Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mage Vs. Wizard & Thief Vs. Rogue

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It was already well explained so I'm just gonna say I prefer the wizard from the magic classes because aquiring your magic skills by rigorous study is cooler than being born with it or being a gay druid. But I do like the Paladin that purges evil with his divine powers.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The ways they are used in games are mysterious and not always can be explained logically.
But based on pure etymology rogue and wizard seem to be more broad terms, which include particular examples of thief and mage respectively.

A rogue is any mischievous guy that disregards norms of moral or lawful conduct.
The thief is a rogue who steals shit. The bard is a rogue who steals women hearts.

A wizard is any wisened or educated man, a scholar.
The mage is a wizard who is gay adept in magic.

Zlaja

Arcane
Mage and Rogue are catch-all terms

based on pure etymology rogue and wizard seem to be more broad terms

giphy.webp

Norfleet

"Wizard" sounds cooler than "mage". Non-nerds don't even know what a "mage" is. "Magic user" also sounds inelegant to me; reminds me of shounen manga, where they can never come up with a unique name for the characters who possess the trademark ability besides "x user" (stand user, ki user, etc). In my opinion, if you use magic, you're a fucking wizard.
Wizards need at least one of two things, though: A robe, or a wizard hat.

It was already well explained so I'm just gonna say I prefer the wizard from the magic classes because aquiring your magic skills by rigorous study is cooler than being born with it or being a gay druid. But I do like the Paladin that purges evil with his divine powers.
Acquiring magic skills by rigorous study is just a dorky nerd power fantasy. unsubstantiated by any of the mythological sources from which fantasy draws from. You WISH you could acquire magic powers that way. Even Gandalf isn't a wizard because he studied at Wizard-U. He's a wizard because he's magic.

laclongquan

Arcane
The term rogue imply a side meaning of operating alone unlike Thief which is just a name of a profession. This one just mean a better name, is all.

Wizard is better than mage because by that time they differentiate many type of wizards following their schools, as well as a generalist Wizard. So follow the latter way to calling has some more use.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Acquiring magic skills by rigorous study is just a dorky nerd power fantasy. unsubstantiated by any of the mythological sources from which fantasy draws from.
Not quite, not quite. The kabbalists, for example, are supposedly gaining their powers through extensive study. The hermeticists likewise.
...and how is that not a dorky nerd power fantasy?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Acquiring magic skills by rigorous study is just a dorky nerd power fantasy. unsubstantiated by any of the mythological sources from which fantasy draws from.
Not quite, not quite. The kabbalists, for example, are supposedly gaining their powers through extensive study. The hermeticists likewise.
...and how is that not a dorky nerd power fantasy?
It is, but at the same time those are some of the mythological sources from which fantasy draws from :)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
five editions of D&D
There's only 3 editions of D&D. D&D Basic and its revisions, AD&D 1E, and AD&D 2E. I don't see where you get those extra editions from. ;)
  1. Original Dungeons & Dragons (1974)
  2. Holmes Basic D&D (1977)
  3. Advanced D&D (1977-9)
  4. Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D (1981)
  5. Mentzer BECMI D&D (1983-6)
  6. AD&D 2nd edition (1989)
Six glorious editions +M

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
five editions of D&D
There's only 3 editions of D&D. D&D Basic and its revisions, AD&D 1E, and AD&D 2E. I don't see where you get those extra editions from. ;)
  1. Original Dungeons & Dragons (1974)
  2. Holmes Basic D&D (1977)
  3. Advanced D&D (1977-9)
  4. Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D (1981)
  5. Mentzer BECMI D&D (1983-6)
  6. AD&D 2nd edition (1989)
Six glorious editions +M

:hero:
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom