Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Berekän, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    Wider internet is in open riot over the IRL magic stuff with the new secret lair having black border cards.
    People are also mad over the botched rotation (same decks strong as before rotation) and conservative ban on Uro only.

I wonder how WOTC will react. I don't think they will do nothing, the salt is gaining a lot of traction.

^ Top  
  2. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. zerotol Arcane Patron

zerotol
    lol

You are aware the top deck is 4C OMNATH right?

Ugin is 7 mana and doesnt give 4 life WURG 4 damage

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    GOT MYSELF A BIG ONE TODAY BOYS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

welcome to

^ Top  
  5. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gyor Learned

Gyor
    Correction the Walking Dead is only Legacy Legal, not Standard legal. This was a product targetted to Commander, yet it will back fire hard. Talk is the Commander Commitee might ban it preemptively.

I think WotC corse correcting instead, by promising these cards will get a future reprint with new art and names.

^ Top  
  7. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bara Magister

Bara
    I wonder how much the walking dead paid them for this cross promotion because there is no way they'd do this otherwise.

The fact that the cards also have unique mechanics that have never been printed on any other card ontop of only being available in those time limited secret lair boxes is stupid.

^ Top  
  9. Gyor Learned

Gyor
    There appears to be 100% agreement with you on that, across political lines, among MtG fans, very rare. I have yet to see anyone support this idea. Even WotC employees aren't defending it, at least not as far as I can see.

Given the shear magnitude of the backlash, I have no doubt that WotC is scrambling to figure out what is the least costly solution that gets them out of the dog house. The one I can think of is a promise to print these with alt art and names in a future commander product or Modern Horizens 2. I considered they might stick an alt reprint in Standard set like FR, until I remembered they don't switch borders on cards, so it has to be an eternal format product.

^ Top  
  10. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

^ Top  
  11. RuySan Augur

RuySan
    While I do play arena I've been out of paper MTG for almost 20 years, so I'm really not getting the walking dead thing. "Secret lair", "drop" are meaningless to me, and the official website assumes everyone knows what a "drop" is.

Can anyone explain to me wtf is this?

^ Top  
  12. spectre Arcane

spectre
    "Drop" seems to be the new gaymer lingo for "delivering desirable goods", y'know, a supply drop or when you beat a boss and he drops something. Your expected Pavlov's reaction is to be excited for it as well as instill a sense of urgency, cause, y'know, limited time offer.
    Didn't care much for the secret lair, but it seems to be some premium shit for whales, collectors, and people deluding themselves they're getting value when buying cardboard... or just have too much money in general.

This link should get you covered, it's mostly card packs with alternative, themed art:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-recap-2019-11-25

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    ^ Top  
  13. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bara Magister

Bara
    There is always the old DOS era magic game on abandonware if you ever just want to play with the older cards and use it when you need arena meta breaks.

I believe there are mods to allow for custom cards along with pvp but never tried those yet just the single player.

^ Top  
  15. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    yes, but generally speaking, you can kind of handle a single omnath if you kill it right away. In most cases however even if you kill ugin in response to the first activation, you've probably still lost.

I think the newest version on the torrent sites is called "Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010"

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    2010's an updated version with all the MTG cards up to 2010. There's a harder to find version for 2016 cards right here, though of course it's kind of sloppy because the AI doesn't handle it super well and the Shandalar interface is so clunky, but it's fun to play around with.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B08oiM02qC8KZ3pYUXZ0dmlhNUk/view

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bara Magister

Bara
    If anyone want's a little chuckle wotc had a live stream talking about the new secret lair. I almost feel bad for the guys they brought out just to get shot.

Their still going in chat after the live stream so much so they stopped hosting another streamer after the live show so they wouldn't get caught in the middle of all the anger.

On main topic anyone got a recommendation for a good deck theme in arena. I'm kinda lame and like my decks having a thematic story about them rather than simple strong combos.

Like my old paper deck was a bunch of knights "questing" for world slayer.

^ Top  
  18. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    seems weird that they would have a panel talking about paper product on twitch, and they streamed it in the MTGA category. i'd expect a lot of people who don't care about paper just raging about mtga issues lol
    BASED not lame

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Multi-headed Cow Magister

Multi-headed Cow
    My deck's theme is Alpha Centauri, I get to this theme by playing lotus cobra and Omnath because Planet is angry. :M

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

^ Top  
  21. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

^ Top  
  22. communard Arcane

communard
    I fucking hate how people whine about whatever the current good deck is instead of how the client is fucking SHIT, the monetization model is nothing but FOMO and penny-pinching bullshit and MTG in general being handled by blue-haired psychos and Hasbro vampires.

Just fucking fix the client, put as many formats and cards in as quickly as possible and let me pay a reasonable amount of money to acquire the cards I need to have fun.

^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

^ Top  
  24. communard Arcane

communard
    There's no way coding in new cards is a difficult process, if it is then the client is fundamentally broken. New mechanics and niche interactions might cause some headaches and lead to some wacky bugs but for fucks sake programming isn't that hard, if it is at this stage of development you've been doing something wrong from the beginning.

As for monetization, standard is kind of sort of maybe f2p if you grind like a motherfucker and rare draft a lot. Standard is also fucking boring, and so is grinding bot draft for rares.

The big problem is that what you get when you do spend money is kind of pitiful. I don't think it's a good business model when the customer feels bad after every purchase. Several of the reward systems need to be tweaked. The gem rewards you get if you have the full set of a rare/mythic are a joke. Especially the gem value of a mythic. The mastery pass should refund itself in currency like almost every other game in the genre that has a similar system. Also the vault is just fucking lol.

The end result is that if you want to be able to play a variety of decks in and not be confined to standard the game ends up feeling like a job or a scam.

• Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.