Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Fear and Hunger

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Let me guess, on that sacrificial altar you can kill the girl (for Gro-goroth) or fuck her to gain Sylvian's favor?
Such nice deities!

As lightbane pointed out, trying to uhhh make the love ritual with the girl ends in a premature Bad end.

Egosphere

Arcane
Wouldn't Venus be a better comparison, since it said fertility goddess? :P

Minor point, but I noticed a typo in the second combat encounter "uncomformtable".

In the first encounter we have the awkwardly worded you manage evading its grasp! as well. The dev is ESL. I think this was also partially the reason why the descriptions and the books are the way they are.

Egosphere

Arcane
PART II : The Stinger Pulsates

We peruse the tome of alchemy to find some interesting tidbits on the properties of various herbs. To sum up: blue for health, green for dealing with infections, red for .. something. It also includes recipes for combining the various herbs into more potent substances. I'm chagrined in the lack of black + yellow combo. HGH + whey sounds pretty cool.

cenoBRJS_o.png

bnZxb2Ee_o.png

DwKduacM_o.png

KiF3Q1XQ_o.png

BsJS5hA7_o.png

hr7ku6If_o.png

2FrwajSG_o.png

In the next bookcase we find the lovely tome on Pocketcat. I can't grab the pic quickly enough before the text appears, but you can still see his sketched mug moonlighting above the words.

FAHK4aPG_o.png

ByWOT1fo_o.png

W5B0yXIV_o.png

RfYAJMjq_o.png

apYLqOJo_o.png

Merwood

GSvQXUhu_o.png

e1wnqBHm_o.png

fdcN5MqR_o.png

Is Willem really tall or is his father a giga manlet?

eWIEQSZq_o.png

1Wb47Eck_o.png

pyKbaNPN_o.png

iGyyvJSw_o.png

gMdWZrt8_o.png

XxfUa0YR_o.png

GdBQ64HT_o.png

SIIb8dYT_o.png

RXffpoPp_o.png

JqaVPxi7_o.png

W32QGOST_o.png

There are cats jacking off in the grottos. What is the world coming to. Deeply disturbed by this cat, we rummage through the rest of the bookcases. We fail a coin toss on one, in the other we find a fake book. This is for poseurs who don't read but what to pretend that they do. For shame.

9ZSPYbgX_o.png

AE7DVHEG_o.png

POZYbvjN_o.png

"Death is the answer". Step aside Tony Robbins, truly inspirational stuff.

F2DIpOF6_o.png

Back outside the library we find some statues dedicated to the New Gods, of which there are four. They're lined up neatly, and maybe the craftsmanship of the sculptor would have been much more impressive had his work not been marred with bloodstains. Somebody even went to the trouble of writing stuff in their own blood. One of those tropes that I have always found very weird.

eFsAgN5N_o.png

UHMOqOZo_o.png

I dive back into my inventory and realize we have found a cloth hood, which we use to swaddle our head. Not sure what protection it's supposed to offer, but number go up and number green so I'm happy.
MArpDafa_o.png

Around the corner is a collapsed passage, with the debris being impassable.

QMKj7tWI_o.png

The crates nearby again have some health potions, these ones being pretty weak, healing us for ~25-30 points.

aNqtbnfN_o.png

The next crate has a bonesaw, which cannot be wielded as a weapon (but can act as a medical instrument when the situation is truly dire)

BSwWLnXo_o.png

We lockpick another door and make our way into a small storage room, where we find another leather vest which we promptly give to the girl.
QVx6IkEF_o.png

XZsooYbb_o.png

And then we return outside. With the camera being what it is, we spot an enemy shuffling up and down a nearby hallway. My position is not great, and he spots us peeking from around the corner. He rushes at us, and before we know it we have our very first combat sequence. Prepare yourself!

H7hkQ8kV_o.png

Yup, this guy has been on a HGH cycle for quite a while it seems.

qOjqovuW_o.png

Ok, so, combat...
Each combat encounter in the game is a mini-puzzle, which involves trial and error and which will not hesitate to end your run in a very brutal manner if you can't guess its quirks. Each enemy will have bodyparts that can be targeted individually. In the case of this guard, he has two arms, two legs, torso, head and the 'stinger'. The way to kill an enemy is either to destroy the torso, or cut off the head. The latter might not work against some types of enemies, making you waste turns on actions which are useless. Cutting off the limbs will curtail the damage output of most enemy types. However, every several turns (and these have to be sussed out through trial and error) the enemy can do a coin flip attack. To avoid it you must Guard on that turn. If you don't, the outcome is a literal coin flip - lose it and 99% of the time it's a one hit kill.

ro8Od5ai_o.png

bxsdEjxk_o.png

cUEwVftD_o.png

The meat cleaver looks like a menacing instrument, so we hack off the guard's arm. The girl has no weapons and her damage output is 0, for now at least.

aCF4Jzn8_o.png

Now, having lost to these guys quite a few times, I know the coin flip cycle: on the 2nd turn, then on every 3rd turn thereafter. Now we both use our guard skill. The ogre tries to snatch us, but fails.

gvTJdr7s_o.png

tEmYzpmC_o.png

Now what do we do? The clue was in the text message - the pulsating stinger. He can use that thing to attack us. If we cut off the stinger AND leave the other arm alone, the ogre will forego all attacks in favour of trying to snatch us every 3rd turn with the coin flip. If we cut off both, then he'll use body slam to deal damage to us. So we go for the stinger and hack it off. Eww.

5rY6bdjV_o.png

Now we have 2 turns left till the coin flip. From here on out the fight is a cakewalk, we can either hack away at the torso, or try and go for the head, but with a much higher % of missing. What we can do is use the two turns to hack away at each of his legs, which will make him lose balance and expose the head. Then we guard against he grab attack, and finally kill him on the next turn with a decapitation.

KCNOQYGk_o.png

y8Wu1CRI_o.png

Phew. Well, one down, dozens (hundreds?) to go. And each type will require us to figure out the unique patterns. We can beat the corpse, which makes a squishy noise but does nothing otherwise, search it or leave. This one has an interesting artifact on him.

2PvOCil5_o.png

XC8k0WR5_o.png

The passage he was guarding leads us to a small dark room, with a ritual circle hastily scribbled on the floor. A lectern stands in the corner, giving us more clues on the deities.

uhpH5tvn_o.png

7lQFdDcN_o.png

lQcsnfbu_o.png

Note that these are the Old Gods, and there are only three. The four statues were dedicated to the new ones.

9KRHdCRw_o.png

5w3ynpFK_o.png

M3HBso16_o.png

Ok I'll just stand in the circle and pray to Allmer. Not a fan of worshipping Khorne or Slaanesh. Plus, Allmer doesn't actually require anything from us. We get a little beep sound to signify that our affiliation with a God has increased. And so we turn around and leave.

ppcRE43z_o.png

But we are not long back in the main hall before something rushes us from the east. A ghoul.

a2KrIEsJ_o.png

A dangerous fight, but once again I am lucky to know the trick, which is to NOT fight and instead talk. Trash talk him. Tell him he's going to die, which turns out is exactly what he wants.

3LJRDQAZ_o.png

He lowers his arms and we stab him through the heart, killing the poor bastard on the spot. He has no loot on him. Not surprising, he was after all an escaped prisoner.

yXL0uNOz_o.png

NlTEtfs9_o.png

A small refectory is the room beyond, and we pilfer some rotten meat from the table, brushing away the maggots that try to crawl up our arm. A closed door stands on the other side. We push upon the creaking sheets of metal and step outside, back where we can replenish our Vitamin D.

ysumGLVi_o.png

meixe0yf_o.png

Qx7gbviT_o.png

vL49qghC_o.png

And yet the air here reeks of death and despair. Join me in part 3, where the suffering begins.
Let me guess, on that sacrificial altar you can kill the girl (for Gro-goroth) or fuck her to gain Sylvian's favor?
Such nice deities!
I thought the same and did not want to test either of those. Good to know that the 2nd one is not an option after all.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC, from what I read the Old Gods are surprisingly chill and it's possible to max out their "favor meters" with all of them, which will bring you bonuses of all kinds. Of course, in order to do that you'll have to do unethical actions.

Much more polished, set in the early 20th Century IIRC, and with characters that look straight out of Jojo Bizarre (the later is intentional, the dev stated he likes that show).

Endemic

Arcane
I thought the same and did not want to test either of those. Good to know that the 2nd one is not an option after all.

That was changed from the demo, she just refuses. Given Sylvian's idea of "marriage" I can see why :P

In the first encounter we have the awkwardly worded you manage evading its grasp! as well. The dev is ESL. I think this was also partially the reason why the descriptions and the books are the way they are.

Not a big deal, just that I figured beta testers would catch those.

Egosphere

Arcane
IIRC, from what I read the Old Gods are surprisingly chill and it's possible to max out their "favor meters" with all of them, which will bring you bonuses of all kinds. Of course, in order to do that you'll have to do unethical actions.

Much more polished, set in the early 20th Century IIRC, and with characters that look straight out of Jojo Bizarre (the later is intentional, the dev stated he likes that show).
They're all like Gravelord Nito from Dark Souls. He's chill, until he isn't.

Endemic

Arcane
At a glance the curse reminds me of Silent Hill (as do a few of the monster designs).

Egosphere

Arcane
At a glance the curse reminds me of Silent Hill (as do a few of the monster designs).
Yeah, its another one of the big inspirations. Berserk + Silent Hill + Dark Souls is probably the most apt comparison. Pyramid head is in this in all but name.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
One of my favourite games. I avoided it for a long time because I thought it seemed like the kind of a thing only a perverted freak would make, and I thought the subject matter would be too upsetting, but I gave it a chance and it was actually done well. It's edgy yeah but all the graphic content is presented in a really matter-of-fact way, without any titillation or emphasis, and without being coy. It never feels shocking which I find impressive, and I think there's value in presenting the player with something fucked up in a really neutral manner and just letting it happen while the player reflects. I find it artistic in a way, the psychological processes that go through my head while playing. I look forward to the LP

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
People that I like told me only incredible things about the series and already bought them. After my BG3 playtrus, I'm giving Fear and Hunger 2 a proper look before jumping in the Starfield hype train.

A friend told me it's alright to start immediately with the sequel. What do you think? Should I skip, for the moment, the first one, or is it important to play it before digging the sequel?

PS: if I like the sequel fairly enuff, I'm playing the original anyways.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
A friend told me it's alright to start immediately with the sequel. What do you think? Should I skip, for the moment, the first one, or is it important to play it before digging the sequel?
You can start with either, the sequel just has references to the first

Egosphere

Arcane
PART III : Basement

We find ourselves outside, where the spores of the mist assail our lungs. Or so the game pretends, anyhow. My sanity is slowly being restored, so there's that.

L5apoWjF_o.png

In the corner of the map we find a stick! Fetch!

M5c8wvoj_o.png

And on the other end of this enclosure is a well, which will take us one level below ground. We jump and clamber down the mound of corpses to get to a treasure chest. This one is a coin toss. Heads proves the lucky choice, and the pseudo random number generator rewards me with a pair of bone shears, a two handed weapon that doubles our damage output.

uEPla5M3_o.png

5TPe6PdW_o.png

The game comes with an 'Optimize' choice which will auto-choose your equipment for you, and unfortunately I accidentally click it for the girl, who promptly puts on the Ring of the Still Blood. I'm not sure if there are negative side effects for the thing; if there are, well, she has me to thank for them.

GNsupquN_o.png

DfcL4jK4_o.png

In the crafting menu I replenish my stock of torches with a tinderbox, a stick and a cloth.

BxnslgVQ_o.png

And we proceed into the next building, the Inner Hall, still on ground level. Here the hall bifurcates into 3 paths, of which we chose forward.

SVGn4PUr_o.png

A pair of priests are gathered around a statue that acts as a crucifixion cross for a victim. Gro-goroth worshippers? They pay me absolutely no heed as they chant something in their baritone voices.

adikfkN6_o.png

4uyAxCtC_o.png

As I creep up to the statue, the game offers me to sacrifice the naked guy on the cross. Given that he's already nailed to the statue, I figure that we might as well. Maybe we can wrangle a favour or two from the destroyer of men from all of this. He expires with a scream as we stab him and still his beating heart for good.

mRhxx0zR_o.png

The priests do not respond, seemingly in a fugue state. I don't bother disturbing either one from their torpor and quickly proceed to the left. Here's a toilet. A long-drawn out death awaits below if you decide to climb in.

sUBgGzY6_o.png

On the right is another chamber with a writhing skein of human flesh and heads - the human hydra.

EPJFKx5V_o.png

M5BUWriq_o.png

dcW40NdD_o.png

QFO2aAQc_o.png

I'm not giving you anything.

QlsrbRGk_o.png

I could attack them, but since they are immobile I chose to excuse myself and leave them in peace. Maybe they have some nasty tricks up their sleeve in combat. I don't feel like chancing it. Back in the main hall and BOOM Combat!
The guard came out as my eyes wandered across the map in search of wall torches to light. Well, no problem, we'll just hack off his left a..

EJ7JZ8M8_o.png

MISS! And the guard capitalizes immediately, counter attacking us with a vicious blow that cleaves our left arm off our body, giving us a bleeding effect AND making us drop our weapon - the bone shears. Now we're unarmed, and have to resort to fighting him with one fist.

tAoag2QN_o.png

The blood loss is also doing a -3 damage to us per turn.

muXkoBUK_o.png

Fortunately, my next attack proves lucky, and the punch manages to wreck the ogre's arm. However, in the heat of battle I've forgotten that the 2nd turn is a coin flip attack..

nLty0kLu_o.png

I choose Heads and toss 2 for good measure. Flawless victory.

VrLatBZn_o.png

The next 4 turns prove lucky, as we leave him without his preferred 'weapon', kick the knees from under him and finally decapitate him after remembering to guard on the 5th turn.

uI214Rza_o.png

-1 arm, -50% of our health, bleeding, we limp away from the scrap.

9tyyYx7x_o.png

I use a cloth to staunch the bleeding. The guard's cleaver is a one arm weapon, and more potent than the scimitar, so we equip it.

KfJeUa8h_o.png

wQLiqzKM_o.png

And proceed down the hallway..
Past a couple of corners is a torture room, decorated with bodily fluids and a wide assortment of tools for slicing and shearing. Two iron maidens make up the other end.

4AioLspf_o.png

2rexemCO_o.png

nGtAjMnH_o.png

Flayed corpses are strewn about the hallway as we begin scavenging for loot. A lucky drop gives us a bear trap.

1982uFaX_o.png

DlBfkVxf_o.png

And back outside in the main connecting corridor, we are arrested by the sound of approaching footsteps.

2p4SPeVe_o.png

A well dressed man runs out of the darkness, a noble by the looks of it.

3cRURPGg_o.png

"Yeah? I'm quite sane as of yet"

PfBvdt5t_o.png

A mutant's howl resonates from behind him.

z3xjDCFT_o.png

lFjWbqeb_o.png

lgwKddpE_o.png

bWB1Sfgl_o.png

ms3URB6z_o.png

Another howl, this time closer.

4VcT4rn7_o.png

Buckman dives into a cul de sac nearby, and we follow suit. Inside is a bed. First we tear off what little bed cloth is here, in case we're in great need of bandages once again. Then I decide to sleep. Why wouldn't I? I think it's a good time to save the game, even if there is an enemy stalking the halls nearby. So I interact with the bed..

GC90w7ak_o.png

..and realize I have no lucky coins left. This is a 50-50.

JfrtBdrA_o.png

Heads? TAILS!

It's over.

Whilst we slumber, a disfigured hunchback that was once a person approaches the room.

XmyMaSg0_o.png

o6HedPil_o.png

Yeah, you tell him Buckman!

T7lKBirs_o.png

WqE6Hxkj_o.png

I presume he whacks us over the head whilst we sleep, and we awaken in the torture room we'd visited shortly before our nap.

acwQS5gD_o.png

xw0kekOB_o.png

EjAhBfAl_o.png

The cleaver takes off our legs one by one at the knees.

Y05vAVM6_o.png

C08LrsF7_o.png

2tmFZKyk_o.png

jYQqF5sn_o.png

SOdQw3pS_o.png

Then the arms go as well..

tFshPFAI_o.png

DG30Wo2r_o.png

UzzUFWIZ_o.png

qyQHx7vK_o.png

m1qvzNKL_o.png

And we finally fade to black at the sight of our crotch turning into a bloody welter. So much for run one, ending on the rack, killed by one of the weakest enemies in the game. There's a great irony that we were ended by this thing after finding the bone shears:

What happened to the girl is a mystery. Maybe she hid under the bed? Maybe Buckman is beating her to death at the ritual circle? We'll never know. Part 4 will see is restart from the very beginning, but we'll give the Merc another chance.

Egosphere

Arcane
People that I like told me only incredible things about the series and already bought them. After my BG3 playtrus, I'm giving Fear and Hunger 2 a proper look before jumping in the Starfield hype train.

PS: if I like the sequel fairly enuff, I'm playing the original anyways.
I've seen ~1 hour of footage of Termina, and didn't watch any more since I don't want to spoil myself like I did for the majority of the first. I think the opening game is the more atmospheric of the two - darker, more oppressive both aesthetically and mechanically, much less forgiving - but I could be misled by Termina's opening. I'm intrigued by the battle royale aspect of the sequel where you have many "contestants" stuck in Silent Hill a small rural town being forced to compete against each other for survival.

Apparently there are a lot of tie-ins between the two, despite being set several centuries apart. Although the endings in the first game are mutually exclusive, for the sequel about half of them are canon.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

We find ourselves outside, where the spores of the mist assail our lungs. Or so the game pretends, anyhow. My sanity is slowly being restored, so there's that.

L5apoWjF_o.png

M5c8wvoj_o.png

And on the other end of this enclosure is a well, which will take us one level below ground. We jump and clamber down the mound of corpses to get to a treasure chest. This one is a coin toss. Heads proves the lucky choice, and the pseudo random number generator rewards me with a pair of bone shears, a two handed weapon that doubles our damage output.

uEPla5M3_o.png

5TPe6PdW_o.png

The game comes with an 'Optimize' choice which will auto-choose your equipment for you, and unfortunately I accidentally click it for the girl, who promptly puts on the Ring of the Still Blood. I'm not sure if there are negative side effects for the thing; if there are, well, she has me to thank for them.

GNsupquN_o.png

DfcL4jK4_o.png

In the crafting menu I replenish my stock of torches with a tinderbox, a stick and a cloth.

BxnslgVQ_o.png

And we proceed into the next building, the Inner Hall, still on ground level. Here the hall bifurcates into 3 paths, of which we chose forward.

SVGn4PUr_o.png

A pair of priests are gathered around a statue that acts as a crucifixion cross for a victim. Gro-goroth worshippers? They pay me absolutely no heed as they chant something in their baritone voices.

adikfkN6_o.png

4uyAxCtC_o.png

As I creep up to the statue, the game offers me to sacrifice the naked guy on the cross. Given that he's already nailed to the statue, I figure that we might as well. Maybe we can wrangle a favour or two from the destroyer of men from all of this. He expires with a scream as we stab him and still his beating heart for good.

mRhxx0zR_o.png

The priests do not respond, seemingly in a fugue state. I don't bother disturbing either one from their torpor and quickly proceed to the left. Here's a toilet. A long-drawn out death awaits below if you decide to climb in.

sUBgGzY6_o.png

On the right is another chamber with a writhing skein of human flesh and heads - the human hydra.

EPJFKx5V_o.png

M5BUWriq_o.png

dcW40NdD_o.png

QFO2aAQc_o.png

QlsrbRGk_o.png

I could attack them, but since they are immobile I chose to excuse myself and leave them in peace. Maybe they have some nasty tricks up their sleeve in combat. I don't feel like chancing it. Back in the main hall and BOOM Combat!
The guard came out as my eyes wandered across the map in search of wall torches to light. Well, no problem, we'll just hack off his left a..

EJ7JZ8M8_o.png

MISS! And the guard capitalizes immediately, counter attacking us with a vicious blow that cleaves our left arm off our body, giving us a bleeding effect AND making us drop our weapon - the bone shears. Now we're unarmed, and have to resort to fighting him with one fist.

tAoag2QN_o.png

muXkoBUK_o.png

Fortunately, my next attack proves lucky, and the punch manages to wreck the ogre's arm. However, in the heat of battle I've forgotten that the 2nd turn is a coin flip attack..

nLty0kLu_o.png

VrLatBZn_o.png

The next 4 turns prove lucky, as we leave him without his preferred 'weapon', kick the knees from under him and finally decapitate him after remembering to guard on the 5th turn.

uI214Rza_o.png

9tyyYx7x_o.png

I use a cloth to staunch the bleeding. The guard's cleaver is a one arm weapon, and more potent than the scimitar, so we equip it.

KfJeUa8h_o.png

wQLiqzKM_o.png

Past a couple of corners is a torture room, decorated with bodily fluids and a wide assortment of tools for slicing and shearing. Two iron maidens make up the other end.

4AioLspf_o.png

2rexemCO_o.png

nGtAjMnH_o.png

Flayed corpses are strewn about the hallway as we begin scavenging for loot. A lucky drop gives us a bear trap.

1982uFaX_o.png

DlBfkVxf_o.png

And back outside in the main connecting corridor, we are arrested by the sound of approaching footsteps.

2p4SPeVe_o.png

3cRURPGg_o.png

PfBvdt5t_o.png

z3xjDCFT_o.png

lFjWbqeb_o.png

lgwKddpE_o.png

bWB1Sfgl_o.png

ms3URB6z_o.png

4VcT4rn7_o.png

Buckman dives into a cul de sac nearby, and we follow suit. Inside is a bed. First we tear off what little bed cloth is here, in case we're in great need of bandages once again. Then I decide to sleep. Why wouldn't I? I think it's a good time to save the game, even if there is an enemy stalking the halls nearby. So I interact with the bed..

GC90w7ak_o.png

JfrtBdrA_o.png

Heads? TAILS!

It's over.

Whilst we slumber, a disfigured hunchback that was once a person approaches the room.

XmyMaSg0_o.png

o6HedPil_o.png

T7lKBirs_o.png

WqE6Hxkj_o.png

I presume he whacks us over the head whilst we sleep, and we awaken in the torture room we'd visited shortly before our nap.

acwQS5gD_o.png

xw0kekOB_o.png

EjAhBfAl_o.png

Y05vAVM6_o.png

C08LrsF7_o.png

2tmFZKyk_o.png

jYQqF5sn_o.png

SOdQw3pS_o.png

tFshPFAI_o.png

DG30Wo2r_o.png

UzzUFWIZ_o.png

qyQHx7vK_o.png

m1qvzNKL_o.png

And we finally fade to black at the sight of our crotch turning into a bloody welter. So much for run one, ending on the rack, killed by one of the weakest enemies in the game. There's a great irony that we were ended by this thing after finding the bone shears:

What happened to the girl is a mystery. Maybe she hid under the bed? Maybe Buckman is beating her to death at the ritual circle? We'll never know. Part 4 will see is restart from the very beginning, but we'll give the Merc another chance.
Shit, that was brutal...
"We want that fresh girl meat!" and getting your limbs and dick chopped off by a deranged torturer...
What a nice, family game, yeah?

Egosphere

Arcane

L5apoWjF_o.png

M5c8wvoj_o.png

uEPla5M3_o.png

5TPe6PdW_o.png

GNsupquN_o.png

DfcL4jK4_o.png

BxnslgVQ_o.png

SVGn4PUr_o.png

adikfkN6_o.png

4uyAxCtC_o.png

mRhxx0zR_o.png

sUBgGzY6_o.png

EPJFKx5V_o.png

M5BUWriq_o.png

dcW40NdD_o.png

QFO2aAQc_o.png

QlsrbRGk_o.png

EJ7JZ8M8_o.png

tAoag2QN_o.png

muXkoBUK_o.png

nLty0kLu_o.png

VrLatBZn_o.png

uI214Rza_o.png

9tyyYx7x_o.png

KfJeUa8h_o.png

wQLiqzKM_o.png

4AioLspf_o.png

2rexemCO_o.png

nGtAjMnH_o.png

1982uFaX_o.png

DlBfkVxf_o.png

2p4SPeVe_o.png

3cRURPGg_o.png

PfBvdt5t_o.png

z3xjDCFT_o.png

lFjWbqeb_o.png

lgwKddpE_o.png

bWB1Sfgl_o.png

ms3URB6z_o.png

4VcT4rn7_o.png

GC90w7ak_o.png

JfrtBdrA_o.png

Heads? TAILS!

It's over.

XmyMaSg0_o.png

o6HedPil_o.png

T7lKBirs_o.png

WqE6Hxkj_o.png

acwQS5gD_o.png

xw0kekOB_o.png

EjAhBfAl_o.png

Y05vAVM6_o.png

C08LrsF7_o.png

2tmFZKyk_o.png

jYQqF5sn_o.png

SOdQw3pS_o.png

tFshPFAI_o.png

DG30Wo2r_o.png

UzzUFWIZ_o.png

qyQHx7vK_o.png

m1qvzNKL_o.png

Shit, that was brutal...
"We want that fresh girl meat!" and getting your limbs and dick chopped off by a deranged torturer...

Lol yeah. I'm glad I didn't die to the ogre though. There's 3 different endings to that, and they range from as bad to far worse what Cavarra endured.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

L5apoWjF_o.png

M5c8wvoj_o.png

uEPla5M3_o.png

5TPe6PdW_o.png

GNsupquN_o.png

DfcL4jK4_o.png

BxnslgVQ_o.png

SVGn4PUr_o.png

adikfkN6_o.png

4uyAxCtC_o.png

mRhxx0zR_o.png

sUBgGzY6_o.png

EPJFKx5V_o.png

M5BUWriq_o.png

dcW40NdD_o.png

QFO2aAQc_o.png

QlsrbRGk_o.png

EJ7JZ8M8_o.png

tAoag2QN_o.png

muXkoBUK_o.png

nLty0kLu_o.png

VrLatBZn_o.png

uI214Rza_o.png

9tyyYx7x_o.png

KfJeUa8h_o.png

wQLiqzKM_o.png

4AioLspf_o.png

2rexemCO_o.png

nGtAjMnH_o.png

1982uFaX_o.png

DlBfkVxf_o.png

2p4SPeVe_o.png

3cRURPGg_o.png

PfBvdt5t_o.png

z3xjDCFT_o.png

lFjWbqeb_o.png

lgwKddpE_o.png

bWB1Sfgl_o.png

ms3URB6z_o.png

4VcT4rn7_o.png

GC90w7ak_o.png

JfrtBdrA_o.png

Heads? TAILS!

It's over.

XmyMaSg0_o.png

o6HedPil_o.png

T7lKBirs_o.png

WqE6Hxkj_o.png

acwQS5gD_o.png

xw0kekOB_o.png

EjAhBfAl_o.png

Y05vAVM6_o.png

C08LrsF7_o.png

2tmFZKyk_o.png

jYQqF5sn_o.png

SOdQw3pS_o.png

tFshPFAI_o.png

DG30Wo2r_o.png

UzzUFWIZ_o.png

qyQHx7vK_o.png

m1qvzNKL_o.png

Shit, that was brutal...

Lol yeah. I'm glad I didn't die to the ogre though. There's 3 different endings to that, and they range from as bad to far worse what Cavarra endured.
Hmmm, let me guess, it involves the Stinger and him using it on you in a very "special" way, right?

Egosphere

Arcane

L5apoWjF_o.png

M5c8wvoj_o.png

uEPla5M3_o.png

5TPe6PdW_o.png

GNsupquN_o.png

DfcL4jK4_o.png

BxnslgVQ_o.png

SVGn4PUr_o.png

adikfkN6_o.png

4uyAxCtC_o.png

mRhxx0zR_o.png

sUBgGzY6_o.png

EPJFKx5V_o.png

M5BUWriq_o.png

dcW40NdD_o.png

QFO2aAQc_o.png

QlsrbRGk_o.png

EJ7JZ8M8_o.png

tAoag2QN_o.png

muXkoBUK_o.png

nLty0kLu_o.png

VrLatBZn_o.png

uI214Rza_o.png

9tyyYx7x_o.png

KfJeUa8h_o.png

wQLiqzKM_o.png

4AioLspf_o.png

2rexemCO_o.png

nGtAjMnH_o.png

1982uFaX_o.png

DlBfkVxf_o.png

2p4SPeVe_o.png

3cRURPGg_o.png

PfBvdt5t_o.png

z3xjDCFT_o.png

lFjWbqeb_o.png

lgwKddpE_o.png

bWB1Sfgl_o.png

ms3URB6z_o.png

4VcT4rn7_o.png

GC90w7ak_o.png

JfrtBdrA_o.png

Heads? TAILS!

It's over.

XmyMaSg0_o.png

o6HedPil_o.png

T7lKBirs_o.png

WqE6Hxkj_o.png

acwQS5gD_o.png

xw0kekOB_o.png

EjAhBfAl_o.png

Y05vAVM6_o.png

C08LrsF7_o.png

2tmFZKyk_o.png

jYQqF5sn_o.png

SOdQw3pS_o.png

tFshPFAI_o.png

DG30Wo2r_o.png

UzzUFWIZ_o.png

qyQHx7vK_o.png

m1qvzNKL_o.png

Shit, that was brutal...

Hmmm, let me guess, it involves the Stinger and him using it on you in a very "special" way, right?

Yes, 2.5% chance of that. Otherwise you can get teleported to level 3 without your legs, or into the dungeon cell with their captain who likes bashing skulls in.

lightbane

Arcane
I think it's actually possible to survive that mutilation scene, but then you're a few seconds away from death anyway...

Endemic

Arcane
I think it's actually possible to survive that mutilation scene, but then you're a few seconds away from death anyway...

You can get items that prevent bleeding, but you wouldn't be in a condition to do much with no extremities :P

Egosphere

Arcane
Should I condense the posts, btw? I'm at ~200 images per run which seems overkill. Have cropped the lore book screenshots so that they take up far less space. Are people interested in the world or just seeing how bad things get?

Egosphere

Arcane
PART IV : Blueberry Thickets

I returned to the game with a vengeance. Trortur had pissed me off, so I intended to lash out by taking a riskier approach to things. Although the payoff was not quite what I expected, my 2nd run still ended up being an interesting adventure. Full run below.

As per Endemic's request, run 3's class will be determined by you, the readers. So leave a comment which one of Merc, Knight, Priest or Outlander you wish to see for run 3 and 4.

We are back outside the main gates. Preliminary apologies for the mouse in the screen, I didn't know the default settings captured it as well. It will be moved aside about ~1/3rd of the way through this. Also, imgbox has decided to fuck up the order of the uploaded images, so if something doesn't look right and out of chronological order - its because it is.

We pay little heed to the horse and dash our way to the barrels to strip them dry of anything valuable. Stick, flour and wormjuice (which is this world's vermox)

L6YI86Mc_o.png

Instead of diving into the main dungeon, instead we take a hard left and run into the side building.

cCroYkwR_o.png

bteCLZIk_o.png

We find some dirt in the nearby barrel, which looks to be sheep shit. Great.

BQSiXW7I_o.png

But the upside of this damp, dank cellar is that its a treasure trove of fungi and plants. The floors are scattered with dried mushrooms, which can serve as edible snack to keep hunger at bay.

yJT030AJ_o.png

We proceed through the door into the basement proper. There's another ritual circle here. Do note that these ritual circles have different pictures. The previous one that we found had the same pattern as the Tails on our lucky coins. This one is a backward runic R. Я.

GIslqCd9_o.png

e55CXS1w_o.png

The game hints at this in the description - an older, more obscure god. If Gro-goroth, Sylvian and Allmer are well known, then can we presume the old pantheon holds others?

5kvH4nWP_o.png

Around this place are more green herbs, blue herbs and mushrooms. Green herbs are much needed to fight infections, so it's good to stock up.

lnzpZT1g_o.png

In a nearby crate we discover an explosive vial. Very important item that can be employed to clear away debris from collapsed corridors.
Around the corner in the next room we discover a new enemy - maneba. The thing is a grinning, toothy, bulbous head on six tendrils, which act as its support. It's slow, and generally will not try and catch you if you are not sufficiently close enough.

JNj8uOXa_o.png

We bypass it with ease and pick up some rotten meat from the table.

yyt2IsgL_o.png

skxVfWW0_o.png

RaGVU85b_o.png

In the storage area is Nitroglycerin powder. Iirc the explosive was employed to shake loose oil wells and extract more crude in the 19th century. What use it will bring us - I'm not sure.

quWpTFyE_o.png

HfuJX8Ef_o.png

The leather helmet is a welcome addition. Now I feel much safer against cleavers and maces :)
The metallic door here is locked. You might recognize that room - it's the one we reached when we jumped down the well in the previous run.
I can't lockpick it since it's 'fastened shut from the other side'.

qUNOj29a_o.png

We step away from the door and continue to..

2FW6znhC_o.png

Cavarra gets pulled into some sort of vortex that appears spontaneously underneath him.

EqJvxsAo_o.png

And lands in a weird dream world. The rooms here are surrounded by an impenetrable darkness, whilst a distorting after effect gives the edges of our screen an uncanny look.

7KNfI3aF_o.png

uNzXpk7H_o.png

cceSSUut_o.png

As we proceed through the area, running from one room to the next, a figure appears to float beside us, circling us as she cackles with an inhuman voice.

ba3jPdHv_o.png

She appears two times. Before the third, I reach a door filled with uniform white light, which spits me back out. Crisis averted.

ZbJ7txaA_o.png

The coin toss in the next room when searching the weapon rack is unsuccessful

Kry3ELWh_o.png

UXtpiHdZ_o.png

And I am eventually cornered by one of the manebas, which despite its slowness manages to take up enough room near the door to make an exit impossible. Time to fight.

lhKyU1Oy_o.png

I go for the fat head, and of course I miss. The thing replies with 3 attacks in quick succession, injecting me with something, and then utilizing its tendrils as whips. 33 damage. Not great.

fj4qkTRA_o.png

htIBZx98_o.png

I didn't realize what that affliction was throughout the run - its a worm infection. I could have cured it with the wormjuice, but the image did not give me the idea to try it out. I thought it was some sort of toxin. This proved to be incredibly annoying since worms means your hunger rises twice as fast.

My next attack managed to connect, which was enough to sink the maneba

G0DqwcPd_o.png

The door behind him echoes a voice. We stop to listen.

GeJxux7W_o.png

rylOEUmH_o.png

But attempts at unlocking it fail. Perhaps this is the witch which we saw in our little detour.

6vqC6gPk_o.png

mjM0FBNT_o.png

So we take another set of stairs down to reach Level 3 - the basement. I was in fact wrong when I called the previous part the basement. That would still be level 1 if my mental map of the world is right. This is however level 3. We're in deep!

GYPZexG1_o.png

Beyond the sandy graveyard stand the catacombs

Y5NRYnVd_o.png

And we duck into the darkness just in time as a giant clad in metal armour comes stomping into view. He has maces for arms. Judging by the size alone, I don't want to tango with this one.

lqKsKo12_o.png

To the north west of the map is a little room where we can light a bonfire and rest. I light the fire, but decide to forego saving the game for now since the run has just started.

w1CyIyrl_o.png

yWk5i3EM_o.png

Interacting with the statue will simply print something about the maiden and the crow. Perhaps significant lore wise, but I didn't pay much heed to it.
To the north east of the map are blood splatters and the corpse of some weird thing. Looks like a humanoid rabbit on LSD. He's seen things you people wouldn't believe. We pick up all of the shrooms and herbs.

bcLMsnLr_o.png

t4q3Rhhq_o.png

Iron Shakespeare, which is the name of the giant enemy, comes out to check that wing of the map, but we remain safely out of his view.

VM2CDCMS_o.png

And inside the next room is another living person!

8cf6lbGm_o.png

UugqQKrq_o.png

SXRKqqyd_o.png

"Yes I am"

TAO9usXd_o.png

UR6jsXyT_o.png

tvWZ5Hlb_o.png

With that, the conversation ends and we will have to restart it manually. Before we do that, we have two tables to loot, both of which are coin tosses. Tails proves very lucky for both.

chXiIo0H_o.png

pxFPPMWy_o.png

reSGuS95_o.png

Armed with an iron cuirass and a morning star, we get back to the knight.

dHgECYGD_o.png

"What are you doing here?"

YaqWundI_o.png

TkdDLuCN_o.png

jwBe2Na4_o.png

Buckman! We met him in the previous run, shortly before expiring. Now, interestingly enough, we were sent here to retrieve a mercenary band leader - Le'Garde. So it seems that the kingdom did first send in its own knights, hell its own prince, to do the mission, but once they went MIA decided to throw money at us as a stopgap measure, probably before regrouping another company to brave the depths.

"What's happening to this place?"

7xLGgMz5_o.png

S3CPxHxV_o.png

jQrsthgZ_o.png

3pigKgKh_o.png

ayncikhF_o.png

C6AzlCKJ_o.png

"You seem hurt?"

pW6Q3tiN_o.png

7oEtw0U3_o.png

It's not clear what he's referring to. I think it's the rabbit creature that is already dead, and not the Iron Shakespeare stalking the hallway.

WDquijux_o.png

We sneak back out and around the patrolling mountain of metal and go north. Here's a door which we fail to lockpick, for whatever reason.

UtOPr7AQ_o.png

o17Z8NiH_o.png

And fighting it proves futile, even without the mace. So we leave and delve down the stairs. Still at level 3, we enter the Prisons, or the other-world of Silent Hill, since the aesthetic is lifted directly from SH1/3.

CCqtnj1x_o.png

The prison cells hold a lot of beds, so that it's possible to use this room as a giant save room, but you need to bash down the doors. For now we cannot do that. Whilst we're inspecting the bars, a creature approaches us from the darkness. Looking somewhat like a "stone elemental", the thing pursues us with sporadic gusts of speed as it beats its wings. We prove faster, however, and put some distance between us.

7aoM2Yzq_o.png

The next cell to the east has its door already missing, but a ghoul guards the bed. I'm not sure if the talking trick will work on this one, so I leave him be.

4m1E38tT_o.png

As I travel along a stretch of metal grating, admiring the gigantic snakeman statue that rises from the abysall depths, I hear a twang and am greeted with a message that I am bleeding.

uFsoMDnR_o.png

The culprit is a guard with a ... ballista. I don't know whether to be pissed off at the cheap trick, or be thankful that the ballista does only minor damage. By right I should have been cut in half.

XCh83NMC_o.png

We retreat, heal and visit a few cells to the very north.

g2PoZWOm_o.png

In one is a lucky coin, which can be spotted by the small glimmer it gives off (much easier in real time since the glimmer pulsates)

IZCSCep9_o.png

swzcM4o5_o.png

And in the next cell over is a doll, which elicits a creepy feeling in Cavarra. Why? Something about this doll is not quite right. Whilst we inspect it, the little stone golem flies through the door and starts approaching. We grab the doll and deftly dance around to avoid an encounter, slipping out of the door

IIa7JXPW_o.png

5yuxsAZd_o.png

Another golem appears, and I dash back into the previous cell. Well, here's a bed. I figure I might save the game here.

E48LifnF_o.png

Tails, and tossing tw...

mVpRhtlS_o.png

Are you fucking shitting me?

gEPEEEaa_o.png

Of course. Because of course. Why wouldn't the guard lift up the ballista and go pay me a visit whilst I'm sleeping? How nice of him.

gIgbOrxY_o.png

What's that supposed to mean?

Anyhow what's done is done. We'll have to fight our way out, and forego saving the game. At least it's not insta-kill game over like last time. Unlike the cleaver-guard, this one has both of its arms counting as one, so just one attack can cleave off both.

pL1mw7wY_o.png

yjMvEIgz_o.png

We hack off the arms and then hack off the stinger

8nZJxlN2_o.png

And since he's missing both arms, he reverts to the slam attack, slamming 32 points of HP out of us.

SyyzVWri_o.png

But my next blow to the torso proves fatal, and we live to see another day, or level.

YGXs450t_o.png

We escape back out and backtrack all the way to the maiden-crow statue room. The guard dropped a purifying talisman, which we study on our way back.

xMlihqjd_o.png

YYkbQll8_o.png

Thankfully this room does not ask for a coin toss, and we get a solid hour of sleep.

OYpscAub_o.png

7CJfNE7Z_o.png

Who could it be now? Caw caw caw caw caaaaaaaw

Back outside proper, I encounter a new character that has appeared outside the main gate - a whiskey nosed merchant. The conditions for his appearance are a mystery to me. Perhaps reaching level 3 was enough.

wyI0Hwrs_o.png

H30q7rNp_o.png

RhEHbTAx_o.png

h8b7qAce_o.png

zHKAE9WS_o.png

zflfbnW5_o.png

For now we do not have the money to buy any of his wares, but they do look good. Potion of life sounds intriguing, provided it actually works. Maybe he's a charlatan.

gQEwK892_o.png

Back in the main building I begin to speedrun. The girl is on the left, just like the previous time, and we bust her out with out lockpicking skills.

kiTnUf5z_o.png

hbh4dMr3_o.png

Instead of trying to avoid the guard, we attack him instead. Luckily we do not miss and the fight is a cakewalk.

fCrNTQog_o.png

lIVHbqCQ_o.png

This one had the ring of still blood, which we make sure not to put on this time around

00WOkUrK_o.png

We tear down the ingerland rondon flag

XOTkae4J_o.png

KKaisVvr_o.png

And in the next room we find some bone-shars.

butLwqOz_o.png

They're better than the morning star, so thats what we go for.

L46hnq6W_o.png

The tinderbox can be used to light the stove upon which we can prepare raw meat and convert it into esculent provisions.

IVTZlJp1_o.png

z9xQpgaM_o.png

In the nearby mini library we go on a lucky spree of findings

COViXUWw_o.png

Black orb!

r66vE8qE_o.png

Fellowship chapter 2

MMl5SJUN_o.png

And the book of enlightenment, which we promptly read. I had no idea that this was a portable saving mechanism at the time, so yes I wasted the book.

v7uBXKbq_o.png

NzjsFEmA_o.png

3tc1W3pD_o.png

XhXGoCYS_o.png

sgWKVk5C_o.png

hqP9rbPc_o.png

gF7PiOXf_o.png

Terrible. Whilst we're here we decide to read the

THE FELLOWSHIP : CHAPTER 2

(note that we find Chapter 1 a little later, so you can read them in order if you wish - look for the long list of textboxes that comes not long after this)

2enSeNKU_o.png

UlJ1COUb_o.png

yyZDLJWr_o.png

AE8AN1SO_o.png

s8B5yvAy_o.png

g1FkPkTI_o.png

F3LlASWu_o.png

aWJW3uRy_o.png

Back in the inventory I check out the black orb spell

EkSeBeJN_o.png

20, I think, is the Mind? Maybe, maybe, we'll have to test this in the future, provided we remember to.

RsJGMK48_o.png

Do note that I was oblivious to the fact that my character was hungry AND had worms.
We return to the main network of corridors and find the collapsed tunnel which we encountered in our previous run. With our explosive vial, we can now clear it.

CeC3Mb7Y_o.png

The path leads to a side safe area with a couple of items to loot and a bed.

DTYDEJKy_o.png

FY5fNvqF_o.png

N4VXmoOH_o.png

The alchemilla we already read in the previous part. The helmet goes onto the head. Saving the game goes without a hitch this time. Really no need in it since we've just saved with the book of enlightenment, but oh well.

3IkEXGEg_o.png

xNp4geXM_o.png

I browse the stuff we've uncovered so far. The bonesaw has an amusing description.

wSs39PId_o.png

Back outside, we also find a use for purifying talisman, which is capable of removing a hex from a closed door.

pZGcpvva_o.png

This layout is new, this door wasnt here on our previous run. Since the maps constantly change in subtle ways between runs there's always a nagging feeling of being lost.

FPiz9II5_o.png

TsBneBok_o.png

Inside we find a tablet held up by stone statues.

V2sGxnM6_o.png

q9eisTMr_o.png

TKid7EK8_o.png

And this explains what the meaning of the Soul is in the introduction. As I recall, we have the Soul of the Endless, which gives us an affinity with one of the new gods.
The hexen, just as described, is a skill tree with a total of 8 branches - 4 for the new gods and 4 for the old. Interesting, since we were led to believe that the old gods were only 3. The inverted R is also present here, as is the two overlapping circles that we find on the lucky coins. Each god, then, has a symbol, but we as of yet do not have the info to figure out which is which.

3qjAkxoi_o.png

I decide to test out the black orb on the prisoner ghoul enemy instead of talking to him. This proves to be an unwise choice.

tBiDelJ3_o.png

jriRLuUc_o.png

pZ8PkWZy_o.png

Although it does plenty of damage, it fails to kill him, and he responds with a scratch that takes away even more of our health and infects our arm.

0Vkjp4V9_o.png

The next attack flatlines him and I go into the inventory to pop blue pills for the HP, and a green herb for the infection. The worm status effect for whatever reason does not perturb me, even though the hunger messages are coming in thick and fast.

YX2quTEC_o.png

beAh0Yk7_o.png

We return to the courtyard. Just as before the well gives us with the opportunity to gather some loot.

rlgLx6nn_o.png

cMcGAZPt_o.png

The bone shears are cool but I decide to go back to the mace and equip the shield in the other arm

BFJqk79C_o.png

And we climb the mound of dead bodies and proceed forward.

uTgdnL8Z_o.png

Maybe.

Here we sacrifice the bald dude once more, and once again we forego any interactions with the priests.

SxZQWEBU_o.png

But instead of the library, to the west we stumble upon one of the playable characters - Enki, the Dark Priest.

V7MJqFVH_o.png

oWojXY2D_o.png

"Who are you?"

XSqgIp5h_o.png

2F7QIcKB_o.png

tjlBKWyS_o.png

The name of the sumerian God of knowledge

6EFzquP6_o.png

Since he's so impolite, but not yet hostile, I decide not to press my luck and disengage from the conversation. The surrounding library proves a veritable treasure trove for lore.

ijkgsD4c_o.png

Steady now. I wouldn't curse Gro-goroth in a building that's standing above satanic lizardmen statues and interminable voids.

eVGIzIYR_o.png

*they

Q2Ck6Oz6_o.png

The pocketcat book I've already posted in the previous run.
The mockup book which I've found once more serves as a key to unlocking a hidden exit.

xKU9rv3O_o.png

s9nv8qM1_o.png

But before we leave we return to looting the library and reading up on the lore.

9oYe3u88_o.png

I actually missed this and forgot to use it, I think.

V86TvFqL_o.png

e4SyEx8m_o.png

This scroll here gives us a big clue on how to cheat in this game in a very roundabout way. You need an empty scroll and a quill, which you can then use to write messages like the above to get items or spells for free.

lULB6GOf_o.png

mH6eMjXR_o.png

4WjQytrB_o.png

So lets catch up with the reading. For those not interested in the lore, feel free to skip the small cutout texts.

CAPTAIN'S DIARY

OqF0mf0H_o.png

DxYTgpzv_o.png

So why didn't you?

gTK3bMb4_o.png

AGKdTtv4_o.png

uiFjFiYQ_o.png

Lcw2Yb0C_o.png

THE FELLOWSHIP: CHAPTER 1

Af7AM3AL_o.png

1GcNaLVl_o.png

vqQKWfrW_o.png

So now we have the names of the new gods, and as such we know that it is Nilvan who is the God that grants us our skills.

UDEB33nM_o.png

Interesting. Forgotten 5th new God on top of the reclusive 4th old god.

j8Vokb5W_o.png

dNjcjBPu_o.png

xK65RA00_o.png

ysagHTFM_o.png

Blxt5TE9_o.png

HXnouTGk_o.png

F3LlASWu_o.png

BLOOD & FLOWER MAGIC 1:

mSCVgVv8_o.png

J9M5Q43J_o.png

O7KJ4F1M_o.png

oyBYX8R0_o.png

segQr0us_o.png

kMOBNs8a_o.png

:abyssgazer:

AWkEAbgj_o.png

racn5Uw1_o.png

Like Siamese twins?

FTU4Z0mm_o.png

qWsIfR7l_o.png

STUDIES OF ALLLMER: CHAPTER 1

YDz5ZBP9_o.png

wsLILJB4_o.png

hjXinC0k_o.png

5pLmUYXU_o.png

rrehtqM9_o.png

So the priests sacrificing the bald guy are alllmer worshippers, since he's crucified

NJrqxDrF_o.png

yGEQrHFJ_o.png

cjAjMlHo_o.png

Ma'habre, Mahavre - whatever that place is, it's important. Both the place of ascension of Alllmer, and the subsequent ascension of the new pantheon, after their meeting with the Old Gods somewhere within its main temple. This is also the one who is named our saviour in the Fellowship book. So the ascension of the new pantheon occurred 809 years after Alllmer's birth.

STUDIES OF GRO-GOROTH : CHAPTER 1

oy8KDxzh_o.png

My take away from the picture is that Gro-goroth is thicc and likes to twerk as he bites your head off

I9IRNFXt_o.png

02t3jgm0_o.png

ZhxMV6LU_o.png

EiLbvjvd_o.png

Based.

6eBC7tcH_o.png

SMQ5vLKa_o.png

ME3pWF5B_o.png

As in he looks like a man/woman, or he peels people and then drapes their skins over himself?

17EZT3IF_o.png

With all that out of the way, we go back to the secret exit we uncovered with the mockup book. Lots of ACK-ers in here. We take a step forward when somebody fires an arrow that falls just shy of our boots. And from the shrubs, another playable character appears - the Outlander.

hzkQG6l6_o.png

7YkZhfs5_o.png

B2UQs41C_o.png

7oPvzq1I_o.png

nPE5IJIl_o.png

oBM0685Q_o.png

"No, I am not"

qPye8nEv_o.png

4S8Jdeqw_o.png

GAy9VB5Y_o.png

FZiAv64U_o.png

KK75dne6_o.png

ukghbOzQ_o.png

Why is that?

3VSGho04_o.png

WV0uthrR_o.png

tjBtdWys_o.png

xakXwwFq_o.png

2IezSLUf_o.png

"Are you familiar with it?"

wcC1zRKU_o.png

Vinland, is that where we are now? Rondon being the kingdom and Vinland being the continent?

od9VFmH6_o.png

aKRRuaYz_o.png

Since the outlander is playable, plying him with questions is far inferior to an actual playthrough with that character, so I let him be. We find a small dagger just a little to the north and the game prompts me to give it to my companion.

wkzkiYIt_o.png

YRlYX2Yj_o.png

Do you want to give it to the girl? YES | NO ?
Yes.

6WCCTR5f_o.png

4z9EnTpm_o.png

rIGGSnW3_o.png

bXgJkS0o_o.png

Well, cool. Now we get another 20-30 damage output per turn, per limb.

2DGWBaNh_o.png

Beside this is an interesting scene. In the centre stands the statue of Alllmer, and beside it some sort of thing with a nose not too dissimilar to the merchant's stands around and rubs its hands.

cTz1p6f4_o.png

It does not attack us. As we approach, it tells us to get lost.

HMrnBVbQ_o.png

HaqS6AFI_o.png

Cool! That's smart! That way you can simply fly out of here without having to go through the dungeon parts. I wish him all the best with his endeavour and carry on. At the statue we are offered to pray. I go for Alllmer once more.

iFW7lxz6_o.png

Past the statue is another .. interesting scene. A naked woman in a bunny mask stands under a wooden archway.

8FszhBgl_o.png

CPWzZKW9_o.png

qCUoM3qo_o.png

CVRyUhfi_o.png

Oh yeah?

pguwrqPU_o.png

I hunger..

The rabbits are living up to their archetype, completely lost in the act. I presume this is the Sylvain worshipping wing. We excuse ourselves and promptly leave.
By the dagger was another collapsed path, which requires an explosive vial.

fortunately, as we return to the dungeon we find just the item by the hydra room.

GAt4DElv_o.png

And going back allows us to explode the passage and persist forward

1HgUG57I_o.png

We're barely out of the door when a vicious pair of hounds accosts us. There's no chance of escape, even with dash we cannot outrun a hungry dog.

ylyvZ8GM_o.png

faKb8kU8_o.png

For whatever reason I've forgotten to heal, it seems, so the fight is a nail-biting affair at 19HP. I luckily kill one dog on first turn with a blow to the head with the mace.

D40QSn29_o.png

Coin flip attack!

fZgLmYrr_o.png

Two tails prove enough and we avoid its attempt to lunge at our throat. The girl is less lucky and is bleeding after getting attacked.

6CmR0jKc_o.png

The next turn wraps up the fight and we stop to heal and staunch the bleeding.

By the side of this opening is an anthill of sorts.

g3Ee9iRL_o.png

I do NOT put my hand inside anything, resorting to simply eyeballing it.

Sq8Y4agm_o.png

xV9ZyCBz_o.png

To the north is a giant tree, intertwined with the remains of humans. There appears to be a human head at the end of the tree trunk, with a mesh of vines emanating from the scalp. A body on the left up in the branches appears to be wearing a mask - maybe a bunny mask.

8EXzYXsV_o.png

8DkrfsjJ_o.png

We step inside the tree and enter the thickets. The sound is almost entirely muffled, but we are greeted with an ominous tone.

O57QUyaE_o.png

ynn2zjRw_o.png

QpmPCLxL_o.png

Terrible. At this point I'm low on health items and not all that well equipped to brave unknown areas, but I press onwards.

ZNiysThQ_o.png

We find more people stuck in the vines here, and discover a torch in a clay urn. A new enemy patrols the area - the mumbler. Humanoid thing with a bouquet of purple welts for a head. I kill it in one hit, but it explodes and sprays acid onto the girl. Not cool .

eGOmOVqk_o.png

I have no clue how to heal the acid status effect, so I'm afraid we're gonna do our best by trying to avoid these enemies rather than engage them.

The area in fact appears a dead end, but the astute player will notice that there is a corridor to the north which we cant reach. In a video I've seen players find the path there via a secret opening in the wall, so we hug the northern wall and try to interact with it until we find the patch that gives way.

WB3lBjrN_o.png

But this is where the run takes a turn for the worst, and quickly lands us in circumstances beyond our control. As I walk through the corridor, I step on a piece of ground that gives way - presenting me with a coin toss. I fail the toss and we both collapse to Level 4.

2S4encaJ_o.png

SXNh8kX9_o.png

And then it happens again. And then it happens AGAIN. We are now in level 6, and it's still the Thicket. Here we see some mumbler variation walk beyond veiny root-walls with a green lamp in hand. Reminiscent of Tower of Latria.

MT3p7pJJ_o.png

HX0IoD95_o.png

There are more mumblers here. At this stage I've lost hope of salvaging the run and am simply dashing back and forth along the tunnels, avoiding the mumblers and trying to take stock of the surroundings for the subsequent runs.

DnYC5sE7_o.png

5pIvTR4h_o.png

But here we discover giant organisms - purple in appearance, and criss crossed with binding webs. We find two of them, and on each one we are prompted to either leave or cut it open. I cut open both, which stops their beating, but does not affect anything else otherwise.

LeKEeoMn_o.png

F6EDfRj4_o.png

w3RrxK2s_o.png

Whatever is connected to this thing? Interesting. So something still draws life from the roots and the vines, and has more than the two hearts we've destroyed. Mumblers, then, are akin to white blood cells that want to expunge us from its tunnel-arteries.

pePP3e9E_o.png

KfpiIStm_o.png

But as we explore level 6, yep, another coin toss. And we fail once more. Level 7 here we goooo

TZ7FC11o_o.png

RQc2nrxO_o.png

Even the game gives us a sardonic message. We've delved too deep, and we know it. I checked the wiki, and the Dungeon of Fear and Hunger has 9 levels, so we are brushing against the most chthonic of depths on offer. Resigned to our fate, we poke around for a bit before discovering another mini library, with Enki inside no less.

xkgSUlm6_o.png

Damn, he gets around a lot.

ZB0F0M5Q_o.png

"How are you?"

SXAulW6g_o.png

Ok, have it your way. In the ritual circle room we find another book of enlightenment, which I didnt read this time (and really, I saw no need in saving at level 7 with no decent gear or party)

KSuWuSMB_o.png

0N3cN4sa_o.png

The wall murals are of Mahabre.
And the ritual circle here is the two intersecting circles with the 4 lines on the outside.

gD7DetRG_o.png

Back outside we are pounced on by a new enemy, a thing that looks like it's crawling on its hands and legs. The Night Lurch.
He has a flower growing out of its skull, the same flowers which we saw poking out the vines in the thickets above us.

nhqcQnUn_o.png

He trembles with excitement. Our attacks take off the flower and the horn, but its not enough. His claws slash and slash and slash.

MtzU1oDZ_o.png

lGCc6qvP_o.png

Until we keel over and die in the darkness of level 7.

QNzPJlMG_o.png

I hope he kills Enki next, the goth nerd.

JzDaqqfs_o.png

He falls right on top of me after death I presume. Sounds about right.

kyQFtovh_o.png

And we're back in the main menu. So, we've learned of Mahabre, the secretive old God (Я), the names of the new pantheon, and the 5th new God that is now forgotten. We've learned to avoid the mumblers in the thickets, and not to go deeper than level 4-5 unprepared. Next time we'll stay on the well trodden path and try to grind up some good gear and a party. Leave a comment which class you want to see next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom