Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Magic: Legends - online action-RPG with CCG elements from Cryptic Studios - LOL dead

Will this be...

• Total voters

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they somehow manage to not ruin it with MTX.
They can't. MTG itself is already a soulless cashgrab, failing to make it so would actually be unfaithful to the source material.
Nah, MtG is a fine hobby if you have the time & money & dedication for it. And people to play it with.
What killed it for me was the way they kept churning out more and more product - I was no longer able to keep up without making it half my life or most of my leisure time.
Well, that and the power creep.

MtG Arena on the other hand is really just a cash grab - it's even more expensive than the real deal, which is just hilarious.

J1M

Arcane
PoE 2 and Diablo 4 are on the Horizon. It really seems like an excellent time for a company to enter the action rpg market. No competition at all is there?
Sliding out before those is actually a good idea. You let the big boys remind people the genre exists and then offer them a taste when they are blue-balled by delays.

Sharpedge

Prophet
For those curious (I don't expect anyone is), it is a (failed imo) Diablo clone. I got invited to the closed alpha/beta, decided to try at out and was not very impressed with what I saw. I don't think the people making it understand what people who like hack and slash games like about those types of games and so weren't able to make a game which is appealing to that type of audience. I suspect it will fail both at capturing the aRPG audience and the Magic audience.

Norfleet

Diablo Sans Loot was the word I got, which seems to firmly miss the mark.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Diablo Sans Loot was the word I got, which seems to firmly miss the mark.
Yes, its basically an action RPG without any items, with a hotbar where your keys randomly change every time you use an ability so you can never learn what ability is on what key. The hotbar switching is so frustrating that it is actually impressive. I am not sure who thought it was a good idea to create a system where you basically have a randomizer on your hotbar.

Norfleet

With creative keybinding, you can actually entirely bypass that issue by manually binding keys to specific abilities rather than ability slots. Catch being you have to update your binds every time you change any ability. But at least pressing a button will consistently invoke the same ability.

deuxhero

Arcane
For those curious (I don't expect anyone is), it is a (failed imo) Diablo clone. I got invited to the closed alpha/beta, decided to try at out and was not very impressed with what I saw. I don't think the people making it understand what people who like hack and slash games like about those types of games and so weren't able to make a game which is appealing to that type of audience. I suspect it will fail both at capturing the aRPG audience and the Magic audience.

Can you make a girl and take off her clothes?

Norfleet

I heard the character customization is the weakest of all the Craptic games. There were no customizable clothes from what I heard and saw, so I'm going with "no".

Sharpedge

Prophet

Can you make a girl and take off her clothes?
No. You can't really make characters either. The characters are all iconic magic characters.

ADL

Prophet
Fucking LOL
No cosmetic changes in gear? I'm sure they'll sell skins so it's pretty much Black Desert with even less visual customization because at least in Black Desert there was a small number of visual sets per character.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Fucking LOL
No cosmetic changes in gear? I'm sure they'll sell skins so it's pretty much Black Desert with even less visual customization because at least in Black Desert there was a small number of visual sets per character.
I didn't see any cosmetic changes in gear, but I assume there will be some. Basically, the way it plays is you pick one of these (what I am assuming are iconic magic characters, since I know nothing about magic), then you pick a selection of powers out of the entire list of powers available to you. Its designed sort of like deck building in a CCG. Then when you go into combat, every time you use a power it removes it from your hotbar (the idea behind it is that it is like you are playing a card), your hotbar shuffles over, a new power is "drawn" and added on the far right and all of your hotkeys have now changed to accommodate the shuffling of the powers. I suspect the main monetization will be selling random card packs to acquire new powers and selling heroes.

There isn't really any gear progression to speak of at all, so it fails pretty heavily as an action RPG.

deuxhero

Arcane
Really, having powers drawn as cards that the player has to work out how to combo in the heat of it isn't a bad concept, Baten Kaitos and it sequel did it really well as did Lost Kingdoms 2. The problem is the UI here is clearly set up so the "hand" size will never exceed 4. In Baten Kaitos 1 you had a hand size of 5 by the time you fought a boss with a full party of three (who each had separate hands and could discard cards every time an enemy attacked). At end-game you had a hand size of seven and most end-game cards could be used four different ways in a combo. In Lost Kingdoms 2, you could quickly send cards you didn't want at the moment to the bottom of your deck and the main limitation on the ability to do so was time (it was too slow to do more than more or two cards during a fight due to the need to dodge enemies and the time on your summoned monsters running out). In Baten Kaitos 2 you had one hand of eight for the whole party at the very start but a comparatively small variety of cards and much faster pace.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Really, having powers drawn as cards that the player has to work out how to combo in the heat of it isn't a bad concept, Baten Kaitos and it sequel did it really well as did Lost Kingdoms 2. The problem is the UI here is clearly set up so the "hand" size will never exceed 4. In Baten Kaitos 1 you had a hand size of 5 by the time you fought a boss with a full party of three (who each had separate hands and could discard cards every time an enemy attacked). At end-game you had a hand size of seven and most end-game cards could be used four different ways in a combo. In Lost Kingdoms 2, you could quickly send cards you didn't want at the moment to the bottom of your deck and the main limitation on the ability to do so was time (it was too slow to do more than more or two cards during a fight due to the need to dodge enemies and the time on your summoned monsters running out). In Baten Kaitos 2 you had one hand of eight for the whole party at the very start but a comparatively small variety of cards and much faster pace.
Concept might not be bad, execution surely is. In my opinion a better execution would be a hotbar with 20 abilities, where abilities are greyed out until drawn. This way there is no constant reshuffling of your "hand" and a player is actually able to learn which powers are bound to which keys. This will never happen however, because the game is undeniably designed with consoles in mind.

Also, there are potential problems with a drawing mechanism (holding a bunch of dump cards in your hand and then only spamming 1 key) which the devs tried to resolve by, on top of just having a drawing mechanism, also giving every card a mana cost and a cooldown.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Each card has a cool down? Can you even have multiple copies of a card in your deck in this shit? How badly do you have to fuck up to make your game around cards and force uniqueness? It's a key balance factor on top of being important for customization: A single copy of a more powerful card can be obtained, but the player can't use it consistently, and when the player can freely get whatever cards they want, more powerful cards can be limited to one.

How did they handle non-Red? Red seems the easiest to adapt since it's full of direct blasts and mana acceleration (temp mana in a hack and slash), but I have no idea how the other four (let alone colorless) could be done.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Each card has a cool down? Can you even have multiple copies of a card in your deck in this shit? How badly do you have to fuck up to make your game around cards and force uniqueness? It's a key balance factor on top of being important for customization: A single copy of a more powerful card can be obtained, but the player can't use it consistently, and when the player can freely get whatever cards they want, more powerful cards can be limited to one.

How did they handle non-Red? Red seems the easiest to adapt since it's full of direct blasts and mana acceleration (temp mana in a hack and slash), but I have no idea how the other four (let alone colorless) could be done.
Each card has a CD and you can have multiple copies of 1 card. The benefit of having multiple copies of coarse being that it increases the probability of drawing what you want. They have adapted all of the colours, but I don't know anything about the card game itself and as far as I could tell, aside from thematic differences there wasn't any real gameplay difference between them.

ADL

Prophet
Cryptic. Epic Games Store exclusive. Magic IP. Not even released and people are already outraged by what has been said about the monetization. I can only imagine how they'll monetize exclusive classes, deck slots, loadouts and probably even the cards themselves. Hardest of passes on this shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't care about Cryptic or EGS exclusivity, but that trailer just... I mean... generic epic battle music + generic mobile cartoon graphics + mobile-looking interface + apparently only 4 action buttons and that's it?
At that point, why even bother with the MtG license.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom