Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Orbit

Scholar
B. Useful for detective work, keeping us alive and dealing discreetly with unwanted individuals. A real swiss army knive.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
B.

While C will give us immediate help in this situation, B is much more versatile. Also, isn't our end goal to come to terms with our alcoholism and whatever is so traumatizing to us? If that's the case, using the Lesser Eye of Horus will act as a crutch, and hamper our progress in that regard, while also falling off in usefulness as time goes on. Also, confirming the cause of death shouldn't be difficult if it's something like gunshot, strangulation, or whatever else. But what if he was poisoned? Maybe a heart attack was induced? These are the tricky things, and the Quill will tell us about them.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
C.

B looks interesting, but honestly I don't want a skulldugger (yes I just made that word up shut up). A simple misunderstood mad, drunken latent seer with Zombie Apocalypse PTSD and a heart of gold will do just fine :M

A > B

Both are directly useful when it comes to investigations and seem to have a lot of utility in a host of other situations. I prefer the Orb because the shadows are more likely to be useful in immediate circumstances, for instance as distractions during combat, which synergizes with our earlier choice to facepunch a woman in her facehole. B is cool but requires more set up, planning, and intrigue to be useful and our duder does not seem uh as inclined to those things at present as he is towards faceholepunching.

I don't like C because like ItsChon points out it is a crutch although the reason for the drinking is pretty depressing - as I suppose most reasons for alcoholism are - as sad as it sounds we might be facing a choice of either being being sober but insane with spiritvision (TM) (R) or continuing to drink ourselves silly.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Also, isn't our end goal to come to terms with our alcoholism and whatever is so traumatizing to us?
lol, no.
I don't like C because like ItsChon points out it is a crutch although the reason for the drinking is pretty depressing
I don't think C relies on our alcoholism. It merely notes that while we'd rather be drunk, we can, for a short time, think more clearly than the average person, even when drunk.

treave?

Though either way, I like it better than shadow puppets and the drug quill.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't think C relies on our alcoholism. It merely notes that while we'd rather be drunk, we can, for a short time, think more clearly than the average person, even when drunk.
treave?

The real power of the Lesser Eye of Horus lies in restoration. It mildly improves all your physical faculties while in effect, which also has the side-effect of clearing up your head temporarily if you are under influence from a substance or other mundane mind altering means, at a degree and duration of your convenience.

But as mentioned in the text,
the smallest, most benign of tools which they deemed impossible to inflict harm with
none of these Astras are particularly powerful in the first place, which is why you have been allowed to keep one of them.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, good. Works like I thought then.

Just as well, since I think I was the one misinterpreting ItsChon, now that I reread his post. My bad.
none of these Astras are particularly powerful in the first place, which is why you have been allowed to keep one of them.
So the dreams of Shadowmancy of A voters are likely unfounded. :M

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Current tally.

A - 4
Azira
Baltika9
LithiumFlower
hello friend

B - 5
ItsChon
Orbit
Grimgravy
Kipeci
Tigranes

C - 4
Erykfrad
Non-Edgy Gamer
Kalarion
Nicebrain
A > B

Both are directly useful when it comes to investigations and seem to have a lot of utility in a host of other situations. I prefer the Orb because the shadows are more likely to be useful in immediate circumstances, for instance as distractions during combat, which synergizes with our earlier choice to facepunch a woman in her facehole. B is cool but requires more set up, planning, and intrigue to be useful and our duder does not seem uh as inclined to those things at present as he is towards faceholepunching.
What are you talking about? There is no situation in which we will be able to use the orb in combat, and its effectiveness as a distraction is so ridiculously niche. Did you read the description properly? The Shadows are literally a fucking visual aid and the eye just sobers us up a bit. The quill is the only Astra that gives us information that would be relatively difficult to ascertain, and it has the added bonus of being able to synthesize medication and poisons.

In my opinion, the choice is almost a little unbalanced with how good B is, we'd be a fool not to pick it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
What are you talking about? There is no situation in which we will be able to use the orb in combat, and its effectiveness as a distraction is so ridiculously niche. Did you read the description properly? The Shadows are literally a fucking visual aid and the eye just sobers us up a bit. The quill is the only Astra that gives us information that would be relatively difficult to ascertain, and it has the added bonus of being able to synthesize medication and poisons.

In my opinion, the choice is almost a little unbalanced with how good B is, we'd be a fool not to pick it.
Eh, they're all pretty good for minor Astras, imo. I like the shadow Astra because it lets us do those cool crime scene reconstructions that you see in detective stories, in addition to being good distractions.

Something that no one is discussing is that all of these Astras come with skill and character components to them. The shadow Astra sounds like a planning and strategy thing. I'm down with all of that.

Only reason I have C as a secondary is for a (now-dead) friend. Max sounds like a guy who didn't have many of those.

Kipeci

Arcane
B

Safeguards and analyzes our precious bodily fluids! Oh, and “medicinal” compounds could go a ways for taking the edge off in a pinch?

What are you talking about? There is no situation in which we will be able to use the orb in combat, and its effectiveness as a distraction is so ridiculously niche. Did you read the description properly? The Shadows are literally a fucking visual aid and the eye just sobers us up a bit.
Scenario 1: A stray coomer approaches us in a dark alley.

Coomer, Stray: "Produce thine asshole, sir, that we may tussle in bloody games of rapine!"

We, the Alco-ghoul: "I think instead to secure my dignity through my practiced artifice - but if it is a fisting you want then surely you will have it. Taste my huge orb, you smegma-swine! It is Porbing Time! (TM) (R)"

Then we porb the fuck out (porb is short for plato's orb, by the way,) generating a dozen shadows that will mirror our strikes so that the stray coomer doesn't know which attack to guard against, nor which target to attack.

Coomer, Stray: "You fool! Surely, with mine eyes alone I can distinguish the incorporeal nature of your shade companions from that girth and thickness of yours I so seek to abuse!"

Alco-ghoul: "Ah, then I better disrobe - but to no aid of you!"

Tearing our clothes in an instant, we are revealed to be wearing a black morph suit underneath our usual attire.

And the Stray coomer, having lost its ability to select a proper target, could do nothing but throw its head back and scream out an animalistic lament as we disabuse him of his vile intent with our fists.

Scenario 2: We approach a guard in a dark alley.

Alco-ghoul: "Need a distraction - I gotta porb."

We cast a shadow to flicker in the edge of the guard's vision.

Guard: "Oi, whazzat?"

The guard does a sharp 120 degree turn to look at the apparition, but sees nothing there.

Guard: "Must've been a stray coomer."

Yet in the interim we would have crossed the distance and pressed ourselves into his broad, muscular back - our hands coming to rest on his waist, perchance - as if returning to an old lover. And with a sudden flurry of fists we could daze the man and disabuse him of his asshole.

We would then whistle, casually and sexily, as we walked away lovingly stroking the man's severed asshole before concealing that bloody prize into the pockets of our black morphsuit.

Tigranes

Arcane
B>C.

Yeah, it's really hard to see why I would prefer A. It's a visualisation tool and it's not going to fool someone that there's an actual person in front of them - it's not going to be a combat thing anywhere near robust enough to beat B, with which we can figure out how healthy someone is, what diseases they're suffering from or how they died, concoct medicines and poisons... it is clearly useful for our present task, clearly useful for our future detectiving, and clearly useful for tasks beyond detectiving.

C also sounds useful, but B opens up particular actions that we can take and are interesting, whereas C just helps us generally.

I'm very undecided in this one. All 3 of them sound potentially useful, even the shadowmancy orb as a distraction tactic.

C would give us super insight so we can have an edge in conversations down the line, I would say, if we commit to C then we could go balls deep into the talky-diplomatic character and become Maximillian FUCK.
B sounds good in case not-Sophie needs a patch-up or we could trade our services as a doctor, maybe even bullshit our way into the hospital that was ground zero for the zombie invasion 15 year sago.
A, as said with the coomer example by Lithium Flower , can help as a diversion tactic. Sometimes, a few seconds of distraction is all you need.

I like talky characters, so C. for my vote. Unless there are better arguments for becoming a field doctor/apothecary/assassin, then I may flop to B.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I just can't see us poisoning people other than ourselves. Being able to reason well for brief moments sounds useful. Especially since we're obviously going to be getting sloshed for the lolz every other choice.

In before you guys give us a heroin habit.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
C would give us super insight so we can have an edge in conversations down the line, I would say, if we commit to C then we could go balls deep into the talky-diplomatic character and become Maximillian FUCK.
C doesn't give us super insight, it just boosts it to what it would be if we weren't hungover and drunk. And even with said insight, it does nothing to improve our charisma and talking ability lmfao. If your reasoning is that you want us to go down the diplomatic/charismatic/talkative route, B would be just as good for that.

you right that i aint got no bitches but i do have a lady and if you don't believe me you can ask yo momma what color bugatti i got playa

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
C doesn't give us super insight, it just boosts it to what it would be if we weren't hungover and drunk. And even with said insight, it does nothing to improve our charisma and talking ability lmfao. If your reasoning is that you want us to go down the diplomatic/charismatic/talkative route, B would be just as good for that.
It does give us super insight...considering that we're drunk.
granting you improved insight
It mildly improves all your physical faculties while in effect, which also has the side-effect of clearing up your head temporarily if you are under influence from a substance
Yeah, it's only going to make us suddenly sober when drunk, at least at first, but I kind of like the sudden snap to attention that we'll undergo.

I'm sure B would get us some interesting opportunities, but I doubt the Codex's commitment to being an underhanded, drunk assassin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom