Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mark Morgan To Be Composer For Wasteland 2

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Even though I love Morgans job on PS:T, they initially hired Lustmord to do the soundtrack (you can hear some snippet in the Torment Trailer which is on the Baldur's Gate:Tales of the Swordcoast addon-CD) - it sounded fucking good. I wish they would have had actually the balls to use Lustmords music. :(
Likewise, you can hear some of his PST work on the Metavoid album, it's probably my favourite album of his. He said that it's not worth releasing the stuff he did on it because there wouldn't be enough interest and the old files are in a non-readable format.

http://www.lustmord.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=259&hilit=planescape

Can really hear the PST in this one.

Baron

Arcane
What with his love life shattered like a pumpkin casually thrown from a highway overpass I am hoping that our own resident composer has the bleak desolate state of mind to produce a quality Wasteland soundtrack.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
*googles Lustmord, finds a bunch of faggotry*

Why is it that musicians that produce music which is allegedly more "professional" somehow rate higher then musicians which produce music for other mediums, like film or video games, when the difference is only marginal?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Those Lustmord tracks are pretty good but the man can only write songs in this mood and it would be too much too hear this kind of stuff through the whole game. It would be cool if they had used them in a couple of areas though. Baator and Pillar of sculls would fit them nicely.

Suchy

Arcane
Lustmord and Robert Rich made the 'Stalker' album, inspired by Tarkovsky's movie. It nails the mood and would fit the game perfectly as well.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
*googles Lustmord, finds a bunch of faggotry*

Why is it that musicians that produce music which is allegedly more "professional" somehow rate higher then musicians which produce music for other mediums, like film or video games, when the difference is only marginal?

Why is it that an oldfag like Azimov who is allegedly more "professional" somehow rates higher than a dude like Drew Karpyshyn who writes text for other mediums, like video games, when the difference is only marginal?

Probably because the difference is not fucking marginal.

Though I also don't understand enamourment with Lustmord in this thread. Sure, he's one of the biggest names on the ambient scene, but I always found him one of the most boring musicians there, something like Bioware of it. And that stalker album is definitely overhyped - not the Rich's best by far and not half as impressive as they say it is(at least not for anyone who listens mainly ambient).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why is it that an oldfag like Azimov who is allegedly more "professional" somehow rates higher than a dude like Drew Karpyshyn who writes text for other mediums, like video games, when the difference is only marginal?

Probably because the difference is not fucking marginal.

Not in the example you picked. Nice fucking straw man dude, total burn.

If you read my original statement you will notice that the difference between the artists in question was postulated a priori to be marginal as a conditional to my point. That is, if the difference between one artist within a given medium is negligible compared to a similar artist in another, why should we rate one above the other?

Video game musicians are not generally considered to be "real" artists, even though their work often ranks higher then actual "professionals" in the recording industry.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
If you read my original statement you will notice that the difference between the artists in question was postulated a priori to be marginal as a conditional to my point. That is, if the difference between one artist within a given medium is negligible compared to a similar artist in another, why should we rate one above the other?

Because the difference is not marginal. I dunno what you were formulating in your imagination, but we're in a thread about Mark Morgan (also somehow touching Brian Lustmord) so we're talking about him, not about some hypothetical undervalued composer. And the difference is huge here - while Morgan is OK for video games, he's no Lustmord, no Raison d'Etre, no Steve Roach, no Robert Rich, to put it shortly, he's not a great dark ambient composer. His planescape job is mostly bland and his fallout osts have a couple of decent tracks, but nothing more than that. You can argue with this, but since you're obviously not into this scene, your arguments won't be worth a damn.

And it goes for pretty much every game composer that there is - I won't even touch "grand" figures like Inon Zur, since he's bad even by video game standards, but even most good soundtracks are decent at best by the standards of "real" composers. There are some exceptions, I guess, but that's what they are - exceptions - and the rest clearly follow the rule.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
but since you're obviously not into this scene

Clearly i'm not, since i remain nonplussed by of any it.

Even regarding Morgan, the only stuff he wrote that has managed to stick in my head doesn't have anything to do with "ambient" whatsoever, so its obvious that we are looking at this from diametrically opposed perspectives.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Perhaps you should have actually googled Lyric Suite rather then make yourself look like an ignorant shit bag.

Perhaps you should have known I was referring to you and not which your username is referring to for the sake of humor rather than make yourself look like an ignorant and humorless shit bag.

Butthurt Aphex Twin fanboys detected.

Errr, sure I dig Aphex Twin. But why the shit would I care if you do? I was simply jabbing you for your lame-dicked post about Lustmord earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom