Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Multi-headed Cow there appears to be another weird jumpstart thing incomming
https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena/events
Oct 14 - Nov 11
JUMPSTART
Jump In!

no one knows what is it
:what:
No idea, but that's curious. I would guess it's another short run of regular Jumpstart but I could've sworn they did one shortly before JHH so that sounds less likely.

And as for those sleeves, that "Bundle insert" one is in the... Uh... Whatever they call the green shit on the mastery pass. The extra goodies for post rotation. IIRC that's the final green shit reward. I remembered it since it's kind of a nice toned down sleeve.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
not enjoying quick drafts so I decided to cut them short this time and open packs early. Luckily I did get my meathook massacre.

There are many nice black cards to be had but most are very good in limited so obtaining them is unlikely.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
my (brawl) terraforming korvold deck did the thing I wanted it to since I crafter wrenn
y4meJGWNWSpgrTDymYf7zmRsFinQ8lSiVvPpNZrM5u15MJ4r_hIWccpywN4oUPTLG9JpTV0UFxcVwlfWBqBN6vyx4gsRTXOeNfFRz8Y-URYXhfkY6UBdDNXOqmKLDoLMifxuIzC6daPe7Wn-m_QPgca1IziEmW8v2-M6NX6mkyFpuQJBmLSZxRnxp1_2W7cXUwv

wrenn + korvold + scapeshift into massive land vomit. Was clicking whatever like a madman not to hit timer

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Multi-headed Cow https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-october-13-2021
In the style of Jumpstart, get ready for Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Jump In! Arriving tomorrow, October 14, in this event you'll select two themed packets of cards—but these packets are made up of Standard-legal cards. Try out playstyles in the Standard format without a heavy focus on deckbuilding—just jump in and play!
half the price for half the reward count. Im curious to see packet list. I wasnt drafting too heavilly recently so perhaps I might be able to fill some void?

Multi-headed Cow https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-october-13-2021
In the style of Jumpstart, get ready for Innistrad: Midnight Hunt Jump In! Arriving tomorrow, October 14, in this event you'll select two themed packets of cards—but these packets are made up of Standard-legal cards. Try out playstyles in the Standard format without a heavy focus on deckbuilding—just jump in and play!
half the price for half the reward count. Im curious to see packet list. I wasnt drafting too heavilly recently so perhaps I might be able to fill some void?
Oh, awesome. Yeah unless the packs completely fucking suck I'll probably play some of that too since I wasn't that crazy about draft for this set either. Be warned that the ICR is uncommon with only a 5% chance to get bumped to rare or mythic, but if it's 1k gold for 2 rares/mythics in the packets you're still ahead of the curve compared to cracking packs anyway. Except... I guess not really since cracking packs can open wildcards and move you along the wildcard track. Eh. Depending on what's in the packs I still may play it a bit.

Surprised to see all that tweaking on the digital only cards, too. Glad they're formalizing the brainstorm ban so we get wildcards, don't really care about the trickery ban, and mildly glad about suspending memory lapse just because it was bitch to play against. Arguably would rather face regular 2 mana counterspell than memory lapse most of the time.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just a heads up that Brainstorm and Tibalt's Trickery were both banned in Historic yesterday (and Memory Lapse is "suspended"). Both bannings will go into effect today (10/14) and presumably we will get our wildcards for our copies.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Hello everyone.
ZpYlN8S.jpg

Not bragging. My only surviving cards, it used to be 60 card deck yet some cards are missing by this time. I don't really play anymore and I know it's an amateur deck yet I wanted to ask everyone about it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Multi-headed Cow there is only single packet that have a slight chance chance of 2 cards and thats only with 10% chance.

I might be quite interested in it provided that I get to pick zombies often...

Disappointed the new Jumpstart thing isn't just new Innistrad cards. On one hand it's bad for me for farming cards, but on the other hand that's actually pretty decent for newbies to pick up cards for standard. Didn't look over the packs enough to judge how many of the rares/mythics are playable but for people who only play standard it doesn't seem too bad. I'll probably play it a bit. Unfortunately it does say that your first pick will always offer you a packet you haven't picked (Until you've picked all of them) so that will slightly hinder repeated nailing of zombies.

I don't really play anymore and I know it's an amateur deck yet I wanted to ask everyone about it.
Pretty sure Jason Liang's the main (Only?) one who still plays paper. Suspiciously white, though.

Multi-headed Cow there is only single packet that have a slight chance chance of 2 cards and thats only with 10% chance.

I might be quite interested in it provided that I get to pick zombies often...
I'm in a similar boat, but since you're offered 3 packs and then 3 packs I'm thinking it might be worth playing a bit since even with Kaldheim and AFR cards in there you can navigate around stuff you've got playsets of (Or genuinely don't want). First go I got sungold sentinel and champion of the perished, then next go I got smoldering egg and Tovolar. Which means thus far at least my hits in Innistrad rares I could use is pretty good. Unfortunately I did see the mythics are quite a lot rarer, gone are the early Jumpstart days of "See a planeswalker pack, take a planeswalker pack" and instead you get shit like Modenkainen as a 10% chance in a single pack. Also not getting me the rare land cycle from Innistrad so there are certainly some drawbacks to this, but at basically half price it's probably still worth it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm in a similar boat, but since you're offered 3 packs and then 3 packs I'm thinking it might be worth playing a bit
burned quickly 15k(since you have nearly 0 incentive to actually play your deck now) and it went quite well.
Did my homework first, basically half of the packs were dead to me, 6/39 were highly sought.

Ended up with some jank hoard that might be used in future weird historic decks.

Abused color matching as much as I could, many times picked rogues even though I have full playset, but it locked me in desired colors.
This resulted in me having playset now of acerak and jerren. Sadly this added 2 dead packets in highly desired black color... Still it feels good securing 8 janky mythics

As usual dumping money into jumpstart with spreadsheet ready is addicting. Was hoping to secure full playset of skeletal swarming and champion of the perished... Also lacking single copy of blex

I might try to spin a wheel few more times. Quite a gample, if you dump 6k and dont get desired rare(especially if you game the system by picking dups) you are much better of buying 6 packs. Maybe one should pick strategy like: keep playing until you fizzle 3 times in a row?

WotC has cleverly fucked my MTGA when I had a double mythic packet selection.
US2CHlh.jpg

So then I think "Well I'll drop back to the menu and come back in", which gives this result. Same thing after closing down MTGA and restarting the program.

7eVJJ1I.jpg

Kinda looking like there's more bitching to MTGA support in my future, which will probably just give me a refund and not give me my damn cards. :argh:
Pain in the ass since I would've liked a Jerren and wouldn't have minded another archlich.

Maybe one should pick strategy like: keep playing until you fizzle 3 times in a row?
You'd have to consider unwanted rares fizzles, since a lot of these could keep you going for ages otherwise. Unwanted rares being fizzling was what finally chased me out of JHH, was still consistently pulling in cards but the amount of stuff I even wanted for jank was so low I eventually threw in the towel.

WotC has outsmarted me once again, since when I go to their support page and try to log in I get "Unexpected error. Please try again." and can't log in to tell them their shit's fucked.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
WotC has outsmarted me once again, since when I go to their support page and try to log in I get "Unexpected error. Please try again." and can't log in to tell them their shit's fucked.
i think wait time is 2 weeks to have someone even look at your ticket. At least it used to be the case recently

Finally got through to send my ticket in, fucking hell. Even worse because I went from really happy with those picks (Aw yeah, Jerren's a card I'm missing and will be fun jank and archlich should be some grade-a jank too! Sure do love playing Magic) to the crushing disappointment of losing the cards, potentially losing the gold, and having to deal with fucking WotC support again.

i think wait time is 2 weeks to have someone even look at your ticket. At least it used to be the case recently
They might've finally settled that after the clusterfuck earlier since I didn't get any warnings of long waits for my ticket now unlike previously. Fingers crossed at least.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hello everyone.

Not bragging. My only surviving cards, it used to be 60 card deck yet some cards are missing by this time. I don't really play anymore and I know it's an amateur deck yet I wanted to ask everyone about it.
I don't know what to say. It is strictly a casual deck, and not close to being competitive in Modern (which is the legal format for it) - White weenie is not a competitive decktype in Modern. If you want to play white weenie, it is doing quite ok in the current Standard, and in the MTG Arena only Historic format, Angels, lifegain, white Auras, and "death and taxes" type white weenie decks are playable.

If you want to play a similar deck in Modern, you might think about investing in a set of Stoneforge Mystics.

Stoneforge-Mystic-2XM-672.jpg

The Double Masters printing should still be fairly affordable. ... or not. Yikes.

Ok a cheaper option would be to play Pioneer. White/ Red equipment decks should be fairly affordable. Check your local game store to see if there are other Pioneer players.

Still haven't heard back from WotC and still not REALLY fixed, but I was able to start my run. Looking over other people bitching about the issue it seems it only happens if you get a mono colored deck. Occasionally it would time out and give me the option of selecting a packet 2 (Which I'd always take tomb again because I wanted that fucking lich and it'd get stuck again) but this time I tried Phandelver and it went through fine. So odds are don't pick a single color for both packets in Jump In or you'll get fucked. Now I just have to hope WotC doesn't destroy my account since I went at it with a toilet plunger after sending in my ticket.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i did pick double mono few times and were fine.
myself im done, got too many packets crossed out. like 20k gold in total.

i did pick double mono few times and were fine.
myself im done, got too many packets crossed out. like 20k gold in total.
Weird, dunno what the deal is then. I'm probably around 15k and things are getting sketchy, I'll probably duck out around the same as you. My gold reserves took another big hit after barely crawling back after JHH and minimal drafts but this event seems to be spitting out enough good shit to be worth it. Might also be the cheapest gold-to-vault thing out there since it feels like you get around 5% per 1k. Even at this "Favorable" rate it's still not worth much consideration but it's nice anyway. Next set I probably should exclusively draft with gems just to give my gold a chance to stock back up since it's always good to have a nice pile in case something odd happens like this.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
im drafting with gems past 2 sets and its fine. Expect next one to be same and since its long one, gold will recover(potentially to be spent on another anthology/jumpstart?).

Totting up the packs it looks like a bit over half the packets are duds for me now. Still counting some cards that are arguably unplayable even as jank as hits but might be time to bail. Feel like I should try a bit more since Adeline for wh*te is attainable and looks good, and Tovolar's good if I ever want to be a furry. Capped out my champions of the perished though so I can once again regret not buying the first anthology and consider crafting those cryptbreakers.

im drafting with gems past 2 sets and its fine. Expect next one to be same and since its long one, gold will recover(potentially to be spent on another anthology/jumpstart?).
Sure hope the next set's a long one, feels like we've been moving through shit to spend funny money on too rapidly since they smacked us with JHH. Been having fun playing but too many cards.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
had a sweet brawl win, in a single turn managed to place liliana on board, proliferate 3 times with yawgmoth followed with ultimate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom