Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Fuck, that was a brilliant twist with the spear of Longinus homing to Wrinkly because of his messianic attempt to save Rain - if I interpreted it correctly.

Glad to see a return to a flawed poli-cyni-cool protagonist (although I'm not sure how cool it is to attack our already neglected business partner over an alcohol, but it will certainly make for one hell of a character establishing moment.)

Orbit

Scholar
First choice in and we're starting a bar brawl?
b6d81bc1286f8586f2b28eb5460721a5.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
TBH, you couldn't blame her now if she just decided to sell us out to the highest bidder (if there is one), and then drink in our face when we are tied up and being dunked into a vat of unadulaterated water

I hope/suspect this is more of a chargen choice and a framing for an incredibly rocky buddy cop relationship that may or may not blossom into a hot and sweaty romance. If we don't utterly fuck it up (although knowing the crowd, we absolutely will) she can be our mommy gee eff and take care of us if we try to quit and end up going through withdrawal later.

But if we ignore genre conventions and exercise literally any amount of empathy for a second, this woman who is supposed to work with us has every right to be pissed off for us making her past days difficult with utter lack of cooperation, then demeaning her in front of the bartender and now for assaulting her over a drink.

So I think if her response is in any way close to tolerant of our bullshit this should tip us off that she is a pretty cool chick who is probably worth repairing our relationship with.

Although, to be fair to us, trying to fuck with a barely functional addict's supply is a provocation and if she is wise she should have expected us to lash out in some way.

Baltika9

Arcane
Although, to be fair to us, trying to fuck with a barely functional addict's supply is a provocation and if she is wise she should have expected us to lash out in some way.
Exactly. Don't fuck with a PTSD'ing vet's alcohol. Who knows what happened to Maxie in the Great War - maybe he lost friends, or a loved one. Pay or no pay, she ought to, as a practiced fighter, know when to leave well enough alone.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Prologue II: “This ship is British, and I am not.”

As she takes your drink, you order another. And another. And you frown. Surely she can’t keep this up? The bartender grows more nervous, you grow more irritated, and the only thing growing about her is her widening, impish grin.

“If you’re hoping that I’ll have to stop some time soon, I’m sorry to disappoint. I’ve had far worse as a Hunter. No offense meant, Mr. Bartender.” She nods at the bartender while continuing to keep her eye on you.

“Do you take such pleasure in childish games?” you sigh.

“Only when it’s annoying people that I dislike.” She sticks out her tongue at you.

“You’re definitely no lady… and please act your age.”

“I wanted to grow up quickly all the time as a little girl, but then I grew up and realized that it wasn’t all that nice,” shrugs the woman. "Let me have some fun at your expense."

The bartender clears his throat. “Milady, sir, I am extremely sorry but I would like to inform you that this will have to be the last order for the night…” He casts the both of you a pleading gaze, hoping that you would take your business elsewhere.

"I'm warning you..." you begin, but all you receive in response is a gaze that seems to dare you to act.

Recognizing that she is decidedly faster and nimbler than you are, you realize that you need to resort to other means to prevent her from getting to the glass before you can. You stretch your leg out and kick her stool out from under her. Take her out first, then you can drink at your leisure. Good alcohol was a scarce commodity on the frontlines, and she would be a fool to think that you had not learned a thing or two on your tour.

As she falls, you catch a flash of pure savagery in her gaze, enough to chill your blood. She lashes out, somehow managing to kick your stool out from under you even before hitting the floor. You tumble to the floor alongside her and roll to your feet, dashing for the glass. The both of you reach out your hands at the same time. She is faster than you are, but you have the advantage in reach, and you weren't aiming for the glass in the first place. You grab her arm instead, jerking it away from the glass. With your other hand you throw a punch at her, which she ducks with ease before slamming the top of her head into your jaw. The pain and shock causes you to release her and stumble backwards. She follows up quickly by driving her knee into your belly, knocking the wind out of you. With you staggered, she mockingly curls her fingers around the glass, though she makes no move to drink it. She looks straight at you.

"Do you need this that much? What are you trying to drown? I've heard that you were to be court-martialed for cowardice and incompetence. Were the stories in the papers true? Did you eat your own men to survive-"

You snap. Reflexively, in anger, you reach for the revolver tucked away in your coat, but the moment your fingers close around the grip, you freeze up. The gun suddenly feels like the heaviest thing in the world, and you are unable to move it. Or perhaps, you do not want to. The female Hunter's eyes narrow and she charges at you, far faster than she has ever moved before.

The next thing you know, you find yourself pinned to the ground, grappled into a chokehold. Smothered by her chest, it is not long before your consciousness begins to slip away.

You dream a dream of mud, fire and death. Of the rock above your head quaking as shells hammer the earth. Of flames pouring through dark tunnels like dragon’s breath. Of the corpses piled up, and the pale things that crept out at night to feed on such a bounty.

You dream of what you did, what had to be done.

You wake up soaked in sweat, trembling. It takes you a while to reorient yourself; without sleeping while steeped in drink you cannot keep the dreams away, and you have to reassure yourself that you are not back in the bloody trenches. You are back in your cabin on the Mauretania, and the sun’s rays are shining in irritatingly from the windows. It seems to be noon already. Though you must have slept for hours, you do not feel rested at all. Groaning, you pull yourself upright.

“Bad dreams?”

You glare at the Hunter, who is looking no worse for the wear as she smirks at you from atop the other bed. She doesn't seem to mind at all that you almost drew on her over a glass of whiskey and some words, nor does she seem inclined to bring up the little tussle she had with you whatsoever.

“None of your business,” you mutter.

“Well, whatever it is, it looks like there’s been an incident. Turns out that someone important got snuffed just last night, and the captain’s requested that you assist him in your capacity as the highest-ranking military personnel onboard. His words, not mine.”

“Military? Has the captain taken leave of his senses? This ship is British, and I am not. I am very sure that said incident is none of my business either.”

“The captain has ordered that the bar be closed until we dock.”

You ball up your fists. Seeing the dreadful expression on your face, the woman quickly adds, “Oh, that has nothing to do with you personally, all of the facilities are to be shut down until investigators from the closest port, which would be from the Tower, arrive.”

“I see.”

A. You decide to at least hear the captain out and see what he wants. Maybe he’ll have something good to drink in his quarters, and maybe he’ll be able to get the bar opened up more quickly… hopefully.

B. You decide to just hole up in your room until everything blows over. It means having nothing to drink and perhaps some sleepless nights for a few more days, but it beats being forced into resolving incidents. You have had enough of that.

Fuck, now I really hope that we can redeem ourselves and not just #yolotigerdevoursoul towards a short and brutish end.

A.

We seem like someone driven into near-complete dysfunction and indignity by feelings of guilt - which means, I think, that underneath all that we have a strong conscience. Paralyzed by shame, maybe, but in the right quantities it can be a powerful motivator and hopefully the means by which we can claw back our decency. I'd like to think that, besides pragmatic concerns, we feel at least a little bad about last night and that is ultimately what pushes us to help out - the first step towards repairing our conscientiousness - when we otherwise seem to have been perfectly fine germinating in the cabin or the bar for the rest of the journey.

You glare at the Hunter, who is looking no worse for the wear as she smirks at you from atop the other bed. She doesn't seem to mind at all that you almost drew on her over a glass of whiskey and some words, nor does she seem inclined to bring up the little tussle she had with you whatsoever.

Yeah, she's good people. Shows that she can tolerate a large degree of unprofessional antics from us, and even match some of it should it become necessary, but has discretion and understanding enough to return to business the next morning - which, you know, sounds like a pretty good set up for other kinds of unprofessional antics if we play our cards right. Plus we got a bit of intimate tussling in and even when she was goading us she showed some empathy so overall I think this was actually pretty good for our rapport.

EDIT: I have a pretty strong feeling that the Hunter is Sophie. Anglo features, mentioned wanting to grow up quickly when she was a kid (Sophie always acted mature and a little haughty for her age,) and she would be, what, 29 now which matches our impression of her age (around or slightly older than us, and we are 24.) She probably took Tlalli up on her offer after all of her friends ended up moving away and triggering armageddon/apotheosis/whatever the fuck it was Wrinkly and Rain did.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Smothered by her chest
Still anime, always anime. :M

This worked out pretty well, though it was far from the friendly brawl some anticipated. It's clear that our past has twisted us beyond what we're able to handle.

A. Hear the man out. If we have to do a few chores for these Britbongs to get our sauce, then so be it. Beats being cooped up with Tits McGee here.

We can go toe to toe with a hunter and have a gun? This character is getting better by the minute. Would his brain work the way it should without a stiff drink?
Anyways, when not-Sofie mentioned cannibalism, I wonder how John Bull is going to play into this story or if his influence can extend beyond the tower.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Prologue III: “I would very much like to have a drink.”

The captain of the Mauretania is a man built like a barrel, dressed all in white as befits his rank. A great black bushy beard adorns his face, which he scratches as he sees you enter through the door, with your unwanted companion in tow. Rising from his very cushy looking chair, he greets you jovially. You would not have thought that someone just died onboard his ship. “Ah, Herr von Falkenhayn. I had hoped that you would come, and so you have!”

“Captain.” You give him a curt nod, your gaze drawn inexorably towards the polished green bottle atop his desk. Chateau Lafite… the label is unmistakeable.

“Ordinarily, I would not think to bother my guests with a terrible matter such as this, but given the identity of the deceased as well as your own extraordinary reputation, not to mention the current political needs of you and your family’s, I thought this might lead to a desirable outcome for us all.”

“Mm hmm.” You nod again, looking at the bottle. That richness, sharp yet sweet. How would it feel to have such pleasurable liquid slide down your throat? Your mouth feels extremely dry all of a sudden, and you gulp.

“As such, Herr von Falkenhayn, if you would do me the pleasure of assisting investigations in this matter I would be grateful enough to send word to your family, indeed, to everyone I know, of the services you have rendered.”

“Right.” You had only had the fortune to encounter a wine such as this once, some years before the War, and it had sadly been back when you had yet to learn of the sweet bliss that alcohol could offer. Yet even then you knew that you had drunk of something special.

“Should I take that as agreement then? Excellent, most excellent. What would you like to do first?”

“I would very much like to have a drink.”

The captain arches his thick eyebrows as the Hunter behind you snorts in laughter.

After much deliberation on the captain’s part, you were offered something – sadly, not the Chateau Lafite – which sated your thirst for a while.

“Are you sure? Shouldn’t you be keeping your wits sharp for an investigation?” asks the Hunter, as the both of you make your way to the scene of the crime.

“Fool, I need those senses of mine dulled by just a bit for this.” Your senses had always been sharper than most, but after that incident, it has become a bit too sharp… and dangerous, like a naked blade that was just as liable to cut you as it was the enemy. This was the case even more so when dealing with the dead. You absolutely refuse to be anywhere near a corpse without having at least a bit of alcohol in you, lest you start hearing and seeing things that aren’t really there. “Why are you following me again?” you ask.

“It’s my job, and I have nothing better to do. Besides, if the captain has that much glowing praise for your skills I’d certainly like to witness it up close!”

“Suit yourself.” You grumble under your breath, deciding not to waste your time arguing with her. You quickly go over the details of the case in your head.

The deceased was a business magnate by the name of Franklin Rockefeller. You had heard of him, or rather, his family in passing – they were one of the linchpins of the world economy, with interests that spanned the Aztecan continent, Europe, and of course the Tower itself. The Rockefeller Institute for Astra Research had driven numerous advances in the past twenty years, including several breakthroughs in using Astra-based technology for power generation. It comes as a mild surprise to you that one of their heirs was aboard the Mauretania. It might be a very luxurious ship, but the Rockefellers were rich enough to afford their own airships.

The body was found at 9 AM in the morning, when the deceased’s maids tried to wake him up. The door had apparently been locked from the inside, necessitating the use of the crew’s skeleton key. Upon discovery of the body, the captain was immediately informed. He ordered the lockdown of the decks and had conducted his own questioning of the crew, though not the passengers. According to the crew, no one besides Mr. Rockefeller himself had passed through the stairs to the topmost passenger deck – where his cabin was located – between midnight and 9 AM.

You reach the Rockefeller room. It is massive, at least twice the size of your own. The suite has a dedicated dining area and an attached bathroom. In the bedroom, on the bed, lies the deceased. He is facing upwards, his eyes shut as if sleeping. In sharp contrast to the bloom of red staining his chest, his hands are folded and placed over his belly, and his legs are neatly closed. This might be one of the neatest deaths you have ever seen.

The Hunter takes out a battered pair of glasses and puts it on. She would look like a picture-perfect, beautiful schoolmistress… her choice of attire aside. “What’s with those glasses?” you ask, unable to restrain your curiosity.

As if she read your mind, she replies, “If I hadn’t become a Hunter, I’d probably have become a teacher.” She looks around the room, squinting. “No secret passages here as far as I can see. I suppose the room was perfectly locked before the body was found.”

Those glasses must be an Astra of some sort. You get back to your own business. Confirming the cause of death, confirming the time of death… these were important questions to answer, and had you access to all the resources you once had, it would have been resolved swiftly. But in your fall from grace, your family and country had stripped you almost entirely of the weapons you once wielded. You were only allowed to keep a single Astra in this exile to the Tower, as a small sign of sympathy, the smallest, most benign of tools which they deemed impossible to inflict harm with.

You would have to make do with what you have.

A. You use the Orb of Plato. It is used to project shadows that almost seem to be alive. In your hands, it allows you to recreate and visualize scenes and incidents as they might have happened, among other uses that shadows could have. You had used it frequently when reviewing war games during strategy training, as the shadows had a physical realism to what they could or could not do despite being entirely intangible.

B. You use Paracelsus’s Quill. By dipping it into a sample of a biological liquid (e.g. blood), it can tell those trained in its use certain things about the source of the sample (e.g. its health). It could also synthesize simple medication. You had used this to ensure your company was in tip top shape during their monthly check-ups, though it seems that its potential for creating poison was overlooked by the court...

C. You use the Lesser Eye of Horus. While uncontrolled sobriety can be a very bad thing for your sanity, the Lesser Eye allows you limited control over your inhibited senses, granting you improved insight while also giving you a way to turn it off before things get out of hand. This you picked up from the corpse of an allied Ottoman officer who had once been a trusted friend.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
C. If we're going to be drunk Sherlock Holmes, we might as well be good at our job.

Though I will admit that B is tempting, A seems like a gimmick (unless it turns out we can evolve it into full-on shadow magic later).

Ah, Herr von
German detected. Gentlemen, our prime suspect. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
A>C

Voting as much for the Eye as I am for a (now-expired) friendship with an Ottoman officer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom