Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bedlam (VI)

You state your refusal firmly, leaving no room for ambiguity.

“Oh, is that so. I suppose I can’t make you change your mind, hmm? Thought so. Pity.” John Bull shrugs his wide, rounded shoulders. “Well, well, the clock is a-ticking and I am afraid I am a very, very busy man, so do excuse me. Hm, this is not a method I would like to resort to, but if it needs be done…”

He makes a dramatic show of coughing, and when he speaks next, he sounds exactly like you do.

“Come with me, Elizabeth.”

Liz stirs, barely conscious, and mutters her approval.

John Bull grins, his mouth pulled apart so wide that you can see every sharp tooth. Before you can react, both he and Liz are already vanishing into the mist. A black dagger slices at the both of them, but too late. It does nothing more than disperse their already fading images. The mist disappears, revealing the angry knight. His face red and twisted in a mask of fury, he rushes at you and aims a hard kick at your jaw.

You are instantly floored by the blow, stars bursting behind your eyes. The man straddles you and presses one hand down on your throat, hard. “An acquaintance of the Cannibal Duke, are we?” he hisses, all venom. If you thought him hostile before, he seemed downright murderous now. “I should have known, given that devil’s eye of yours.”

The dagger pierces into your blackened eye with a sickening crack. The blade pulses, as if it was a living thing, and something foul begins pouring into the eye, melting it from inside out. You struggle but in vain, as he clamps down on your throat with his free hand and chokes you into silence. You are unable to even scream from the torturous pain, nothing but a grating rattle escaping your vocal cords.

“Let him go!” Trying to save you, Rain runs at him and earns nothing more than an elbow to her head for her troubles. She tumbles to the ground, unconscious and bleeding from her nose.

“I will purge you.” There is no mercy to be found in that voice. The grip around your throat tightens, the bones of your neck creaking. All strength has left you; there is a sickening poison flowing from where your eye used to be, the remnants of the melted eye.

“Antonio, stop! What are you doing to these children?”

A shout rings out. You can feel his grip loosening, and you gasp for breath.

The man, Antonio, stands up, the dagger dangling in his grip. “Children? They are barely even human, Commander, I had just burnt a devil’s orb out of that boy’s right eye socket. You left the back gates to me, claiming that those who would sneak out the back were the most suspicious. You were right, so let me deal with this. That’s why I am here.”

He is addressing another knight, dressed in what seemed to be a set of golden armor uncharacteristic of this modern day and age. You are unable to see the commander’s face, obscured as it is behind a shining helm. Behind him were half a dozen other knights, though these were dressed more similarly to the one who had taken your eye.

“Barely human is still human,” sighs the commander. “By the Council, we may only purge them on site if they have been fully proven to be inhumans.”

“Well, funny you should mention that, Commander. There was a bloodsucker here just now, and the Cannibal Duke too.”

“John Bull? What in the Tower was he doing all the way here!?”

The man glances at you, his gaze full of scorn and hatred.

“Does the boy know?” asks the commander quickly. “What were you thinking, executing a witness before a proper interrogation has been completed?”

“I doubt he could tell us anything useful,” shrugs Antonio in return. He has calmed down and sounds almost bored right now, his cold fury disappeared as cleanly as John Bull’s mists.

“From his clothes, it seems that he might be employed at this hospital… which means that he might know something about what that man has done.” The commander turns and looks at a stretcher being guarded by his subordinate knights. There is Harold, still breathing, still unconscious, and strapped firmly to the stretcher with no room to move. “Report to me exactly what happened, Antonio. Then I shall decide.”

You feel the tiny stirrings of strength creeping back into your body, bit by bit. It seems that they have underestimated your resilience. While Antonio is talking to his commander, no one is looking at you or Rain, who is still lying out cold on the ground. If you are to attempt an escape, as unlikely as it might be, this is your chance.

A. You attempt to escape. This might be the only opportunity you can get, seeing as you don’t think you’ll be able to talk your way out of anything.
1. You try to grab Rain before escaping. You aren’t about to leave her here, in their hands.
2. You try to escape alone. The daunting task of escape would be even more impossible while being burdened with her. You can always try to free her later.

B. You do not try to escape, and let the knights take you into custody. Whether or not they will put you to death, it is too risky to run right now.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shit...

B.

There are a dozen knights here, no way we're escaping. Here's hoping our knight in shining armor will look after us.

ChumBucket

Augur
I was expecting Liz would be going with the Cannibal Duke regardless of our choice.... but I saw the vote out come well before I could add my thoughts to the mix.

I feel the B would be most consistent with Wrinkly's character so far.

Baltika9

Arcane
So it goes.

A1

Even if we can't escape, it may give Rain the chance to do so. And that's what counts, as the knights explicitly said they will purge anyone who is non-human. That means Rain will die at their hands.

We can't allow that, even if it costs us our life.

Edit: and we lost the Hound's astra.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Liz-less, eye-less, and are about to begin the training on how to be a Hunter at the hands of some murderous sadists.

Cucked by the fat Anglo after two years of waiting for Liz to wake up, too. Commissar Lambchop didn't die for this.

...on a more serious note, Comrade Bull probably did us a favor by taking Liz away from the Spanish Inquisition, but I am still upset we didn't follow her, as everything we were afraid of still applies to Liz alone, and she is less well-equipped to deal with whatever trickery the Spherical Man has in mind.

Depends on what he wants, I guess. If he has interest in us, he'll be back soon dangling Liz in front of us again. If his target is Tlalli, well...
Maybe Rain will be picked up by the Hound and spirited away, to be schooled in the art of Fucking Over The Protagonist.
We can wait for six more years. :negative:

On the subject of our options...
Even if we can't escape, it may give Rain the chance to do so. And that's what counts, as the knights explicitly said they will purge anyone who is non-human. That means Rain will die at their hands.
This is not how I read this. Rain will not escape without us, that's for one. She neither wants to, nor is she capable of it, being rendered unconscious. For two, it's too greedy and may cause us to fail the escape and get tortured worse for the attempt.

I think we either escape without her, and come back for her later -- this isn't abandonment, as we would never just leave her for good. In the current circumstances she is closest to a human and knows nothing about the debacle, meaning that she should be safe. I don't remember if Harold knows her.

Or we buckle up and sit tight, going through whatever procedure the knights have in stock for us. Which would be... very in-character, and I am already butthurt from separating from a party member once. But might also be stupid.
“Does the boy know?” asks the commander quickly. “What were you thinking, executing a witness before a proper interrogation has been completed?”
Does this imply executing witnesses afterwards is fine?

A. You attempt to escape. This might be the only opportunity you can get, seeing as you don’t think you’ll be able to talk your way out of anything.
2. You try to escape alone. The daunting task of escape would be even more impossible while being burdened with her. You can always try to free her later.

I heavily dislike the wording "you can always do this later, totally" -- when did things ever work out like this? -- but this is what I want to be doing, so I'll swallow the disgust.

Last edited:

Orbit

Scholar
I think our moment of YOLO has passed us by. I vote B and hope the knights won't be too harsh on the rectal treatment when they interrogate us.

And next time we'll meet the Cannibal Duke we're gonna ride the bull. No more "safe" or "sensible" voting!

Baltika9

Arcane
This is not how I read this. Rain will not escape without us, that's for one. She neither wants to, nor is she capable of it, being rendered unconscious. For two, it's too greedy and may cause us to fail the escape and get tortured worse for the attempt.
If we try to run and they catch us, we'll look even more guilty though...
I dunno, gents. To me it feels like these weirdos are gonna kill her. They said as much, in this update and the last, and I want to do everything we can to avoid that. Maybe we can get closer to the Hound and work out a bargain, maybe we can throw her into a hidey-hole where these lunatics won't find her. Maybe something else may turn up.

But, as it stands, I think we should do our best to get her away from this. I genuinely do not think we have a good chance of saving her if we agree to go into custody or if we escape without her.

We owe it to her to try, imo.

Nevill

Arcane
To me it feels like these weirdos are gonna kill her.
Not immediately:
“Barely human is still human,” sighs the commander. “By the Council, we may only purge them on site if they have been fully proven to be inhumans.”
Hence why leaving Rain -- or submitting -- might be an option. They must love their trials.

She is out cold. Trying to outrun a bunch of trained adults with a dead weight is commendable, but also futile.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hence why leaving Rain -- or submitting -- might be an option. They must love their trials.
Ugh. I do not have much trust in the Comrade Colonel giving Rain mercy. She's some sort of elf, and that may be reason enough for Señor Torquemada to kill her before we get a chance to do anything. It's a shit situation, man, and I just want her safe.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hmmm. Not surprised by Liz being taken. Not terribly surprised by having the eye destroyed either.
I'm more surprised by the fact than none of these knights have directly targeted Rain yet. When the first knight attacks Wrinkly and destroys the eye he's set upon this taint. And when Rain tries to intervene she's just elbowed into unconsciousness like an afterthought.

Maybe they do not realise she's not entirely human? Maybe her type of creature doesn't "reek of inhuman"?

Not going to leave her. Let's keep Wrinklys resilience a secret. B

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
He makes a dramatic show of coughing, and when he speaks next, he sounds exactly like you do.

“Come with me, Elizabeth.”

Liz stirs, barely conscious, and mutters her approval.
Well, shit. If he wanted us to actually come with him, maybe he should have just done this from the start.

*sigh*

B - play it safe for now.

Wrinkly's low Charisma makes me hesitant to suggest an alternative choice: C - Interrupt them and say that Antonio attacked you like a madman. You, your sister and your friend barely escaped, when you met Antonio and a strange fat man who was also there. The fat man made some sort of mist and Antonio suddenly seemed to believe you were monsters and went mad, attacking you and your friend. The fat man promised to protect you from him, but only if you agreed to go with him. You refused, but your friend, who was delirious from Antonio's stab to her torso accepted. Then the fat man disappeared with your friend. You plead for help in finding the fat man and your friend.

I'll note that we should try not to tell an outright lie. Paladins(?) may detect that sort of thing. I *think* this is all sort of true, just told in a weird way and omitting details.

Again, not sure about this due to low CHA. Basically, we are pinning everything on John Bull, and *implying* he was using some sort of mind control while claiming to be innocent.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Liz-less, eye-less, and are about to begin the training on how to be a Hunter at the hands of some murderous sadists.
Which could have happened in either choice lol. :M

I'll admit, this wasn't the outcome I wanted at all, but that voice mimicry was something I don't recall anyone mentioning as a possibility. I guess I should have foreseen it since he's some kind of shapeshifting monster though.

edit: I initially picked A1, but I'm flopping to B. I agree with ItsChon that if we run, we only worsen our position, and these two are very likely to catch us.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, it's only the lack of Liz that I object to.

Eyepatches only make you more dashing*, and it's common knowledge that giving away bodyparts only make you stronger, so the closer you are to murderous sadists, the better your prospects are for +1 Swords.

Specifically, this Sword.

dfa60e02d51b48b3f9acac4e05614dcb.jpg

*they also lose you stats, but I still have the example of Legend where we overcompensated for our eye loss so much we broke the stat limit. 'Dex is really loath to part with shinies. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
edit: I initially picked A1, but I'm flopping to B. I agree with @ItsChon that if we run, we only worsen our position, and these two are very likely to catch us.
They caught us with the Hound's eye Astra. How much more guilty can we look to them?

Feels like a desperate hope, tbqh. Though I do like Spain and Spaniards in general, so I guess it's a fun story thread to follow.

Kipeci

Arcane
A1

Maybe doggie will come through, we’re dead in the captivity of these guys anyway. Or at least Rain will be.

Absinthe

Arcane
A1

Grats on voting B, guys.

And just to explain this vote: Sure, trying to escape might fail, but not trying at all is guaranteed fail. It's actively surrendering to bad circumstances, and whoever regards this as some kind of test is a cowardly fucking retard. I have no idea what magical superior lapse of guard or serendipitous rescue you are hoping to obtain by sitting quiet but it's not happening. They can't kill us without council approval anyway, and it's not like their attitude towards us can get any fucking worse (we already know they are going to try to force information out of us) plus we have a pretty fucking good and rather obvious reason to explain our escape attempt, given the psycho who tried to murder us just now, so it's not like shit can really get worse. As for our odds of success escaping, we still have our map astra to help us find our way out, and right now their knights are probably still busy and disorganized. We're not going to get a better opportunity than this. (I'm really wishing we had the stealth astra instead of the shield astra about now though.)

Nevill, care to make a ranked preference vote for A1? Also, seriously, even if they don't end up regarding Rain as inhuman, there's a solid chance they'll interrogate Rain if we leave her alone there without us. She is also certain to get investigated more thoroughly if she's the only one they have left, so the odds of her being found an inhuman rise.

EDIT: Amended my vote to A1>A2. Really, anything but B.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I have not made a single ranked vote this CYOA, and am not about to start. Not to mention that I explicitly do not believe in A1 being worth attempting. We are at a disadvantage yet still are trying to hold on to everything.

The context of the choice is important. "Not trying at all" is waiting, biding for time. It is not "a failure to escape", it is refusal to take a half-baked chance.

It is only bad if you believe they will kill us off and that we'll have no more opportunities to get away. Which... you are free to do, but others do not have to. We may be considered human (and harmless) enough to be put on trial, giving us more time. We could be put in jail and play Prison Quest from that point onwards.
yown6ZX.jpg
We might have the Hound return to us with another proposal. The possibilities are many.

If they beat us half-conscious and break our leg for good, then things are going to get complicated as future opportunities will close off.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I have not made a single ranked vote this CYOA, and not about to start. Not to mention that I explicitly do not believe in A1 being worth attempting.
Aight, you do you. In the meantime, I'll be voting A1>A2.

The context of the choice is important. "Not trying at all" is waiting, biding for time. It is not "a failure to escape", it is refusal to take a half-baked chance.
Beggars can't be choosers. Take a risk or get fucked. The idea that by saying no you will get a better opportunity strikes me as some seriously wishful thinking and the unwillingness to take risks in bad situations in favor of doing nothing and hoping you will magically get better options by doing that instead is basically what cowardice is all about. Sure, we can choose to believe in good luck rewarding us with superior opportunities if we stick around or we could believe in ourselves and dare to take chances in dire circumstances. I really don't believe we'll get a better escape opportunity than this, but you do have the option of hoping anyway if you prefer.

It is only bad if you believe they will kill us off and that we'll have no more opportunities to get away. We can be considered human (and harmless) enough to be put on trial, giving us more time. We could be put in jail and play Prison Quest from that point onwards.
That is a failure to escape. You might be interested in that outcome, but it can still end up worse than that, not to mention Prison Quest is virtually guaranteed to remove Rain from our party, which is another failure state. Soft failure if we have the hope of reuniting, hard failure if she dies.

We might have the Hound return to us with another proposal. The possibilities are many.
Why not just vote PRAY and be done with it? The hound is not really interested in us being cowardly bitches looking for handouts though. He's pretty clear on what he's about. John Bull already told us the Hound would not bail us out in our predicament even if he were there, and I'm inclined to suspect he's right. But maybe we'll get lucky and have an option to sell out to the hound, sure.

If they beat us half-conscious and break our leg for good, then things are going to get complicated as future opportunities will close off.
This is a legitimate potential consequence of trying to escape.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
B.

If Rain were conscious I'd give A1 a shot. Things don't look good.

A2 is off the table because (1) going without her is tantamount to handing Rain a death sentence and (2) it's not in Wrinkly's character to abandon family. We made ourselves to endure and to shield. That's what we'll do, until we can't anymore.

Grats on voting B, guys.

What keeps being pounded into me as a newcomer to treave CYOAs is that it's always a shit sandwich. Sometimes you get to bitch at everyone else's bad decisions, and sometimes you get to sit shamefaced as you vote to let Theseus run you through (or kill your eye, fuck that hurts, I thought the Black Eye was cool as hell) :D. I guess the trick (and the testimony to some kind of genius) is that Treave keeps making us come back for more. Everything is just so fucking cool to read, even when you're getting your eye skewered by a Catholic Knight for letting an ancient demon into the world and appearing to consort with malign powers.

Although in the previous case (and I hope any other) I stand by my vote. I thought it was the most consistent with Wrinkly's character so far (not to say the voting polis can't yoink it in another direction over time), and it of course jived with my personal sense of morality.

Punishment for trying to do the right thing is a feature, not a bug.

Absinthe

Arcane
You realize that "consorting with devils" is very much a thing we'll end up guilty of if B leaves us in the clutches of the knights?

Also, some options are a lot worse than others. The feature isn't that we get punished for trying to do the right thing. It's that we get punished for making bad choices. And yeah, that's part of the game and you roll with it, or try to make up for it. Right now our only prize for that B vote is learning that the psycho knight's name is Antonio, which is good, because we'll probably have unfinished business with him.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom