's slave, as opposed to the monster hunter doodz who literally become avatara of their deities. If the dog can just barely affect us via that one dream quest due to our own contamination, I don't see how adding a diluted fraction of its essence to the corpse will turn the latter into its vessel. Again, I recognize the risk, but see it as a safer alternative to meeting whatever Aztec cosmic horror elder god is coming through on the other end.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oh wow. This is so ripe with ... things!

Opportunities, nyah!

Let's go for A.

Maybe it'll unleash eldritch horrors upon our world. Sekhenun route unlock?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Non-Edgy Gamer Learned

Non-Edgy Gamer
    I'm glad you've all finally learned to trust man's best friend over some lunatic who clearly barely understands what he's fooling with.

A

^ Top  
  20. Orbit Educated

Orbit
  21. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    A.

I want to see how deep this rabbitPuppyhole goes. :shittydog:

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Looks like A is leading, but I can only tally and prep the update in about 2 days time.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    He's telling us to change while there's still time! Abort! ABORT!

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Non-Edgy Gamer Learned

Non-Edgy Gamer
    A vote for doggo is always a good idea and should never be aborted.

In all seriousness, imo, doggo is teaching us how to summon and control zombies. Meanwhile, Frankenstein here is about to create a monster he can't control (which was always going to happen because he's Frankenstein).

So the real choice here is either become a necromancer, have a fight with an out of control aztec zombie or abort the entire thing and get rid of Frankenstein altogether.

Oh, and as for doggo's motives, I think of this as a sort of free sample. He's getting us used to using his power and/or advice. We didn't accept his offer to use his power to treat Elizabeth and we've been stonewalling him for every update since. Either he just gets ignored or he extends an olive branch like this.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.