Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Fear and Hunger

Egosphere

Arcane
FEAR & HUNGER

RUN I : Cavarra, Mercenary
Part I: {this post} | Part II: {here} | Part III {here}
RUN II : Cavarra, Mercenary
Part IV : {here}
RUN III : Casca, Knight
PART V : {here}
RUN IV : Casca, Knight

PART 6.1 : {here} | PART 6.2 : {here} | PART 6.3 {here} | PART 6.4 {here} | PART 6.5 AND 6.6 {here} | Part 6.7 {here}
RUN V-VI : Raziel, Barbarian

PART 7 : {here} | PART 7.1 (ENDING E) {here} | PART 7.2 {here} | PART 7.3 {here} | PART 7.4 {here}

In 2016, a lone finngolian stuck in his snow swept yurt decided to start a youtube CYAO, loosely inspired by Kentaro Miura's Berserk manga. It failed, but it led to him mucking about in RPGMaker for two years straight, and at the end he released his first title: Fear and Hunger. The dungeon crawler has become infamous for its violence, debauchery and other shenanigans, so I figured an LP would fit right in. Let's get started.

Actually, before we begin, I will admit that I've had about a dozen attempts at this game, all ending prematurely without any significant progress. I'm aware of how to navigate the opening stage, what tricks to employ against the first two types of enemies, and what the Pinecone Pig is. I've also spoiled some of the endings for myself, but I'm oblivious on how to reach any particular one.

Let's begin, for real this time.

PART I : A STAB IN THE DARK
ywrkczjb_o.png

The opening throws us into the main menu, full of gloomy artwork complementing the strange, disconcerting theme. Give it a couple of seconds to start up.

We choose New Game, and are given the class selection screen, of which there are four in total. Mercenary, Knight, Priest and Outlander (Barbarian).

dPwn1i1I_o.png

V8NBvuaB_o.png

EjMJkaza_o.png

qCC4qTxs_o.png

We go for the first option on offer, taking the name Cavarra, and proceed. The game gives us a stern warning and then asks for the difficulty setting. We're complete soy so we go for the easiest difficulty level (which ain't at all easy, as you shall see).

eSMMMT5F_o.png

bBgAl3fU_o.png

And soon we are given the introduction. Our protagonist stands in sight of a derelict fortress, the dungeon of Fear and Hunger. Soon we will have to brave its depths, but first we must clarify some of our backstory.

vbwy6qrJ_o.png

I have absolutely no clue what the soul of the endless means or what it's supposed to do in-game. Perhaps we'll find out as we go along.

3Ss7Yh3a_o.png

JMb1PGEH_o.png

The game is already licking its lips at the prospect of fucking with us. The choices at the start matter, and they matter quite a bit, since the wrong choices will leave your character shy of several invaluable skills. I go for burglary, which leads us to learning a new skill:

3P9zcSNN_o.png

3oBE0I2m_o.png

CssEYURV_o.png

Had we gone for an honourable life, we wouldn't have learned it.
Next comes our choice in a losing battle. Were we honourable, or were we cowardly? We were cowardly, because honour does not pay. And so we learn another skill, Escape Plan.

yxE1mwEM_o.png

f695s3Vl_o.png

ty205xLq_o.png

The game is signalling to us to RUN if we feel that a fight cannot be won, in a very roundabout way. Cutting your losses loose is the best choice; the alternative is a quick death.

CNsJwKZf_o.png

Knife.. dirty.. i hope that's not a euphemism.
Anyhow,

9RDbo1sz_o.png

8qN7ZhCn_o.png

FzLzS3HF_o.png

The mercenary company in question would be the Band of the Hawk, given the similarities that their leader (cutting his hand off in the main menu) bears to Griffith, but I digress. The mission is indeed a strange one. Could they not send in their own troops and pull him out? We'll worry about that later. Here comes our most important choice yet.

dEwvzCFr_o.png

It's bait. The game is offering usvaluable supplies on a silver platter with one hand, but it's holding the golden platter behind its back with the other. We abnegate all those valuable supplies and rush to our job, and..

vGa2iNm3_o.png

Cool. Dashing means we now get a significant boost to movement speed, allowing us to outrun enemies. Without it, we would be caught and forced into combat several times per map, each of which would have a non-trivial chance of ending us.
With all that out of the way, we can finally start the game. We find ourselves in a clearing surrounded by fog, with the rockbed giving way to wilted grasses. A dead horse lies to our left, a feast for maggots and crows. Interacting with objects presents us with several different options. They are determined by our skills. We can beat a dead horse :))), investigate it or leave. Investigate = loot, if there is any. Behind us comes the sound of barking. We pay no heed to the barking and scour the area, interacting with the barrels and the crates to find some loot. Meat, carrots, a stick and a pinecone. Hmm, pinecone...

msMzaGRj_o.png

WRa3KXLC_o.png

J5Rbz5gi_o.png

X1hhbYIU_o.png

gCaZyywV_o.png

JOjD9SGH_o.png

W0dZacFx_o.png

20KGs2LU_o.png

IJOjNSlT_o.png

Suddenly we hear the barking again, and the sound of panting. We decide not to linger. The dead horse might be of interest to a hungry dog, but I'm not sure they won't see me as the tastier treat.

kbsynB8K_o.png

We take a deep breath and enter the dungeon. Darkest Dungeon lied to us: this is a lot darker. So dark, in fact, that our sanity metre begins to slip from the moment we enter, and will continue to drip away unless we find a good light source or go back outside. Immediately to our right is a desk with some papers. We shuffle through the pages: the ramblings of a madman.

vCQkiLi9_o.png

kaGGjqvS_o.png

dfefUSo8_o.png

WXwxH4g9_o.png

hkkVPbaN_o.png

Cringe

xhovGA1Q_o.png

I7hn1eQC_o.png

9rLYkfTS_o.png

Unfortunately, the dogs are probably outside by now so we are stuck here and the only way is forward. Avance! Underneath the scattered pages we stumble upon a book. The book of fears rattles off every known fear known to this world.

gjsXiQRW_o.png

Pn8r1age_o.png
yt514NAh_o.png
URL]

cyrgn58Q_o.png

:shredder:
And once we go into the character menu, we see that we have..

Ru7wnnun_o.png

Fear of ghosts! Unfortunately, every run is going to be blessed with one phobia as far as I know. These fears will negatively impact your stats when you fight certain types of enemies, but they won't prevent you from fighting. We also have a quick look at our equipment and everything we've collected so far.

78vyPdYT_o.png

6Y0y2N0O_o.png

2 coins and 3 torches. Not great, not terrible. We strike one torch to light up the area and prevent the enemies from getting the drop on us in the darkness. Even with dash, I don't trust my reactions to prevail. Where now? To our left is a door, and I decide to try it.

IScysvwf_o.png

It opens with a creak.

12DB1aMm_o.png

A strange scene greets us. To our right, in the corner of the room, a monstrous humanoid thing sways in the liminal stretch of my torch's light. Either its eyesight is poor or its mind is addled, because our presence does not register. To our left is a cage, with a child trapped inside. A red haired girl sits sobbing softly behind the metal bars.

TiykUiD5_o.png

Fortunately I know lockpicking. Quietly, the lock comes loose, and the girl creeps out of the cage. Without a further word she falls in line behind me, becoming a follower. Our first companion!

p269mt0s_o.png

NFHzKzt6_o.png

j1fTMHyG_o.png

Slowly we creep to the table, our arm at the ready to draw our scimitar at first sight of trouble from the monstrous figure. However, he remains placated and we nab some papers from the desk. Some tinderboxes fall into our hand as well as we're caressing the tabletop. Without wasting any time on reading them, we turn about and flee the room.

at55LZ0r_o.png

8S0uDeo7_o.png

Back in the hallway, we light some of the wall torches with our newfound tinderbox, giving us minor reprieve from the oppression of the darkness.

ymGB0PQg_o.png

Where to now? Forward, or northward, to be precise. The girl diligently follows us without murmuring a single word. Perhaps she's a mute.
Here we stumble upon a small library. Several bookcases covered with cobwebs and smattered with rat droppings offer us knowledge, but in order to attain it we'll have to grapple with this game's most divisive mechanic:

FxMVPblc_o.png

sKNDaBXJ_o.png

Finding the good stuff is a literal coin toss. IF you hold down Shift when tossing the coin, you'll toss 2, cutting the chance of failure to 1/4. The 2nd coin is drawn from your pool of expendable lucky coins, so it is a very limited resource. You think to yourself, "huh, that's a pretty bold design choice". Yeah, it is, but it's also the mechanic for saving the game...

Anyways, HEADS.

0RRswpBM_o.png

I win :dance:

vjTX5bMt_o.png

A big book! With pictures! Alas, this will have to wait till Part 2.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Many interesting ideas in this game, but I think it ends up trying way too hard to be edgy/dark in a teenage goth sort of way. Also the blatant Dark Souls inspired way of writing dialogue doesn't help it.
Still, this is worth watching, so I'm interested in seeing if you can pull this off to its conclusion without giving up on it.

Egosphere

Arcane
Many interesting ideas in this game, but I think it ends up trying way too hard to be edgy/dark in a teenage goth sort of way. Also the blatant Dark Souls inspired way of writing dialogue doesn't help it.
Still, this is worth watching, so I'm interested in seeing if you can pull this off to its conclusion without giving up on it.
Yeah, I agree with the Souls comparison. Obfuscating the worldbuilding elements in a game with a very steep difficulty curve worked for Souls, but has not been replicated successfully anywhere else.

Endemic

Arcane
The text makes it seem more edgy than it actually is so far, but I guess it's still early in the game so who knows.

Egosphere

Arcane
The girl is a Casca stand-in then?

Anyway, I look forward to part 3 :)
Think the knight is the closest to a Casca stand in, being smitten with the Griffith stand in. Interestingly enough, all four of the classes are characters in the game whose stories are happening simultaneously with yours.

Egosphere

Arcane
Are the other backgrounds just plain worse? No useful skills?
I've only played as two: Merc and Outlander. They overlap, but also differ somewhat. Outlander can learn a skill that lets him cannibalize dead enemies, which removes the hunger mechanic from the game almost completely. I know that the Dark Priest is capable of resurrecting the dead, so he can get himself disposable meat shields. Not sure about the knight. They are all very much viable. There's also a place somewhere in the game where you can learn a lot of other skills related to combat, but I haven't found it yet.

Given that we will be dying very often, we may cycle through different characters after a few runs on each.

Endemic

Arcane
No, I mean the background information you choose after the class (pickpocket/burglar/honest etc).

Egosphere

Arcane
No, I mean the background information you choose after the class (pickpocket/burglar/honest etc).
I think honest gives you nothing. Pickpocket allows you to steal some items off the enemy afaik, but I don't know how valuable it is. Some enemies have unique items which you cannot attain otherwise, but overall for the early game I think lockpicking is by far the biggest boon. You can bash down doors, but you need a high damage output, because you get only one attack and if you don't deal enough damage then you have to leave and reenter the map to 'fight' the door once again.
Fighting the losing battle either gives nothing, or something bad if I recall correctly. The wrong choice and unlucky coin in the outlander class can bless you with panphobia, which reduces your stats in every combat encounter, for example.

Endemic

Arcane
That's a shame. I was thinking the "honest" background could give a slight buff to primary stats or something. Not even a bit of extra dialogue with silent girl here?

Egosphere

Arcane
That's a shame. I was thinking the "honest" background could give a slight buff to primary stats or something. Not even a bit of extra dialogue with silent girl here?

Hmm, not sure, could try it on the next run, although the maps are randomized and it might take a little longer to find her. My experience with the game is really not all that extensive.
You are gonna need a Mage BADLY I would assume, right?
Wdym?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Hmm, not sure, could try it on the next run, although the maps are randomized and it might take a little longer to find her. My experience with the game is really not all that extensive.
Wdym?
What I meant is that the game has spellcasting, no? You are gonna needs some spells, probably?

Egosphere

Arcane

Wdym?
What I meant is that the game has spellcasting, no? You are gonna needs some spells, probably?
Ah, not sure, I think you can learn certain spells even without playing the priest. The game has a god affiliation mechanic, whereby doing certain things to please a certain deity will unlock the skill tree for your character. The farthest I ever got was a good run with the outlander, with a visit to the city, good armour and then the '3rd' level with the girl in the party. But I have overwritten that save file.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
You can certainly learn spells, Le'garde, the girl and the Priest have spells on my save in the golden city. Isn't that just finding scrolls?

I somehow really can't remember much of the game, even with it's painful slowness and wierdness which i like.

EDIT: Nah it was souls and the gods shrines, right? damn has been long.

Egosphere

Arcane
You can certainly learn spells, Le'garde, the girl and the Priest have spells on my save in the golden city. Isn't that just finding scrolls?

I somehow really can't remember much of the game, even with it's painful slowness and wierdness which i like.

I saw in a youtube video that you can find some sort of altar place where you can learn new skills, some of which I think are spells. Think they use up soulstones. You can also use the built in cheats with the O LORD TEACH ME .. if you have a quill and a scroll

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

I saw in a youtube video that you can find some sort of altar place where you can learn new skills, some of which I think are spells. Think they use up soulstones. You can also use the built in cheats with the O LORD TEACH ME .. if you have a quill and a scroll

Yeah right, it's not even far off in the beginning area where the courtyard is it's called the Hexen.

fear.png

Seriously I'm no big help, the memory of this game is really fuzzy, go ahead and show us your suffering then :D

lightbane

Arcane
Ah, this game. I still have to play it, but it's indeed RPGMaker Berserk, Offbrand edition. The Nocommentary Youtube channel pretty much is a prime guide for both games.
Both games have lots of content that is impossible to unlock during a normal playthrough due to the very strict requirements it has.

Egosphere

Arcane
PART II : The Stinger Pulsates

We peruse the tome of alchemy to find some interesting tidbits on the properties of various herbs. To sum up: blue for health, green for dealing with infections, red for .. something. It also includes recipes for combining the various herbs into more potent substances. I'm chagrined in the lack of black + yellow combo. HGH + whey sounds pretty cool.

cenoBRJS_o.png

bnZxb2Ee_o.png

DwKduacM_o.png

KiF3Q1XQ_o.png

BsJS5hA7_o.png

hr7ku6If_o.png

2FrwajSG_o.png

In the next bookcase we find the lovely tome on Pocketcat. I can't grab the pic quickly enough before the text appears, but you can still see his sketched mug moonlighting above the words.

FAHK4aPG_o.png

ByWOT1fo_o.png

W5B0yXIV_o.png

RfYAJMjq_o.png

apYLqOJo_o.png

Merwood

GSvQXUhu_o.png

e1wnqBHm_o.png

fdcN5MqR_o.png

Is Willem really tall or is his father a giga manlet?

eWIEQSZq_o.png

1Wb47Eck_o.png

pyKbaNPN_o.png

iGyyvJSw_o.png

gMdWZrt8_o.png

XxfUa0YR_o.png

GdBQ64HT_o.png

SIIb8dYT_o.png

RXffpoPp_o.png

JqaVPxi7_o.png

W32QGOST_o.png

There are cats jacking off in the grottos. What is the world coming to. Deeply disturbed by this cat, we rummage through the rest of the bookcases. We fail a coin toss on one, in the other we find a fake book. This is for poseurs who don't read but what to pretend that they do. For shame.

9ZSPYbgX_o.png

AE7DVHEG_o.png

POZYbvjN_o.png

"Death is the answer". Step aside Tony Robbins, truly inspirational stuff.

F2DIpOF6_o.png

Back outside the library we find some statues dedicated to the New Gods, of which there are four. They're lined up neatly, and maybe the craftsmanship of the sculptor would have been much more impressive had his work not been marred with bloodstains. Somebody even went to the trouble of writing stuff in their own blood. One of those tropes that I have always found very weird.

eFsAgN5N_o.png

UHMOqOZo_o.png

I dive back into my inventory and realize we have found a cloth hood, which we use to swaddle our head. Not sure what protection it's supposed to offer, but number go up and number green so I'm happy.
MArpDafa_o.png

Around the corner is a collapsed passage, with the debris being impassable.

QMKj7tWI_o.png

The crates nearby again have some health potions, these ones being pretty weak, healing us for ~25-30 points.

aNqtbnfN_o.png

The next crate has a bonesaw, which cannot be wielded as a weapon (but can act as a medical instrument when the situation is truly dire)

BSwWLnXo_o.png

We lockpick another door and make our way into a small storage room, where we find another leather vest which we promptly give to the girl.
QVx6IkEF_o.png

XZsooYbb_o.png

And then we return outside. With the camera being what it is, we spot an enemy shuffling up and down a nearby hallway. My position is not great, and he spots us peeking from around the corner. He rushes at us, and before we know it we have our very first combat sequence. Prepare yourself!

H7hkQ8kV_o.png

Yup, this guy has been on a HGH cycle for quite a while it seems.

qOjqovuW_o.png

Ok, so, combat...
Each combat encounter in the game is a mini-puzzle, which involves trial and error and which will not hesitate to end your run in a very brutal manner if you can't guess its quirks. Each enemy will have bodyparts that can be targeted individually. In the case of this guard, he has two arms, two legs, torso, head and the 'stinger'. The way to kill an enemy is either to destroy the torso, or cut off the head. The latter might not work against some types of enemies, making you waste turns on actions which are useless. Cutting off the limbs will curtail the damage output of most enemy types. However, every several turns (and these have to be sussed out through trial and error) the enemy can do a coin flip attack. To avoid it you must Guard on that turn. If you don't, the outcome is a literal coin flip - lose it and 99% of the time it's a one hit kill.

ro8Od5ai_o.png

bxsdEjxk_o.png

cUEwVftD_o.png

The meat cleaver looks like a menacing instrument, so we hack off the guard's arm. The girl has no weapons and her damage output is 0, for now at least.

aCF4Jzn8_o.png

Now, having lost to these guys quite a few times, I know the coin flip cycle: on the 2nd turn, then on every 3rd turn thereafter. Now we both use our guard skill. The ogre tries to snatch us, but fails.

gvTJdr7s_o.png

tEmYzpmC_o.png

Now what do we do? The clue was in the text message - the pulsating stinger. He can use that thing to attack us. If we cut off the stinger AND leave the other arm alone, the ogre will forego all attacks in favour of trying to snatch us every 3rd turn with the coin flip. If we cut off both, then he'll use body slam to deal damage to us. So we go for the stinger and hack it off. Eww.

5rY6bdjV_o.png

Now we have 2 turns left till the coin flip. From here on out the fight is a cakewalk, we can either hack away at the torso, or try and go for the head, but with a much higher % of missing. What we can do is use the two turns to hack away at each of his legs, which will make him lose balance and expose the head. Then we guard against he grab attack, and finally kill him on the next turn with a decapitation.

KCNOQYGk_o.png

y8Wu1CRI_o.png

Phew. Well, one down, dozens (hundreds?) to go. And each type will require us to figure out the unique patterns. We can beat the corpse, which makes a squishy noise but does nothing otherwise, search it or leave. This one has an interesting artifact on him.

2PvOCil5_o.png

XC8k0WR5_o.png

The passage he was guarding leads us to a small dark room, with a ritual circle hastily scribbled on the floor. A lectern stands in the corner, giving us more clues on the deities.

uhpH5tvn_o.png

7lQFdDcN_o.png

lQcsnfbu_o.png

Note that these are the Old Gods, and there are only three. The four statues were dedicated to the new ones.

9KRHdCRw_o.png

5w3ynpFK_o.png

M3HBso16_o.png

Ok I'll just stand in the circle and pray to Allmer. Not a fan of worshipping Khorne or Slaanesh. Plus, Allmer doesn't actually require anything from us. We get a little beep sound to signify that our affiliation with a God has increased. And so we turn around and leave.

ppcRE43z_o.png

But we are not long back in the main hall before something rushes us from the east. A ghoul.

a2KrIEsJ_o.png

A dangerous fight, but once again I am lucky to know the trick, which is to NOT fight and instead talk. Trash talk him. Tell him he's going to die, which turns out is exactly what he wants.

3LJRDQAZ_o.png

He lowers his arms and we stab him through the heart, killing the poor bastard on the spot. He has no loot on him. Not surprising, he was after all an escaped prisoner.

yXL0uNOz_o.png

NlTEtfs9_o.png

A small refectory is the room beyond, and we pilfer some rotten meat from the table, brushing away the maggots that try to crawl up our arm. A closed door stands on the other side. We push upon the creaking sheets of metal and step outside, back where we can replenish our Vitamin D.

ysumGLVi_o.png

meixe0yf_o.png

Qx7gbviT_o.png

vL49qghC_o.png

And yet the air here reeks of death and despair. Join me in part 3, where the suffering begins.

lightbane

Arcane
Ok I'll just stand in the circle and pray to Allmer. Not a fan of worshipping Khorne or Slaanesh. Plus, Allmer doesn't actually require anything from us. We get a little beep sound to signify that our affiliation with a God has increased. And so we turn around and leave.
Fun fact: You can do the "Show love" action with party members, but it's not what you expect (save your game first!). Trying to do this with the little girl hilariously results in an instant game over, as offbrand Slaanesh IS NOT fond of pedobears.

Endemic

Arcane
Wouldn't Venus be a better comparison, since it said fertility goddess? :P

Minor point, but I noticed a typo in the second combat encounter "uncomformtable".

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Fun fact: You can do the "Show love" action with party members, but it's not what you expect (save your game first!). Trying to do this with the little girl hilariously results in an instant game over, as offbrand Slaanesh IS NOT fond of pedobears.
You should do this only in a situation where your run is shaping up to be a loosing proposition with harshly maimed chars though. It can save your hid in that situation though.

Wouldn't Venus be a better comparison, since it said fertility goddess? :P

Minor point, but I noticed a typo in the second combat encounter "uncomformtable".

Well... no. It's way more slaanesh than Venus. Nothing is "nice" in this game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
PART II : The Stinger Pulsates

We peruse the tome of alchemy to find some interesting tidbits on the properties of various herbs. To sum up: blue for health, green for dealing with infections, red for .. something. It also includes recipes for combining the various herbs into more potent substances. I'm chagrined in the lack of black + yellow combo. HGH + whey sounds pretty cool.

cenoBRJS_o.png

bnZxb2Ee_o.png

DwKduacM_o.png

KiF3Q1XQ_o.png

BsJS5hA7_o.png

hr7ku6If_o.png

2FrwajSG_o.png

In the next bookcase we find the lovely tome on Pocketcat. I can't grab the pic quickly enough before the text appears, but you can still see his sketched mug moonlighting above the words.

FAHK4aPG_o.png

ByWOT1fo_o.png

W5B0yXIV_o.png

RfYAJMjq_o.png

apYLqOJo_o.png

Merwood

GSvQXUhu_o.png

e1wnqBHm_o.png

fdcN5MqR_o.png

Is Willem really tall or is his father a giga manlet?

eWIEQSZq_o.png

1Wb47Eck_o.png

pyKbaNPN_o.png

iGyyvJSw_o.png

gMdWZrt8_o.png

XxfUa0YR_o.png

GdBQ64HT_o.png

SIIb8dYT_o.png

RXffpoPp_o.png

JqaVPxi7_o.png

W32QGOST_o.png

There are cats jacking off in the grottos. What is the world coming to. Deeply disturbed by this cat, we rummage through the rest of the bookcases. We fail a coin toss on one, in the other we find a fake book. This is for poseurs who don't read but what to pretend that they do. For shame.

9ZSPYbgX_o.png

AE7DVHEG_o.png

POZYbvjN_o.png

"Death is the answer". Step aside Tony Robbins, truly inspirational stuff.

F2DIpOF6_o.png

Back outside the library we find some statues dedicated to the New Gods, of which there are four. They're lined up neatly, and maybe the craftsmanship of the sculptor would have been much more impressive had his work not been marred with bloodstains. Somebody even went to the trouble of writing stuff in their own blood. One of those tropes that I have always found very weird.

eFsAgN5N_o.png

UHMOqOZo_o.png

I dive back into my inventory and realize we have found a cloth hood, which we use to swaddle our head. Not sure what protection it's supposed to offer, but number go up and number green so I'm happy.
MArpDafa_o.png

Around the corner is a collapsed passage, with the debris being impassable.

QMKj7tWI_o.png

The crates nearby again have some health potions, these ones being pretty weak, healing us for ~25-30 points.

aNqtbnfN_o.png

The next crate has a bonesaw, which cannot be wielded as a weapon (but can act as a medical instrument when the situation is truly dire)

BSwWLnXo_o.png

We lockpick another door and make our way into a small storage room, where we find another leather vest which we promptly give to the girl.
QVx6IkEF_o.png

XZsooYbb_o.png

And then we return outside. With the camera being what it is, we spot an enemy shuffling up and down a nearby hallway. My position is not great, and he spots us peeking from around the corner. He rushes at us, and before we know it we have our very first combat sequence. Prepare yourself!

H7hkQ8kV_o.png

Yup, this guy has been on a HGH cycle for quite a while it seems.

qOjqovuW_o.png

Ok, so, combat...
Each combat encounter in the game is a mini-puzzle, which involves trial and error and which will not hesitate to end your run in a very brutal manner if you can't guess its quirks. Each enemy will have bodyparts that can be targeted individually. In the case of this guard, he has two arms, two legs, torso, head and the 'stinger'. The way to kill an enemy is either to destroy the torso, or cut off the head. The latter might not work against some types of enemies, making you waste turns on actions which are useless. Cutting off the limbs will curtail the damage output of most enemy types. However, every several turns (and these have to be sussed out through trial and error) the enemy can do a coin flip attack. To avoid it you must Guard on that turn. If you don't, the outcome is a literal coin flip - lose it and 99% of the time it's a one hit kill.

ro8Od5ai_o.png

bxsdEjxk_o.png

cUEwVftD_o.png

The meat cleaver looks like a menacing instrument, so we hack off the guard's arm. The girl has no weapons and her damage output is 0, for now at least.

aCF4Jzn8_o.png

Now, having lost to these guys quite a few times, I know the coin flip cycle: on the 2nd turn, then on every 3rd turn thereafter. Now we both use our guard skill. The ogre tries to snatch us, but fails.

gvTJdr7s_o.png

tEmYzpmC_o.png

Now what do we do? The clue was in the text message - the pulsating stinger. He can use that thing to attack us. If we cut off the stinger AND leave the other arm alone, the ogre will forego all attacks in favour of trying to snatch us every 3rd turn with the coin flip. If we cut off both, then he'll use body slam to deal damage to us. So we go for the stinger and hack it off. Eww.

5rY6bdjV_o.png

Now we have 2 turns left till the coin flip. From here on out the fight is a cakewalk, we can either hack away at the torso, or try and go for the head, but with a much higher % of missing. What we can do is use the two turns to hack away at each of his legs, which will make him lose balance and expose the head. Then we guard against he grab attack, and finally kill him on the next turn with a decapitation.

KCNOQYGk_o.png

y8Wu1CRI_o.png

Phew. Well, one down, dozens (hundreds?) to go. And each type will require us to figure out the unique patterns. We can beat the corpse, which makes a squishy noise but does nothing otherwise, search it or leave. This one has an interesting artifact on him.

2PvOCil5_o.png

XC8k0WR5_o.png

The passage he was guarding leads us to a small dark room, with a ritual circle hastily scribbled on the floor. A lectern stands in the corner, giving us more clues on the deities.

uhpH5tvn_o.png

7lQFdDcN_o.png

lQcsnfbu_o.png

Note that these are the Old Gods, and there are only three. The four statues were dedicated to the new ones.

9KRHdCRw_o.png

5w3ynpFK_o.png

M3HBso16_o.png

ppcRE43z_o.png

But we are not long back in the main hall before something rushes us from the east. A ghoul.

a2KrIEsJ_o.png

A dangerous fight, but once again I am lucky to know the trick, which is to NOT fight and instead talk. Trash talk him. Tell him he's going to die, which turns out is exactly what he wants.

3LJRDQAZ_o.png

He lowers his arms and we stab him through the heart, killing the poor bastard on the spot. He has no loot on him. Not surprising, he was after all an escaped prisoner.

yXL0uNOz_o.png

NlTEtfs9_o.png

A small refectory is the room beyond, and we pilfer some rotten meat from the table, brushing away the maggots that try to crawl up our arm. A closed door stands on the other side. We push upon the creaking sheets of metal and step outside, back where we can replenish our Vitamin D.

ysumGLVi_o.png

meixe0yf_o.png

Qx7gbviT_o.png

vL49qghC_o.png

And yet the air here reeks of death and despair. Join me in part 3, where the suffering begins.
Let me guess, on that sacrificial altar you can kill the girl (for Gro-goroth) or fuck her to gain Sylvian's favor?
Such nice deities!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom